• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, alright, so I haven't actually applied for grad school. Or even begun to think about it that seriously. Orr about why I would even want to go to grad school. Ok, well, I miss school, I have this dream job that I'm never gonna get and I want to impress this dream job I think a way to do that is to go to grad school for some reason, even though this job does not require it.

Why did you go to grad school? Are the above reasons not specific enough to warrant even thinking about it? Is it stupid to have only one (1) school in mind, and if you don't get in, you'd just drop the thought altogether?

Also, if a school is GRE "optional but extremely highly recommended" can you skip the GRE? I haven't taken math since high school and have no desire to study for a standardized test.

Thank u

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
It actually wasn't that bad. The self-reflection in the essays was of course a bit painful. Studying for the GRE wasn't horrendous- although I'd been away from math long enough I should've taken a refresher course beforehand.

I hit the ceiling of where I could move up in my field without a grad degree. So I got one but for a slightly different field. Took nearly a decade of mulling over what type of grad school I wanted to attend.

Having a dream job is good. Have you talked to people that hold that job? What sense of the importance of school might they have?

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Off-topic, but i'm curious, did you really traded your bone marrow for a pizza or its just a joke?

Oct 25, 2017
Getting reference letters was a royal pain, having to ask profs who may barely remember you and then making sure they actually get it to you in time :p

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Also, if a school is GRE "optional but extremely highly recommended" can you skip the GRE? I haven't taken math since high school and have no desire to study for a standardized test.

I had a good run of applying to Masters & PhD programs... I got 7 or 8 fully funded PhD offers.

Take the GRE. It makes it easier for schools to cobble together a funding package for you if you have a high GRE score, increasing your chances of admission... even if they don't require the GRE.

The reason for this is that some schools have different divisions or departments competing for merit scholarships. Since students across fields can't be compared to one another easily, a high GRE score on your file can help them to make a case for funding for you.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting reference letters was a royal pain, having to ask profs who may barely remember you and then making sure they actually get it to you in time :p

Yeah, about that, I absolutely have not "kept in touch" with professors. Do they get mad if you go to them cold turkey?
Off-topic, but i'm curious, did you really traded your bone marrow for a pizza or its just a joke?
Wish you could just make the title a link
Don't skip the GRE, some schools don't care but it sticks out not to have those scores. How much it matters depends on the field, but you should take it.

Do you think there's any relevance if the school you're applying to is the one you attended for undergrad?

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Applying for grad school sucked! But you can do it if you just do a little bit of work every day! Re: your questions OP

-Don't skip the GRE. Unless you bomb it, it can't really hurt you, and if you do really well it can help a little bit. Also, it's not that bad.
-Definitely apply to more than one school. Application bloat has extended from undergrad into grad school, and now I'd say applying to fewer than five schools is probably a mistake unless the program you want to enter is very niche (my brother just got into an MA in Central Asian Studies and could only find three decent schools to apply to; I am starting my 2nd year of a PhD in Philosophy and applied to 15 schools, of which I only got into 5).
-If you're not sure if grad school is for you, either try to just do an MA or find a PhD program that will give you you a terminal MA if you quit early! Don't start and then drop out of a PhD program where you won't get a degree if you do so (this applies in the U.S., not sure where you are. The situation is different in countries with better funding).
-If your dream job doesn't require grad school, probably don't go! Grad school sounds fun and easy, but it can be tiring and shitty just like anything else. However if your main reason for applying is either to just straight up learn more or because you miss school, then it might be a good idea!

Hope that helps!

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I would take the GRE, I think it looks better for apps. I got my undergrad in Engineering so I didnt really care for the exam. I reviewed a nook for about a week and winged the test. I thought it was pretty fair.

I just enrolled in an MBA program and starting in September. Honestly, I just did it for myself. I watch all my coworkers give up on elevating themselves and I figure this is a good way to just have something I am proud of for myself and makes me a bit more flexible.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
You should tell us whether you are thinking of a PhD or a Masters, and in what field. Those are important details.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
Will be following this thread. I've held out of going to grad school because I was so content with my bachelors, and was able to do what I wanted without further education. I told myself I wouldn't go back to school unless I wanted a career change, and well... here I am considering it.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So here's the thing about the GRE optionality or lack thereof.

it being optional is a major reason, if not the reason, why I'm even thinking about this more seriously than I ever have before. The test is a deterrent to me. I have a job that is fine and does not need a graduate degree to advance, at least for quite a few years. The relative simplicity of applying to the dream grad program is what makes the whole thing worth trying IMO.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I took the GRE once and got something like top 25-30% for verbal and quantitative. I completed applications for six graduate programs over my Thanksgiving break week senior year of undergrad. Interviewed with three of the six and was accepted to one pretty quickly on a fellowship. I think I'd get accepted to a second had I not called to withdraw my name.

Went because I wanted to be a professor. Four years after finishing my PhD and I'm still not a professor, but I continue to apply and am enjoying my research in the meantime.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I went to grad school because there weren't a lot of jobs after I graduated so after a year I started taking classes for the my Masters. I had planned to get my Masters regardless but I obviously moved the schedule up. I started classes while applying for jobs but I ended up becoming a full time research assistant so I got my entire tuition paid for by the university. My GRE scores weren't great but I had good letters of recommendations from my college professors. I went to the same school as my undergrad, just at a different campus.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
So here's the thing about the GRE optionality or lack thereof.

it being optional is a major reason, if not the reason, why I'm even thinking about this more seriously than I ever have before. The test is a deterrent to me. I have a job that is fine and does not need a graduate degree to advance, at least for quite a few years. The relative simplicity of applying to the dream grad program is what makes the whole thing worth trying IMO.

I'm gonna keep it real with you, if a bit of studying and taking a test for a couple of hours is holding you back, the grind and exhausting effort of grad school isn't going to sit well with you. It's a marathon, and taking something like the GRE is just a little warmup before you approach the starting line. If you don't want to go to grad school because you have to take the GRE, you definitely shouldn't go. Not trying to be shady, just giving it to you straight.

madame x

May 15, 2020
tbh, grad school in general is soul crushing and a horrifying experience.

i would say i totally regret it, but i did grow a lot as a person after facing many hardships during my time.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
If it says GRE optional, that mostly just means they would prefer you to have taken it, and as long as you don't tank it completely, it won't really be a big factor during the consideration of your application.

The GRE itself is a slog, so definitely will have to prep yourself a bit for that, but if a college you're applying to says it's optional, don't overwork yourself studying for it too much, but do make sure you have the baseline knowledge for it at least.

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA
The first time I applied for grad school, I sent out 10 applications and didn't get in to any programs. It took me nine years to reapply to grad school after that. I only applied to 2 schools this time (my degree is really niche, it's a Masters in Transportation). So it depends on the major and how many you personally want to attend and apply to.

I took the GRE both times and my verbal scores were good, my math scores, not so much. But I got in, so do take the test. If it doesn't matter and you do bad, then they weren't looking at the scores anyway. If you do well, you can get some funding.

As for why I decided to go to grad school after nine years, I wanted to change my career to one where I actually do something I love (transit planning). Most planning jobs require a masters so I'm starting mine in the fall.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Studying for GMAT was really fun, although having to hit 90+percentile kind of a put quite a bit of pressure on me.
But yeah, writing essays and doing research takes a lot of time by itself.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
tbh, grad school in general is soul crushing and a horrifying experience.

i would say i totally regret it, but i did grow a lot as a person after facing many hardships during my time.

This was me after grad school

To be fair, I went to grad school away from the main campus. I lived at home with my parents, the lab I worked at was in a crappy location and most of the other students had full time jobs so they were just part time students. If I had gone to grad school at the main campus, I think the setting would have been a lot better for my mindset. I don't regret it though. I was able to land a high paying job right as I was graduating. The person who saw my application was in a class I was a TA for. Now I'm at my second job. The Masters degree really did open a lot of doors for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to start grad school in the fall (masters in school counseling) and didn't get in the first time I applied. I did a year of volunteer work and reapplied and managed to get in. Honestly, the gre was the easiest part. I had a harder time getting references.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I went back for a MSc since I wanted to transition from a career in generating data to one where I'd analyze it instead.

Had no interest in a PhD after so many people dissuading me, and ended up in the UK since I could do a 1-year program. No GREs needed. (Plus, they had a tuition-waiver scholarship. Even without it, grad school was more expensive in the US.) I wanted to spend as little time away from working as possible.

It was probably the most exhausting year of my academic career, but it helped me find a job in a new country in my field of interest. I didn't quite double my income, but it's almost there.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna keep it real with you, if a bit of studying and taking a test for a couple of hours is holding you back, the grind and exhausting effort of grad school isn't going to sit well with you. It's a marathon, and taking something like the GRE is just a little warmup before you approach the starting line. If you don't want to go to grad school because you have to take the GRE, you definitely shouldn't go. Not trying to be shady, just giving it to you straight.

cover6.jpg

I see what you're saying but also I refuse, I refuse, I refuse.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
A master in what they call the social sciences

I cannot stress this enough. Never, ever pay out of pocket for a PhD, especially in the humanities. Get a job to pay for it or get it paid for by the University.

For a Masters, you probably want to find a job that has tuition remission benefits. It might be worth changing jobs to get this versus taking out loans.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot stress this enough. Never, ever pay out of pocket for a PhD, especially in the humanities. Get a job to pay for it or get it paid for by the University.

For a Masters, you probably want to find a job that has tuition remission benefits. It might be worth changing jobs to get this versus taking out loans.

I haven't looked into whether or not my job offers assistance. I have heard rumors that it has some half-measures in this area, is all.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017

1000% this.

OP, you are lazy and will most likely be a bad grad student.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
What type of program are you looking to get into?

I'm starting my MBA in the fall and I'm super unprepared. I didn't take the GRE or GMAT, I was planning on it but got a waiver from where I did my undergrad. They had a good part time MBA program that fits my style the best (blend of online and in person, thought I needed to attend classes to stay honest) and they do delayed billing so I can wait to pay them until my employer reimburses me. The in person classes are also close to the office so it all made sense pre-covid

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Don't skip the GRE, some schools don't care but it sticks out not to have those scores. How much it matters depends on the field, but you should take it.
I skipped the optional GRE and got in. I got in due to my years of working experience, my letters of recommendation and my company's status.

It's a top 15 university in the US as well.

I would say skip it, if you have great letters of recommendation, you work for a well known company, and you have the work experience to back it up.

R.P. McMurphy

May 8, 2019
OP, is the GRE general test "optional but highly recommended" or the subject GRE? If the former, still take it. As others pointed out, it can help with funding. If the latter, it might not be as important depending on your field and if your undergraduate degree was in the same subject.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I skipped the optional GRE and got in. I got in due to my years of working experience, my letters of recommendation and my company's status.

It's a top 15 university in the US as well.

I would say skip it, if you have great letters of recommendation, you work for a well known company, and you have the work experience to back it up.

That's awesome, but it's an exception and you had a lot of other things going for you - the OP says that they haven't spoken to their profs in years for one, so riding on letters of rec probably isn't going to make up for missing this test, and as for the well-known company and work experience bit, OP wants to eventually be at a dream job (that doesn't even require this graduate degree?), so it doesn't sound like their work experience or background will make them an automatic shoo-in.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
The GRE is not a hard test. It's not even college-level math, from what I remember.

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to go to grad school because I couldn't find a job after my Bachelors degree, I applied to 3 schools and i got into 2 of them pretty easily, far easier than I was expecting actually. And I didn't get into the 3rd because one of my references didn't submit their response but I already got into my first choice so it was all good. I should note that I did my undergrad in the US and did my grad in Canada, I didn't need to do the GRE and, because I did so well in my last 2 years of undergrad, I got in very quickly. i submitted my application around May, got my admission papers in July for a Spring semester start time.
Overall, grad school was a lot less stressful for me than undergrad was.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome, but it's an exception and you had a lot of other things going for you - the OP says that they haven't spoken to their profs in years for one, so riding on letters of rec probably isn't going to make up for missing this test, and as for the well-known company and work experience bit, OP wants to eventually be at a dream job (that doesn't even require this graduate degree?), so it doesn't sound like their work experience or background will make them an automatic shoo-in.

I will say that my current job is the job that people who go to this program want when they graduate, to be fair. It's just that I want a different job, in the same fruit basket but let's say apple vs orange, both of which can result from this program. But again my current job is the vastly more popular one.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Yeah, the GRE is not that bad. I ended up taking it twice- studied daily for a month before both times.

If that's really the deterrent, DO NOT ENTER A GRAD PROGRAM.

Because the grad program's grind is going to make the GRE look like cake.

(Graduated last year with a master's in one of the social sciences)

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I didn't have a professor write one. This is what I did, I have associates that have much better jobs that I have, and I got them to write them for me. These associates are people that know from interacting with them outside of work, and we chat here and there about life. What I learned is that people will go out of their way to write letters of recommendation because A, they feel important, and B, they see it as an excellent opportunity for you. I did have one person from my job write me a letter as well.

I have written a couple of letters to interns that I only spent three months with, years after they interned, and both got in. What most schools look for is someone that will represent their name well. I made sure that I put that in the letter of rec. Grades are one part of the equation, especially for grad school. When you choose the people to write your letters, make sure you read their body language. The people that are thrilled to write it for you will produce a fantastic letter.

When you write an essay about yourself to submit, focus on your goals in life and how that school can help you achieve them. Focus on the school's brand and status. Tell an engaging story about yourself.

Also, my undergrad is Software Engineering, so that could have helped. I am not sure.

I will say that my current job is the job that people who go to this program want when they graduate, to be fair. It's just that I want a different job, in the same fruit basket but let's say apple vs orange, both of which can result from this program. But again my current job is the vastly more popular one.
I will not say ride your job as I did, but they were more impressed with my company than anything. The school knew that my tuition would be paid with no problem, and that's due to my company's tuition plan. They asked me how I would be paying for it. I sent them a letter from my company, and this was before I got accepted.

Have all of your ducks lined up if you plan on using your company vs. GRE. If you are nervous, take the GRE.

Last edited:

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Just went through the process last year. Now I'm at a university I never expected I could get in.

Why did you go to grad school?
I was working at an organization that would not consider giving me a raise unless I got a Master's or a PhD. And I had a lot of gaps in my knowledge for the the field I wanted to work in: data science. Despite having a very strong statistics background, my computer science skills were not super great. I only had a minimal exposure to machine learning. I also went to a not so great undergraduate school with very little resources, and I wanted the experience of going to a top school. And I'm a double minority in the field. I didn't expect people to take me seriously as a woman and ethnic minority unless I had paper to back up my skills.

Are the above reasons not specific enough to warrant even thinking about it?

Is it stupid to have only one (1) school in mind, and if you don't get in, you'd just drop the thought altogether?
Why do you only have one school in mind? Is the program that niche? Is it because of location?

I know people who got very, very good funding because of their GRE scores. If this is something you really want to do, I would suggest putting the effort into the GRE.

The good thing about the GRE is that the math is nothing beyond high school level, but it is a little bit of bullshit. What are the scores you need to hit? If you're going for a social science program, you don't need great scores. Also, I imagine most social science programs will require at least some sort of quantitative course, so you'll have to study for something math related eventually.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have a professor write one. This is what I did, I have associates that have much better jobs that I have and I got them to write them for me. These associates are people that know from interacting with them outside of work and we chat here and there about life. What I learned is that people will go out of their way to write letters of recommendation because A, they feel important and B, they see it as a great opportunity for you. I did have one person from my job write me a letter as well.

I have written a couple of letters to interns that I only spent 3 months with, years after they interned and both got in. What most schools look for is someone that will represent their name well. I made sure that I put that in the letter of rec. Grades are one part of the equation, especially for grad school. When you choose the people to write your letters, make sure you read their body language. The people that are thrilled to write it for you, will produce an amazing letter.

When you write an essay about yourself to submit, focus on your goals in life and how that school can help you achieve them. Focus on the school's brand and status. Tell an engaging story about yourself.

Also, my undergrad is Software Engineering so that could have helped. I am not sure.

What is the etiquette for asking for a recommendation after years away? This would have to be initiated, at least, via email. Do you have to butter them up, or are professors busy enough that they just want you to get on with what you're asking? Like, do you attach resume and SOP in the first email, or wait?

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
Don't do the subject GRE if you don't have to. It's expensive and can adversely influence your admission. That was the best advice I got when applying. Hell, I even applied to a school that *did* require it (didn't notice) and they still gave me an interview even though I didn't take the test, so it's not a hard rule even then.

The school I ended up going to doesn't even accept the GRE for my option anymore.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you only have one school in mind? Is the program that niche? Is it because of location?

I know people who got very, very good funding because of their GRE scores. If this is something you really want to do, I would suggest putting the effort into the GRE.

The good thing about the GRE is that the math is nothing beyond high school level, but it is a little bit of bullshit. What are the scores you need to hit? If you're going for a social science program, you don't need great scores. Also, I imagine most social science programs will require at least some sort of quantitative course, so you'll have to study for something math related eventually.

It's essentially the graduate version of my undergraduate degree, at the same school. I love my school. It's the best one for this program.

Average verbal is around 160, quantitative 150. Is that high? I have literally negative knowledge about the GRE so can't even begin to fathom how scoring on it works.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

If you've already got one of the good jobs that come out of these programs, it sounds like you're giving yourself a lot of headache here. Isn't there another way to transition without grad school, if as you say, the other job doesn't actually require this degree?

What is the etiquette for asking for a recommendation after years away? This would have to be initiated, at least, via email. Do you have to butter them up, or are professors busy enough that they just want you to get on with what you're asking? Like, do you attach resume and SOP in the first email, or wait?

You don't need to be butter up a former prof. Just ask and be clear about what you're looking for and what you want to accomplish in the program. You may need to re-introduce yourself if it's been years. Only ask if you had a good relationship, though, and/or you did really well in their course. I've had students come back to me 5 or 6 years later asking for a letter, when they were C/D students and I've had to politely decline. If you had any particularly good relationship with a prof, choose him or her, especially if you did an independent study or any other activity like that.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you've already got one of the good jobs that come out of these programs, it sounds like you're giving yourself a lot of headache here. Isn't there another way to transition without grad school, if as you say, the other job doesn't actually require this degree?

You don't need to be butter up a former prof. Just ask and be clear about what you're looking for and what you want to accomplish in the program. You may need to re-introduce yourself if it's been years. Only ask if you had a good relationship, though, and/or you did really well in their course. I've had students come back to me 5 or 6 years later asking for a letter, when they were C/D students and I've had to politely decline. If you had any particularly good relationship with a prof, choose him or her, especially if you did an independent study or any other activity like that.

Like in OP, it's because I'm looking for any possible advantage to getting this job, which is extremely hard to get, but it's also because I just want to go back to school in general. RE: letters - are there conflicts of interest when the professors you're going to ask are professors for the program you're applying to? Will they be more critical / likely to decline? I mean, I was a good student, and when I discuss my current employment with them I think that they'll recognize I mean somewhat srs bzns, just not enough for the GRE, of course :P

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

I didn't use a professor, but if I did, I would contact the professor that I had a good relationship with. The thing for me was that I had been out of college for a while, so I didn't want to bother with it. I know that some schools require a past professor, but some schools will bypass that if you can't find any. Talk to the school, they are more than willing to help answer your questions. I recommend building a relationship with the school too.

If professors remember you, they will write you a letter or send a generic template. If you get someone from your company, make sure they have your company's logo on letter.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I graduated in 2008 and couldn't find a job, so I frittered away the summer and went back to school in the fall to get a Master's degree. That's the main reason, but I did really enjoy doing it. My supervisor was great and let me decide what I wanted to research, while providing the right amount of guidance. The coursework was challenging but I was able to pick topics I was actually interested in. The Master's degree didn't advance my career or anything, and my scholarships & bursaries amounted to less than half of what I could've made at a real job, but I have no regrets.

I'm in Canada so I can't comment on the GRE, and I went straight from undergrad to postgrad so the application process was pretty breezy for me, but I'll describe my experience anyway. I had good marks (around 85 average), and got reference letters from a professor and from a manager who I did an internship with. Then I met with the professor who I wanted to study under (at a different school from where I got my Bachelor's degree), discussed what I wanted to do, and he agreed to accept me. I applied for and got a scholarship from the federal government and a bursary from the university. I also got paid to be a teaching assistant and research assistant.

I think you should speak directly to the professor(s) who you're interested in studying with, before submitting your application. Like just get the feelers out there, and find out if you'd be a good fit. And don't just send emails, call them or meet in-person if you can. Good luck!

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
Average verbal is around 160, quantitative 150. Is that high? I have literally negative knowledge about the GRE so can't even begin to fathom how scoring on it works.
The verbal score is at the 85th percentile. The quantitative score is at the 36th percentile. So verbal is kind of high while quantitative is actually lower than the median score. I don't think you have anything to worry about in regards to the quantitative score. You might still need to study a little bit just to refresh your memory, but it's completely doable.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have a professor write one. This is what I did, I have associates that have much better jobs that I have, and I got them to write them for me.
This will be program and school-dependent, too. In my case, they explicitly required an academic LOR from a former professor of mine, so the one I had from my boss (an MD who ran a lab doing clinical trials and who was also an adjunct professor) wasn't sufficient.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will be program and school-dependent, too. In my case, they explicitly required an academic LOR from a former professor of mine, so the one I had from my boss (an MD who ran a lab doing clinical trials and who was also an adjunct professor) wasn't sufficient.

This program is insane, it wants like three letters or something crazy. I think I'm fine just random-roulette asking someone from work to do one, and maybe even a second person, and then I'd think of the professor with the best name brand-to-possible memory of me ratio.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also: Does it change anyone's calculus on the GRE thing if the school policy is actually GRE is optional but if you don't do it then you have to write an extra essay based on a prompt

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
Also: Does it change anyone's calculus on the GRE thing if the school policy is actually GRE is optional but if you don't do it then you have to write an extra essay based on a prompt
Honestly depends on how strong of a writer you are and how comfortable you feel with the prompt.