• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Why does a $99 smart speaker need to be repairable lmao

Just recycle it when it dies, which is at least 8-9 years for most apple hardware

There's such a rabid online vocal minority of weird nerds that push for rIgHt To RePaIr when it just makes products less efficient, less optimized, and fucking goofier looking. Such a bizarre culture war to partake in

Theres no such thing as ethical consumption

It's as weird as those rabid fans for a trillion dollar company that doesn't actually care about them but still will defend them at every fucking turn

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
It's as weird as those rabid fans for a trillion dollar company that doesn't actually care about them but still will defend them at every fucking turn
It's just that every time that Apple releases a product, and this one pretty much every reviews agrees that is great the anti-Apple crown nitpicks the thing into oblivion trying to find every possible reason to be offended.

Why can't people just appreciate cool tech?

RefreshZ

Oct 27, 2017
The "tech" isn't much cooler than anything else on the market, its just this is wrapped in an inpenetrable casing. In any case the % of actually recycled components/materials is often massively overstated, so chances are high a lot will simply be discarded. The same applies to Airpods (which I love), they're destined for a dusty old tech drawer or the bin one day when all they need is a new battery.

Being this environmentally irresponsible to fatten your bottom line as one of the most valuable companies in the world is unconscionable.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
It's just that every time that Apple releases a product, and this one pretty much every reviews agrees that is great the anti-Apple crown nitpicks the thing into oblivion trying to find every possible reason to be offended.

Why can't people just appreciate cool tech?
call me anti-apple again, I dare you

edit: this came off a little too hostile for resetera

I'mma just say that I'm not anti-apple, daily drive a 2014 mbp and own an embarrassing amount of old apple crap

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
Being this environmentally irresponsible to fatten your bottom line as one of the most valuable companies in the world is unconscionable.
Actually, Apple is of the big tech company that puts a lot of effort in it's environmental impact, whatever the anti-Apple crown believes it or not. Every year they publish a 80-ish pages environmental repport, it's public an accessible on their apple.com/environnement page as well as the steps they are taking to achieving carbon neutrality.

I'm just tired of people playing armchair manager and getting outraged over every thing without having a single clue of the decisions and trade offs needed to design a product.

Oct 25, 2017
Why does a $99 smart speaker need to be repairable lmao

Just recycle it when it dies, which is at least 8-9 years for most apple hardware

There's such a rabid online vocal minority of weird nerds that push for rIgHt To RePaIr when it just makes products less efficient, less optimized, and fucking goofier looking. Such a bizarre culture war to partake in

Theres no such thing as ethical consumption

"There's no such thing as ethical consumption" used to JUSTIFY unethical creation is the most liberal thing I've ever seen.

"There's no such thing as ethical consumption" is meant to, relatively, absolve consumers of guilt for participating in capitalism, not to absolve capitalists from doing bad things.

Actually, Apple is of the big tech company that puts a lot of effort in it's environmental impact, whatever the anti-Apple crown believes it or not. Every year they publish a 80-ish pages environmental repport, it's public an accessible on their apple.com/environnement page as well as the steps they are taking to achieving carbon neutrality.

I'm just tired of people playing armchair manager and getting outraged over every thing without having a single clue of the decisions and trade offs needed to design a product.

Their energy efficiency in one area doesn't excuse it in another.

RefreshZ

Oct 27, 2017

Hmm, I've read the stuff on Apple's recycling and their efforts to be green/carbon neutral. I've no doubt they've made great strides toward cleaner/greener data centres and supply chain (which their pdf refers to the main). However, with regards to their actual products, global recycling efforts vary vastly (especially in Asia) so if there is no immediate method of repair its far easier to discard. They make efforts to point out their new Macbooks are 40% recycled but I don't see stats with regards to any other product line.

Seems a bit hypocritical to me to be keeping your house in order to get the environmentalists patting you on the back while pumping out products like Airpods that have a finite lifespan (and no means of extension) purely to ensure your next refresh sells.

Last edited:

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
pumping out products like Airpods that have a finite lifespan (and no means of extension) purely to ensure your next refresh sells.
Apple rectifying this would go a long way to quell people's criticisms. The airpods are one of their biggest sellers, if not the biggest. It'd be a step in the right direction to look into dealing with them in terms of redesigning (replaceable battery) and/or a recycling/trade-in program made just for them. Going forward, the airpods need a new design is the way I see it. Two years, then dead – is abysmal for headphones/IEMs.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They also make products that force people to get a new one instead of repairing. They are a slimy company that continues to screw over people.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Apple's everything is impossible to repair. You're just supposed to buy another one and throw away the broken one. Which will accumulate in a toxic dump, ready to be passed onto a developing nation as their problem. Wonderful company.
whoa whoa whoa, there's some repairable apple hardware

the phones are decent, for example. some macs too

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Apple is such a shit company. I wish people would stop stanning so hard for them and actually buy products that can be repaired (and recycled!)

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Apple is such a shit company. I wish people would stop stanning so hard for them and actually buy products that can be repaired (and recycled!)
you're acting like every apple product is a plastic coffin for batteries and PCBs when that just isn't the case

how many devices have you taken apart and/or repaired?

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
you're acting like every apple product is a plastic coffin for batteries and PCBs when that just isn't the case

how many devices have you taken apart and/or repaired?
Well I've traditionally bought android phones with swappable batteries since that is the main thing holding tech back from being reusable

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Well I've traditionally bought android phones with swappable batteries since that is the main thing holding tech back from being reusable
ah yeah, that's ideal

you can still totally replace the batteries in iPhones though, as well as the screens (which I've done several times). it'd be better if the batteries were more end user replaceable, but we shouldn't conflate that with airpod batteries which are pretty much impossible to replace

Sep 12, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility toward another member
I'll never understand the complaints of a hardware company making hardware with a certain design philosophy. If you want a big, honking, upgradeable tower with off market components and limitless customization you already know you're not the demographic for this company. Gear heads need to feel superior to justify their totally unrelated hobby.

On topic I have literally never met anyone that wanted to repair a speaker.

Fuck you and fuck Apple

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I don't particularly care about repairability for $99 things, but that also means that I'm agnostic: in a vacuum, repairability is always better than the alternative. Unless there's actually an engineering reason for not allowing it, of course.

But I think expectations are at issue here, and that's creeped in the wrong direction. For instance, if I were going to buy the next iteration of whatever the Mac desktop computer is, I'd want user-replaceable SDDs and RAM. But I doubt that's happening. If it's a new MacBook Air, I think I'm conditioned at this point to treating the thing as vacuum-sealed and only repairable with special tools or at a repair shop.

That's not particularly great. Hell, my main computer is an OG MacBook that I've replaced the HDD with a SDD, upgraded the RAM, and swapped a new battery in.

I'd personally love for the Pro line of things to have user-swappable parts, but that's because I care less about an extra few millimeters saved on thickness. Granted, it won't prevent me from upgrading this thing to the next M1-chipped MacBook Pro in a few years, but I also know that if I want something customizable, I've got to go elsewhere.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Right to repair is a serious issue. Sure something like a $99 homepod is most likely going to end up in a landfill anyway, but if we accept things not being repairable it will spread into more expensive devices that actually are worth paying someone to fix. Right to repair is bigger than just electronics as well.
I heard if we also have even the slightest amount of gun control we will end up with all guns being banned.

People are always worried about the slippery slope without understanding that it actually does end somewhere.

But TBH,their products tend to get better the more locked down they become. Waterproofing on mobile devices, and now look at the M1 MacBooks where you can't fix anything. They are amazing because of the changes they made which necessitated them to be impossible to replace storage or ram.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
But TBH,their products tend to get better the more locked down they become. Waterproofing on mobile devices, and now look at the M1 MacBooks where you can't fix anything. They are amazing because of the changes they made which necessitated them to be impossible to replace storage or ram.
I agree with this in theory, but evidently the M1 mini RAM might not be on the die (take it with a grain of salt of course)

also, c'mon. this thread is about a speaker, with a side of airpods. surely they could devise a way to get the batteries out of airpods without ruining their simplicity

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To a greater extent, why does a speaker really need to be reparable? This isn't an object that sees a lot of wear-and-tear. Unlike a phone or a laptop, it sits on a shelf for years and years.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
To a greater extent, why does a speaker really need to be reparable? This isn't an object that sees a lot of wear-and-tear. Unlike a phone or a laptop, it sits on a shelf for years and years.
I mean, it's a design principle

you should be able to disassemble stuff, we shouldn't be manufacturing plastic coffins for rare earth metals and shit to decay in

what if the integrated power supply in that thing blew a capacitor? easy fix, but the claim here is that you basically have to cut the thing open to get in there

personally I don't even think the homepod mini is that bad but repairability is very good

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
what if the integrated power supply in that thing blew a capacitor? easy fix, but the claim here is that you basically have to cut the thing open to get in there

personally I don't even think the homepod mini is that bad but repairability is very good

I'd agree, but I don't see the claim in the linked article that you have to cut into the HomePod Mini to take it apart. If you're referring to the iFixit teardown for the full-sized HomePod, that also links to a subsequent teardown where someone figured out a non-destructive approach. Seems like you do have to melt some glue in both cases, which isn't great, but can be dealt with.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I heard if we also have even the slightest amount of gun control we will end up with all guns being banned.

People are always worried about the slippery slope without understanding that it actually does end somewhere.

I think the difference is that this is less hypothetical what if, and more an indication of what Apple is already doing. Its no secret they're against right to repair. Of course its not only just an Apple thing, or limited to electronics. The makers of other products are doing this as well, and try to get legislation passed against it.

Of course there's also different levels of how easy something is to repair. Something like the homepod this thread is about, or airpods, were basically designed to be used and thrown away. Modern phones are hard to repair because they're sealed, but you can still take them apart and replace components without destroying it. Even on a Mac you can re-solder new components to the board. Though Apple won't let you buy any parts so you have to salvage them from other dead units, but they are repairable if you can get those parts. The problem is Apple is making it harder for anyone but them or other authorized places to replace components.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I'd agree, but I don't see the claim in the linked article that you have to cut into the HomePod Mini to take it apart. If you're referring to the iFixit teardown for the full-sized HomePod, that also links to a subsequent teardown where someone figured out a non-destructive approach. Seems like you do have to melt some glue in both cases, which isn't great, but can be dealt with.
oh shoot, my reading comprehension is bad

I'm not 100% sure what the complaint is then, I thought it was the outer housing

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
oh shoot, my reading comprehension is bad

I'm not 100% sure what the complaint is then, I thought it was the outer housing

Discussion of this general topic is a positive thing, but the specific article that spawned the thread mostly just seems to me like some dumb/sensational editorializing by 9to5mac.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Discussion of this general topic is a positive thing, but the specific article that spawned the thread mostly just seems to me like some dumb/sensational editorializing by 9to5mac.
yeah, shoot

this should've been an airpods thread

edit:
yeah yeah I know, but even that seems like a stretch. the audio components are ostensibly replaceable, the caps look easy to access, and you get a fine enough tipped soldering iron in there and you could even fix a cold joint or something too. it's not ideal, but it looks fine. it's not glued or clipped together too egregiously.

now airpods on the other hand, they're complete horseshit
how did I forget all of the progress I made in this thread lmao

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
However, I do find it a bit ridiculous how Apple charges $79 to repair this. That's 80% of the original price! When you combine that with a very challenging repair process, that just further incentivizes additional electronic waste.

What at that price tag. Why not just buy a new one at that point. Makes no sense.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
What at that price tag. Why not just buy a new one at that point. Makes no sense.

Well, I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but at $79 for a repair, the repair is probably them just them giving you a new one. They already made the profit off you from the initial purchase, and at $79, they're probably still making a small amount off the cost of the unit.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but at $79 for a repair, the repair is probably them just them giving you a new one. They already made the profit off you from the initial purchase, and at $79, they're probably still making a small amount off the cost of the unit.

Yeah that's pretty =/ ridiculously wasteful.

I think the only apple thing I own is a 4th gen Ipad. It still works too even despite having a hairline crack in the screen (the bottom is a mess though. I'm surprised it didn't completely shatter). (I remember laughing at the price they wanted to fix that and decided to live with the screen). I believe it was enough I would've been better off buying a new Ipad come to think of it xD