• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Got my first on-site interview in a couple days, for a tech position at a nanotechnology company! Very excite! There's only one other person in the same tech position and it sounds like he/she has a very similar background to mine, so I'm feeling not too bad about my chances.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have an interview for a mobile app internship at my country's main Bank tomorrow. I made it onto their short list of 5 which is an amazing feeling after so many rejections. Really hope I get it, would help me tremendously when I finish my degree in a year and need a job.

I've been looking on reddit for tips, but thought I'd ask here since most of you are in IT, Any questions I should be prepared for / any questions I should ask at the end? People seem to suggest asking them if they have any concerns about your application

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I have an interview for a mobile app internship at my country's main Bank tomorrow. I made it onto their short list of 5 which is an amazing feeling after so many rejections. Really hope I get it, would help me tremendously when I finish my degree in a year and need a job.

I've been looking on reddit for tips, but thought I'd ask here since most of you are in IT, Any questions I should be prepared for / any questions I should ask at the end? People seem to suggest asking them if they have any concerns about your application

Why would you do that? Ask something random about corporate culture. Big organizations love those types of questions because you are thinking about the soft aspects of the job not just the quantitative ones (salary / benefits whatever). It doesn't matter if you actually care about that or not. Don't ask them to find issues with your CV, that's just a terrible advice.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Why would you do that? Ask something random about corporate culture. Big organizations love those types of questions because you are thinking about the soft aspects of the job not just the quantitative ones (salary / benefits whatever). It doesn't matter if you actually care about that or not. Don't ask them to find issues with your CV, that's just a terrible advice.
What kind of corporate culture questions do you recommend asking? I've got a number of questions in mind for my interview although they're more about the work/position itself and the products they make. It's also a smaller company.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
What kind of corporate culture questions do you recommend asking? I've got a number of questions in mind for my interview although they're more about the work/position itself and the products they make. It's also a smaller company.

Something like "Could you describe me what are the key thing that define corporate culture in your company?" or something like that. It shows that you're trying to understand the company and how you might fit into it. This in my experience is much better than just throwing dry, technical questions at them, which is probably what they get from most candidates. Best of luck!

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I see applications that ask if you have any family members that already works there. Does having relatives working there help or hurt your chances?

Killah

Jan 21, 2018
Well I had my second interview today, I think it went well. Said they'd call me sometime next week with an offer if I get the job. Crossing my fingers.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Got my on-site interview tomorrow and I'm a little nervous. How do second interviews usually go compared to an initial phone interview? It's for a somewhat-entry-level position at a small/mid-sized tech company, and the phone interview was 20-25 minutes long and just had a few behavioral questions, a little description of the company and position, and I asked them several questions at the end. They've been around over 20 years but unfortunately there's literally nothing about them on GlassDoor or indeed.com.

Also, if they don't bring it up themselves, when should things like pay/benefits come up?

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Been in my new job essentially a full month now, about 2 and a half weeks actually working. Already going to start looking for new work. The staff on my company end are nice, but the job itself has been pretty bad imo. Maybe I was just used to a more friendly and slightly productive atmosphere before. Feels like I can't talk with anyone or actually be useful this time and its gotten to me pretty quick.

Granted I only wanted to keep this job for at least 6 months and hope something better comes around in spring but I was hoping the experience in a new city and new people would be interesting at least. Already going stir crazy with the lack of communication and skills of the staff I have to work with daily.

I want to start looking for a new job but its the off season so to speak for new jobs. Also considering moving back to America if I can get something in gaming related like writing/news/community support but thats a long pipe dream of mine.

-sigh- just frustrated and bored I guess.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Nearly a year out after getting my master's in computer science, and I haven't found a job or used this last year to work on projects or improve my programming skills. I really don't know what I'm even going to tell interviewers what I've been doing other than trying to improve my skills using sites like Hackerrank.

I have no idea why any company would pick me over candidates that are probably just as good who haven't been out of a job for a year.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
My interview went alright I suppose, but the more I think about it the more it sucked. Some of these fucking questions they throw at you....it's like what do you want from me? One of the questions was "who are your personal heroes", and I have none, never had anyone I consider a hero, and I didn't anticipate this question so I couldn't come up with a bullshit answer ahead of time. I eventually mumbled some bullshit about my father but I don't think it came off as genuine. Fuck. I hate this shit.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
My interview went alright I suppose, but the more I think about it the more it sucked. Some of these fucking questions they throw at you....it's like what do you want from me? One of the questions was "who are your personal heroes", and I have none, never had anyone I consider a hero, and I didn't anticipate this question so I couldn't come up with a bullshit answer ahead of time. I eventually mumbled some bullshit about my father but I don't think it came off as genuine. Fuck. I hate this shit.
I had a recent interview where one person asked what animal I would be and the hiring manager asked me "If the government decided to move Mount Rushmore to the Smokie Mountains and put you in charge, how would you do it?" It was suppose to be a see how you think question per him, but I still thought it was stupid.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there any non-generic questions that you guys recommend to ask in an interview?

Do research on the company/organization and try to find a topical question. For the job I have now I asked how the agency would respond to a proposed law that would affect one of the types of cases they handle, the panel was super impressed and I think it helped me stand out. Look at industry trends or see if the company has been in the news and ask something simple that will show you know the work and the company.

Killah

Jan 21, 2018
Has anyone been asked for the last four/five digits of your SSN when applying for a job through a recruiter?

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, I am probably going to start sending resumes out this weekend. I am being passed over on a promotion for someone outside the company. I know the responsible thing is to stay employed and find a job while currently employed, but it's going to be really hard, especially since finding jobs can take months. Wish me luck. In the mean time "Serenity now".

Impostor syndrome is hitting me hard while applying on IT jobs :(
I know that feeling all too well. About six months ago, I thought I had my path figured out. Now, I feel like I am back at square one.

Last edited:

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
So the place I thought I sort of bombed part of the interview (more so a little test at the end) just emailed me asking for reference contact info. That's good, right?

It'd be kind of funny if I got offered a job from the first place I interview at before even hearing from anybody else.

Also, it's definitely the smallest company I applied to. Like 50 people max, maybe just a few dozen. They've been around for a couple decades and are doing well and just saw their most profitable year. Any significant disadvantages or advantages in working for a small company vs a medium or large company?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So the place I thought I sort of bombed part of the interview (more so a little test at the end) just emailed me asking for reference contact info. That's good, right?

It'd be kind of funny if I got offered a job from the first place I interview at before even hearing from anybody else.

Also, it's definitely the smallest company I applied to. Like 50 people max, maybe just a few dozen. They've been around for a couple decades and are doing well and just saw their most profitable year. Any significant disadvantages or advantages in working for a small company vs a medium or large company?
It sounds like good news to me! I think once a place is looking at your references, it's coming down to them already having decided to hire you but just making sure you are who they think you are. At my current company, reference check actually came after the offer.

As for smaller versus larger companies, at smaller places, you get to wear more hats and get a wider breadth of experience. The downside is you have to wear more hats and do stuff that probably falls outside your job description. The smaller company is probably going to have a culture of just getting things done, whereas the larger will likely have more defined processes and a focus on doing things right.

Tech is also going to be crappier at a smaller place.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
It sounds like good news to me! I think once a place is looking at your references, it's coming down to them already having decided to hire you but just making sure you are who they think you are. At my current company, reference check actually came after the offer.

As for smaller versus larger companies, at smaller places, you get to wear more hats and get a wider breadth of experience. The downside is you have to wear more hats and do stuff that probably falls outside your job description. The smaller company is probably going to have a culture of just getting things done, whereas the larger will likely have more defined processes and a focus on doing things right.

Why is tech worse at smaller places? It definitely sounds like I'd be doing a variety of things, which is fine by me since I'd like to gain experience with different things.

Oct 28, 2017
I just had a phone interview that I was close to hanging up on. The lady's first language clearly wasnt English and I didn't understand a lot of what she said the first time she said it. I just gave short answers just to get it over with.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why is tech worse at smaller places? It definitely sounds like I'd be doing a variety of things, which is fine by me since I'd like to gain experience with different things.
It's a cost thing. Bigger companies have more budget for tech and support.

To clarify, by tech, I mean business support stuff, like video conferencing, single sign on, etc.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
I had 2 phone interviews last week and an in-person interview on monday. They gave me a take-home design test that wasnt due until thursday (i turned it in on tuesday). I have been on pins and needles since. I have a referral to the company too and hes a senior in another dept.

I feel lost right now.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I had 2 phone interviews last week and an in-person interview on monday. They gave me a take-home design test that wasnt due until thursday (i turned it in on tuesday). I have been on pins and needles since. I have a referral to the company too and hes a senior in another dept.

I feel lost right now.
Stay strong friend,

If you've been given 3 interviews it means you're already in the top percentage of applicants. Phone interviews are used to separate the wheat from the chaff, if you've made it to in-persons it means they're already seriously considering you.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am working but looking for a better (paying) job and something different in regards to products. I've just got an email message from someone from a company that has a big focus on focus as a call center. I work on UI (a little UX) and they're looking for someone that also knows HTML, CSS and javascript. My issue is that I looked at glassdoor, and they have a 3.3/5 rating. However, those ratings are based on people who do the calls, which will have nothing to do with my division. I'm going to respond back and see what he says anyways. :\

Why didn't you just say you don't have one? I don't have any heroes and would have answered the same way. It is a bizarre and pseudo-intellectual question though.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Why didn't you just say you don't have one? I don't have any heroes and would have answered the same way. It is a bizarre and pseudo-intellectual question though.
I considered it, but I wasn't really sure what the were getting at with that one, and if it was a question that would cast me in a negative light somehow if I basically said "next question".

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I considered it, but I wasn't really sure what the were getting at with that one, and if it was a question that would cast me in a negative light somehow if I basically said "next question".
I think as long as you rationalize your answer well enough, you should be ok. Though it also depends what kind of person is interviewing you :S

Oct 30, 2017
I've been unemployed now for a month. I lost my job at a non-profit on August 21st due to "downsizing." I've actually been looking for a new job for a long time, but I just haven't been able to land it. I just had two interviews this week and got rejections from three jobs I applied to and interviewed for today. I'm so fucking depressed. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. I think I'm flubbing the interviews in some way, but it's not like anyone will give me any feedback on what I may have done wrong or what worked against me. One of those jobs I got rejected from today was a substitute teaching position with a school district I used to sub at before my last job. I worked for them for three years, had multiple long-term assignments, and had teachers requesting me specifically to sub for them. I left the position in good standing. Yet now, for whatever reason I'm suddenly not good enough. Do you guys have any recommendations for how I can try and seek feedback from these places I interview with?

Oct 27, 2017
Currently looking at some job offerings, just in case. Shit man, I feel like I'm outdated and that I don't know a lot of things that I should know by now :/

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017

Just want to clarify that it obviously depends on the place. I left a major Fortune 100 company for a smaller company of around ~200. The technology here is better than the large company I was at. I mean 4k screens in each conference room, super high conference cameras, among other things. It does move at a more brisk pace though. At my previous employer there were defined change management practices, documentation for everything, but what comes with that is also a lot of red tape when things need to get done, which can be frustrating in its own right. There's pros and cons to both types of employers.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
Does have any advice? I'm been looking for jobs everywhere without much luck. Either I don't get interviews or I can't make it past the last hurdle in the ones I do.

I have a few years experience as a product manager and recently got an MBA. Also...I hold a Mozambican passport which makes things a lot more difficult.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So.... If I accept a job elsewhere do I talk to my management and explain I am leaving due to the endless low key bulling from long term staff onto newer members of the team, the poor handling of recent mergers that disproportionately effects me and people in my work group and general feeling that I want to leave now before everyone else with actual talent who keeps my department afloat leaves too.

Or do I just politely ask for the reference and leave.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I work at home on Monday's. I am going to send out my resume while working from home. Only thing that comes close to satisfying on company time is shitting while getting paid.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
So.... If I accept a job elsewhere do I talk to my management and explain I am leaving due to the endless low key bulling from long term staff onto newer members of the team, the poor handling of recent mergers that disproportionately effects me and people in my work group and general feeling that I want to leave now before everyone else with actual talent who keeps my department afloat leaves too.

Or do I just politely ask for the reference and leave.
Very much depends on whether you want to burn bridges or not. Depending on your role, industry and stage of your career then there's a non-zero chance of coming across the same people again in the future so you might not want to do any that'll have a negative impact on your reputation and standing.

Also very much depends on whether you giving some home truths is likely to have any actual impact or result in positive changes (hint: it probably won't). Personally, I'd be ultra professional and leave on as good terms as possible even if you actually hated working there. You just never know when you're going to bump into individuals or companies again.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Quick question regarding internal interviews:
Do you tend to dress to the same level as you would for an interview outside of your current position or just doing slacks, dress shirt, and tie suffice? This is a management position with the position's supervisor, a senior manager. Follow-up would be with the department VP which would definitely mean full suit, but this one I was wonder if I could avoid the full suit for the day.

Standard dress is business casual that allows for jeans every day of the week.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
So how long should reference checking take? Company asked for my references Friday morning, still haven't heard anything. They're totally shut down on the weekends and maybe it takes more time for smaller companies, I dunno. But at what point should I do something like shoot them an email and inquire in some way about my status?

Shinku_King

Nov 11, 2017
Contract is up in a few weeks, I guess it's not a perm job so I need to look for something else, gonna try at home applecare. I really want to try to get into real estate from one of the big companies, I have a friend and he makes 50k a year on average. I'm not sure what I want to do but whatever it is I want to kinda do something non retail. Turning 26 in a few days an I haven't even cracked 40k a year kinda feeling a bit sad that the most I've made was 29k last year. Maybe I'm just to tough on myself.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
I got a desk job at this ecommerce site handling shipping procedures for a couple warehoues. The only issues is I've never had this lack of direction when starting somewhere before. My last clerical job someone walked me through all the steps and I was on track within a few hours. At this job I've just been shadowing someone for two days while they go through procedures but I haven't learned anything essentially. They gave me a binder with different work procedures but it's hard to really understand what I have to do without like... playing around with the 10 different portals? They gave me some filing at the end of the day but never explained it fully so I had to wing it lol.

I guess I'm just kind of nervous I'm going to get kicked out super fast.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It all depends on who manages the company, i work at a small company, smaller than the one you mention actually, and the person who created the company is still the CEO, we are treated great, have better benefits than i had on a multinational I worked before, I've been there close to 3 years now and couldn't be happier, I honestly never thought I'd find a joy i could enjoy, best of luck to you and hope you get the job!

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A couple of things:

First, I'm trying to be a bit more thorough when applying to jobs on LinkedIn. What I do now is I apply for a job (right now just the easy apply links, because I get so frustrated when I have to jot down all my information over and over on company websites), include a small two line cover letter, and then connect with one of the company recruiters/managers and add a note on how I want to connect with them in the hopes of landing a job in their company.

I feel part of my anxiety from job searching is I keep trying to bounce around the different sites when I should probably just focus on one solely, maybe two. LinkedIn's social features might be what I need to get my foot in any door, so I want to make that my primary job searching source. On that subject, I was wondering if we could set up a spreadsheet or something with LinkedIn profiles, for those who want to connect with one another. Whether or not it helps land a job, it probably would look good to a recruiter to see a profile with lots of professional connections attached.

The second matter is that you've likely seen me whine over and over about how I don't know what I want to do with a lifelong career. I tried watching a few self-help videos and came across this one that had the most views:

Curious if people find this a useful technique or total malarkey.

On the question of "What am I good at teaching people?", the answer that came to mind was on a technical setup level. The other day I was at a friend's house and spent some time setting up his new TV and PS4: I went through each setting exhaustively and taught him all sorts of stuff, like optimal picture settings, Game Mode, how to change their avatar, etc. It was pretty enjoyable and satisfying.

As for turning that into a lifelong career, well aside from working at a Best Buy, I'm drawing a blank.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Goddammit, I think I got my hopes up too high and spent the weekend unnecessarily happy just because that company asked for my reference contacts last friday. I haven't heard from them and I don't think they've contacted any of my references. Is it normal for a company to ask for references after an interview and then just sit on them this long?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Goddammit, I think I got my hopes up too high and spent the weekend unnecessarily happy just because that company asked for my reference contacts last friday. I haven't heard from them and I don't think they've contacted any of my references. Is it normal for a company to ask for references after an interview and then just sit on them this long?
It's Tuesday. They asked on Friday, probably expecting to get them on Monday, so it's been one business day at most to have had them move on it.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So how long should reference checking take? Company asked for my references Friday morning, still haven't heard anything. They're totally shut down on the weekends and maybe it takes more time for smaller companies, I dunno. But at what point should I do something like shoot them an email and inquire in some way about my status?
They most likely won't even do the reference check. If they do, it's probably an email survey sent to the people who then need to respond. Very very few companies actually call to do the reference check