• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
I am a recent college grad, did an internship during my final semester. During this internship I formed a close bond with one of the employees. After I graduated he asked me to help him with a separate sales/marketing project. It's done remotely, and I am not paid. It's relevant to my field, and I have no other job right now. I am calling it volunteer experience on my resume, but I'm unsure if this is deterring hiring managers from contacting me. Is there another way to phrase this position? I will say I've already had 2 interviews where this hasn't really been an issue. They've just wondered why I took a volunteer position out of college.

I don't think this side project is an issue. Employers should see this as you working to develop better job skills. Maybe put in a line on your cover letter saying your currently working on XYZ project to develop an improved understanding of current marketing practices or something.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Try sending them an email after a week.

Here's what I said to make it sound less desperate and more enthusiastic.

"I really enjoyed meeting you last week, and wanted to emphasize just how excited I am about this opportunity. Is there anything else I can forward along to make your hiring decision easier?"

When did you get the call after you sent the email?

I did earlier today since the interview was last Thursday. Wrote it similarly to yours. Sucky part is my point of contact was their company's recruiter so not sure how much he can help but hopefully can provide some insight. My hope is since there are so many positions available they're doing everything by bulk. My last job did it this way even though someone was guaranteed a spot weeks earlier.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
When did you get the call after you sent the email?

I did earlier today since the interview was last Thursday. Wrote it similarly to yours. Sucky part is my point of contact was their company's recruiter so not sure how much he can help but hopefully can provide some insight. My hope is since there are so many positions available they're doing everything by bulk. My last job did it this way even though someone was guaranteed a spot weeks earlier.

I sent the email a week after our interview, and got an email reply later that day for another interview.

One of the things they said that really impressed them is how enthusiastic I was for the job. During my first interview, it was on phone, and it was July 2nd. They asked when I could come in for an interview, and I told them I could come in the very same day to interview. Cause they didn't know if they had people free the next day, and after that was July 4th, so I didn't want to wait. Plus, I also had a separate interview with another company on the 3rd, so me coming in the same day after the phone interview was also a bit of dumb luck on my part.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I agree OP. And I don't even have it bad, I declined two job offers and might decline a third.
Don't know what it is. I'm probably a bloody idiot.
Just so tired of shit.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sent the email a week after our interview, and got an email reply later that day for another interview.

One of the things they said that really impressed them is how enthusiastic I was for the job. During my first interview, it was on phone, and it was July 2nd. They asked when I could come in for an interview, and I told them I could come in the very same day to interview. Cause they didn't know if they had people free the next day, and after that was July 4th, so I didn't want to wait. Plus, I also had a separate interview with another company on the 3rd, so me coming in the same day after the phone interview was also a bit of dumb luck on my part.

Nice. My 2nd interview was with the hiring manger for the department. Got the email for the 3rd and 4th interview the next day. But these people were just heads of other departments to learn about how this position would interact with theirs. It honestly felt more like a meet and greet then an interview. Which is why i felt like i had it in the bag. I've been on the management side before so i can understand the delays especially with so many middle men and dealing with offices in different states on top of their work load.

Just haven't been waiting for a call back this bad in 6+ years. Anxiety threw the roof.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any experience with these corporate events where they bring a group of people before you graduate?

I got invited to one (although I feel duped because they are looking for IT people), but I really don't know what to expect... particularly since it's scheduled for 3 hours. Apparently they are going to have executives speak to try to sell the company, but what else do they do? Interview you on the spot?

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Have a skype interview on Monday and so much is riding on this that just getting through this weekend is excruciating :(. My current employer is absolutely diabolical and I need to get out of there asap for my mental health's sake. Imagine a place where every morning there's a chance that you find a desk empty and then you hear that somebody was randomly fired and they pretend that person was never there. This has happened three times now. In four months. Also the company keeps security cameras everywhere including where we have lunch and we know they spy on everyone and every day is just miserable. Everyone wants to get out asap (I don't think this company will last long if they keep this up).

At the same time my boyfriend of six years broke up with me completely out of the blue which has also emotionally crippled me and now I need to move out. I need a stable job to get my own apartment so I really, really need to get a new job. This job. Please.

I'm so scared that I need this job SO much that I'm gonna be extra nervous during the interview and fuck everything up. Ughhh. I've never done a Skype interview before so if anyone has any pointers, I'd love to hear them. Of course I'm gonna google a lot of stuff too.

Last edited:

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I only did a Skype interview with a recruiter (versus the company that would hire me) but I would make sure you havd their Skype details correct, your internet/the internet you will use is stable (maybe do a test run), pick a place to sit with little to no distractions in the background (ex: no roommates, TV, posters, dishwasher), and even if you only want to dress your top half nice, go ahead and wear pants still. Apparently, some people do not and I do not think the risk is worth it.

Oct 25, 2017
I like my name, but I suspect my applications are being thrown in the trash because of it. It is easy to pronounce, but very uncommon. My teacher was always going on about how I should easily find a job in the tech field because of my skills, but I rarely get called back. I resisted changing my name for a while because I feel I shouldn't have to, but I really want a new job. Something in my field for once.

I am wondering if I should use my initials or make up a new first name when I apply. I'd rather be called by my last name which is why I wanted to go with initials, but I feel it looks weird just putting in a letter when I fill out the First Name box on online applications.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Please send some good vibes my way! I'm currently employed but my management job is becoming more un-manageable by the day. I had a rather absurd week two weeks ago (hasn't gotten much better) where at the end of the night on the Friday before last, I went on indeed.com and applied for a couple of positions. I was delighted to get a phone call that Monday and we set up an interview on that Thursday. The interview seemed to go well, an area manager and the store manager tag-teamed me for what turned out to be 52 minutes. I got a call this Tuesday from their HR manager where she asked me either what my salary requirements were or what I currently make (I was at work, distracted, so I don't remember the precise question for sure). She said she'd get right back with me but hasn't.

I doubt I priced myself out of the position but she hasn't "gotten right back." I do know the day after the salary phone call, the posting was removed from indeed. On the company website (taleo) it shows the position hasn't been filled yet but that something about my profile was updated on their end on July 18 (the day after the salary call):

Job Status: Active (Accepting Job Submissions)
Submission Status:
Completed
– Updated: Jul 18, 2018

I googled up and down for any hints and seems like there's nothing solid to glean from it. It was such a brief call and I failed to get/remember the HR person's name. I suppose I'll wait until Tuesday or Wednesday to try to follow up, from what I've read a week is a good timeframe, that way I won't sound desperate or uninterested. In the mean time if anyone has any pointers or advice, I'm all ears. I've decided the way my current company is acting, I need to try something different pronto.

Last edited:

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
I only did a Skype interview with a recruiter (versus the company that would hire me) but I would make sure you havd their Skype details correct, your internet/the internet you will use is stable (maybe do a test run), pick a place to sit with little to no distractions in the background (ex: no roommates, TV, posters, dishwasher), and even if you only want to dress your top half nice, go ahead and wear pants still. Apparently, some people do not and I do not think the risk is worth it.
Thanks, I should have those bases covered :D. Think I'll even put shoes on just to make it feel more official...

Nervous but excited at the same time for the interview today.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
two weeks ago a company reached out to me about a position. I stated i would be interested. 4 interviews later they tell me this morning they picked a different candidate.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Been looking for a new job since as it's gone to shit in my current job.

Had about 4 interviews (About 50% hit rate on getting interviews). The first interview afterwards I was really confident and they ghosted me. 2nd Interview They didn't offer role but I wasn't too keen on it myself. 3rd interview went really well and I had some assessments, it was down to me and another guy and I just missed out... gutted about that one it was a great job.

Anyway a job I applied for at the beginning of May asked me to complete 2 assessments out of the blue last week which I passed. Now I've got a telephone interview in 30 mins, likely a face to face interview if I get past the telephone interview I would think, finger crossed cos this one sounds good too.

But the whole process is really draining me.... hope I get a new job soon :(

Oct 28, 2017
I had a final in-person interview yesterday. I feel great about it. I got to meet the entire team and got a tour of the company building. I should hear something back by the end of the week.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
I've been dealing with someone close to me who is in this situation. I'm chalking it up to nerves of starting somewhere new though but maybe someone can give their two cents?

The person is working for a company in healthcare, works in a great location in the city - quiet area, park and lake, great stores around, work-life balance is great, and the health insurance price is amazing too. For just the sake of the discussion, let's say this person earns $59k. She decides she wants to leave because of bad management and a hostile work environment. The position is deals with the same mundane thing over and over in her field.

Another company (a bank) reached out to her, opposite side of the area (commute is zero issue). For the sake of the discussion, the person is offered $71k, but hears that work life balance is mixed (but seems to be less work life balance there) and health insurance is a bit more pricey. The area is not as "beautiful" as the one she is in now, just surrounded by tall buildings in downtown. The position in this one is more varied, and presents opportunities to build her skills even further in the field.

She is now nervous about starting the new place as she has put in her two weeks notice but her current employers (all her managers) beg for her to stay because she's amazing at what she does and if there was anything they can do to convince her to stay (which she made no response) and offered to give her job back if she did not like her new place. Now it just seems everyone has been nice to her and she's noticed a larger sense of community in the workplace (posters and events going on). Also, she loves the building and surrounding area but not the company.

She is second guessing about leaving and nervous about it, but I said it is just her nerves getting to her about being somewhere comfortable vs starting somewhere unknown.

Is she just really nervous and got comfortable with her current situation? I'm at a loss at how to approach to answering this.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Got an Interview on Thursday, position would be an enormous step up in pay from my last job. Wish me luck Era.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Got an interview next Wednesday for a company I've wanted to work with for a long time, as a Sales Coordinator.
Not as fancy as a project coordinator but I'll be getting paid 20k more than I was at my previous job..

Just waiting for HR to get back to the team leader.

Hope I get it.
At a location I love as well.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I've got an interview coming up for a job that would be a big promotion from what I'm doing now, and I've written out a huge list of ideas I have for things I think the company should be looking into and improving on. It's well thought out (imo), but also quite long. It's essentially a single spaced page worth of ideas. It could actually take a while to get through it all, and so I'm wondering, is this too much? Would this seem like a positive thing to come in with, or could it be detrimental in that it's just so much content that they weren't prepared for?

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I've got an interview coming up for a job that would be a big promotion from what I'm doing now, and I've written out a huge list of ideas I have for things I think the company should be looking into and improving on. It's well thought out (imo), but also quite long. It's essentially a single spaced page worth of ideas. It could actually take a while to get through it all, and so I'm wondering, is this too much? Would this seem like a positive thing to come in with, or could it be detrimental in that it's just so much content that they weren't prepared for?
I would cherry pick a handfull of your best ideas and maybe try to work them in somewhere in the interview, if they seem interested you could elaborate a little further.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
When it rains it pours. I got a call asking if I was still interested in a position I applied for a few months back. I told him politely that I recently signed a FOL and have an EOD date with another agency.

It kind of suck because I would have stayed in Cali, but it would have been SF. We all know about SF, so maybe I dodge a bullet with that one. lol

Dorothy Gale

Alt-Account
May 25, 2018
I've been dealing with someone close to me who is in this situation. I'm chalking it up to nerves of starting somewhere new though but maybe someone can give their two cents?

The person is working for a company in healthcare, works in a great location in the city - quiet area, park and lake, great stores around, work-life balance is great, and the health insurance price is amazing too. For just the sake of the discussion, let's say this person earns $59k. She decides she wants to leave because of bad management and a hostile work environment. The position is deals with the same mundane thing over and over in her field.

Another company (a bank) reached out to her, opposite side of the area (commute is zero issue). For the sake of the discussion, the person is offered $71k, but hears that work life balance is mixed (but seems to be less work life balance there) and health insurance is a bit more pricey. The area is not as "beautiful" as the one she is in now, just surrounded by tall buildings in downtown. The position in this one is more varied, and presents opportunities to build her skills even further in the field.

She is now nervous about starting the new place as she has put in her two weeks notice but her current employers (all her managers) beg for her to stay because she's amazing at what she does and if there was anything they can do to convince her to stay (which she made no response) and offered to give her job back if she did not like her new place. Now it just seems everyone has been nice to her and she's noticed a larger sense of community in the workplace (posters and events going on). Also, she loves the building and surrounding area but not the company.

She is second guessing about leaving and nervous about it, but I said it is just her nerves getting to her about being somewhere comfortable vs starting somewhere unknown.

Is she just really nervous and got comfortable with her current situation? I'm at a loss at how to approach to answering this.

I would keep applying to more places. The bank doesn't sound to be much of an improvement. I value work/life balance.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds a tad overkill and could even give the impression that you think your company sucks (even more so if it's regarding a company you don't even work for yet). I'd definitely just choose a few and save the rest for after you get the job.

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some guy ask me to submit my portfolio to him, I did and he never responded. I guess I'm email him tomorrow. I told him my rate, he asked for a portfolio I sent it and now I don't know

Baz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Helens
I've got a job interview on Monday. I apply for a lot of jobs because I've really had enough of my current one. The hours are great, the perks are pretty good (a car + fuel) but there's nowhere to progress and the moneys really not very good. Besides my first ever one (which I didn't get because my mum advised me to leave my shirt untucked) when I was 17 (I'm now in my thirties), I've never really had a job interview where I didn't already have the job. It's for a completely different job to mine, although I feel like I have plenty of relevant experience. Any tips?

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone please interpret this feedback:

"If I don't find anyone better, I will definitely consider hiring you."

Oct 28, 2017
Landed a job! I have to relocate and I'm looking forward to it. Lived in the same town for 22 years. It was a really hard process but it paid off. Good luck to everyone searching. Keep your head up, because you'll find something. Just gotta persist.

Oct 25, 2017
BOOM! Just got an offer letter from the job I interviewed in person for a couple weeks ago. It's about a 35% increase in pay, plus benefits (which I didn't have before), and has lots of upward momentum when it comes to advancement and salary. Feels like a weight is off my shoulders. I get to give my 2 weeks on Monday and I couldn't be happier.

Landed a job! I have to relocate and I'm looking forward to it. Lived in the same town for 22 years. It was a really hard process but it paid off. Good luck to everyone searching. Keep your head up, because you'll find something. Just gotta persist.

Congrats on the offer!!

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
FFFFFFUUUUUUCK.

I had my interview today which I think went really well, and they sent me an online assessment afterwards so I guess I made it to the next step.

But i don't think I did as well with the assessment!
STUPID ASS PSYCHOMETRIC TESTING

Tlaloc

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Updating my resume and throwing applications but had a question. I've read different articles about how objectives on resumes are outdated and should not be used. Instead career statements should be used. Just wondering what the consensus was here. Should I strip my objective out and replace it with a career statement?

Dorothy Gale

Alt-Account
May 25, 2018
BOOM! Just got an offer letter from the job I interviewed in person for a couple weeks ago. It's about a 35% increase in pay, plus benefits (which I didn't have before), and has lots of upward momentum when it comes to advancement and salary. Feels like a weight is off my shoulders. I get to give my 2 weeks on Monday and I couldn't be happier.

Congrats on the offer!!

What benefits? Where to?

Oct 25, 2017
What benefits? Where to?

Going to be starting out doing customer service at a software company - they're self-aware that no one wants to be in customer service forever, so they focus on moving everybody out of the team and into other branches of the company within a year or two.

Solid medical/dental/vision benefits, three times more PTO than I have now, and paid parental leave (which we may need soon since we're planning on starting a family).

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
My contract of two years is coming to an end this month after I got the "Good but not good enough" verdict on the interview for the replacement post in the same company. Back on the job hunt again and I hate having to do online forms where every single part takes forever to fill out. Fun times.

Dorothy Gale

Alt-Account
May 25, 2018
Going to be starting out doing customer service at a software company - they're self-aware that no one wants to be in customer service forever, so they focus on moving everybody out of the team and into other branches of the company within a year or two.

Solid medical/dental/vision benefits, three times more PTO than I have now, and paid parental leave (which we may need soon since we're planning on starting a family).

I want more PTO.

I got 10 days per year.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Updating my resume and throwing applications but had a question. I've read different articles about how objectives on resumes are outdated and should not be used. Instead career statements should be used. Just wondering what the consensus was here. Should I strip my objective out and replace it with a career statement?
I use neither.

Oct 25, 2017
I want more PTO.

I got 10 days per year.

I totally hear you there. When my current job got converted to hourly instead of salary, I was only allotted 5 PTO days per calendar year. Yes, that's sick and vacation time rolled up into the five. Far and away the worst PTO I've ever had, and that's saying something.

Needless to say I took that as all the more reason to leave. I would've lost all of those 5 PTO days from sickness/doctor appointments alone. And I live a couple thousand miles away from extended family so I guess I was supposed to just kiss any chance of visiting them goodbye too.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a first year college student, just had my first CV declined for an internship job in IT. I feel sad since I had high hopes after I had a pre-interview selection (a third party company does it and then send the CVs to the company) and passed it, but they rejected me not even wanting to interview me. Fuck. Hope it doesn't become a trend to get rejected.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Haee, take heart. You'll get far more rejections than interview offers at first - don't let it take you down. Think of it this way - being in first year, you don't have much in the way of experience for the internship vs the junior or seniors that are also applying.
You'll get an internship, but it probably will take some time.

Oct 29, 2017
It's been a long fucking time coming, and I'm not out of the woods yet in terms of exams, but I just got offered a job. Gonna be a lawyer, lads. We made it.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haee, take heart. You'll get far more rejections than interview offers at first - don't let it take you down. Think of it this way - being in first year, you don't have much in the way of experience for the internship vs the junior or seniors that are also applying.
You'll get an internship, but it probably will take some time.
Thank you for the kind words. You're right. I have sent like 15 CVs to other companies but this one hit a little bit harder since I got my hopes up after passing the pre-interview selection. Oh well. Going to do some complementary stuff on Udemy to work on my CV alongside college.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
So excited guys, got hired as a help desk analyst. Still in school working on my associates but I guess the interview went well enough. I'm amazed at how lucky I got.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Scheduled for two interviews: one for tomorrow, and another for Monday. Hope at least one works out.
It's for a collections specialist and a cs representative for a marketing and advertising firm.
Already work as a customer service and sales rep but the call center burnout with customers, especially during the holiday season and the 40 mile round trip commute is getting to me.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I have an offer for a Director level position which would be a lateral move for me but also gives me job security. The salary is about the same but I would have to go into an office 4 days a week. I haven't worked in an office for years, so I would need to buy clothes and a car. The commute is about an hour each way.

Pros would be job security

Cons would be giving up workonw from home, buying a car, and having to wear pants every day

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I got the job. I had my health appointment earlier today. They took some blood today because it's a hospital IT job, even though I won't be in the hospital most of the time.

Thankfully they didn't drug test me today. Orientation is Monday morning, can't wait. Making my way in the IT world like I've wanted to.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I want more PTO.

I got 10 days per year.

I'm currently trying to decide what I value more. I currently get 24 PTO days, 10 sick days, and week of Christmas off. But I only make $45k/year in NYC.

I would really like to be making more but I know I risk losing a lot of that time off. Currently, the time off/low pay fits my lifestyle (no family/no mortgage), but I know that's going to have to change some day.