• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
People just have to get on the level. In Discord today I changed my avatar to James K Polk and insist that it's the late 1840s, that British Columbia is an affront to America, and that Henry Clay is a punkass.

The point is the nonsequitor.

Untogether

Oct 29, 2017
We had a great one here today in Brussels. Someone put a post on Facebook that there was going to be a festival, La Boum, held in the Bois de la Cambre park in Brussels on April 1st. It went on to state that there would be "eight stages, a hundred DJs and zero coronavirus rules".

It ended predictably.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So long as the jokes are obviously jokes and they aren't mean spirited I don't see any problems with it.

One day of the year where people aren't super cynical would be a nice change of pace.
this, the hate April fools day gets online for usually mundane or obvious jokes strikes me as weird lol

at worst, the jokes are usually just kinda lame, but at that point, no harm anyhow

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The harmless jokes are fine but too often they lead to cruel fake game announcements or just obvious lies.

Those aren't jokes you're just lying. Also some sites become unusable for the day. Annoying.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
There are good April's Fools jokes and there are just mean ones.

Cartoon Network is calling itself Cat-toon Network today and cats keep popping up on the screen during their shows. I saw it this morning while my daughter was having breakfast and I chuckled.

Someone faked a Facebook post from the Seattle Times saying that the West Seattle Bridge was reopened to the public today. It's been closed for over a year now and people that live over there have had a really hard time getting into the rest of the city. That's a shitty April fools joke as it's just mean to get their hopes up like that.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yup. I haven't seen an actually funny April Fool's joke in ages. It's usually cringy and completely obvious stuff or absolute clusterfucks which, I admit, I sometimes can laugh at. Just not in the way it was intended.

Also, this year I feel is the least active april fools day I've ever witnessed, which is a good thing. People are tired, companies are wary. The Voltswagon fuckup is literally all I've seen.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
For April Fool's Day you should watch the slasher movie by the same name. The 1986 one I mean.

220px-Aprilfoolsday_poster.jpg

Dodger

Banned
May 30, 2020
I'm just glad I'm not seeing women post fake pregnancy announcements on social media anymore. That got annoying when that went on for a few years.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this, the hate April fools day gets online for usually mundane or obvious jokes strikes me as weird lol

at worst, the jokes are usually just kinda lame, but at that point, no harm anyhow
Yup it's generally so harmless yet with the intense hatred you see on forums like this one you would think someone just killed their dog.

focusedmaple

Oct 27, 2017
Dealing with misinformation potentially decimating my democracy has soured my taste for fake information advertising masking as "funny" jokes.

Fuck April 1

Last edited:

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I can't say I follow enough corporations close enough to have even noticed any fake announcements.

I spent April 1 doing work, playing video games, cooking etc. Was like any other day.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Most April Fools jokes are bottom tier "jokes" where the punchline is, "you believed me."

There is nothing charming about deceiving people.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
Can't agree. No one ever seems to do the "hah, April Fools!" thing anymore. All it seems to be is companies clowning around on the Internet, and I love that. Sometimes it's really impressive and funny. Way back, IKEA Australia recorded a fake commercial for a new product called "Hundstol", which was a highchair that allowed the family dog to sit at the dinner table (the name literally translates to "dog chair"). They had an Aussie actor doing an impression of a Swede speaking American English with a thick accent. Except it did not sound like a Swedish accent at all, which just added to the absurdity of the whole thing.

It's not a day where everyone wants you to go out and buy stuff. It's just about brand building. So it's one of the best "days" IMO.

EDIT: found it

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I'm not really a fan. If you want to celebrate it, don't set out to trick people in an obnoxious or lazy way. Use it as an opportunity for clever humor, or some over-the-top parody that's actually good.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's just 1 day, now if it was a week I'd agree. I personally like to see what companies come up with, and if they're actually dumb I just pass it off. I don't contribute to it at all, well, except with my family with us making dumb jokes and harmless scares.