• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I just started looking for a job again after getting a new work visa. I did get a non paying job last year and worked that for a whole year, but i wasn't getting paid and had to quit the job beginning of this year because work visa expired. I was recommended for this job.

I spent the whole of last year looking for a better job that pays and I had absolutely no luck even getting 1 call back. Like I never got a single call back, just rejections or heard nothing back.

Now I'm looking again and i''m just so disheartened. I have bad luck at this point because I never ever get call backs and frankly it's getting to me.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Flew out for a job interview in SF. Company put me up and everything went really smoothly with the interviews. They turned me down for a previous position (hired internally), but are considering me for two other positions, either in NYC or SF. Won't hear back until next week though.

Still, it was fun to travel so far for an interview. I had to take a red-eye back, but I have a good vibe about the job. We'll see, I've kinda been here before with nothing to show for it, so who knows.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Flew out for a job interview in SF. Company put me up and everything went really smoothly with the interviews. They turned me down for a previous position (hired internally), but are considering me for two other positions, either in NYC or SF. Won't hear back until next week though.

Still, it was fun to travel so far for an interview. I had to take a red-eye back, but I have a good vibe about the job. We'll see, I've kinda been here before with nothing to show for it, so who knows.
Was it for a junior position? I was told companies won't fly people out for entry level positions.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
Should I say yes on saying it's ok to contact my previous employers?

I'm afraid if I say no then that will look bad but previous supervisors didn't like me a lot so

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
It looks kinda bad if your against it but generally many employers ask if its ok before contacting previous supervisors. They probably won't ask if you say no... It's hard to say though if they will contact them in general. Seems like some jobs that ask for many sources of previous employment don't ask, some that ask for even one just in case always do -shrug-

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish companies wouldn't fear telling you why they aren't hiring you. After a recruiter contacted me based on my LinkedIn profile, I had a great initial phone call, the job was literally the perfect thing for me, fitting my skills, experience, and passion, even my side projects I did at home, and that came out in the call. I was told to send my resume, that I would be considered for two positions. I sent in my resume, and six days later, "Unfortunately, we have decided not to move forward with your candidacy." They must have not liked something about my resume, I wish I knew what.

Another time, I had gone through three phone interviews, things seemed going great, and they had me take a technical test, given a task to write a program and given three days to do it (basically, it was to recreate something the company had already done, and I replicated it exactly). I sent in the program the next day, and was told that they literally had never received a better interview test. A week later, "You aren't what we are looking for".

That happened to me recently, had an interview feedback was really positive, they loved me and thought I would be a perfect fit in the team, had a project to do and they said they were really impressed with what I had done to, fast forward a few days and apparently they have no room in the office for me to work.....this was all through a recruiter so I think he just didn't want to tell
Me the truth that I wasn't quite as good as he made out. I was confused as hell.

When is it a good time to ask for a raise?

How long have you been there? When was the last raise you had?

Also make a case for why you deserve a raise, what have you bought to the company, have you improved things by doing X, are you doing more work being helpful etc it all helps if you can explain why you think you deserve a raise when asking your boss for more money

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So embarrassing moment for a recruiter I have been in touch with about a job,I had a conversation with him about the job as the interview was a couple of weeks ago (guy who did the interview was on holiday for a week) and he sends me a reply saying he'd just spoken with me to keep me warm and it's the role I want so doesn't a reason I wouldn't accept the job.

Obviously meant for the company I am applying for.

Awkward.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
STRESSED

Got 4 interviews in so many days all of a sudden but with varying requests/information for them. Two are pretty detailed and laid down what I should submit, and really damn quickly too! Other people get about 2 or 3 weeks to do this stuff but "because I'm experienced" they asked me to do it by Monday and submit it -ugh- Gotta make a video before one interview, another I have to do an in person meeting with a recruiter but fly to Osaka for that on Saturday. The other two have given no real info, just that they will call on skype and talk for about an hour or less.

Really wish I had more skills so I can branch out of this slightly shadey field... or at least to a more professional feeling one. Gotta get my multi-lingual and techincial skills up in the next year or two for sure. Don't exactly want to do the jobs I'm applying for but they are the best way to stay stable for the foreseeable future.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
Just had a interview for a driving position but 2yrs ago or 3 I was considered at fault and when I got T boned

So probably not going to get it unless its been over 3yrs like I hope

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
I have been back on the job hunt lately after 4 years and damn it doesn't get any easier.

So far I have failed a senior role despite acing the technical test, and then I went on and fucking bombed a mid-level role because I somehow misunderstood a stupid question.

Man, I'm rusty.

Loomies

Oct 27, 2017
I finally did it!! I got an offer today after being jobless for 6+ years. Hundreds of applications and less than a dozen interviews over the years. I graduated around 2011 with an associate's degree for process operating(refinery/plant work). I am very fortunate to have a supporting family and help out my dad's business to get by. It's a contracting gig but the supervisor said that I can usually hop on easily once I get some experience.

It's a damn shame that it took nepotism to get it. My brother has been working there for about 2 years and is good friends with the supervisor, saw that an opening was available and told him about how I have a degree for it. Oh well still got it....now time to enjoy E3. Good luck to others searching!

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I finally did it!! I got an offer today after being jobless for 6+ years. Hundreds of applications and less than a dozen interviews over the years. I graduated around 2011 with an associate's degree for process operating(refinery/plant work). I am very fortunate to have a supporting family and help out my dad's business to get by. It's a contracting gig but the supervisor said that I can usually hop on easily once I get some experience.

It's a damn shame that it took nepotism to get it. My brother has been working there for about 2 years and is good friends with the supervisor, saw that an opening was available and told him about how I have a degree for it. Oh well still got it....now time to enjoy E3. Good luck to others searching!

Congrats!

Don't feel guilty, you just played the game that everyone else is playing.

Enjoy E3.

Congo Jack

Oct 25, 2017
Candy Apple Island
So I guess I should give a bit of an update: I was able to get a job as a manager of a sports museum in a small town for the summer, and I got accepted into a business course for the fall. The pay and the hours at this museum aren't that great, but I figure it'll look great on a resume alongside a diploma.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I did one in Seattle not too long ago, and I calculated that they spent well over a grand just to bring me out and decide I want the right guy. That was pretty sweet.

Barrett2

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I just flew out to the west coast for an onsite interview with a major tech company.

Found out yesterday I got the job. $240,000/yr salary.

I feel like I've been hallucinating ever since receiving the offer. Never really thought I'd make this kind of money.

Just 3.5 yrs ago I had a job barely making 55K/yr (with high student loans) and was very depressed about my career wondering what I was doing with my life.

In addition to working hard, I've had some very lucky breaks since then, just kept applying to hundreds of jobs until i got my 1st good job, then a better job, now this.

I guess if nothing else, my advice to people looking would be that you really never know where you could be a few years from now.

Oct 28, 2017
I had a one-way video interview yesterday, in-person interview with a different company last week. I'm really trying, just hope it pays off.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
im going to be looking for a new job while im still currently working. its becoming harder each day not to just say fuck it and put in two weeks since im miserable so i can focus on just job hunting.

looking at jobs i would like it still seems like companies ask for crazy experience which is depressing even though i feel i have a few years of really good experience doing what im currently doing. i want something that pays more but im afraid ill just take something that is basically a lateral move

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Got a phone interview on Tuesday. Not sure what to expect. Not sure I really want this job either

Talking with them can help you warm up for the next interview. That's the way I look at it.

I finished my round of interviews since last week. Stressed and relieved at the same time. Kinda feel meh about all of them after talking with and meeting some people for interviews. One job does not pay well but they were super pretentious about the clientele they serve. The other does not pay well but leaves me open to part time jobs. One is exactly the same as my current job but in a city of my choosing which lets me stay close to a lady friend and other friends. The last felt like a bust since their interview was not very good on their end. Felt like they had not prepared to talk to me at all, had almost no real questions for me and seemed like I was interviewing them instead which was a bit of a red flag. But their pay is the highest.

Got one full month before my contract ends and no official offers have come down. Current job will pay in full a flight back to America when it ends which I'm gonna tell them to set up, even if I don't use it. But others in my position had theirs setup months ago, somehow the changing of supervisors made my info get lost in the cracks lol. The pretentious place sent a followup email last night asking the status of my other interviews before they continue to consider me as a potential hire so maybe...

Wish this was simple!

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna be joining you guys in the hustle within the next year. Dropped out of college long ago so I need at least an Associates to my name, and I've basically got credits to get it in two semesters.

Thinking of really diving into technical writing.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
I got a job at fedex delivery packages but I was so excited to start that I accepted the position on the day of my power point presentation for school

Uhhh

Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone! So I'm currently in the market for a new job, mostly just because I want to move to a bigger city. I was contacted by a recruiter in my industry who agreed to schedule a call at 10 AM my time, for a position in an entirely different country which sounds very interesting but which I probably won't take even if offered just purely because of the awkwardness of moving so far away. I get a call 50 (!) minutes late, don't pick up and then later receive a message from him on LinkedIn saying that his colleague tried calling "but it might have been a bit late", no apology. If he had called ten minutes later he could have had plausible deniability due to the fact that their time zone is an hour behind mine, but nope.

What should I do in this situation? At the moment I feel that these recruiters need me more than I need them and if they can't be bothered even sending a quick message to indicate that they're running late I don't have any obligations to them. At the same time, I don't want to burn any bridges just in case a position does come up that's more appropriate in terms of location.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Unless you are in a really niche field, I would not feel as though they need you more than you need them. Why not see if you can reschedule the call? Even if this position is not what you want, they might have another later on that fits better.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

Pretty sure that this is how 80% of people get jobs, don't be ashamed. Congrats.

Oct 27, 2017
Unless you are in a really niche field, I would not feel as though they need you more than you need them. Why not see if you can reschedule the call? Even if this position is not what you want, they might have another later on that fits better.

Thanks, I decided to do so in the end and have just chatted with the recruiter. I say that they need me more than I need them because I feel I'm in a pretty good position at the moment in terms of my current employment so there's no deadline for moving hanging over my head and I'm willing to wait until I find something appropriate. Was mostly just annoyed that I ended up sitting around waiting on my day off and didn't even get a proper apology, heh.

Last edited:

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm at my fourth round of part-time Apple store interviews.

I'm actually really enjoying the process. Very reminiscent of the sort of stuff I was prepped for during my time in a Student's Union.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Glad this thread cropped up again.
Applied to the postal service and accepted my conditional offer last week. Did all the tests immediately as well. At this point I'm just waiting for the official official letter along with the orientation start dates.

I really don't want to but I might plan on spending a year or two at this job to blast pay off my student loans. 40-60 hrs a week are the norm and you get OT to compensate. In the long run most of the entry level jobs in my field literally cannot pay my loans in top of expenses. It just won't work.
If I gotta work like a dog for the government to blow this shit sky high I might as well do it while my body is still young and able.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Glad this thread cropped up again.
Applied to the postal service and accepted my conditional offer last week. Did all the tests immediately as well. At this point I'm just waiting for the official official letter along with the orientation start dates.

I really don't want to but I might plan on spending a year or two at this job to blast pay off my student loans. 40-60 hrs a week are the norm and you get OT to compensate. In the long run most of the entry level jobs in my field literally cannot pay my loans in top of expenses. It just won't work.
If I gotta work like a dog for the government to blow this shit sky high I might as well do it while my body is still young and able.

I work at the post office. Lemme know if you have any questions.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
I work at the post office. Lemme know if you have any questions.

At this point I'm just a nervous wreck. I'm so mentally tired of my current job. Realistically my process went pretty fast. Usually 5 days till the next step.
I did have three questions though
My status says Offer Phase EXT. I did the drug and background tests immediately. (Next day/same day fast.) I got the emails on June 12. How long does it usually take to hear back? The norm I heard was two weeks.

Second is the Hatch Act. Apparently it does in a lot of people. I'm a politically active person on forums and social media. However I'm able to reign it in. Once I get the job does that mean I'm risking violating this act posting on political topics? Even though I make no indication of who and where I work?

Third, finance wise is it common for people to go postal to pay off bills fast? I know what I'm getting into work wise. But I still have hesitations. I'm renting cheap with long time friends so that's not an issue.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Hey, what are best places to apply where you don't need work experience. This past year I've been slowly getting over my depression, and actually started going back to school, but I'm afraid that I don't have the qualifications to get any job.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Hey, what are best places to apply where you don't need work experience. This past year I've been slowly getting over my depression, and actually started going back to school, but I'm afraid that I don't have the qualifications to get any job.

Honestly, retail. Back room if you don't like dealing with people.
Alternatively front desk is an option as well.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Honestly, retail. Back room if you don't like dealing with people.
Alternatively front desk is an option as well.
Good to know, my fright mostly came with looking up tips for resume,with every site talking how important it is. Even ones that say you don't need it, still put something on sample resumes. Only good skill I have is being First Aid certified, though I need to get the card renew.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I worked at Frito-Lay for awhile. What you need help with?

Just wondering how it was.

Friend of mine was encouraging me to apply and said the pay was decent for the work, but I don't think they work out of the cities near me so I applied at PepsiCo instead since the jobs seemed similar. I'm looking at this mainly as work to get through school, paying my rent, and bills. Not looking to make a career out of it which they seem to be looking for.

Lol, expected as much. But I've done similar work in the past, although this does sound like it can be a strain.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
So, a company in SF flew me out to interview with them after I had quite a few really positive phone interviews. The interviews went extremely well from my perspective, I seemed to hit it off with everyone and I had solid examples and answers that seemingly impressed them. On leaving, they said is should hear back within a week. I sent some follow up thank you emails the day after, and then the HR director said that it might be that week or maybe next week.

Two weeks later, I hadn't heard anything. I understand this process can take a long time, as someone who conducts interviews frequently. So, just to stay in touch, I emailed the HR director again the following Monday (this past monday) asking politely if the team had any feedback. She apologized for the delay and said she hadn't heard back from the team, and was looking to get an update before Friday. As you can guess, friday came and went without a peep.

I 100% understand the situation and I don't find any of this rude, but I feel pretty confident this means I likely didnt get the position. I feel like after so many interviews that went so well and them telling me they needed someone ASAP, not having moved quicker signals some kind of hesitation to me.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
At this point I'm just a nervous wreck. I'm so mentally tired of my current job. Realistically my process went pretty fast. Usually 5 days till the next step.
I did have three questions though
My status says Offer Phase EXT. I did the drug and background tests immediately. (Next day/same day fast.) I got the emails on June 12. How long does it usually take to hear back? The norm I heard was two weeks.

Second is the Hatch Act. Apparently it does in a lot of people. I'm a politically active person on forums and social media. However I'm able to reign it in. Once I get the job does that mean I'm risking violating this act posting on political topics? Even though I make no indication of who and where I work?

Third, finance wise is it common for people to go postal to pay off bills fast? I know what I'm getting into work wise. But I still have hesitations. I'm renting cheap with long time friends so that's not an issue.

Sorry for the late reply. I'm gonna answer to the best of my ability.

Depending on your position... working at the post office should really bring in alotta money for you. Do some overtime here and there and you'll see your paycheck explode. The problem is that you're gonna be tired and clinging to any off day that you have.

I say keep checking your email constantly to make sure you don't miss getting hired.

I don't really know about the Hatch Act but I think you're fine. You have the 1st Amendment. Lol

Include

Oct 25, 2017
Jobs are rare in this period of year and it's nerve wrecking to wait for it to pick up again, I hope I'm gonna get something stable soon though.

Good luck everyone.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just flew out to the west coast for an onsite interview with a major tech company.

Found out yesterday I got the job. $240,000/yr salary.

I feel like I've been hallucinating ever since receiving the offer. Never really thought I'd make this kind of money.

Just 3.5 yrs ago I had a job barely making 55K/yr (with high student loans) and was very depressed about my career wondering what I was doing with my life.

In addition to working hard, I've had some very lucky breaks since then, just kept applying to hundreds of jobs until i got my 1st good job, then a better job, now this.

I guess if nothing else, my advice to people looking would be that you really never know where you could be a few years from now.

That salary is pretty nuts. Must be Bay area, which means it's actually worth about half that number but still not too shabby!

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
So I'm about to call up a few of the places I applied to. How does one usually initiate a follow up call?

I sent my application quite a while ago and I'm sure they've seen it, but the position is still open online. Any advice?

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Got two offers. One keeps me in the region I'm at with easy enough access to my friends and more that I love. The other moves me further away but has a better reputation and slightly better pay... hmmm.

Seriously don't know what to do anymore guys.