• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It can be as social as you want it to be. I don't use it for anything other than applying to jobs or following companies I'm interested in.

Congrats! You should be fine on the credit check. I'm not sure exactly what they're looking for, it may be more big ticket items, but getting behind on some payments shouldn't be a deal breaker, otherwise they could possibly exclude a whole pool of worthy candidates. But definitely wait for the written offer before making any moves. The job I accepted last week was good about communication from the verbal, to background checks and the like. I've had other experiences where I got a verbal and for some reason or another, it fell through.
I got the written offer and am in the middle of the background check. I know I shouldn't be worried but I'm just wired that way. I've never ever had an issue with a background check in my life and I've managed the process for others thousands of times.

Going to give my notice today. Wish me luck!

Oct 27, 2017
So after 12 interviews with 8 separate companies over 3 months I've just signed a contract! Really relieved that this process is over. It takes so much out of you, especially if you're juggling a full-time job, and it's incredibly difficult to relax when you know you could be called up for an interview tomorrow or have to spend your entire weekend working on a technical test. Best of luck to everyone in this thread, I'm rooting for you <3

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
I've put in about 30+ applications through Indeed over the past 2 months and so far I got a scam offer to work for Valve and phone interview with Coke that never happened. It's frustrating, yo.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone here work in an IT help desk job? I'm having trouble finding part time work while I'm in school (currently employed in retail, want to do something that will give me legitimate experience). I'm finding a lot of full-time jobs and other things that aren't quite what I need. I want a part-time job, preferably during evening hours but that's not a dealbreaker. I've been doing searches for phrases like "help desk," "desktop support," "tech support," etc. and coming up short. I find it hard to believe that in my very IT-heavy region of the US that there aren't at least a few part-time jobs open somewhere. Maybe they're just really competitive and fill up fast? If so, how should I set up an alert to find jobs quickly?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I had an interview with a small company I easy applied to on Indeed on Thursday. During the interview I asked how many interviewees there were. The interviewer told me of the ~120 applications she received for the listing, she only looked through around half of them. From there she picked just 10 people to interview. Internally I started thinking about how that compares to other companies I have applied to.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird question but I interviewed with a third party recruiter regarding a position that I want. I noticed the company also has the posting listed. Should I apply via that way as well?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Weird question but I interviewed with a third party recruiter regarding a position that I want. I noticed the company also has the posting listed. Should I apply via that way as well?
If you have already went through the submission process with the recruiter for the position, I highly suggest not submitting through the company as well. It will not double your sucess and if anything, might make it back to the recruiter.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have already went through the submission process with the recruiter for the position, I highly suggest not submitting through the company as well. It will not double your sucess and if anything, might make it back to the recruiter.

The problem is im not sure if it was submitted, nor did i get some sort of confirmation. Im atill trying to determine when i should follow up with the recruiter

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I had an interview with a small company I easy applied to on Indeed on Thursday. During the interview I asked how many interviewees there were. The interviewer told me of the ~120 applications she received for the listing, she only looked through around half of them. From there she picked just 10 people to interview. Internally I started thinking about how that compares to other companies I have applied to.

Unfortunately it s a numbers game:

You apply to 100 jobs
10 call you back
5 face to face interviews.

The rest gets lost in a black hole. It really sucks. I've been employed for 4 years straight, but I always pop in this thread, because I feel everyone pain. The journey takes everything out of you
Optimism
Nervousness
Desperation
Agony
Elation.

I wish you all the best. I will always offer advise as I know it best.

Oct 28, 2017
I recently quit my full-time job to go back to school for a bachelor's degree

Dear god, do I feel like I messed up

Goodbye 28k a year, goodbye 401k, and most importantly goodbye health insurance

I'm scared y'all and this thread ain't helping

Doordash and ebay can only help me so much

Mayyhem

Mar 5, 2018
I've been working in Talent Acquisition for 5 years, more specifically technical recruitment.

I know how frustrating the job search can be and I'd love to help answer any questions you lot might have about this side of things.

My own general advice has probably been echoed many times before, but here it goes (disclaimer; this was typed on my phone):

- Keep a spreadsheet and track your applications. This means Job Posting/Description, Date Applied, Resume/Cover Letter used, etc - try and track as much as you can

- The above will help when you get a call out of the blue and forgot which role this was, which resume/CL you used, etc

- Don't stress about making it look fancy, most recruiters I know love a clean, simple and straight to the point resume

- If you are currently working or were recently, open your resume with this. Especially if it pertains to the role you are applying for. Avoid having things like objectives, skills, education come before the bread and butter (your experiences)

- its always nice to mention specific, quantifiable achievements and not just responsibilities

- keep your cover letters short and sweet. Talk about your interest in the role, your backround and achievements as it pertains to what skills they are looking for, and for brownie points throw in something the company is doing/stands for as you wrap up with your sincere interest in joining

- add your LinkedIn profile hyperlink to your resume. Create a great LinkedIn profile, have a nice headshot. Flesh out each experience, have a short and intriguing intro and flick on "Open to new opportunitis" in the settings. If you can, get access to the free trial for LinkedIn Premium. This will allow you to send InMails directly to job posters expressing your interest and eagerness (trust me, this works wonders)

- this may go without saying, but do some research if you get a first interview. Sure, check out the website but also dig a bit deeper: maybe some recent news, scope out their LinkedIn page and look at their headcount growth, etc
I assure most interview processes at some stage you will get asked something like "So what do you know about us?" And its fair enough, hiring leaders feel good when a candidate knows and seems excited about what their up to. Also, creep the interviewers LinkedIn page - always good to know their background.

- think about the roles you've held and brainstorm certain examples you think might interest them based on what they are looking for in a candidate. Don't overwhelm yourself with a script, just have certain experiences in mind so that when you are asked a question you know where to pull right away without needing to think much

- talk about yourself, your accomplishments, your contributions - not we, we, we - atleast not the entire time

- a good answer to "so why are you looking?" Is always key. Unfortunately this is where recruiters and hiring managers find or THINK they found red flags. Be honest and come across geniune. Sure you can say no opportunities for advancement, but why? And what does advancement look like for you? Why is it important to you at this point? Just think about how the other person could be thinking based on what you say at this portion of the interview

- dont beat around the bush with compensation. Honestly. Say what you were/are earning and what you would be looking for in a role like this. Straight to it. Come across confident, which you won't if all you say is "well, I havent thought about it much" or "i'm flexible, what are you offering?" Etc

- don't feel pressured to ask questions at the end if you don't have any. If the interview went well, had converational aspects, and went back and forth, then you may not have a list of quesions left to ask and that is fine. If you have interesting and thoughtful questions that have not been answered, then do it. Dont ask just cause you think its better then not asking

- follow up. Within a day. Seriously, sounds obvious but you'd be surprised. Thank them, state how it was a pleasure to learn about ____ and ___
And reaffirm your interest

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I recently quit my full-time job to go back to school for a bachelor's degree

Dear god, do I feel like I messed up

Goodbye 28k a year, goodbye 401k, and most importantly goodbye health insurance

I'm scared y'all and this thread ain't helping

Doordash and ebay can only help me so much
What are you going to get a degree in? Don't worry.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
She shouldn't have told you that.

But I've been in recruitment for 13 years. If you have a lot of applications then expect half to get reviews. Of that half the top 5 are brought in for an interview

Oct 28, 2017
What are you going to get a degree in? Don't worry.

Thanks for the re-assurance, and for asking.

I was originally planning on marketing, but it seems like that degree is sorta useless. A lot of people who work in the field have degrees in other programs, and the curriculum is often outdated by the time you graduate. From what I've read, of course.

Gonna combine my interest in business and computers and try for Management of Information Systems instead. Seems a bit more viable in the job market.

Maybe a double major of the two to make myself more marketable in general.

I have some time to decide. One more semester left after this at community college to get my second associate's (business administration, already have liberal arts degree), and I can transfer 80 credits over to a legit University.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Thanks for the re-assurance, and for asking.

I was originally planning on marketing, but it seems like that degree is sorta useless. A lot of people who work in the field have degrees in other programs, and the curriculum is often outdated by the time you graduate. From what I've read, of course.

Gonna combine my interest in business and computers and try for Management of Information Systems instead. Seems a bit more viable in the job market.

Maybe a double major of the two to make myself more marketable in general.

I have some time to decide. One more semester left after this at community college to get my second associate's (business administration, already have liberal arts degree), and I can transfer 80 credits over to a legit University.
Are you working while going for your degree? How old are you, if you don't mind me asking

Oct 28, 2017
Are you working while going for your degree? How old are you, if you don't mind me asking

I'm 27. I'm half-decent at flipping things on ebay, and I've been doing Doordash deliveries in my spare time. Will pick up something part time if I need to.

Just happy to be away from my needle bin changing job at the hospital, quite frankly. It was really starting to eat away at me. This ultimately felt like a "now or never" decision. I'd really rather not be blue-collar my whole life.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I'm 27. I'm half-decent at flipping things on ebay, and I've been doing Doordash deliveries in my spare time. Will pick up something part time if I need to.

Just happy to be away from my needle bin changing job at the hospital, quite frankly. It was really starting to eat away at me. This ultimately felt like a "now or never" decision. I'd really rather not be blue-collar my whole life.
I definitely think you made the right move. Any time you realize that you can get more out of life is a good thing. I think things will work out for you. I am working full-time and going for my M.S so I know what's it's like - sometimes it can really suck but as long as you always remember why you're doing it, you won't be wrong.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm free, lads. After 2 years if not more of constant searching and applying. I got a full time gig that I'm super excited about in my career field. So long retail hell! Keep at it y'all, don't ever give up!

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I've been working in Talent Acquisition for 5 years, more specifically technical recruitment.

I know how frustrating the job search can be and I'd love to help answer any questions you lot might have about this side of things.

My own general advice has probably been echoed many times before, but here it goes (disclaimer; this was typed on my phone):

- Keep a spreadsheet and track your applications. This means Job Posting/Description, Date Applied, Resume/Cover Letter used, etc - try and track as much as you can

- The above will help when you get a call out of the blue and forgot which role this was, which resume/CL you used, etc

- Don't stress about making it look fancy, most recruiters I know love a clean, simple and straight to the point resume

- If you are currently working or were recently, open your resume with this. Especially if it pertains to the role you are applying for. Avoid having things like objectives, skills, education come before the bread and butter (your experiences)

- its always nice to mention specific, quantifiable achievements and not just responsibilities

- keep your cover letters short and sweet. Talk about your interest in the role, your backround and achievements as it pertains to what skills they are looking for, and for brownie points throw in something the company is doing/stands for as you wrap up with your sincere interest in joining

- add your LinkedIn profile hyperlink to your resume. Create a great LinkedIn profile, have a nice headshot. Flesh out each experience, have a short and intriguing intro and flick on "Open to new opportunitis" in the settings. If you can, get access to the free trial for LinkedIn Premium. This will allow you to send InMails directly to job posters expressing your interest and eagerness (trust me, this works wonders)

- this may go without saying, but do some research if you get a first interview. Sure, check out the website but also dig a bit deeper: maybe some recent news, scope out their LinkedIn page and look at their headcount growth, etc
I assure most interview processes at some stage you will get asked something like "So what do you know about us?" And its fair enough, hiring leaders feel good when a candidate knows and seems excited about what their up to. Also, creep the interviewers LinkedIn page - always good to know their background.

- think about the roles you've held and brainstorm certain examples you think might interest them based on what they are looking for in a candidate. Don't overwhelm yourself with a script, just have certain experiences in mind so that when you are asked a question you know where to pull right away without needing to think much

- talk about yourself, your accomplishments, your contributions - not we, we, we - atleast not the entire time

- a good answer to "so why are you looking?" Is always key. Unfortunately this is where recruiters and hiring managers find or THINK they found red flags. Be honest and come across geniune. Sure you can say no opportunities for advancement, but why? And what does advancement look like for you? Why is it important to you at this point? Just think about how the other person could be thinking based on what you say at this portion of the interview

- dont beat around the bush with compensation. Honestly. Say what you were/are earning and what you would be looking for in a role like this. Straight to it. Come across confident, which you won't if all you say is "well, I havent thought about it much" or "i'm flexible, what are you offering?" Etc

- don't feel pressured to ask questions at the end if you don't have any. If the interview went well, had converational aspects, and went back and forth, then you may not have a list of quesions left to ask and that is fine. If you have interesting and thoughtful questions that have not been answered, then do it. Dont ask just cause you think its better then not asking

- follow up. Within a day. Seriously, sounds obvious but you'd be surprised. Thank them, state how it was a pleasure to learn about ____ and ___
And reaffirm your interest

These are great tips, should be of help for this thread!

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I could really use some advice, as I feel like I'm still making the same mistakes I've made before in addition to hesitating on other things.

There's lots of job-related things that are plaguing me, so I'll do my best to condense them:

1. I only use Indeed and Glassdoor. Don't trust any other sources.
2. I only stick to the Easy Apply options
3. I don't write Cover Letters, partly out of laziness and because I don't know if it's better to write a generic CL or one that is tailor-made for the job. I've heard a lot of different opinions about them so I don't know which to follow.
4. I'm receiving unemployment payments, which has admittedly made me more lax about finding a new job. If nothing else, if I do get a new job during this time then the payments will stop. Wouldn't it make more sense to only accept jobs that pay more than what I get from unemployment?
5. I also wanted to stick to Help Desk/other IT-related jobs so that I could get my foot in the door sooner rather than later. If I'm accepting a job that has nothing to do with IT, then it wouldn't benefit me in the long run, would it?

I don't know what my best course of action is, but I'm not going to get anywhere just easy applying to a few jobs every few weeks just to get the unemployment checks. I keep hearing that the job market is supposedly the best it's ever been, but I'm not seeing anything noteworthy.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any IT certs? Work on those to get in the door.

MAKE COVER LETTERS FOR EACH JOB.

You don't have to go completely uniform on them but you need to fill in the areas for specific functions of the job. Use the keywords they use in their posting to get past filters but also be truthful dont lie about experience. Just do your best to make the experience you do have relevant with the experience they are looking for.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you have any IT certs? Work on those to get in the door.

MAKE COVER LETTERS FOR EACH JOB.

You don't have to go completely uniform on them but you need to fill in the areas for specific functions of the job. Use the keywords they use in their posting to get past filters but also be truthful dont lie about experience. Just do your best to make the experience you do have relevant with the experience they are looking for.

I really need some examples of what a good CL should look like. Again, I've heard lots of different opinions, including a recent one that claims your CL should be no more than two sentences or so. How do I make a CL that's to the point and not overly wordy that the recruiter wouldn't bother reading it?

As for the IT certs, I'm technically eligible to take the A+ exam but I don't know how much I should study in order to be "ready" for it. That's more of a personal issue, honestly, but I don't know how I can feel fully prepared and confident for it.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really need some examples of what a good CL should look like. Again, I've heard lots of different opinions, including a recent one that claims your CL should be no more than two sentences or so. How do I make a CL that's to the point and not overly wordy that the recruiter wouldn't bother reading it?

As for the IT certs, I'm technically eligible to take the A+ exam but I don't know how much I should study in order to be "ready" for it. That's more of a personal issue, honestly, but I don't know how I can feel fully prepared and confident for it.

Go to Udemy. Im currently in ITish but Im going through now and getting my certs never know when you might need to jump ship. Online classes and practice test for it are super cheap there.

Its been a while since I had to do my resume but i had experience of my last three jobs that were relevant to the job I was applying... in each one I gave dates of my employment and my final title. Under each of those I had responsibilities. I also had my name and contact info at the top and on the right side I think I had references and achievements.

Really tho you want to nail home your experience and the kind of stuff you had to do or achieve that is relevant to the job you are applying.

Get your certs.... they arent always needed but if youre just starting out a career in IT they will definitely help you out.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I left my job as a software developer last month and I've had the hardest time finding a new one. It seems that my flexibility and my willingness to learn new technologies/languages is a hindrance. Everyone wants 5+ years with the same exact technology stack.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Go to Udemy. Im currently in ITish but Im going through now and getting my certs never know when you might need to jump ship. Online classes and practice test for it are super cheap there.

Its been a while since I had to do my resume but i had experience of my last three jobs that were relevant to the job I was applying... in each one I gave dates of my employment and my final title. Under each of those I had responsibilities. I also had my name and contact info at the top and on the right side I think I had references and achievements.

Really tho you want to nail home your experience and the kind of stuff you had to do or achieve that is relevant to the job you are applying.

Get your certs.... they arent always needed but if youre just starting out a career in IT they will definitely help you out.

That's kind of my big problem...my job history is somewhat inconsistent and they don't all play off each other.

Unless the idea is that I find a way to sell myself by finding a common link to them ("this job taught me the diligence for this next job, which in turn gave me better writing skills that benefited this next job...")

As for Udemy is there solely a practice exam for A+ that's available? I already have lots of studying material, I would just like to take something that is 100% accurate to the actual exams.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of my big problem...my job history is somewhat inconsistent and they don't all play off each other.

Unless the idea is that I find a way to sell myself by finding a common link to them ("this job taught me the diligence for this next job, which in turn gave me better writing skills that benefited this next job...")

As for Udemy is there solely a practice exam for A+ that's available? I already have lots of studying material, I would just like to take something that is 100% accurate to the actual exams.

I worked at Walmart before I had a theatre gig as a projectionist and then what I am now a field tech for theatre projection equipment.

Im pretty sure I had the Walmart gig on there but it was Supervisor of the Deli and I tailored what I did in that role to the job I was applying for field tech... So instead of saying I managed all the employees or increased my sales I said things like helped troubleshoot issues with the fryers or other deli equipment, assisted with training employees on POS equipment and software.

You just gotta be creative... but also truthful.

Oct 28, 2017
I definitely think you made the right move. Any time you realize that you can get more out of life is a good thing. I think things will work out for you. I am working full-time and going for my M.S so I know what's it's like - sometimes it can really suck but as long as you always remember why you're doing it, you won't be wrong.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I wish I could've juggled both work and school but my schedule and responsibilities outside of work/school simply didn't make that very convenient. Hats off to you though, that's super admirable. Best of luck to us both, eh?

Kost2coast

Oct 27, 2017
So I had a phone interview on Friday, and I have an In-Person interview with the hiring manager in little over 15 minutes. How well are my chances if they're asking for a 2nd interview? This is a possible life changing job in terms of pay and job growth so I'm trying to be my normal self.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So I had a phone interview on Friday, and I have an In-Person interview with the hiring manager in little over 15 minutes. How well are my chances if they're asking for a 2nd interview? This is a possible life changing job in terms of pay and job growth so I'm trying to be my normal self.
Pretty good. It means you've made it past the first screen.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
LinkedIn is bigger than all the other job sites combined. Why don't you trust it?

I mean if you're struggling but making the decision to cut out the largest site...

What qualifications do you have?

For LinkedIn, I just have no idea how to use it properly.

Just treat it like any other job searching site? Find people who are connected to my fields of interest and send them blind friend requests?

I'll gladly share my profile if anyone can give tips on how to refine it so that I appear more desirable (for jobs).

Oct 27, 2017
For LinkedIn, I just have no idea how to use it properly.

Just treat it like any other job searching site? Find people who are connected to my fields of interest and send them blind friend requests?

Companies advertise their jobs on LinkedIn. You can apply for stuff directly without making any connections with anyone. If you set up a profile and add a job title and skills then they'll figure out what ads to push towards you, or recruiters might start contacting you directly. There's even a specific LinkedIn job search app on Android at least (and I presume iPhone too but I don't have an iPhone).

It's free so worst case scenario you lose an hour of your life setting it up.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do people not know that the federal government hires a lot of people and it pays well

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well that went better than expected. The "Do you have any questions?" question feels like a trick question the 2nd time you hear it. Just hope I hear something positive.
Some people recommend asking if they have any reasons they wouldn't want to move forward with you. I personally like to ask what they're looking for in an ideal candidate, which is basically the same thing, but I feel like it had a more positive tone and has them mentally match you with positives instead of reminding them about your shortcomings. There's also asking about what they personally enjoy about working at that company, and if you've done some research on them on LinkedIn, you can ask them specific things to get them to talk about themselves and open up to you.

Kost2coast

Oct 27, 2017
Some people recommend asking if they have any reasons they wouldn't want to move forward with you. I personally like to ask what they're looking for in an ideal candidate, which is basically the same thing, but I feel like it had a more positive tone and has them mentally match you with positives instead of reminding them about your shortcomings. There's also asking about what they personally enjoy about working at that company, and if you've done some research on them on LinkedIn, you can ask them specific things to get them to talk about themselves and open up to you.

That does seem like a good thing to ask. I think I went the route of how my job parallels to the one they're trying to hire for. Since it's customer/client service heavy, I was asked if I calmed angry callers and what not. It was pretty good all things considered. I just hope I conveyed myself and my abilities enough vs someone who has a degree with no experience.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I got zero hits from Indeed or Glassdoor. The former was all bots if I did get anything.

All of interviews and the new company I'm going to, came from LinkedIn.

My LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/primoman/

I'll gladly take any advice on how to improve it. Still could use some good CL examples too.

1. Change your background from the stock. It might sound silly, but something as small as that shows that you've taken some extra time to prepare your profile.
2. Under your name you need to place keywords that align with the industry you're interested in. So for IT it could be like this: Windows | Active Directory | Powershell etc. This gets your profile on the recruiters radar who filter profiles by keywords.
3. Expand your introduction. You're selling yourself here and indirectly talking to any recruiters who come across your profile.
4. You should change what your job title is (Digital Court Reporter). From the description that you have, it sounds like IT work, but that title doesn't align (imo). Again, I'm coming at it from a recruiters perspective. You want to grab their attention.

My profile is listed as "All-Star" on LinkedIn fwiw, which seems to be the highest level

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/linkedin-all-star-status-rocks-how-reach-7-steps-lisa-k-mcdonald/ and some more advice https://www.themuse.com/advice/alls...o-get-contactedheres-how-to-score-that-rating

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018
So... are there any software engineers here? Software developers? Video Gaming developers/programmers? Coders? Wanna give me a little help/tips on my current situation?

I'm not too sure if this thread will help me out or give me tips on my career choices. Hopefully it does because I can't even make my own threads.

Anyways, I'm basically a college drop out atm. 22 years old, and was in my community college for almost 2 years and just left this semester because I wasn't confident going back at all especially failing a class (astronomy) and not able to chase my dream to be a professional footballer (soccer player) here in the US. I can't join the college team simply because I have an F in my transcript now. I'm still chasing that dream atm... I believe I have the talent for it, but it's very difficult to reach that path especially here in the US with barely any opportunities. Only choice is to join team tryouts for several MLS teams or join scouting tryouts for possibly joining small clubs over in EU. Or maybe visit Mexico if I have a chance.

Anyways... since after graduating high school, i'm still undecided on my "back up" career if I fail to reach the professional level in football. I was basically undecided in college after all these years and had no plans for a back up career. Right now in my current life, I only work as a part time prep boy in my local restaurant for just 3 days (Fridays-Sundays). I've though about becoming a chef, but it seems that the career is just too stressful, very low pay, too much overtime, and working on holidays too. Especially that moment when you work really hard on cooking yet your severs/bussers/host are making more $$$$$ on tips than you and they are working way less... made my chefs mad sometimes too. Average pay for line chefs is just $11-$18 per hour from research and my chefs have told me plus no tips too... yet my severs can make more $$$ with tons of tips. I only make $11 atm.

After a few months of researching on careers, I discovered software engineering, web development, and the one of the most interesting, video game development and programmer.

I've noticed how there are many gaming developers and software engineers here from reading comments and it makes me wanna ask so many questions like, what's it like to be a software developer or a gaming programmer/designer? Tbh, I was thinking perusing this career but sadly, my college didn't have the tools/classes for me to be involved in the career so that's another reason I've dropped out.

Like... what's it like to be a video gaming programmer? Software engineer? Coder? What are the benefits from your current or last job? Is the career fun? Boring? A but frustrating? How's the pay? How's the work environment?

Where did you begin? Did you go through school? Self taught? Coding boot camps? I've watched several videos about these careers and it seems fascinating but I wanna know more behind the scenes.

I'm really interested in becoming a developer for software or working in the video game industry but i've read/heard a lot of negative comments/stories in working in the gaming industry too... but it seems awesome too.

I've also just started learning Python and JavaScript in my own for a head start too and so far it's very interesting. But I will like to know more from you guys. If I've fully decided to become a programmer on any industry including the video game industry, what tips will you give me? How difficult is it to find a job in the field? Where do I begin although I just started learning Python and JavaScript? Is self taught a safe path to get a decent job in the future? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So... are there any software engineers here? Software developers? Video Gaming developers/programmers? Coders? Wanna give me a little help/tips on my current situation?

I'm not too sure if this thread will help me out or give me tips on my career choices. Hopefully it does because I can't even make my own threads.

Anyways, I'm basically a college drop out atm. 22 years old, and was in my community college for almost 2 years and just left this semester because I wasn't confident going back at all especially failing a class (astronomy) and not able to chase my dream to be a professional footballer (soccer player) here in the US. I can't join the college team simply because I have an F in my transcript now. I'm still chasing that dream atm... I believe I have the talent for it, but it's very difficult to reach that path especially here in the US with barely any opportunities. Only choice is to join team tryouts for several MLS teams or join scouting tryouts for possibly joining small clubs over in EU. Or maybe visit Mexico if I have a chance.

Anyways... since after graduating high school, i'm still undecided on my "back up" career if I fail to reach the professional level in football. I was basically undecided in college after all these years and had no plans for a back up career. Right now in my current life, I only work as a part time prep boy in my local restaurant for just 3 days (Fridays-Sundays). I've though about becoming a chef, but it seems that the career is just too stressful, very low pay, too much overtime, and working on holidays too. Especially that moment when you work really hard on cooking yet your severs/bussers/host are making more $$$$$ on tips than you and they are working way less... made my chefs mad sometimes too. Average pay for line chefs is just $11-$18 per hour from research and my chefs have told me plus no tips too... yet my severs can make more $$$ with tons of tips. I only make $11 atm.

After a few months of researching on careers, I discovered software engineering, web development, and the one of the most interesting, video game development and programmer.

I've noticed how there are many gaming developers and software engineers here from reading comments and it makes me wanna ask so many questions like, what's it like to be a software developer or a gaming programmer/designer? Tbh, I was thinking perusing this career but sadly, my college didn't have the tools/classes for me to be involved in the career so that's another reason I've dropped out.

Like... what's it like to be a video gaming programmer? Software engineer? Coder? What are the benefits from your current or last job? Is the career fun? Boring? A but frustrating? How's the pay? How's the work environment?

Where did you begin? Did you go through school? Self taught? Coding boot camps? I've watched several videos about these careers and it seems fascinating but I wanna know more behind the scenes.

I'm really interested in becoming a developer for software or working in the video game industry but i've read/heard a lot of negative comments/stories in working in the gaming industry too... but it seems awesome too.

I've also just started learning Python and JavaScript in my own for a head start too and so far it's very interesting. But I will like to know more from you guys. If I've fully decided to become a programmer on any industry including the video game industry, what tips will you give me? How difficult is it to find a job in the field? Where do I begin although I just started learning Python and JavaScript? Is self taught a safe path to get a decent job in the future? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Every single time I've inquired about a job in the video game industry the most common response is usually "don't".

I don't mean to dissuade you, it's just that I've comstsnty read examples making it sound like a nightmare career.

Jul 26, 2018
Every single time I've inquired about a job in the video game industry the most common response is usually "don't".

I don't mean to dissuade you, it's just that I've comstsnty read examples making it sound like a nightmare career.
Same tbh.... have you heard of any stories? Some of the stories i've heard are crazy.

A lot seemed to complain about having overtime but i'm so used to that... I've worked over 12 hours on my local restaurant and sadly, this is almost common for chefs.. tons of overtime.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
After getting laid off in late 2016 (oil crash) and working contract part time for a small shop for the last year and a half, I finally got a job offer. I didn't want to post in here and jinx it, but I interviewed last Friday, second round interviewed on Wednesday, and got an offer in my inbox this morning. The crash has been a nightmare for a relatively fresh (sub 5 years' experience) petroleum engineer at sub $60 oil. Every job posting on linkedin for entry level positions would have hundreds of applicants, and nobody was responding to my resume at all. Like screaming into the void. It's been a stressful two years, with my savings creeping ever downward with each mortgage payment. It feels good to have finally been picked up... for a good while there I was feeling pretty worthless.
Now I can replace that anxiety with the new anxiety of being the only engineer in the new company I'm joining.

Reading through everyone else's stories gave me the will to keep shoving my resume into the digital paper shredder, and helped me feel less alone, despite that I was only lurking. I wish everyone currently searching the best of luck, and appreciate the ad hoc support group that you guys have formed.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got zero hits from Indeed or Glassdoor. The former was all bots if I did get anything.

All of interviews and the new company I'm going to, came from LinkedIn.

1. Change your background from the stock. It might sound silly, but something as small as that shows that you've taken some extra time to prepare your profile.
2. Under your name you need to place keywords that align with the industry you're interested in. So for IT it could be like this: Windows | Active Directory | Powershell etc. This gets your profile on the recruiters radar who filter profiles by keywords.
3. Expand your introduction. You're selling yourself here and indirectly talking to any recruiters who come across your profile.
4. You should change what your job title is (Digital Court Reporter). From the description that you have, it sounds like IT work, but that title doesn't align (imo). Again, I'm coming at it from a recruiters perspective. You want to grab their attention.

My profile is listed as "All-Star" on LinkedIn fwiw, which seems to be the highest level

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/linkedin-all-star-status-rocks-how-reach-7-steps-lisa-k-mcdonald/ and some more advice https://www.themuse.com/advice/alls...o-get-contactedheres-how-to-score-that-rating

Made changes based on your suggestions: https://www.linkedin.com/in/primoman/

Let me know of any further revisions I should add, thanks.

And once more, if anyone has examples of good CLs please share them.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
So many rejections this week. Becoming callused against the word no.

Last day on current job was today so I'm going to be up against it soon. Wish me luck.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Made changes based on your suggestions: https://www.linkedin.com/in/primoman/

Let me know of any further revisions I should add, thanks.

And once more, if anyone has examples of good CLs please share them.

Looks better!

One small thing. You have one too many | in your skills description. I took them out for you:
| IT Support+Security | Writer+Reviewer | Videogame Journalist | Windows+Mac+Outlook+Office| Customer Service |

Also consider singing up for LinkedIn Premium. I believe it's free for the first month but you get much more insight from companies such as the number of applicants, the type of people that are applying, hiring trends etc. You also get 5 mail credits a month that you can use to contact recruiters directly.

Main thing is don't be shy. You don't have anything to lose. If you think reaching out to a recruiter on LI is beneficial than do it. A simple message stating you're interested in the role xyz, would i be a good fit based on my resume etc etc. What's the worst that can happen? They don't respond. Oh well. Keep it moving and on to the next one for you as well.

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had 2 interviews on Thursday. one of them mid interview was like you know I like you more as a consultant for a different role than this role and gave me her card.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I have the names, titles, and contact information of my three references. I cannot apply for positions until get letters from them as well. It is kind of ridiculous.