• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ive been unemployed since August after working 10 years at a job, but haven't been looking. Basically been living off of life savings and gone back to school. Hopefully when i start looking in a few months ill have a shot. Otherwise i guess its game over for me. If i didn't stock pile money in a cash savings account i don't know where'd id be right now honestly. I have a bad problem with confidence though. I have no idea how to sell myself other than just know shit. Never was a good networker. I'm the type that wont lie too much on a resume because i have to actually know a bit. I was very specialized with databases at the old job but got my hands into like 10 other areas, but wasnt an expert at any one of them.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't heard back about my pending potential job offer-that said I've set up another interview at another company. They want me to set aside various days for them to come in for a 5 hour long interview. Oy vey.

OP
OP
BarryAllen

BarryAllen

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's career fair week/internship season at my college currently. Shit never stops sucking even as a grad student.

In order to graduate, I have to put in 300 hours at an approved internship, and they don't give a damn if it's unpaid and you have to work a second job alongside. The qualifying internships tend to be 50/50 paid/unpaid, and for reasons in and out of my control it looks like I'm slipping into the unpaid bucket. Yay.

Could always put off the internship until fall/spring and try to get a paid one, but then I risk still getting an unpaid one and having to combine it with a paying job and class.
That's stupid I would tell the school to fuck off

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Want to go back to school. Need to find a part time job first though.

Do you guys think I should include my bachelors in my job applications? I've been applying to all types of part time gigs, but gotten literally nothing in return.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I think that I should discard already the possibility from the bank, since the guy said that they would be in touch around finals of January or beginning of February.... At the very least, a rejection mail would be far better than being left hanging. I've keep applying at other places, but since February is summer vacation, getting interviews sucks. I started looking in August, onto month six of unemployment now.

Congrats ThanksgivingDinner ! Hope you do wonderful in your job.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
That's stupid I would tell the school to fuck off

If only. I'm not upset that there is a required internship- that's a common requirement for programs in my field- I'm just pissed that it's 300 hours and there's a coin flip on whether you'll get paid or not. If it's unpaid the hour requirement should be reduced to account IMO.

TheLinguist

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck with your interviews everyone. I have one lined up next week, my first ever multiple interviewers and competency based once. I've only had two interviews in my lifetime, the first was a disaster and I thought the second went well. Hopefully this will be closer to the second!

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
So I've got an interview next week

I'm a recent graduate who's been out of work since graduation. That is partly my fault because I haven't been looking very hard.This isn't so much a job but a year long internship/probation period with a company that will lead to a permanent position.

The only problem is, I don't particularly want it. Its in a completely different field to what I studied and the commute is a killer.

My former supervisor at my last internship (before I graduated), said she might have some freelance work for me to do. The other places I did write to, said they have no vacancies at the moment but they will call if something comes up.

Should I go to the interview and if offered, accept the job? The selection process that they've outlined makes it seem like I can't just up and quit if I got a better offer. I probably won't be offered the job after that interview as there will be follow up interviews and a psychometric test. So if I'm offered the job after all of that, I mean.

Or should I wait for something else to come up? When Human Resource managers say that they'll keep your information on file and call you, does that really happen or are they being polite?

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got an interview for tomorrow, UX Design Trainee (tied to a specific system/product). Pretty relaxed about it, though I have no experience working; good thing the ad specifically said no work exp. required, so we will see.
The interview was really good in the way that is was actually about the job and not some type of "hurr durr wat your strength and weaknesses"-bs. Will learn whether I will be invited for the second round next week.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Funny how things work out.

Earlier this week I had an interview. I did great, however I wasn't selected (I'm going through the hiring process for multiple agencies. So, they didn't want to waste the resources, time, and a limited slot on me if I got offered something else, or bailed early in my career.) Honestly, it makes sense, so I wasn't that upset about it.

Then today, I got a tentative offer from an agency for something I'd rather do anyways.

Always have a plan B and C.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
So, while from that Bank job they didn't send a rejection letter or anything, I got confirmation none of the people who got to the final round of interviews made it - they put the ad for the job up again on the job seeking website, with a new ending date for applications.

It was a big punch, since it was a job I would have been happy doing, and it is going to make me rethink my whole strategy applying to thinks.

So two questions for you guys:

- How do you define what areas you should apply to inside a field? Like, you want a finance job but how do you enter mine what area of finance are you seeking? Any online resources to help with this? I'm afraid I'm going to redefine myself in this since the job hunt is not going well.

- When they ask for salary, do you give a number or a bracket? I used to give a determinate number, but I'm beginning to feel like it isn't helping me much.

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats Forerunner !

- When they ask for salary, do you give a number or a bracket? I used to give a determinate number, but I'm beginning to feel like it isn't helping me much.
Sorry to hear about your struggles. I remember getting far with the job I really wanted only to be declined. Sucks.

I usually give a range if there is an option. A specific number can potentially sell yourself short or show that you're expecting too much. With a range, you're telling them it is negotiable and you are more likely to land within the range they want. I would look up salaries for whatever position you're going for and try to figure out a min/max for it. Places like Glassdoor can be helpful with that.

Best of luck in your search.

TheLinguist

Oct 27, 2017
Has anybody dealt with a competency interview where they haven't experienced the situation you're asked about (e.g. conflict with a colleague). How did you deal with it? Saying I don't know/haven't experienced it doesn't seem much better than lying. Theorise how you would react in the situation?

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody dealt with a competency interview where they haven't experienced the situation you're asked about (e.g. conflict with a colleague). How did you deal with it? Saying I don't know/haven't experienced it doesn't seem much better than lying. Theorise how you would react in the situation?
Yeah, just think of how you would handle it, or think of the most similar situation you've had and go from there. It can be tough coming up with something on the spot, but saying you don't know/haven't experienced it isn't good.

Look up behavioral interview questions and practice answering questions like that.

TheLinguist

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, just think of how you would handle it, or think of the most similar situation you've had and go from there. It can be tough coming up with something on the spot, but saying you don't know/haven't experienced it isn't good.

Look up behavioral interview questions and practice answering questions like that.

Alright, thanks.

I have made a list of some questions and started answering them. Some will just prove to be a little tougher!

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I've been at a new place for the past 3 months but I've been feeling more and more like it's not a viable place for me to stay at long-term. Should I even list this job on my resume? It's the most relevant position I've held but I'm worried about companies I apply to calling them and that messing up my current employment until I can find something better.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't experienced it at work, you can relate the situation with an experience you had in another setting such as group work at school/volunteering.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember this thread from the other place but never participated. I've been employed for the past 15+ years consecutively. Recently the company I work for lost the contract for which I was a manager on and since then I've been looking for work. It is a soul crushing experience indeed.

Needless to say after 15 years of not looking for a job I'm very out of touch with the current job market. I think that is making things a bit more difficult. I've got tons and tons of experience sitting on the 'other side' of the interview table but not much as the interviewee. I guess that is where I could use some help or tips, whatever.
I've worked for full time since 97. I decided to quit my job of 15 years to go back to school last August. My biggest fear is the job search. Luckily, I have gotten 3 offers during my clinical rotation, and I stll have another semester of rotations to go.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I tried posting about this on my university's subreddit but was met with hostility instead of advice.

I'm graduating at the end of the summer and need to find a job in my field. I'm an IT student and I had an internship back in fall 2013. I'm not in contact with anyone from there anymore but it's my last relevant work experience for this field.
I currently work a part time amazon warehouse facility. It sucks but it's a job and I would rather do this than work retail. I apply for things but don't get any responses. I don't have much work experience in the field, but I'm stuck in the paradox of not having the amount of experience required for entry level position and not being able to get a position to obtain said experience.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I feel a lot of stress and dread about my upcoming graduation when I should feel excited about it.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, thanks.

I have made a list of some questions and started answering them. Some will just prove to be a little tougher!
As a tip, I found behavioral questions and wrote down key words I wanted to mention when I was in the interview.

For example, for the classical conflict with a college question I defined that I wanted to mention the bad work environment a fight with a colleague it caused, that the solution was grabbing the guy and having a sincere chat, and accepting that it was best to put limits to the colleague before he got any idea, so I wrote down "bad environment", "conversation" and "limits" to remember. It's easier than trying to memorize a full on answer and it gives you room if you need to modify the answer in any way.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I have an interview half marathon this week for a company with a VP and 3 directors for an hour each. Should be loads of fun.

Also two phone interviews in a single day for two other companies. I don't mind interviewing but I'm not fond of doing them one after another after another.

Also, I feel like I've been losing motivation to apply as of late. Before this week I applied to at least 10 jobs a week. This week just 2. The rest of the time has been spent gaming. Can't tell if I'm tired, frustrated, or just lazy. Maybe a bit of all three.

Good luck out there people.

Oct 25, 2017
I have an interview half marathon this week for a company with a VP and 3 directors for an hour each. Should be loads of fun.

Also two phone interviews in a single day for two other companies. I don't mind interviewing but I'm not fond of doing them one after another after another.

Also, I feel like I've been losing motivation to apply as of late. Before this week I applied to at least 10 jobs a week. This week just 2. The rest of the time has been spent gaming. Can't tell if I'm tired, frustrated, or just lazy. Maybe a bit of all three.

Good luck out there people.
Yep, right there with ya.

Best of luck with the interviews.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Going for a career fair on the 24th and 25th. They asked us to be prepared to ask questions to a seminar speaker on one day which is np. What kinda questions should I ask recruiters that would be helpful? Of course it will depend in general by the job they are recruiting for. First time doing it in this format.

Also any resume/linkedin tips now that I'm updating everything this week.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Going for a career fair on the 24th and 25th. They asked us to be prepared to ask questions to a seminar speaker on one day which is np. What kinda questions should I ask recruiters that would be helpful? Of course it will depend in general by the job they are recruiting for. First time doing it in this format.

Also any resume/linkedin tips now that I'm updating everything this week.
Ask questions pertaining to the future of the company and its place in the industry. Ask about people who are leading interesting projects or how the company in question is keeping ahead of its competitors. Basically, anything that shows you're interested in this place.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Had my first proper (initial) phone interview, 30 minutes, and it went way better than expected just from the stand-point that I didn't loose control over my mouth and I didn't completely dry up lol. I think my own questions could have used some serious work, but oh well.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Ask questions pertaining to the future of the company and its place in the industry. Ask about people who are leading interesting projects or how the company in question is keeping ahead of its competitors. Basically, anything that shows you're interested in this place.

Cool I'll make a note of that.

What about linkin/resume(cv) summary? I get what I should write and kinda what they are but... anyone got tips for not making them so.... haughty looking lol. All of them seem to have the "I'm hermione granger and you are...?" to them haha.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god. I just got a call back from a recruiter. They want to move forward with me and make an offer. The offer is way more money than I've ever mad before in my life and I'm thrilled.

That said -I have a 5 hour interview with another company tomorrow that I'm dreading going to. I wish I could just cancel buit I want to be respectful.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Basically

LurDIMc.jpg

I had a job in retail for 4 years, and have had zero luck anywhere else. It doesn't help that I was dumb and young and cannot use that employer as I was fired.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god. I just got a call back from a recruiter. They want to move forward with me and make an offer. The offer is way more money than I've ever mad before in my life and I'm thrilled.

That said -I have a 5 hour interview with another company tomorrow that I'm dreading going to. I wish I could just cancel buit I want to be respectful.
Congratulations! That is great!

Basically

LurDIMc.jpg

I had a job in retail for 4 years, and have had zero luck anywhere else. It doesn't help that I was dumb and young and cannot use that employer as I was fired.
Yepppp

Just got to keep going and hope you can eventually fall out of the cycle. I also have 4 years of experience (in clerical work) but apparently that isn't enough experience for an entry level position.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017

Congrats! Hopefully today's interview wasn't too bad, especially considering you got a chance to interview with nothing to lose.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I was told by the head of a department I want to work in that they want me and are creating a new position that they would like me to fill. It'll be a raise and a pretty big increase in responsibility. I've got no reason to doubt that they are actually creating the position but now I'm just stuck playing the waiting game while they create a job description and iron out compensation details. I was told they want to fill it fast so the wait is killing me.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Vague questions deserve vague responses.

Tell them you would do your best to calmly explain your point of view to your colleague and offer to compromise with them. Then if they rejected that you would bring the situation to your manager and let them assist in resolving it.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went almost a year unemployed after I graduated and was miserable. And then I was randomly offered a job which has just so happened help start opening up other opportunities.

It would be so much better if I knew I had a personal touch in the process, but it really just seems like it was luck. Which is not encouraging for those still looking. I really just got lucky.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Would anyone here with some experience in this be willing to look over my highly technical, experienced engineering resume? I've been editing it alone for too long and I'd like a fresh pair of eyes on what parts of the content could be trimmed. I feel like it's too long.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Would anyone here with some experience in this be willing to look over my highly technical, experienced engineering resume? I've been editing it alone for too long and I'd like a fresh pair of eyes on what parts of the content could be trimmed. I feel like it's too long.

Without seeing anything, you could limit the content to your last 3 jobs only, and only one or two projects on each job. Try to keep the whole thing to 2 pages or so.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp. Found out on Friday that I'm getting let go in the middle of March. I'm going to qualify for 5 weeks severance and unemployment. Honestly, this is probably a good thing because I've been stagnant at my current position and I'm very, very ready for a change. I'm definitely not looking forward to the job search grind, however.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I went almost a year unemployed after I graduated and was miserable. And then I was randomly offered a job which has just so happened help start opening up other opportunities.

It would be so much better if I knew I had a personal touch in the process, but it really just seems like it was luck. Which is not encouraging for those still looking. I really just got lucky.
Believe me or not, it does give me a bit of hope. I'm on the six month Mark now, but hearing here and from friends who were unemployed for more time gives me a tiny bit of hope, that I have to be patient.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Without seeing anything, you could limit the content to your last 3 jobs only, and only one or two projects on each job. Try to keep the whole thing to 2 pages or so.

My entire resume spills just over 1 page, with my work experience section only having been at 1 company (+ some research as a university student) in my career. So I have a lot of bullet points, but each is a very different, important skill IMO. But maybe it's too much.

TheLinguist

Oct 27, 2017
I had my interview this morning and I think it went well, mostly. A few times the interviewer said, you've sort of answered this in the previous question so I just expanded more. I fucked up the final handshake though, went to shake with my left as I had folder in my right and it was more like a backhand shake lmao. Should've switched.

Will find out if I got the job on Monday. I have a couple of temporary jobs in the pipeline also.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's official. I accepted the job offer this morning and I'm making a six figure salary for the first time in my life. I start next Friday!

Good luck to all my fellow Era-ers! I know it's brutal. It took me over 4 months to get this and everyday I felt like shit. Felt unwanted, disrespected and humiliated.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I had an interview and today they have asked me for availability and salary expectations. I have never had to do a salary expectation before. Is there a wrong answer to this question? Can I suggest a figure that is so insulting that they turf the offer? I would probably take the job if it offers over $75k, could I ask for $90k?