• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised but its still hilarious (and a little frightening) to see it laid out this way...

The plain text of Facebook's 'App Privacy' section on the App Store runs to over 650 words, and you don't have to read the whole thing to get an idea of just how intrusive Facebook actually is as an app. Data used to track users include; your address, email address, name, phone number, whilst data linked to users includes; purchase history, precise location information, photos and videos, contacts, health & fitness analytics, and more. The list goes on and on.

Apple's new privacy feature reveals astonishing cost of using Facebook | iMore

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
They have so much meta data on people. I'm glad I never downloaded this app.

At some point they will get hacked and troves of info will be available for purchase. How you parse through all of it I don't know but I'm sure with ai learning and scripts all the relevant info will be processed.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
That's terrifying. I went and checked on Amazon but theirs isn't up yet but will be there when they submit their next app update

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I imagine many apps are like this, not excusing it but they all love data.

I wonder what Instagram and WhatsApp are like, even if you don't use the Facebook app, they get you regardless really, websites, other services etc.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Can't wait for Apple to roll-out that anti-cross-app tracking feature in the new year. Facebook is losing their goddamn mind over that feature, and is trying to take Apple to court over it, claiming it will hurt their business.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have the Facebook app, but I log in on safari, then log off and remove the account. I kept getting random chimes on my phone, and realized that even though I sign off of the site, they still send me alerts. there is an option to deny alerts when you log off the web version.

Weird as hell.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
I use NextDNS and it has an analytics feature. I don't use Facebook, but the sheer amount of blocked queries is insane, in my case most of them come from Google and Amazon (quelle surprise). But now I'm really curious what would happen if I tried out Facebook for a month

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They have so much meta data on people. I'm glad I never downloaded this app.

At some point they will get hacked and troves of info will be available for purchase. How you parse through all of it I don't know but I'm sure with ai learning and scripts all the relevant info will be processed.

Recently I made a basically blank account that I don't use. No app installation. I was stunned to find out how little they know about me. They don't even know who any of my relatives are.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Recently I made a basically blank account that I don't use. No app installation. I was stunned to find out how little they know about me. They don't even know who any of my relatives are.
Just realized reading this thread that I have the Instagram app on my phone. Oops. Well I guess I'm check out the web version and see how that compares so I can get rid of it

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Assume this is the same for Instagram? Nobody even uses Facebook anymore.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I've noticed you can't view Facebook messages via the web on the mobile site since the past week or so. I feel like it's another step to force people to install their horribly intrusive Messenger App.

Oct 27, 2017
Do iPhones not give users precise listings/controls of all the permissions apps ask for and allow them to granularly turn them on/off? Because on Android, FB only has access to my Contacts (for suggestions), Files (for uploading pictures), and Location (only when the app is in use, so not in the background)

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I have Facebook installed on my phone just because I have a lot of sites where I use Facebook to login and unfortunately most of them dont offer the option to 'migrate' from a Facebook account to an email/password... But I also have my Facebook app with no permissions on and it is also on my 'deep sleep' list so that the phone never let it run on background.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Kind of depressing that we need a massive m tech company to help highlight how another slightly less bigger tech company is messing with our privacy.

I'd love to delete Facebook, but it's my only form of contact with a lot of out-of-town friends, and my family still uses it regularly.

Dec 7, 2017
It's a fucking travesty that we've just let these corporations gather all sorts of data from us. Like for real how is this still legal??? I know, lobby's and such

Insane.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
Funnily enough I'm about to delete my FB account permanently. I'm aware however they still keep a significant chunk of data, I also use WhatsApp and Instagram.

Any tips on ways to reduce that info?

I have even considered doing a couple of daft things such as changing my address and giving them the wrong info just to throw them. Not that it bloody matters much in the grand scheme of things.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone who's anyone has all this data anyway. It's really really not worth living your lives in fear. All those saying "I've never had facebook" etc, It doesn't matter they already generated shadow accounts for you based on connections made from your associates who had/have facebook. There's been 10 years+ of digital fingerprinting going on specifically for you as a person. Google knows everything you like and do.

It's the reality of it.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
It's a lot easier to say "my phone is listening to me!" than to read this big long list, though.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
But it's an American company so it's fine. /s

But seriously, imagine the riots on the internet if it's a Chinese app or something.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't used it in ages and haven't even bothered ever installing the app on my phone for years... But this is genuinely shocking...

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
GDPR didn't require plain text explanations, just a warning that they did that with a link to what that meant(regardless of how well you could understand it)
It requires clear explanation of how your data is collected and stored, what it's used for and your consent for each use, as I understand it.

OP
OP
thisismadness

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Do iPhones not give users precise listings/controls of all the permissions apps ask for and allow them to granularly turn them on/off? Because on Android, FB only has access to my Contacts (for suggestions), Files (for uploading pictures), and Location (only when the app is in use, so not in the background)

Yeah, you can limit all those things in iOS also. However, no amtter how granular the settings are, there is still a ton of tracking/collection you can't do anything about once you are using it. So the point of this feature is to provide a bit more detail into the type/amount of data collection that is happening while you use a particular app.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
It's a lot easier to say "my phone is listening to me!" than to read this big long list, though.
I mean it probably is, been thinking about switching to iOS from Android because they seem to respect privacy more. Ideally the Linux phones would get into shape faster and I can switch to that for the best privacy

Oct 29, 2017
I've noticed you can't view Facebook messages via the web on the mobile site since the past week or so. I feel like it's another step to force people to install their horribly intrusive Messenger App.
It's been that way for awhile from what I remember. Back about two years ago I'd not be able to use messenger via web.

also most of my family has Facebook. I preach on it given my field and they just say huh and go back to scrolling.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't care about Facebook itself, but I have registered on so many websites using the 'Facebook' integration that if I were to delete my account, I'd lose my account details

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland

You can run Messenger in web, but you have to put your browser in a Desktop mode. The mobile version redirects you to the app store.

Oct 27, 2017
They make it really hard to actually delete data.

Quick question when you delete your FB account will it remove or delete public comments? Or would the comments be left up with a name/picture? Or left up with a "user deleted" name?

I thought I deleted 4 years ago, turns out I deactivated. But I need an account for a quest 2 so I reactivate my fb and start removing/deleting everything. Its a slog but im making it.