• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Well it's official. I accepted the job offer this morning and I'm making a six figure salary for the first time in my life. I start next Friday!

Good luck to all my fellow Era-ers! I know it's brutal. It took me over 4 months to get this and everyday I felt like shit. Felt unwanted, disrespected and humiliated.
Congratulations my dude. Well done.

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's official. I accepted the job offer this morning and I'm making a six figure salary for the first time in my life. I start next Friday!

Good luck to all my fellow Era-ers! I know it's brutal. It took me over 4 months to get this and everyday I felt like shit. Felt unwanted, disrespected and humiliated.
Damn, that is a massive turnaround. I wish you the best with this new position.

I had an interview and today they have asked me for availability and salary expectations. I have never had to do a salary expectation before. Is there a wrong answer to this question? Can I suggest a figure that is so insulting that they turf the offer? I would probably take the job if it offers over $75k, could I ask for $90k?
Yeah, in some instances, a considerable miss on the price range can be a bad impression and end up being the difference between getting hired or declined. I would suggest looking up the job title and compare salaries to get a good range.

Rentaru

Nov 14, 2017
I had a job interview on wed., earlier this week.. friend got me an application. He said that she liked me and that its down to me and another guy. people of era lend me your energy.
DvF8E1

im just so nervous.

Last edited:

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I got a rejection letter at the beginning of the week despite feeling confident about doing well in the multiple interviews and presentations over the span of three months. It was a miserable week, for sure, until the recruiter called me up to finalize payment and start date for the job offer... apparently, I was sent the wrong email! Wish he called earlier before I ate a whole tub of ice-cream.

I had an interview and today they have asked me for availability and salary expectations. I have never had to do a salary expectation before. Is there a wrong answer to this question? Can I suggest a figure that is so insulting that they turf the offer? I would probably take the job if it offers over $75k, could I ask for $90k?

Asking for salary expectations is quite common here, which means a lot of research goes into how much companies pay for similar position/job title. The hiring manager knows how much the market offers for the job title, so find a range that is reasonable and you're comfortable accepting.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the advice. I tried researching but I found that the range was pretty wide. The position is an administrator in a private school and saw some pretty crazy high salaries and some pretty crazy low salaries.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
Finding a job has been literally soul crushing this year. Each time I think "Finally this is the one! They GOT to accept me now!" but alas, a "Sorry, but we've find more suitable canidates" Is all I get. It's without a doubt a case of racism, because I've applied five times for seperate jobs with two different resumes. One with a native name and one with my name. Same resume with the same experiences. 4 out of the 5 responded to the native name and none to mine. Bear in mind, I've dropped from school (because the course I was taking didn't interest me much if at all) and I'm looking into jobs in which you don't need much experience to get accepted. Sure with an actual degree the chances that I'll be accepted would be much higher, but it still hurts. I know that later in life I'll experience the same problems I'm having now, but at least I'm sort of ready for it. Before doing the native vs my name test I legit thought I was stupid. Life's unfair man.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Man this upcoming job fair has got me shook as hell. Being in a different country I have so little idea of what to actually prepare. An English and or Japanese resume? Which style should I do for it? Does it matter simply by company? Does it matter simply by the person(s) at the event? and so on @.@ Trying to update my resume is annoying too... ugh. Did so much the past 3 years but only within this one job.

Hopefully the career services consultation I signed up for at the event is useful.

Suddenly became a lot more stressful.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Application sent around 10:30.
Personal Call around 11:00.
Interview invitation at 12:00.

I like this company already. :D

Also got my first Assessment Center on Monday. I hope I won't embarras myself too much, hah.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Best of luck at your interviews, assessments and job fairs Karu Valkerion and Kelsdesu. I'm sure you will all crush it.

Slushimi seriously sorry to hear about the racism you've faced in your job hunt. Hoping someone will give you a great opportunity soon.

Big-E best of luck with the salary response, hope it works out great for you.

poutmeter Congrats on the job! That's crazy about the rejection email being sent in error. Talk about an emotional rollercoaster!

Rentaru fingers crossed you get the job and that they let you know imminently so you don't have to be in suspense any longer!

TheLinguist

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I didn't get either job that I interviewed for last week. Apparently I interviewed well but another candidate had more relevant recent experience FML

LurDIMc.jpg

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So now I'm looking at another freelance writing position. It's not even that much, but it might be the first time I've gotten paid for writing in way too long.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing more depressing than applying to a ton of Jobs and not getting a single call or email.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I had an interview yesterday that turned into an offer later that day. I have to sign it via email but I have another interview on Thursday with a higher base salary. But, the offer for the first job will expire on the 21st. Would it be bad to accept it and then decline it later (if I end up getting the other job)?

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
There's an IT job I want to apply for. The summary reads like a standard help desk position, however the minimum requirement is an Associates in Computer Science (with a Bachelors preferred), and this just makes no sense for the position. Even the pay doesn't support it, as someone with a degree in that field would be looking for considerably more.

My suspicion is someone in HR wrote it up without much understanding of what computer science is.

Does anyone have advice for applying for this position? It's one of those automated systems and my fear is I'd get filtered out automatically even though I have the experience they're looking for as well as a four year degree, albeit it in an unrelated field.

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
Also, alot of times that job is asking for way too much in credentials for what is considered an entry level position with pay to match.

Very true. They want a miracle worker to "hit the ground running" for Jr. level pay. Keep your head up, fam.

There is nothing more depressing than applying to a ton of Jobs and not getting a single call or email.

I have applied for hundreds of jobs in the span of 3 months (and continue to do so) and only got 2 interviews. Not to minimize the way you're feeling of course just know you aren't alone.

Oct 30, 2017
There's an IT job I want to apply for. The summary reads like a standard help desk position, however the minimum requirement is an Associates in Computer Science (with a Bachelors preferred), and this just makes no sense for the position. Even the pay doesn't support it, as someone with a degree in that field would be looking for considerably more.

My suspicion is someone in HR wrote it up without much understanding of what computer science is.

Does anyone have advice for applying for this position? It's one of those automated systems and my fear is I'd get filtered out automatically even though I have the experience they're looking for as well as a four year degree, albeit it in an unrelated field.
Apply, a degree in IT holds little merit other than to show you completed a 4 year goal. Every engineer, or Sr engineer on my team is a college drop out. Work experience, work ethic and attitude above all else will get you a job over a degree. I've passed over college grads simply to hire a guy I think will gel with my team.

If HR is filtering applicants based on strict education requirements, then that company sucks and you wouldn't want to work there.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Application sent around 10:30.
Personal Call around 11:00.
Interview invitation at 12:00.

I like this company already. :D

Also got my first Assessment Center on Monday. I hope I won't embarras myself too much, hah.

You're over qualified or they're desperate, lol . Either way sounds like you're going to get it unless you F up.

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017

Put IT "buzzwords" in your resume that are relevant to the job.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, another question: If a company has the option of physically mailing an application in addition to electronic submission, would there be any advantage to doing both? Like, is a mailed in application more likely to get read?

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, another question: If a company has the option of physically mailing an application in addition to electronic submission, would there be any advantage to doing both? Like, is a mailed in application more likely to get read?

Personally I would always go for email. You could send both, I doubt it would do any harm. In my experience things get lost in the mail all the time so email seems likelier to me to be read. I would say don't let the fact that they may get any large number of applications dissuade you, since if they're looking carefully for a good candidate they'll read yours.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I want out of my IT systems admin position so badly. It has devolved into me just sitting around 6 out of the 8 hours I'm here, and I'm not learning anything new. Feels like they're going to get rid of me soon anyway since they keep ignoring my requests to take on more work/projects. Everywhere I've applied for so far seems to confuse Systems Admin for IT helpdesk. If I have to stay in IT support for a bit longer, then so be it. I just want to actually do work so that I can advance my skill set, and not just study for certs that I don't feel like will get me anywhere.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I would always go for email. You could send both, I doubt it would do any harm. In my experience things get lost in the mail all the time so email seems likelier to me to be read. I would say don't let the fact that they may get any large number of applications dissuade you, since if they're looking carefully for a good candidate they'll read yours.
I've read about people who've had success by e-mailing the head of the department directly and basically showing their interest in the job and examples of what they have accomplished. I'm trying to think of what I can show for a help desk job. I mean, I have lots of experience building computers and troubleshooting, but it's not like I had the foresight to really document any of it.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hi. So, I left my job last week and am now on the hunt again. This is my first time unemployed in over a decade, and I'm feeling--how you say--like shit.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I've read about people who've had success by e-mailing the head of the department directly and basically showing their interest in the job and examples of what they have accomplished. I'm trying to think of what I can show for a help desk job. I mean, I have lots of experience building computers and troubleshooting, but it's not like I had the foresight to really document any of it.

I'm not in the tech sector so I don't know how much help I can be with that but it seems like potentially a good idea if you can CC your application with whatever supplementary material you want to impress with, to the head of the department. I would send it to HR at the same time, in the same email personally. Worst case scenario they don't like the strategy, but I think it could be seen as showing initiative. Just depends on what the people reading it think. As to what you could include I can't advise due to my lack of tech knowledge but I would just say think of a project you've done it worked on that was unique or showed off less common or more sought after skills. Wishing you the best of luck.

Oct 25, 2017

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I was told by a manager of a different department at my current company that she would be creating a new position with me in mind. She said that she was going to have to create the description, iron out compensation and get the hr approvals (this is a large company) and that she would keep me updated when she learned more. This conversation happened a week and a half ago. I know that creating a new position takes time and it is not immediate, how long should I wait if I have not received an update before reaching out to her inquiring about the status of the position?

I've got no reason to not trust her, I'm just generally anxious lol and this position would come with a big increase in salary that would be nice to have sooner rather than later.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I was told by a manager of a different department at my current company that she would be creating a new position with me in mind. She said that she was going to have to create the description, iron out compensation and get the hr approvals (this is a large company) and that she would keep me updated when she learned more. This conversation happened a week and a half ago. I know that creating a new position takes time and it is not immediate, how long should I wait if I have not received an update before reaching out to her inquiring about the status of the position?

I've got no reason to not trust her, I'm just generally anxious lol and this position would come with a big increase in salary that would be nice to have sooner rather than later.

That's incredibly flattering, kudos to you! I would think it would take a month at a bare minimum to create a position at a big company but I'm just making an uneducated estimate there. Personally I would ask after four weeks I think.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
That's incredibly flattering, kudos to you! I would think it would take a month at a bare minimum to create a position at a big company but I'm just making an uneducated estimate there. Personally I would ask after four weeks I think.

Thanks, yeah it's really exciting that's kind of why I'm anxious about it. 4 weeks was about what I had in mind also so I'll just be patient I guess lol

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, yeah it's really exciting that's kind of why I'm anxious about it. 4 weeks was about what I had in mind also so I'll just be patient I guess lol
NP, it sounds like an incredible opportunity for you. I'm sure this manager wouldn't say this if she didn't have the intention to make it happen. Fingers crossed for you. At the least, it speaks excellently of your ability to move up the chain there and elsewhere.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Been searching for 9 months now, and still no concrete results. Interviews after interviews. I want out of this retail hell!

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, I finally got an offer for a decent full time job. RIP my prized NEET lifestyle.

Amazing, congrats to you! I'm sure you'll find a way to hold onto some aspects of the NEET lifestyle if you want to. :D

Yo, congratulations! Best of luck on your newest chapter.
Hah, I had to google NEET. Around these parts, we just call it funemployed.

If you want to learn more about a very entertaining NEET, check out the j-drama Date.

Been searching for 9 months now, and still no concrete results. Interviews after interviews. I want out of this retail hell!

Wishing you lots of luck to escape it. I'm sure some good luck will come your way soon. Keep at it!

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Joining the thread. I've been unemployed for the last three years while I finished school and took care of my daughter. I'm finishing my I.T. degree in April and probably also getting the Ethical Hacker Certification. (It's a senior project.) I just looked at jobs in my area and... I have no idea what I want to go up for. The jobs I'm looking at either seem to be way above my skill and experience level, or else I'm answering phones in a tech support call center. (Fuck no, no more call centers, not ever again.)

Feb 23, 2018
Hi all! I was musing about my job and that i would be job hunting again before my probation period is even over.

So i started applying for jobs in April, was heartbroken that apple didnt take me for a support call centre role after 2 rounds of interview (and that apple stock option!) Then i grabbed the first job offered after my rejection, it was for a uniform company. To this day i have no idea why they hired me! It was a pretty crazy job, i knew almost nothing in the industry but worked in a role that was like the PM for each project. I would wake up in the middle of the night fearful of what i had signed off earlier in the day (since i didnt know what could go wrong), of logistics issues delaying shipping and project delays by clients but where delivery date must stay the same. I was pulling 10hrs work days almost everyday from the start (no OT pay or time off sadly). I actually wanted to walk away in the first week but the lady who i was replacing was in her last week and i felt bad if i had just wasted her training...after 3 months plus, i cracked and started job hunting again, i was quickly offered an interview and got a job to start in a month.

Ive always been very envious of my college friends who studied computer science and most of them are overseas in the US or working around the region. So i thought i should stop the envy and start getting into the IT line. I applied for a helpdesk role because i wanted to get the experience and i saw a job being offered that was part time (5hr shifts on weekdays, 8hs on weekends, 5 days a week) that served to align my second goal. My government is highly highly supportive of adult education and ive applied to a 1 year post graduate diploma to both data science and cyber security forensics (got into the data science one, waiting for the results of the cyber security forensics) as well as an actual part time degree from my university that i can do at night. I started work as a helpdesk in dec 2017.

After 2 months in a job with a job title as 'helpdesk officer', ive handled a total of 2 calls . So this is an ongoing project and my company is one of the vendors, they were supposed to be given the helpdesk portion in february 2018 (got pushed back from dec 2017, when i was supposed to start) but HR said that in the meantime i can handle the job scope of a lady that is leaving in a week and i would be working normal fulltime hours for a month till the project handover. I later found out her job title is 'application support developer' so my daily tasks are logging email tickets, replicating issues, regression testing, and soon ill be doing sql database querying. Of course im just the person that runs the code, follow the sequence given, and do some testing as well but its definitely interesting doing all these as part of work and not something im reading up on/self learning. Im also amazed that most of the developers in the company know sql really well! Then in january 2018, i found out the new contract for the project got pushed back by 6 months and while my hr says its an 'extension', ive heard from the client side that it might/most probably will be a new tender so my company might not get it! I also signed a new 6 months contract that is fulltime work. I should totally be job hunting now to cover my ass, but i havent even reached the 3rd month of my probation! And its weird to have 2 jobs in less than a year, the previous uniform one got me a lot of experience working with corporations and this job is the job into the it industry so i want to leave both in my resume. My friend in apple did say they are hiring again...im also slightly torn, there is a scheme in my country that if you have a degree/diploma (its like an AA) which is tech related, you can be hired by MNCs (some really big names here) for junior roles, and the government pays the first 6 months of your salary, which is why im applying for all these further education, for example the 1 year diploma start in april 2018, finish april 2019 and then ill be applying for that scheme immediately! So i might be job hopping in a bit too. The whole IT/programming industry is definitely very challenging, my old college is also opening up free night classes to alumni and i took the same intro course that all first year computing students take, which is stretched to double the time (6 months instead of 3), called programming methodology, which is head bangingly hard, and im constantly raging at my own idiocy (taking over an 1hr to write a for loop...because i put the indentation to return the loop at the wrong place). Now i know back in college, why i only see the computing students late at night for supper. I dont know if i should just try to stick with this company, the biggest pro is that the pay is the best so ive had so far, the office location is the nearest ive had so far (even though im currently at the client site which is 90 mins away, my company's office is only half an hr away), the work i do is quite laid back most of the time, so i usually have 2 to 3 hrs of blank time during the workday to squeeze in some programming practices, the 6 months extension and lack of manpower means i have to do a lot of things that im not exposed to (like today i had to edit a host file and i dont even know what that means beyond being related to ip addresses) which is interesting. The con is that i might be jobless in 6 months and even if they got the contract, i dont know if i want to go into an actual helpdesk role. But the skill gap between me and the average developer in the company is a bit too wide as well. The domain that im looking in is cybersecurity but that is probably because its a hot area with good prospects since i honestly dont know too much about it. (I tried reading some of the blogs, its all english and all a blur) Despite my grumbles about programming, i do find it quite interesting and satisfying when i actually do manage to solve problems, its just taking me much longer than i expected to actually learn the materials well. Should i try to make this conversion to a tech role work? Or should i be not so deadset on getting an IT/development career on the tech side? I do notice that all the PLs of my company are ex-developers who didnt want to do development anymore but that uniform PM job has scared me off most things related to project management!

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017

In CA its illegal to ask for salary history. If potential employers are asking you this, its ok. If they then making employment decision based on your answers, depending on the state, it could be illegal. MA is pretty strict about this too, so I would check on state LAW with regards to Salary history. disclosure.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
In CA its illegal to ask for salary history. If potential employers asking you this, its ok. If they then making employment decision based on your answers, depending on the state, it could be illegal. MA is pretty strict about this too, so I would check on state LAW with regards to Salary history. disclosure.
I am in Canada, I kind of dodged the question and was able to get a second interview after that. They are checking references now. Might not take the job now though, things came up in the second interview that gave me a bit of a warning. If they give me an offer, it is going to have to be a lot more than what I am currently getting.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I am in Canada, I kind of dodged the question and was able to get a second interview after that. They are checking references now. Might not take the job now though, things came up in the second interview that gave me a bit of a warning. If they give me an offer, it is going to have to be a lot more than what I am currently getting.

Ahhh I see. Getting a new job is your best chance to get more money. Don't make lateral moves always move forward. know your worth. Of course the situation has to be a good one. I would take less for an awesome work atmosphere than more, while living in fear of my job everyday. Just my thought.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh I see. Getting a new job is your best chance to get more money. Don't make lateral moves always move forward. know your worth. Of course the situation has to be a good one. I would take less for an awesome work atmosphere than more, while living in fear of my job everyday. Just my thought.
Thanks for the advice. Current situation is pretty bad right now. Lots of work place bullying going on. Right now, it isn't really affecting me but I won't be able to escape the bullying much longer.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the advice. Current situation is pretty bad right now. Lots of work place bullying going on. Right now, it isn't really affecting me but I won't be able to escape the bullying much longer.
Then maybe you should move laterally just to survive, and then look to what you really want. There is something to be said for liking what you do, and not dreading going to work everyday. Anyways-Keep at it, and good luck!
You can do it!

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Hi. So, I left my job last week and am now on the hunt again. This is my first time unemployed in over a decade, and I'm feeling--how you say--like shit.

Sorry to hear that. You have any leads, at this point. Any friends/contacts you are reaching out to?

I sympathize. I haven't been unemployed it almost 7 years but I still vividly remember the feeling.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I scored an interview with an internet-based company that has won a lot of awards lately. It would be a bit of a lateral move, but with higher pay and more responsibility. Plus it sounds like their work/life balance is excellent. Hope I get it because everyday that I'm at my current job, I feel like I'm ready to drop everything and quit.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to hear that. You have any leads, at this point. Any friends/contacts you are reaching out to?

I sympathize. I haven't been unemployed it almost 7 years but I still vividly remember the feeling.
Thank you for checking. Yeah, I'm okay. I've been non-stop interviewing and was actually booked pretty solid last week. One place wants to fly me out to meet the team, so I hope that goes well.

Luckily, I'd been getting "defensive" certifications, just in case I hit a stumbling block like this.

Anjoys

Avenger
Nov 10, 2017
Well shit I might be out of a job soon. So the company I work for is having "cash follow issues" and might go into administration unless a deal is worked out with a potential buyer in the next 48 hours . Hopefully a deal is worked out, cause I really don't want to be job hunting for the next few months.