• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Got an interview in an hour. Bit nervous, but I'm very qualified and I hope it'll stick. It's been about two months since my last interview, when I was sooooo close. Three rounds and it didn't work out. Heartbreaking shit.

I've been looking like crazy for the past year and I've been lucky enough to have a job the whole time, but I just quit, and that's put a fire under my ass. I taught at a school and the students were really rude, nasty, disrespectful, and even aggressive...last week, a kid threw a chair at the wall and yelled at me through the halls and I was like, yeah, fuck it, that's the last straw. Having no full-time position and just dedicating myself to searching and interviewing would be better for my emotional health.

One thing that worries me is that my thirst for finally landing a great job makes me too anxious, which leads to me not doing my best in interviews and second-guessing myself. It's like when you're on a date and you're too damn desperate, and it's a turn-off. Psyching yourself up to...psych yourself down and be chill and confident is a weirdly counter-intuitive but, I think, necessary thing.

Let's see what happens.

Oct 25, 2017
Got an interview in an hour. Bit nervous, but I'm very qualified and I hope it'll stick. It's been about two months since my last interview, when I was sooooo close. Three rounds and it didn't work out. Heartbreaking shit.

I've been looking like crazy for the past year and I've been lucky enough to have a job the whole time, but I just quit, and that's put a fire under my ass. I taught at a school and the students were really rude, nasty, disrespectful, and even aggressive...last week, a kid threw a chair at the wall and yelled at me through the halls and I was like, yeah, fuck it, that's the last straw. Having no full-time position and just dedicating myself to searching and interviewing would be better for my emotional health.

One thing that worries me is that my thirst for finally landing a great job makes me too anxious, which leads to me not doing my best in interviews and second-guessing myself. It's like when you're on a date and you're too damn desperate, and it's a turn-off. Psyching yourself up to...psych yourself down and be chill and confident is a weirdly counter-intuitive but, I think, necessary thing.

Let's see what happens.

Man, I can relate to this so much. The fear of not getting the job makes me feel less relaxed and confident when I'm actually in the interview.

How did yours go? I had an in-person interview Friday too. There's been a pit in my stomach ever since it was scheduled early last week because I'm nervous of what will happen if they say no. The thought of being at my current position another 2-3 months not being able to land anything else is excruciating to think about.

The waiting game of actually hearing back after the interview is so hard too. I think I did well answering the interview questions, but like a dummy I didn't ask what the next steps were, so I'm not even sure when they'll reach out.

Last edited:

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any secret to trying to relocate for a job?

I have just started my job search about 6 months ago and have barely had any real interviews. I've mainly gotten screener interviews with nothing happening after that. When I graduated and was unemployed it seemed like I had 1-2 in-person interviews per week and now I struggle just to even get one. It honestly feels like there is more demand for a fresh out of college graduate than someone with 2-3 years experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any secret to trying to relocate for a job?

I have just started my job search about 6 months ago and have barely had any real interviews. I've mainly gotten screener interviews with nothing happening after that. When I graduated and was unemployed it seemed like I had 1-2 in-person interviews per week and now I struggle just to even get one. It honestly feels like there is more demand for a fresh out of college graduate than someone with 2-3 years experience.

I had to do this a while back, roughly the same amount of experience as you, and I got a lot more of a response when I put the place I was moving to as the location on my resume, rather than the place I live now. The downside is sometimes you'll get companies calling you who need someone immediately (as opposed to when you can feasibly move there) but it got more conversations going and that's a lot better than nothing.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Now it's official. I got my final offer letter today. Overall, I'm happy. The starting pay is pretty much what I'm making now. However, in the long run I'll make significantly more. It has higher promotion potential and more OT. Plus I'll be leaving San Diego, so the cost of living will drop dramatically. That being said, it's really not about the money. It's about finding something I'd enjoy doing and is meaningful. Plus it's only an 11 hour drive from San Diego, so I can still come back and see my family during the holidays.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funny seeing this thread pop up. Applied for a new job. More money, great atmosphere, etc. A former co-worker started there a couple of years ago and always praised it.

Recruiter was so so. Kinda plain and had no personality, but was straight to the point with no bullshit which i can appreciate. Set me up with a video interview the following Monday with the manager. Went great even though it was my first video interview, i actually found it less comfortable then in person. Got an email the next day for an onsite interview the following week with 2 other managers. Both went great and lasted close to 2 hours, left feeling extremely positive. The only thing that always backfires on me is no degree. Job doesn't require it but it's such a bitch now a days. That was last Thursday and haven't heard anything yet. Communication was on point, but now it's been 3 days and it's killing me. Staring at my phone constantly!

I want to send a follow-up email so bad, but i'll wait it out.

Oct 25, 2017
Now it's official. I got my final offer letter today. Overall, I'm happy. The starting pay is pretty much what I'm making now. However, in the long run I'll make significantly more. It has higher promotion potential and more OT. Plus I'll be leaving San Diego, so the cost of living will drop dramatically. That being said, it's really not about the money. It's about finding something I'd enjoy doing and is meaningful. Plus it's only an 11 hour drive from San Diego, so I can still come back and see my family during the holidays.

Congrats on the new job!

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats!

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Well, been out of work for 3 months. This company I really liked has done 3 interviews with me, and I was invited to meet the CEO. I've never experienced such a long process before. I think my chances look good. Any thoughts from others who've been through multiple interviews?

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Well, been out of work for 3 months. This company I really liked has done 3 interviews with me, and I was invited to meet the CEO. I've never experienced such a long process before. I think my chances look good. Any thoughts from others who've been through multiple interviews?
Never take anything for granted until you get that a formal offer. I had a interviews I made the final round and was sure I had nailed it (and where 3-4 month long processes) and they still passed me over.
Be yourself and keep your interview skills sharp, because they probably have more candidates, and at the end, you never know what may tip the balance to favor one over the other.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Never take anything for granted until you get that a formal offer. I had a interviews I made the final round and was sure I had nailed it (and where 3-4 month long processes) and they still passed me over.
Be yourself and keep your interview skills sharp, because they probably have more candidates, and at the end, you never know what may tip the balance to favor one over the other.

Any tips for meeting the CEO? I heard from someone working there that the CEO is very very weird. That it's impossible to read how he feels. He also told me they only spoke for about 5 minutes. The fact that he's weird is what worries me.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for meeting the CEO? I heard from someone working there that the CEO is very very weird. That it's impossible to read how he feels. He also told me they only spoke for about 5 minutes. The fact that he's weird is what worries me.
It's cliche, but be yourself. It's actually true when you talk with to execs, since it's unlikely you will be working with them directly anyway, so it just comes down to whether they like you.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Man, I can relate to this so much. The fear of not getting the job makes me feel less relaxed and confident when I'm actually in the interview.

How did yours go? I had an in-person interview Friday too. There's been a pit in my stomach ever since it was scheduled early last week because I'm nervous of what will happen if they say no. The thought of being at my current position another 2-3 months not being able to land anything else is excruciating to think about.

The waiting game of actually hearing back after the interview is so hard too. I think I did well answering the interview questions, but like a dummy I didn't ask what the next steps were, so I'm not even sure when they'll reach out.

Hey man, I feel you, believe me. So rough out there. Honestly, I think it's totally fine to reach out today and just say hey, I really enjoyed the interview on Friday, and I'd like to just touch base about next steps in the hiring process, when you'll make a decision, etc. I know the waiting sucks sooooo badly. One of my recent interviews was about four weeks before I got married; I went through three rounds, and everything looked so good. I had a great feeling that I'd get this job, and I was excited that my wedding would go hand-in-hand with a new position. But as the weeks ticked by...and...nothing. Got the rejection on the day before my wedding. Obviously my wedding weekend was fantastic, but it sucked just a slight bit of the wind out of my sails. Like damn, couldn't you have told me this earlier, haha.

My interview went well, and things look good. I feel good about it and I was extremely confident and strong the whole way through. Got a little tongue-tied when we talked about pay, but it's okay, I think.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I apply, I have a successful phone interview, I travel 2-4 hours on the train to on-site interviews just to get told after 2 weeks that they chose someone else.

I'm getting so sick of this whole shit so I agree.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Well folks, looks like I'll be making a home in this thread for awhile.

I found out yesterday that I was being failed on my probationary period for my job with the local sheriff's department.

I've sorta kinda knew it's been coming for quite awhile, but the loss has still hit me like a truck and I've been walking around in a fog for the last couple of days.

Got a couple of interviews lined up for this weekend, and a recruiter for a temp agency talked to me today and seemed optimistic about her ability to land me a position soon.

Just wanted to wish everybody out there in the struggle with me good luck and god speed.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I have an interview for a different position at the place I currently work. It's not a place where I normally wear a suit, just kind of business casual. I also see the person who will be interviewing me on a regular basis.

Should I wear a suit or dress like I normally would?

Oct 25, 2017
Well folks, looks like I'll be making a home in this thread for awhile.

I found out yesterday that I was being failed on my probationary period for my job with the local sheriff's department.

I've sorta kinda knew it's been coming for quite awhile, but the loss has still hit me like a truck and I've been walking around in a fog for the last couple of days.

Got a couple of interviews lined up for this weekend, and a recruiter for a temp agency talked to me today and seemed optimistic about her ability to land me a position soon.

Just wanted to wish everybody out there in the struggle with me good luck and god speed.

That definitely sucks, wishing you the best of luck in those interviews!

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I have an interview for a different position at the place I currently work. It's not a place where I normally wear a suit, just kind of business casual. I also see the person who will be interviewing me on a regular basis.

Should I wear a suit or dress like I normally would?
I'd use a suit. First impressions are very important, and using a suit will transmit an image that you put a bit more thought into the interview. Second interview onwards, if you realize the place is really relaxed, you can ditch the suit for just formal pants and shirt.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
I'd use a suit. First impressions are very important, and using a suit will transmit an image that you put a bit more thought into the interview. Second interview onwards, if you realize the place is really relaxed, you can ditch the suit for just formal pants and shirt.

It really depends on the companies atmosphere. I was job hunting earlier this year and a couple of recruiters specifically told me not to wear a suit because employers thought they were too formal. If you're an accountant or something, suit up but if its IT I'd just wear a shirt and tie.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
I agree. Though I'm grateful I don't live in Japan where resumes are supposed to be handwritten. I can't imagine doing that every time I drop in a resume.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm lost on what I should be doing as far as job searching goes.

Right now I'm hedging my hopes on the staffing agency I signed up with. They call me up for new Help Desk 1 openings, and I agree to each one. Haven't gotten any responses back, though, so I worry if the pickings are slim.

I feel that if I'm going to pursue an IT-related career that I should be exclusively focusing on IT-related jobs so that I can add the experience to my resume. Aside from Help Desk I jobs, I don't know what else I would qualify for.

Would anyone be willing to look at my resume and offer a few suggestions on what I could be doing now?

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Oh shit, I got a call back from a recruiter for an IT job! She asked me to update my resume with experience with programs and things I've done. While I have done quite a bit, I'm not sure how to make it sound professional. Help anyone? I've got enough experience with MS Office, intro'd to packet tracer recently. Installing OS' and building computers from scratch.

Oh man, I'm excited. The starting pay would probably between 18-20 per hour. I'd have to commute but that's not a damn problem right now.

OMG

Oct 28, 2017
I had a phone interview with a pretty big company yesterday for a contract position. It went really well I thought. I heard about it through a recruiter, and this is my first time using one.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Nailed it! Will start working on Monday! Turns out the general manager was a huge fan of me during the very first meeting. That said, I still ended up being dragged through 4 interviews throughout a course of 3 weeks. So much anxiety. Almost felt a little pissed that it took so long if they liked me that much. Really really happy with it though.

Oct 25, 2017
Nailed it! Will start working on Monday! Turns out the general manager was a huge fan of me during the very first meeting. That said, I still ended up being dragged through 4 interviews throughout a course of 3 weeks. So much anxiety. Almost felt a little pissed that it took so long if they liked me that much. Really really happy with it though.

Congrats!! Yeah I have trouble wrapping my mind around the number of times some companies want people to come in before they make a final decision. Glad it worked out!

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Looking for a job is awful enough, but I'm in a job I hate that's overnight work and nothing I'm doing is working. Employment agencies, LinkedIn, applying by myself, tweaking my resume... it's exhausting.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have an interview monday. I'm so nervous :(

I feel like I'm set to get the job, but I'll find a way to fuck it up anyway.

Redowl

Oct 30, 2017
New York City
I don't know how to quote but I'm in the same boat as one of the previous posters. Linkedin, Monster, changed resume and zilch. I started seeing a job coach.

Last edited:

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I got laid off a few weeks back. Got a decent severance so enjoyed a week or two of fucking around cause why not. I put the feelers out as that is always how I got a job in the past. Lo and behold it has not worked this time around. I guess being 43 I am no longer a hot commodity. So wish me luck, I will be cold applying to positions starting Monday. Just getting my resume and website solid before I do. Fuck.

Redowl

Oct 30, 2017
New York City
I got laid off a few weeks back. Got a decent severance so enjoyed a week or two of fucking around cause why not. I put the feelers out as that is always how I got a job in the past. Lo and behold it has not worked this time around. I guess being 43 I am no longer a hot commodity. So wish me luck, I will be cold applying to positions starting Monday. Just getting my resume and website solid before I do. Fuck.

Good luck. I am soon to be 39 and age doesn't help. I'm still looking and still at my current job.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Anyone have personal experiences transitioning out of a call center environment? Been feeling the call center burnout since my second Black Friday/holiday season grind (working there for 2 years and 4 months now) Mainly looking to see what other occupations will translate to what I do now; my job title is customer service and sales representative and my primary tasks involve order processing, sales inquiries, customer follow ups (w/ transaction issues, compatibility issues) help desk, chats, RMA processing, etc.

I've been looking into an account manager role so far since some sales inquiries I do assist universities, companies, and non-profit organizations; just hoping to find a job that keeps the calls with individual consumers at the bare minimum. Not sure my mental health can continue the wear and tear of dealing with some toxic customers as I am prone to raising my voice in a hostile manner on the phone sometimes with customers when they're incoherent or if there's a bad reception.

Currently 25 and graduated with a Business Administration - Finance degree 2 1/2 years ago; only internship I took was a marketing one (paid fortunately) Learned a lot about the ropes of marketing during my time there but found some of the metrics of productivity flawed as I felt I wasn't doing much.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I just had two interviews at two different companies where I got to the second in-person rounds and wasn't hired for either.

High level job searching really sucks. So many fucking hoops to jump through.

Oct 28, 2017
I am a recent college grad, did an internship during my final semester. During this internship I formed a close bond with one of the employees. After I graduated he asked me to help him with a separate sales/marketing project. It's done remotely, and I am not paid. It's relevant to my field, and I have no other job right now. I am calling it volunteer experience on my resume, but I'm unsure if this is deterring hiring managers from contacting me. Is there another way to phrase this position? I will say I've already had 2 interviews where this hasn't really been an issue. They've just wondered why I took a volunteer position out of college.

Dorothy Gale

Alt-Account
May 25, 2018
I am a recent college grad, did an internship during my final semester. During this internship I formed a close bond with one of the employees. After I graduated he asked me to help him with a separate sales/marketing project. It's done remotely, and I am not paid. It's relevant to my field, and I have no other job right now. I am calling it volunteer experience on my resume, but I'm unsure if this is deterring hiring managers from contacting me. Is there another way to phrase this position? I will say I've already had 2 interviews where this hasn't really been an issue. They've just wondered why I took a volunteer position out of college.

What, not paid? How do you eat?

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Congrats, Your post just gave me hope. 4 interviews, all went great, 6-7 damn positions available and haven't heard from them in 6 days when communication was on point up until the last interview. Luckily one of them told me starting date would the end of the month so if i get no response by next week, i won't have to stress anymore and move on.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Well I'm currently in training for City Carrier Assistant at the Post Office. I'm in my last week. Sometime next week I'll be let out to my post station.
The journey isn't over yet though. I still have a 90 day probation where they can drop you for literally anything.

Oct 28, 2017
I would get out there and get the best possible job I can get, even if it's outside your field.

Getting paid $0 is unacceptable while your employee friends make money off of your work.
Well I mean... that was the entire point of my post. I am getting interviews. I have a final one Monday that I feel great about. They never said anything negative about this position.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats, Your post just gave me hope. 4 interviews, all went great, 6-7 damn positions available and haven't heard from them in 6 days when communication was on point up until the last interview. Luckily one of them told me starting date would the end of the month so if i get no response by next week, i won't have to stress anymore and move on.

Try sending them an email after a week.

Here's what I said to make it sound less desperate and more enthusiastic.

"I really enjoyed meeting you last week, and wanted to emphasize just how excited I am about this opportunity. Is there anything else I can forward along to make your hiring decision easier?"