• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I really thought I did well on my interview Tuesday but I just got this in my inbox

After careful consideration and collaboration with the hiring manager, we've decided to pursue other candidates at this time. Please let me know if there are any other positions open currently or in the future you are interested in. If you meet qualifications, I would welcome another conversation and encourage we connect over the phone to discuss other opportunities you are interested in.

I feel like I want to crawl in a hole a die. I was really looking forward to getting that job and I feel like maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Maybe I'm bad at interviewing. God it's so stressful and time consuming and to end up with NOTHING....

Last edited:

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Happened to me, like, all the time. I'm so fed up of waiting and rejection.

I have another interview lined up in a couple of weeks, this time directly with the boss. If it fails, I'll probably look for another opportunity, maybe start my own business.
But I really hate asking money from my parents.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Hey everyone. Do you want to feel better about yourself today? Well you've come to the right place. I just had probably the most embarrassing moment of the past year around noon today. Have a read:

Been looking for jobs for the past 2 months or so because my current contract is over at the end of this year. Not even a bit of luck at any point so far then today, 2 minutes before my lunch break I get a call from a cannabis facility in Vancouver. I'm so taken aback and unprepared for this already and then they ask why I chose to apply for their company over the competition. This is a job I applied for over 3 weeks ago. I panicked and froze like a motherfucker and just stammered for a solid 20 seconds. I apologized and said I wasn't really prepared for this and then they hung up.

God damn am I a socially stunted idiot.

This is the first time I've ever been hung up on during an interview. It could have been my ticket to Vancouver and I fucked it harder then you will ever believe.

I've definately been asked that question before, but it's always during in person interviews after I've had a chance to research the company a bit. Just pulling it out of the blue like that caught me way off guard and like I said I couldn't remember a single thing about the company or job in question. I was like "Well obviously you guys are in the cannabis industry and I really like that you....uhh...i really like that.....ummm..I really like that you guys....I'm really sorry I'm incredibly unprepared for this....you guys like the environment is what I'm trying to say..."

click

Like dear God it couldn't have gone any worse I don't think. Why must my social anxiety ruin everything for me?

A place that calls you up out of the blue to conduct a phone interview and then hangs up is probably not the sort of place you would want to work for anyway.

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
Question at bottom of this post, but a little bit of context first...

I recently interviewed for a team lead position at my current company within my business unit (not quite supervisor level, but I'd have a few resources reporting to me - handling their expense and time approval, professional development, etc), but since it's not a true supervisor position I wouldn't be eligible for management incentive bonuses. My current job is in healthcare IT and travel the States and Canada about 70-80% of the year (I work from home when not on the road); the travel perks are nice, but after doing this for about 4 years it's a little old. After some recent company changes and a general lack of excitement about future products (I feel like our company isn't doing enough to remain competitive in the marketplace), I started looking at outside opportunities.

I interviewed for a senior healthcare IT admin at local group of hospitals a week ago and they offered me a position yesterday. I tried to negotiate the starting salary a bit higher, but's it's a firm offer. I'm struggling to decide if a 6k dollar salary increase outweighs: the 45min - 1hour commute each way, having to buy a car (along with insurance, gas, etc), and loss of travel benefits.

Question: Should I be expecting more than 6k dollar salary increase when changing job/company?

Edit: My current company has not made a decision on the team lead position yet, but the hospital group wants to move fast. Hospital group does offer a pension (though I guess that could get taken away at any time). And they offer slightly more in tuition reimbursement; planning on getting my online/evening MBA.

Last edited:

Killah

Jan 21, 2018
I had an in-person interview on Thursday, had a great time. Both of the interviewers seemed to like me, both even said I was a perfect fit for the job but they still had some other interviews to go through. But I guess that's still a good sign.

I'm really anxious and nervous right now cause from the interview I feel like this would be a great job for me which will give me a 50% raise over what I'm currently making with full benefits and other perks. I just hope my search will finally be over and I don't get a rejection email/call, fingers crossed.

Oct 26, 2017
Update; after a 6 month on/off period of hiring freezes, role description changes, switching recruiters, I finally received an offer for the job I had been pursuing (on my birthday, too!). I'm extremely nervous about being able to do the job well since it's returning to an area of my profession that I'm feeling kind of rusty on, but the alternative is sticking to my current job and being boxed into a role that has little to do with my long-term goals so it's for the best.

Nervous about resignation though - the process had taken so long that I've actually come to like my coworkers.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, how late before starting a job can you morally bail on actually starting it?

I'm in uni, and have been looking for a part-time thing since the semester started. No application got any response early on, but two weeks ago a new friend at uni recommended me to his boss where he works. She was super quick and on about it and last week I went there for an interview and basically said yes on the spot after an hours interview. I am supposed to start on Thursday, and sign the contract then. She has been very clear that her and her colleague running their operation are completely overwhelmed by work and need someone to start ASAP.

Cue Monday morning today, and one of the companies I applied for early in the semester gets back to me and wants to set up an interview. I'd say the roles are about the same in relevance, but this one I have more direct experience for doing. The main kicker though is that this one is 5 minutes walking distance from uni, which in turn is 15 minutes walking distance from my home. The one I'm supposed to start is about 75-90 minutes door-to-door with an hour on the train, which I would have to do 2-3 times a week.

Basically, I'm in a really time-pressured situation of getting down to knowing if the nearby role actually wants me, and how I break that to the woman who thinks she has hired me. Also, I really don't want it to ruin an early friendship at uni...

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
What are some tips for taking a personality test? I'm not really trying to "beat" it, but some of these things have nuance.

"I enjoy being liked and respected by my co-workers." Strongly Disagree | Disagree | Neutral | Agree | Strongly Agree - I mean, I like being respected as much as the next person, but even if I'm not, that doesn't mean I can't still act professional.

"Things are often more fun when children are around." Strongly Disagree | Disagree | Neutral | Agree | Strongly Agree - They can be, sometimes, I guess?

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
Just be honest with yourself and go for the answer that feels right to you. It's not something to beat or decieve.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand these companies that have me come in for an interview-and then a week later send an email out saying "we would like you to come in to meet with a few more people"

Motherfuckers I already took time off from my job to come see you-why can't you do it all at once?

There's no value placed on my time. Trying to sneak around doing this while already employed is stressful as fuck.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I really thought I did well on my interview Tuesday but I just got this in my inbox

I feel like I want to crawl in a hole a die. I was really looking forward to getting that job and I feel like maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Maybe I'm bad at interviewing. God it's so stressful and time consuming and to end up with NOTHING....
The same thing just happened to me this week. I'm usually nervous and stutter a bit during interviews but this time around I was confident because It was a job similar to my previous one and its seasonal so I'm not going expecting to keep the job after the holiday rush. So I do really good at the interview, I even get along with the supervisor sharing stories about my previous job and his previous workers. Welp not even 24 hours later I get the usual "went with someone else" response. It sucks man, I mean I get that I'm probably overqualified for a retail seasonal job but man how am I suppose to get "work experience" if you wont hire me XD

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017

This literally just happened to me yesterday. It fucking sucks, but I feel like the majority of people out there aren't great at being interviewed.

On another note, it really sucks that jobs look at your resume, asks you to do an interview, and then ask if you have other "real" experience outside of your resume. Like... I probably would've put that in there if I did in the first place you know. Man, I'm just frustrated but I know I just gotta keep on looking.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Those applications where they make you manually input all the information and then attach your resume (which is now essentially redundant), do they tend to look at the manually inputted stuff, or do they go straight to the resume itself?

Or is it like a computer is combing through it first and that's why they want you to type everything in?

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Those applications where they make you manually input all the information and then attach your resume (which is now essentially redundant), do they tend to look at the manually inputted stuff, or do they go straight to the resume itself?

Or is it like a computer is combing through it first and that's why they want you to type everything in?

The second option is the correct. The system filters for certain keywords they define previously, and if the system lets your application go forward, then they see your CV.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
So awhile back I interviewed back for a Level 1 IT help desk position. I thought I did pretty well. I check back 2 weeks later with the hiring manager and says the position is filled but he encouraged me to apply for the Level 2 help desk position which he said would be a better fit for me. Now I'm supposed to come in to interview again this Friday for this position. Since I'm fairly certain I'm going to see the same people from the first interview I'm kind of at a loss as to what questions to ask without sounding repetitive. Should I treat this as a second interview of sorts, even though it's for a different position?

Ryoku

Oct 28, 2017
I graduated last May with my bachelors. After five soul-crushing months of applications, phone screenings, phone and in-person interviews, I finally got an offer as a software engineer.
Holy shit, I am beyond elated. I was not expecting this salary nor was I expecting to be a software engineer. What I'm most excited about is that I get to work on something directly that has significant real-world implications.
I got the call yesterday and the person asked me about my salary expectations. Of course, based off of my past interviews, I low-balled it, but they responded with, "Yeah, we'll definitely pay you way more than that," and,boy, were they telling the truth. I didn't want to overstate my expected compensation given that I have 0 years of professional experience and my past applications were essentially canned because, "Lol, $50k too high."
What I find interesting is that I wouldn't even consider the in-person interview for this position my best. I have had several other interviews which I would say were among my best interviews, but I had either not gotten an offer from those companies or got ghosted. Maybe it's just the lower self-esteem that comes from the whole job-search process.

I didn't post in this thread much, but I have been lurking here and r/jobs throughout these past five months. I'd say that knowing there are others that were in my position (sometimes even worse) was bittersweet. On one hand, it was nice to be able to sympathize with others, but on the other, I was worried that I may remain unemployed for more than a year. I was looking into taking relatively low-paying internships to gain experience or even move to Japan to teach English (my Japanese is pretty decent). Luckily I don't have to fall back onto those plans (though, moving to Japan was more than just a simple fallback plan). It took everything I had to keep myself from falling into the spiral of depression. Been there, done that. What I probably should have done was start the job search process a semester or two before I graduated. Although I started the process before graduating, it was not as thorough as it became after July. I was probably averaging at about 3-5 applications a week before that. I was too busy trying to complete school itself while working (unpaid) as a TA. At least that's what I like to tell myself.

I'd say I applied to 200+ positions (including paid internships).
Got phone screened for about 15 of those positions.
Got a phone interview for about 10.
In-person interview for 6.
1 offer.

I was just looking for a foot into the industry, so my job search encompassed a multitude of positions:
IT/System analyst/administrator
Network analyst/administrator
Computer systems technician
Software engineer
Business analyst
Help-desk support
... And more

I used LinkedIn and Indeed for pretty much all of my applications (mostly Indeed since it has a way to track your applications). From there, I used the companies' online portals to apply for more positions if I found something I liked.

Keep applying. You'll have days where you won't feel like applying, where you simply hate even thinking about applying, and then hate yourself for not applying. I learned that it's okay to take some time off from applying--especially if you'd just applied for 10 or so positions in the past day or two. It helps keep the bulk of the stress from getting to you. Just know that in the end, it's a numbers game. I don't mean to give off a holier-than-thou vibe. This is all just a snippet of my experience that I wanted to share with you all.

Last edited:

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I graduated last May with my bachelors. After five soul-crushing months of applications, phone screenings, phone and in-person interviews, I finally got an offer as a software engineer at the NIH.
Holy shit, I am beyond elated. I was not expecting this salary nor was I expecting to be a software engineer. What I'm most excited about is that I get to work on something directly that has significant real-world implications.
I got the call yesterday and the person asked me about my salary expectations. Of course, based off of my past interviews, I low-balled it, but they responded with, "Yeah, we'll definitely pay you way more than that," and,boy, were they telling the truth. I didn't want to overstate my expected compensation given that I have 0 years of professional experience and my past applications were essentially canned because, "Lol, $50k too high."
What I find interesting is that I wouldn't even consider the in-person interview for this position my best. I have had several other interviews which I would say were among my best interviews, but I had either not gotten an offer from those companies or got ghosted. Maybe it's just the lower self-esteem that comes from the whole job-search process.

I didn't post in this thread much, but I have been lurking here and r/jobs throughout these past five months. I'd say that knowing there are others that were in my position (sometimes even worse) was bittersweet. On one hand, it was nice to be able to sympathize with others, but on the other, I was worried that I may remain unemployed for more than a year. I was looking into taking relatively low-paying internships to gain experience or even move to Japan to teach English (my Japanese is pretty decent). Luckily I don't have to fall back onto those plans (though, moving to Japan was more than just a simple fallback plan). It took everything I had to keep myself from falling into the spiral of depression. Been there, done that. What I probably should have done was start the job search process a semester or two before I graduated. Although I started the process before graduating, it was not as thorough as it became after July. I was probably averaging at about 3-5 applications a week before that. I was too busy trying to complete school itself while working (unpaid) as a TA. At least that's what I like to tell myself.

I'd say I applied to 200+ positions (including paid internships).
Got phone screened for about 15 of those positions.
Got a phone interview for about 10.
In-person interview for 6.
1 offer.

I was just looking for a foot into the industry, so my job search encompassed a multitude of positions:
IT/System analyst/administrator
Network analyst/administrator
Computer systems technician
Software engineer
Business analyst
Help-desk support
... And more

I used LinkedIn and Indeed for pretty much all of my applications (mostly Indeed since it has a way to track your applications). From there, I used the companies' online portals to apply for more positions if I found something I liked.

Keep applying. You'll have days where you won't feel like applying, where you simply hate even thinking about applying, and then hate yourself for not applying. I learned that it's okay to take some time off from applying--especially if you'd just applied for 10 or so positions in the past day or two. It helps keep the bulk of the stress from getting to you. Just know that in the end, it's a numbers game. I don't mean to give off a holier-than-thou vibe. This is all just a snippet of my experience that I wanted to share with you all.

Congrats! I wish you the best in your new job.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand these companies that have me come in for an interview-and then a week later send an email out saying "we would like you to come in to meet with a few more people"

Motherfuckers I already took time off from my job to come see you-why can't you do it all at once?

There's no value placed on my time. Trying to sneak around doing this while already employed is stressful as fuck.
You're looking at this the wrong way. What's almost certainly happening is that they liked the look of you in the first interview and probably established that you had the requisite skills and experience to be a serious candidate. What they want to do now is make sure that you're a decent fit for the team and environment (and probably ask some follow-up questions to flesh things out) and the way to do that is to have you meet some additional team members / supervisors / managers. It'll normally be in a slightly less formal setting than the first interview and it's a good chance for both sides to feel each other out a bit more. Sure, it's a pain in the arse having to take time off but if you feel like it's too much of an imposition on your time then tell them you don't want to be considered further, I guess?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
You're looking at this the wrong way. What's almost certainly happening is that they liked the look of you in the first interview and probably established that you had the requisite skills and experience to be a serious candidate. What they want to do now is make sure that you're a decent fit for the team and environment (and probably ask some follow-up questions to flesh things out) and the way to do that is to have you meet some additional team members / supervisors / managers. It'll normally be in a slightly less formal setting than the first interview and it's a good chance for both sides to feel each other out a bit more. Sure, it's a pain in the arse having to take time off but if you feel like it's too much of an imposition on your time then tell them you don't want to be considered further, I guess?

I mean that's great and all but I've used up all my PTO at my current job doing all these repeat interviews and I now have nothing to show for it. In fact I now have less than nothing to show for it because I have no PTO time.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Well, at least you've got some more interview experience and the knowledge that you must be doing something right if they want you to come in for a second interview.

Always worth asking if you can meet with these people via Skype/phone, perhaps during your lunch break, if that would get around the issue of not having much time available.

Oct 28, 2017
I went through a final interview last week for a big software company for a full time position out of college. I had to go through 3 rounds of coding questions. To be honest, I really thought all of the questions were easier than I expected for this company and I did really well.

I just got an email the other day and they're asking me to do another interview, but this time on the phone. They said they have to do this because they believe the questions they asked across the interviews were too similar. So I guess I gotta get ready for the tougher questions now.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
So, I started my new job this week, and just a few days later I get an email from the manager at a company one of my professors sent my resume to with a recommendation a few months ago, now really interested in interviewing me. It's almost certainly a more interesting job and I think the pay could be upwards of 8-10k better (which in my pay range is a lot). Did I dun goofed? Job hopping a couple weeks after starting a new job is a pretty bad look isn't it?

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
So, I started my new job this week, and just a few days later I get an email from the manager at a company one of my professors sent my resume to with a recommendation a few months ago, now really interested in interviewing me. It's almost certainly a more interesting job and I think the pay could be upwards of 8-10k better (which in my pay range is a lot). Did I dun goofed? Job hopping a couple weeks after starting a new job is a pretty bad look isn't it?
It will probably burn bridges with your current employer, but it doesn't have to be an issue in terms of it looking bad to future employers - if you're worried about it looking bad on your CV then just omit it entirely.

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017

Not really. Just never ever mention the company you were with for a few days again. I guess the only reason to think twice is if you're working with people who have a lot of personal cloud in your field, but even then it wouldn't matter for long.

At least here in the Netherlands, the first month you start somewhere both employer and employee can terminate the contract immediately for any reason. It happened to me once and i've seen it happen to friends too, so i have no qualms anymore about doing it if it's in my advantage.

LaydinJinn

Oct 31, 2017
After spending months trying to get a job, got one with a startup in February, and got laid off again in August, I had to go back to the soul-crushing grind.

There is this company I really like, did three rounds of phone interviews, and a 4 hours onsite interview with six people last week. I pretty much lost my voice and was so drained towards the end I fumbled and blanked on a question and had to ramble my way through. It sucks because this interviewer was actually THE hiring manager. I am anticipating the "went with someone else" email or call any day now, and it just sucks I went through all that and probably will end up with nothing.

I am so mentally drained and will probably take a short break from all this.

AngryMoth

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to feel really despondent about looking for my first job as a developer. I took a year off after finishing my CS degree to go teach english in China because it had been a dream to live in a foreign country but I'm starting to think that was a huge mistake. I've spent the last few months reviewing my degree so I can hopefully do alright on the coding interview questions and working on an iOS app as a portfolio piece but I still have no confidence in myself to apply for any positions. I feel like my abilities are not up to par and I don't meet the requirements listed for graduate positions. I seem to have accidentally chosen a profession where it's expected that it is also your hobby and I should been working on side projects and learning various technologies for years already.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
I had a phone interview this morning and I feel like I flubbed it up. It's a weird position and I'm a perfect fit in some ways and probably under-qualified in others. It's hard because I've worked the same job for almost 20 years. My rut is so deep I can't see the stars. I expect to get the "not a good fit" email by Monday.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
How long do you have to make a decision when an offer is given to you, typically?

I think Company 1 is making me an offer today

But I have interviews with company 2 and 3 on Thursday and Friday and Id like to see how they pan out.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How long do you have to make a decision when an offer is given to you, typically?

I think Company 1 is making me an offer today

But I have interviews with company 2 and 3 on Thursday and Friday and Id like to see how they pan out.
Depends on the company and the recruiter. 72 hours is normal

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I applied to a position at my company on LinkedIn. I just know some Vice President looked at my LinkedIn profile, and I got a notification that they viewed my application. But, that's it.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been steadily apply the last month or so since my contract runs out in a couple weeks. I really despise recruiters.
I had two phone interviews set up with two different recruiters. Neither called me. I emailed them both, one got back and said she scheduled it for the following Friday (when we talked on a Monday about a time that week). She asked if we could talk on Monday, I said sure. No call again. And no call on the Friday she had on her calendar.
I always get ghosted from recruiters, when I do email then and I get a response it is usually "oh sorry yeah we heard back earlier they went with someone else" WHY didn't you tell me then?

Done with recruiters.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a phone interview with a hiring manager for a government contractor for a low-level IT position yesterday and I have a phone interview with their IT manager tomorrow. I'm feeling confident but nervous at the same time. I don't know what questions they might ask me and I don't know what I'll be asked at an in-person interview (assuming I get one). What kinds of questions might I be asked? What are good answers to the typical dumb interview questions? How should I act during the interview?

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I've been applying for public health jobs for almost a year, and nothing to show for it. Incredibly depressing and draining emotionally and mentally. Worst of all, I apply for state positions and have to wait months to even see if there are vacancies after all the online paperwork involved. Almost none of the positions are entry level, and those that are often don't pay anywhere near what the living expenses of that city happens for be. A few face-to-face interviews and phone interviews later and I am screwed. On top of having to pay my loans starting January .

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of listings (advertisements?) for these teach English online jobs. Does anyone have experience with this kind of job?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Starting to feel really despondent about looking for my first job as a developer. I took a year off after finishing my CS degree to go teach english in China because it had been a dream to live in a foreign country but I'm starting to think that was a huge mistake. I've spent the last few months reviewing my degree so I can hopefully do alright on the coding interview questions and working on an iOS app as a portfolio piece but I still have no confidence in myself to apply for any positions. I feel like my abilities are not up to par and I don't meet the requirements listed for graduate positions. I seem to have accidentally chosen a profession where it's expected that it is also your hobby and I should been working on side projects and learning various technologies for years already.

What's stopping you? The one advice anyone in the developer community has to get employed, is to build your portfolio.

Few companies will want to hire a developer with no experience, unless you are an unpaid intern.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I've been offered a job making more money than I currently make. It sounds fantastic-the only thing is I get to work early hours at my current job so I can skip the rush hour commute.

With the new job I'll be in the awful commute.

Additionally-I've never had to deal with this before but I really feel guilt about having to turn in my letter of resignation to my boss who I really respect. I don't like the company or the work but he's always been good to me.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I've been offered a job making more money than I currently make. It sounds fantastic-the only thing is I get to work early hours at my current job so I can skip the rush hour commute.

With the new job I'll be in the awful commute.

Additionally-I've never had to deal with this before but I really feel guilt about having to turn in my letter of resignation to my boss who I really respect. I don't like the company or the work but he's always been good to me.
Commute's can be worked around either with mass transit or figuring out new/different routes. Ultimatwy they are minor pain to endure for better job/salary.

Fact that you want to write a letter of resignation is good enough. Don't feel guilt for bettering yourself and your life and if you Boss has as much respect for you as you do for them, then they will completely understand. Don't work for a shitty company any longer than need be, nice boss or no.

On a personal Note:

I finally decided enough is enough and I don't want to live in ohio any longer. My suburb failed to pass a school levy, the state funds schools in a fucked up way, and no one really seems to care.

So I am getting out there trying to move back to Central Virginia. I have a couple irons in the fire but gosh darnit the waiting is the hardest part. I hate that shit. Combine it with the irrational day dreaming of moving home and it makes it worse.

It did give me a good reason to update the resume though. I also really appreciate it when a company has a thorough online application submission process. Felt good actually applying for these jobs. Full steam ahead, I uprooted 6 years ago to improve life for my family and myself, gonna do it again as soon as possible to take that next step.

of course right after posting this I get an email that two of the jobs I applied for are being filled. Helps to have an inside contact, but those were good positions. Need to keep swinging I guess.

Last edited:

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I'm 27 and have worked at the same place since I was around 18 now...it's a great place for experience as it's a small company where people bounce around tasks as necessary, and I've done customer services, sales, SEO and PPC work, website and database maintenance, trade shows, copywriting, accounting and more since I've been here. The trouble is I've now got to a point where the Managing Director is the only person who has superiority over me, which essentially means there is zero chance of ever being promoted. I actually enjoy being here, the people I work with are fun, I know what I'm doing, and it changes through the year. My problem is I'm absolutely broke as fuck. I live paycheck to paycheck, and not because I like to spend a lot or go out all the time, but because it literally isn't enough for my base level lifestyle. I get paid, pay my rent, do some food shopping, couple other bills and that's it, I'll have like £20 left to last me until the next payday (get paid weekly).

I've been going for a lot of jobs recently that match up with my experience, so mostly SEO and PPC positions, eCommerce positions, administration/secretarial positions, copywriting, anything that I vaguely have experience in (I also have a degree in Creative & Professional Writing). The trouble is doing all these things at one company makes my experience look super vague and not specialised. It has been soooo disheartening.

I had an interview for a really good SEO company back in August, first for a sales job, then they said I'd be better for a technical job and invited me for a second interview for that. Then they said they weren't actually hiring for the technical job until January and that they'd reconnect with me in November. I emailed them on the 4th checking if there was any progress, no response.

I've also been essentially scammed with a sales job that claimed a basic salary in the ad. They sent me on a 12 hour long trial day that included running for trains, filling half a notebook with exercise answers, three separate interviews etc. Only right after the last interview, and right before they offered me the job, did they admit there was no basic at all, it's all commission, and that I would likely make nothing for the first few weeks as I learnt the ropes.

Have three interviews this week, if none of them come off I will probably leave it until the New Year. I don't really know the point of this post I'm just ranting a little and hoping to get into the conversation a bit.

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I was made an offer for a job I interviewed with. I was very excited and accepted the interview.

I don't know what's going on with me but I'm now having second thoughts. At my current job I work early hours which allows me to get home in time to see my daughter as soon as she gets home from school.

My hours would change at this new job so I'd be working later hours. My commute would be during rush hour and be more crowded.

It's a small bump in pay and the company seems great-but the difference in quality of life is bothering me. I'm almost crying thinking about how I will have to see my daughter less.

I don't know what to do.