• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm at the most nerve-wracking stage in the job hunting process. I went through the interviews, got an email saying I'm one of 2 finalists, and they'd get in touch early this week, and all I can do is wait. I can't focus on anything.
I'm in a similar situation. Thankfully I'm currently employed, but this would be a step up and allow me to be close to family again. I'm going through a recruiter, but the business told me about a week for their decision. It's now been a week and a half, and the recruiter says it's taking longer than expected. But I did receive good feedback after the interview on my chances.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
Had an interview last Monday, and then on Tuesday afternoon got the email that they wanted to do a second interview, with a link to indicate via calendar my available time slots (like they did for the first round). Have not heard anything yet and wondering how long I should wait before reaching out to them (if I should)?

With a holiday last week in both Canada and the US, feel like it's a weird time to schedule people that likely would be from both sides of the border, so not sure if I'd be looking too eager by checking in.

SystemShark

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary
Started a job application process on April 27, went through 3 interviews, provided a writing sample (had to write a press release for a specific product in 4 hours), did a tour of the facility and all my references were contacted. Was told that after my references were contacted the next, and "final" stage, would be tendering an offer.

Found out today (after two weeks of silence) that they have decided to continue looking for someone with more experience and no offer would be forthcoming. I even beat out two other candidates.

Soul crushing is correct.

Oct 27, 2017
One of two finalists, and I still didn't get the job. Back to square one. Again.
Started a job application process on April 27, went through 3 interviews, provided a writing sample (had to write a press release for a specific product in 4 hours), did a tour of the facility and all my references were contacted. Was told that after my references were contacted the next, and "final" stage, would be tendering an offer.

Found out today (after two weeks of silence) that they have decided to continue looking for someone with more experience and no offer would be forthcoming. I even beat out two other candidates.

Soul crushing is correct.

It sucks, sorry guys. At least it means you are interviewing well, but I appreciate that is no consolation in the grand scheme of things. I spent about 18 months looking for work and I had a period over about 4 weeks where I had about 5 interviews and lost out to 3 of them when I was down to the last two candidates. I did get an offer but decided it was a bit too far away from home and the money wasn't quite good enough, even though it probably would have been the best one for career progression (I often think about it and wonder if rejecting the offer was a mistake). Anyway, I am in a permanent job now but am currently furloughed and starting to worry that I will be made redundant so I have started looking for work again. My biggest problem is that I was fired from a job a couple of years ago and it's not something I can hide so I have learnt it is best to declare upfront and hope that they are interested enough that they would still be interested in seeing me for an interview.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Legit don't know any other job thread, and it's not really a soul crush or exhaustion post...

A lady at a mid western taco joint has encouraged me to apply to get a job here. This was months before the pandemic, and things were 'normal'. I actually applied a few different times with no call for an interview. I am wondering if this place likes applicants to call for an interview after submitting an online app.

Anyway, I am a semi-regular customer here, and it would feel weird to go from customer to employee. A few employees know me by name actually.

So come to find out this lady is one of the hiring/interviewing managers, so it's not a shock she told me to apply. I interview with her this coming Sunday morning.

Good news for this
- Within walking distance!!
- I can work any hours due to the above. I have no car/license sadly and rely on my dad. I pay him gas money though
- Some employees and management know me by my first name and my order usually.

Bad news for this
- it's a fast food job
- Benefits seem to be a bit shitty, but free food
- It's understaffed to what I've witnessed sometimes. 2-3 employees working usually
- Glassdoor reviews seem to say bad hours and the pay is shit, but am aware cause fast food. Our minimum wage in IL is up to $10 now though

I'm gonna go in with an open mind and if the job/role seems like a good fit to take it. I honestly want to work despite my disability.

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
A company I'm highly interested in posted an opening I'm definitely qualified for. I can apply through either LinkedIn or Workable... not sure if applying on either would make any difference, but being out of work during these times got me all anxious :( Either platforms should be ok, yeah?

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Had an interview over Zoom the other day which was going pretty well until they asked me what salary I was looking for, their face dropped like a stone when I told them (even though I had previously told them so the interview wouldn't be a waste of time). "I'll speak to the directors and get back to you with a date for an in-person interview". Haven't heard back since ffs

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
Finally accepted a position at a PT clinic. The good news is that with my experience I'll be paid at the higher end of the scale so technically I'll be getting slightly more than I did at my last job with better benefits. The job is also just down the street from my daughter's new high school. They seem to have a good culture and aren't looking for new grads just to underpay them and burn them out like other companies.

The one negative is that for a few months I may have to help out a bit in another clinic a few days a week until business picks up a bit more since my primary is a new clinic that just opened. Lastly I'll have to work every other Saturday morning. The goal however is to hire some part time staff to do Saturdays in the future.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
A company I'm highly interested in posted an opening I'm definitely qualified for. I can apply through either LinkedIn or Workable... not sure if applying on either would make any difference, but being out of work during these times got me all anxious :( Either platforms should be ok, yeah?
Both?

Joe117

Jul 18, 2020
west Michigan, USA
Don't really wanna dox myself, but it sucks being told I'm qualified for the role and yet not what the employer is after without an interview. I've got a few applications out there, we'll see what turns up. Keeping my fingers crossed something tuns up.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
Is it considered legal?

a person close to me is working through an agency, and the agency had a role that they said is full time. M-F 8:30 - 5:30. However, upon start, the role is part time temporarily because of the c-virus and will turn to full time when the pandemic is over. They didn't mention it to the agency so they had no knowledge. The agency basically said "sorry, nothing we can do".
What should the person do in this case?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Is it considered legal?

a person close to me is working through an agency, and the agency had a role that they said is full time. M-F 8:30 - 5:30. However, upon start, the role is part time temporarily because of the c-virus and will turn to full time when the pandemic is over. They didn't mention it to the agency so they had no knowledge. The agency basically said "sorry, nothing we can do".
What should the person do in this case?
I am guessing the person needs a job that is full time now? Not sure if there is any legal recourse, but since the original agency is not being too helpful, it might be wise for the person to get in contact with another agency and/or look for another role that is full time. Normally I would suggest the person reach out to their contact at the agency to look for another role but that does not seem to be an option.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Puts on the entry level filter on Linked*
*All the results are jobs that require 3+ years of experience*

Ben_Afflect_Hello_Darkness.gif

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
This is incredibly annoying. I've gotten emails with the following line quite a few times lately even when applying directly through company sites, and not like Indeed or something.

We appreciate your interest in the role, however, this position had a candidate identified for hire prior to your application arriving.

Why is this even a thing? Why is your job still posted if that's the case?

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is incredibly annoying. I've gotten emails with the following line quite a few times lately even when applying directly through company sites, and not like Indeed or something.

Why is this even a thing? Why is your job still posted if that's the case?

You give companies too much credit. I work with so many allegedly professional clients and they all fuck up.
The HR department of my company is also not the fastest and I have to say they left a good impression on me when I applied because everyone else was so bad.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
oh hey update

I got a temp job at a college bookstore thru Follet. $10 an hour and it's like 2-3 weeks which is...not really great. I did all my on boarding and training video watching. I'm waiting for the store manager to call me on a start date/time. They (recruiter) said they wanted people this week or next week, and she said Monday for me.

I also...however... have an interview at a Hy-Vee Sunday, and have applied for their aisles online position and/or a day stocker. The HR manager at Hy-Vee said to bring my valid ID and social security card, so it sounds like she maybe offering me the job on the spot.

So I ask Job ERA....

Do I do the temp bookstore position for 2-3 weeks or do I just take the job at Hy-Vee? I'm unsure of hours at Hy-Vee and am assuming pay is $10 (minimum wage in IL)
I also was maybe planning on saying I'd be able to start in 2 to 3 weeks to the HR manager at Hy-Vee if I am hired due to having a temp job position.

What would you do in my shoes?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Do I do the temp bookstore position for 2-3 weeks or do I just take the job at Hy-Vee? I'm unsure of hours at Hy-Vee and am assuming pay is $10 (minimum wage in IL)
I also was maybe planning on saying I'd be able to start in 2 to 3 weeks to the HR manager at Hy-Vee if I am hired due to having a temp job position.
Get the start date and expected hours from Hy-Vee before you make a decision on staying or leaving the other place.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Get the start date and expected hours from Hy-Vee before you make a decision on staying or leaving the other place.

Thanks for that advice. I think this is what I'm gonna go with.

I was going to also ask if the HR manager at Hy-Vee saying to bring your valid ID, social security card, and whatever is acceptable to verify I'm not an illegal means I'm hired. It sounds like retail folks maybe hiring on the spot specially with it being an online pickup/curbside position. Need more bodies to accommodate customers during the pandemic... can only picture how rough this position will be during the holidays.

As always and reading the thread title....I don't wanna get hopes up super high.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The assessment are really just too much. You expect me to do these 4 hours assessments and go to multiple interviews. How do people that are employed have time for this shit?

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
The assessment are really just too much. You expect me to do these 4 hours assessments and go to multiple interviews. How do people that are employed have time for this shit?
I honestly loathe them. I usually think the customer service ones and such are super common sense. I've only ever had to go thru one interview to get the job and/or a recruiter then the interview at the store/wherever.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't get the logic in expecting 3+ years experience for an entry level position. Is it so they can rake you through the coals when you're hired and expect you to be grateful for it?

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't get the logic in expecting 3+ years experience for an entry level position. Is it so they can rake you through the coals when you're hired and expect you to be grateful for it?
it's so they don't have to take the time to train someone. they want someone who will just jump in and do stuff without any work on their part.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I never have either whatsoever, and sadly I cannot even get a position in a restaurant as just a busser or dishwasher...let alone a host. lol

I am sticking to retail, though.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's that time of the year to reapply to the dream job. This will be my sixth attempt. I don't plan to make it through the process, as usual. But every year I have that much more experience to apply with, so maybe one day. I'm still ~10 years junior the average age for people entering this profession, so I guess there's time.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It's that time of the year to reapply to the dream job. This will be my sixth attempt. I don't plan to make it through the process, as usual. But every year I have that much more experience to apply with, so maybe one day. I'm still ~10 years junior the average age for people entering this profession, so I guess there's time.

aa3.gif

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Hy-Vee interview today went okay I think! The HR manager said she'd let me know by the end of Tuesday. I sorta figured I'd not be hired on the spot and not to get hopes up for that.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I applied for a job in April. I forgot about it, but received a reply last week and completed a video-recorded HireVue interview last Friday. They called me yesterday (Tuesday) and said they would like a live Zoom interview on Wednesday. I am still working at my current job, so I told them the earliest I would be able to do it was Friday. "Oh sorry, we aren't interviewing anyone else after Wednesday."

I didn't get upset with them on the phone or anything, but WHAT THE FUCK? You sat on my application for months, and now you're cutting me loose because I can't do an interview within less-than 24 hours? I am not too broken up about it since I still have my current job, but this would be infuriating if I was unemployed or really needed a new position.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
it's so they don't have to take the time to train someone. they want someone who will just jump in and do stuff without any work on their part.

Yeah. When I see that I assume that want an experienced professional at an entry level price. Ridiculous

I applied for a job in April. I forgot about it, but received a reply last week and completed a video-recorded HireVue interview last Friday. They called me yesterday (Tuesday) and said they would like a live Zoom interview on Wednesday. I am still working at my current job, so I told them the earliest I would be able to do it was Friday. "Oh sorry, we aren't interviewing anyone else after Wednesday."

I didn't get upset with them on the phone or anything, but WHAT THE FUCK? You sat on my application for months, and now you're cutting me loose because I can't do an interview within less-than 24 hours? I am not too broken up about it since I still have my current job, but this would be infuriating if I was unemployed or really needed a new position.

Yeah, that's bull. Sounds like either HR or the entire company needs to get it together and you may be dodging a bullet in any case.

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
fun job story. I interviewed for a job at Kroger in Cincinnati. The headhunter convinced me that they are not looking for someone with this exact application experience based on the project but a person that has done extensive erp applications/ implementations. Regardless I had experience implementing this specific software but not the cloud versio ( if anyone understands this world of erp or business systems you would know it's pretty much the same thing. That said the interview started the department head of business systems implementation started talking for 30 mins straight about his experience bla bla bla, never gave me a chance to introduce myself, and started reading canned questions about have you ever configured cloud erp application.. I was like yes I've configured erp applications multiple times and successfully. He cut me off and said was it cloud though. After he said that I knew this guy didn't have a fking clue what he was talking about and I knew this was not going to go well, the asshole cut the meeting and said we need someone with more cloud experience. I just laughed and said good luck. The annoying thing about it I was disrespected, and the headhunter wanted me to send a thank you letter. I told her politely that that's not going to happen.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

To be fair, if you were unemployed you probably can make the zoom on little notice. Maybe they want desperate applicants?

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
Has anyone ever been fucking ghosted before?

Had a screening last week. Went well, with the HR rep telling me hours later that I made it to the second round of interviews. On Monday I was told they would be happening either today (Thursday) and/or Friday, with her sending me the details and invite as soon as possible. On Tuesday I thanked her for the update and asked a follow-up question.
It's Thursday now and I still haven't heard back. Am I just being too impatient?

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Had a screening last week. Went well, with the HR rep telling me hours later that I made it to the second round of interviews. On Monday I was told they would be happening either today (Thursday) and/or Friday, with her sending me the details and invite as soon as possible. On Tuesday I thanked her for the update and asked a follow-up question.
It's Thursday now and I still haven't heard back. Am I just being too impatient?

It happens.
Was ghosted once after I graduated. HR called me to ask if I am still interested. After confirming, they said they will contact me for an interview and never heard back.

I work for the more successful competitor now 🤣

My wife was ghosted after having 2 phone interviews and a case study. They were so unprofessional all the way.
At the first call, the guy (global manager) was on the move and she could barely understand him because of the traffic etc.
The second call (regional manager) was better and he showed quite a bit of interest.
She was supposed to get a face to face interview a week after but never heard back.

When she asked HR she just got a case study to do because they needed some time. The case study was a data analysis and a presentation and took quite some time.
From my experience as a consultant the case study and presentation was done quite well. Still, she never heard anything back.

The audacity to offload a case study to someone and not to have the decency to call back is unbelievable. They all acted like hot shots although the company was maybe around 20 people worldwide (that's why she always talked to the global HR leader...).

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Today was the third time I got a "your CV is so impressive that we'll keep your data on hand for future opportunities. the current vacancy? oh, that's no go, buddy!" response since June. Yet worst bit was going to an in-office interview only to be told I didn't have the right experience for the job... dude, you had all my information and detailed experiences right there, why make me get an uber just to hear this bullshit?

It's all very frustrating and demoralizing.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

I'd reach out again on Monday and remind her. Some recruiters love to ghost people. Its a really good way to shrink your potential labor pool. A few years ago I was in the job market and a recruiter reached me through linkedin and said they really needed someone to start right away. Talked to him that day, the hiring manager the next, and then the program director on day three. The recruiter told me they would make a final decision that afternoon and let me know. Never got any kind of response, not even a canned 'thanks for your time' email.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
I'd reach out again on Monday and remind her. Some recruiters love to ghost people. Its a really good way to shrink your potential labor pool. A few years ago I was in the job market and a recruiter reached me through linkedin and said they really needed someone to start right away. Talked to him that day, the hiring manager the next, and then the program director on day three. The recruiter told me they would make a final decision that afternoon and let me know. Never got any kind of response, not even a canned 'thanks for your time' email.
Did you reach out again to that recruiter?

It's just so odd. They reached out to ME, pitched ME the company and why I'd love to work there, and now they're being weird about it haha. It's also a huge, reputable company, not some start-up (with which I had similar experiences but brushed it off for being, well, start-ups).

Today was the third time I got a "your CV is so impressive that we'll keep your data on hand for future opportunities. the current vacancy? oh, that's no go, buddy!" response since June. Yet worst bit was going to an in-office interview only to be told I didn't have the right experience for the job... dude, you had all my information and detailed experiences right there, why make me get an uber just to hear this bullshit?

It's all very frustrating and demoralizing.
Genuinely. I graduated cum laude (we don't have magna, summa here, just "cum laude") in a degree everyone's saying the industry is bukkakeing over, and after applying to 50+ places for a month, all I gotta show for is being invited to the second round of interviews for a place I didn't even apply to as I was contacted by a recruiter, only to now being seemingly ghosted. Every other place flat out rejected or just ignored me.

I feel defeated. I'm sure it'll all work out eventually, but it's not nice to say the least.

Last edited:

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland

If they're supposed to be doing the interviews today or tomorrow and you haven't gotten any details, yeah, I'd reach out. If not, do it Monday.

As for ghosting, I was ghosted after MONTHS of being lead on by a recruiter. Each month they would update me on an upcoming college hire event, and one day I never heard back. I called and the recruiter said "Sorry, I no longer work with recruiting at [company]".

Two months later I went to a career fair at my college and one of my stops was the same company. Handed my resume to a recruiter who's name sounded familiar (you guessed it), and they said "I've definitely seen this resume cross my desk before."

Had an interview the next day and got the job. I was graduating in another two months at that point.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Did you reach out again to that recruiter?

It's just so odd. They reached out to ME, pitched ME the company and why I'd love to work there, and now they're being weird about it haha. It's also a huge, reputable company, not some start-up (with which I had similar experiences but brushed it off for being, well, start-ups).

I called and him email three times each. Even after it was clear I didn't get the job. I just wanted to get some confirmation after accommodating them so much lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow went from "we'll let you know by Friday" to ...

"We have not quite made our decision yet but I will be in touch over the next few weeks."

Oct 26, 2017
I'm here to share in the gloom!

Interviewed with a company that had a project that I found super interesting, interview went well, was told by recruiter I'd be getting an offer which was a substantial salary bump (As well as an extra week's holidays), but now, just over a week later I get another call to say they don't have the budget and so aren't making me an offer.

Really disappointed, I had properly gotten hyped up about working there. I know something else will come along eventually but this initial bit really sucks.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Got an email from a head hunter Tuesday morning that she'd like to schedule some time to talk to me this week. I messaged back that morning that I'd love to speak with her any time she's available...crickets. I went ahead and pinged her again yesterday morning just in case she didn't see my response and still nothing. I mean I don't expect an immediate response or anything but at least have some courtesy.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Came here to vent. Recruiting in general is broken. It's ironic how, on the hiring side, I could get thirty resumes and find one that I'd want to interview, let alone hire. But on the flip side, as an experienced, well-networked professional in my discipline who has been a high-performer at every organization prior, I can't even get a callback.

I've thought about cold-reaching out to some folks on LinkedIn at other organizations who are socially active in my discipline for career advice and mentoring, as I can't get that at my current organization (read: I value opinions outside of my current organization more). Would that be weird?

Has anyone had an experience with a career coach? Might that be the way to go? I'm just thinking I'm doing something wrong to keep getting passed over, both at my current organization as well as in my career search.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Man, make sure you tune your resume for the position you are applying for. I'm not a hiring manager or anything, but a specialist in one technical area, so I was recently involved in the interview process for a technical position in that area. If I were in charge I woulda tossed the resume long ago, because it only referenced the main skill that was part of the job title once, as the very last word on the resume as one of the skills (personally, I put my skills in order of confidence in that skill, so...not a great sign). Yet, we chose to hire the person, because despite that, they actually were experienced in that area enough to do the job, which came through at the interview.

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So, my friend shared a position she was sent on LinkedIn because she had no interest in it and I'm more suited for the role in her opinion. She said she will recommend me to the recruiter and shared their email with me.

Well, now she does want to apply for it and asked me to send in my CV myself and did not mention me at all to the recruiter. I'm wondering if I should add that I got the email address from my friend or not, because the address and poisition is not available anywhere.

Not sure what to do to be honest...