• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The AP has reported that Mitch McConnell is warning CEOs to "stay out of politics" stating that it's a "big lie" to call the recently enacted Georgia voting law racist:

After new law, McConnell warns CEOs: 'Stay out of politics' (apnews.com)

WASHINGTON (AP) — Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell says it's a "big lie" to call the new voting law in Georgia racist and he warned big business to "stay out of politics" after major corporations and even Major League Baseball distanced themselves from the state amid vast public pressure.

McConnell particularly slammed President Joe Biden's criticism that the Georgia bill was restrictive and a return to Jim Crow-era restrictions in the Southern states aimed limiting ballot access for Black Americans.

"It's simply not true," McConnell told reporters Monday.

The choice by the GOP leader to dive into voting politics lends heft to efforts nationwide to install strict new voting laws after Donald Trump's false claims of fraud that cost him the election to Biden. The new laws are aimed at scaling back early voting and other options that became wildly popular during the pandemic.

Even more, McConnell's warning to big business not to get involved shows the scramble Republicans face as progressive groups are shining a spotlight on corporate America to live up to its brands and values as Congress takes on voting rights, gun violence and other issues Republicans have resisted.

The Republican leader has been among the most outspoken champions of the role of big money in elections, promoting the free-flow of undisclosed dollars to campaigns as a form of Constitution-protected free speech.

Speaking in Kentucky, McConnell said Monday it's simply "not accurate" to say the Georgia law is making it more difficult to vote.

McConnell also criticized Biden for criticizing the law, saying the president's claims had been fact-checked as false.

"The President has claimed repeatedly that state-level debates over voting procedures are worse than Jim Crow or 'Jim Crow on steroids.' Nobody actually believes this," McConnell said in a lengthy statement earlier Monday.

"Nobody really thinks this current dispute comes anywhere near the horrific racist brutality of segregation."

McConnell more pointedly warned the big business that have been responding to public pressure on their corporate actions not to give in to the advocacy campaigns.

"It's jaw-dropping to see powerful American institutions not just permit themselves to be bullied, but join in the bullying themselves," he said.

McConnell warned companies not to get involved in voting issues or other upcoming debates on environmental policy or gun violence heading to Congress.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Sounds like he's trying to jujitsu the "big lie" phrase that has been universally attributed to Trump's and his party's election fraud claims.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trying to appropriate and re-define "the big lie" too, I see. Their playbook might as well be plastered on the side of buildings for how obvious it is.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
It's such a relief to openly and correctly state that no one cares anymore what this despicable monster has to say.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
The GOP is so fucking lost, Capitalism is virtue signaling to millennials because they have purchasing power. They can't argue free market principles when corporations are making decisions that are based on the market, and their political ideology is dying and only propped up by discrimination and exclusion.

jalkerway

Oct 27, 2017
That's an awful lot of "no it's not" and "doesn't come close to jim crow", but uh... what is it then? I'd like to see one republican explain why all the changes are actually necessary.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Why do Conservatives want to infringe on corporations' (aka, people) free speech rights?

Freedom of association is another freedom Conservatives seem to be very hostile to. Conservatives' entire idea of freedom is the freedom to own guns and the freedom to be a racist POS.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
GOP Logic
Campaign donations are protected and corporations should be able to donate unlimited amounts
Speaking out against laws is not.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many channels Mitch had to go through so that his overlords would allow him to say this.

Oct 25, 2017
What are you going to do Mitch? Tell people not to buy their products? Raise their taxes? This is just pathetic flailing from an incontinent old fool.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
16705e9c6cbe900e309b9aa16a1a6256342931662913ab305138839fa239f7dc_1.jpg

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Good I hate that the mainstream learned the term "woke", not only are they using it wrong they are beating it into the ground

Deleted member 61002

Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Why do Conservatives want to infringe on corporations' (aka, people) free speech rights?

Freedom of association is another freedom Conservatives seem to be very hostile to. Conservatives' entire idea of freedom is the freedom to own guns and the freedom to be a racist POS.

They never cared about freedom, only that it served them well when they needed it to. They'll defend refusing service to LGBT couples trying to get a wedding cake that celebrates their marriage under the guise of "freedom" (Oh but you can get a cake, you just can't have the cake that you want) but then draft a law to make it illegal to deny service to people who won't wear masks which literally kill people. They'll outlaw yoga because "it'll lead to Hinduism" (Alabama), defend LGBT marriages being illegal (nation wide for centuries), and defend tens of millions being jailed for low level drug offenses but then compare having to have a vaccine for a disease that has killed 600k+ people in America alone to potentially shop at places who require it to being the Jews in Nazi Germany. They don't act in good faith and never have.

Last edited:

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
"Stay out of politics" says the party that constantly have the CEOs of MyPillow and Goya at their rallies for not staying out of politics.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Mitch is threatening CEOs!?
R8bea3cbd5b2a231dcb595d549a644f43

You know what, I actually support the GOP biting the hand that feeds.

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
"Stay out of politics"? Sure, why don't we start with the cessation of corporate donations to Mitch's and the Republican Party's campaigns?

"Stay out of politics" says the party that constantly have the CEOs of MyPillow and Goya at their rallies for not staying out of politics.
Lol. Not just rallies, but during the president's actual, nationally-televised press conferences.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
I've been skewering every "proud" GQP voter over this whole shindig lately.

"Like I've been saying for over four years..."

Baseball and Big Business, and I heard some Faux Noise windbag shading on the military. I mean, sure; go after it all and apple pie since you're attacking voting and all that.

Glad more are seeing the board from above. Will end this stupid hurtful game sooner rather than later.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
how is not giving people in line to vote, food or water, some how a beacon of integrity and voter security..? I wish somoene would make these fucks answer this just so we could all see them on record saying fuck those black people.

WHen it doesn't happen, it makes it out to be some sort of just simple security measures. No, you all tried to stop sunday voting. Failed there, but continued in that spirit to limit hours/locations.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
This motherfucker really thought he could do permanent minority rule and that nobody with power would get mad about it.

Xalechim

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't it wild how this party is just an assembly of Sociopaths? Like they all know exactly what they are doing when they make these laws, but since the law doesn't say, "black people cant vote." They act dumbfounded when you call them out on it.

it's all just a big charade, but it's always amazing to me that they are all knowingly in on it.