• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying $100 is cheap. I'm saying I don't see a way to repair it (repair costs + opportunity costs) for less than its worth.

If $100 is a lot for you then it's probably better to get an extended warranty so you can send it back if it breaks down.
It shouldn't be more expensive if the thing was easier to repair and components for it were made available.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
It can't be that many if iPhones etc are still as popular as they are. I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to do, it would be great if you could.
It's a chicken and egg thing at this point. People just buy new ones because they can't repair the broken ones.

It's literally baked into their business model at this point and it's wrong.

People just don't seem to care whatsoever. It's honestly saddening on the whole.

Anyway, it would be great, hell yeah! I'm not chastising you or anything. I'm sure you know this already. Feel like I'm talking to thin air in these threads sometimes lol

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Environment aside, do the economics even make sense for repairing sub $100 devices? Let's say something goes wrong after six months of ownership. I have to drive to the repair shop, pay for labour, and potentially pay for a part. The device will already be going for half/two thirds of its value on Kijiji by that time. the cost of repair + the opportunity cost of wasting time repairing it will exceed the value of the device.

Sorry OP I'd rather just give it away/chuck it and get a new one.
that's completely logical, but the person you give it away to should be able to fix or salvage it (within reason)

it's about not making crap that's destined to be trash

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have anything to back this up? Consumer buying stats? I'd be curious to see that. I really find it hard to believe that people factor in repairability for <$100 devices.
Ii think even 50usd is a good treshold, but that's me.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have anything to back this up? Consumer buying stats? I'd be curious to see that. I really find it hard to believe that people factor in repairability for <$100 devices.
I was going to look for the benefit of this thread. I don't, I'm honestly going off my own habits and knowing I'm not the only one out there that does this. There's websites dedicated to repairing and tearing electronics down, YouTube tuts, Instructables, reddit subs, etc. which at least lend to my experience.

I know anecdotal evidence is a no-no and all that, trust me. If you do come across anything, please post here. I'll take a look later or tomorrow morning myself.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'll never understand the complaints of a hardware company making hardware with a certain design philosophy. If you want a big, honking, upgradeable tower with off market components and limitless customization you already know you're not the demographic for this company. Gear heads need to feel superior to justify their totally unrelated hobby.

On topic I have literally never met anyone that wanted to repair a speaker.

I would never repair a speaker as well. But that doesn't mean there aren't people that can and do. Or people that really might need to repair their expensive little luxury rather than buy a new one if it shits the bed. Sometimes people get gifts but can't afford to re-purchase them if they break down so repairs are FAR more practical.

The real issue is: Is Apple designing things this way to make them smaller/better? Or just doing it to ensure it's NOT repairable thus folks just purchase more?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
On topic I have literally never met anyone that wanted to repair a speaker.
That's kinda like saying you've never met anyone that wanted to re-sole their shoes.

I mean sure, if the level of quality of equipment is low, replacement is easier and not much more expensive than repairing. But if you bought high quality stuff, it's so good you want it to last for 20 years. With good wingtip shoes ($800+), you want them re-soled because they are just that nice and comfortable. And unlike the cheap shoes at the local department store, they actually will last you 20 years with care. With speakers, if they are that good ($4000+) you want to just repair the bad speaker in the array. Because the sound is just that transcendent. But yea if you're in the $200 price range all the time I can understand your frame of reference.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Because this mindset is ridiculous with a planet barely hanging on as is with the way humanity has pillaged every part of it without care? There is no reason for apple to make these devices this way other than pure greed to stop them being fixable over buying a brand new one from them down the line, it's the same bullshit with their wireless headphones which couldn't have the batteries easily replaced if at all because it didn't make sense to spend the insane cost apple may charge for that over just throwing them away and buying a new pair, because nothing is better than throwing away perfectly good technology to replace it with the same technology just because a huge fucking company don't want to let you change something as simple as a battery and instead chose to glue every single piece together to stop it being possible. At this point anyone who goes out of their way to defend apple for this bullshit by claiming somehow that it's the people who want to be able to repair or upgrade their tech down the road that are the issue and not the company outright doing everything they can to stop that for no reason can fuck off and stop being so obsessed with a fucking tech brand to ignore the bullshit stuff they're doing. I'm real sick of the apple worship that goes on so often now when they pull shit like this and go out of their way to stop people being able to have their tech repaired by themselves or others who are perfectly able to do so but can't without apple saying they can for again no reason but greed.

What percentage of wireless earbuds have replaceable batteries? Is Apple the outlier or just one of many companies with non-replaceable batteries for that form factor?

Nov 18, 2020
Like, let's say a dog eats through the power cord. Inside the HomePod Mini, the power cord is just connected with a 12-pin connector. If it were easy to repair (exposed Philips screws, easily-removable case) I would definitely buy a new power cord for $3 and replace it, instead of throwing it away. Or if the HomePod Mini were battery-powered and had an easily removable / replaceable battery.

I could see other people attempt simple repairs like that. But for anything more complex...like a short caused a chip to burn out in the logic board or you need to re-solder wires...that wouldn't be worth the ROI for such a cheap speaker for the good majority of people.

It seems the crux of the issue here is the near-impossibility to access the insides without a considerable amount of advanced knowledge and tools. At the very least, it's fair to ask Apple to design their products in a way that allows for easy repairs or battery replacements.

Apple has the philosophy of making it as challenging as possible to repair their products, like they're some complex puzzle only Apple Geniuses can fix...and we need regulation to address that. It's definitely a willful choice on their end to be obtuse.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to comment on the idiocracy and cult level defence force in the comments section in the article in the OP - but turns out you only need to read the first page of this thread. Imagine carrying water for scum of the Earth.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory Generalizations; Prior Bans for the Similar Behavior
Apple can do anything they want. They could put mercury in our water and radioactive waste in our soil and brag about it and not lose a meaningful amount of their fans.

We live in the era of personality cults, if you haven't noticed in the last four years.

Apple's best customers feel fortunate that they are even allowed to own their products. You'll get a second job if needed.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to comment on the idiocracy and cult level defence force in the comments section in the article in the OP - but turns out you only need to read the first page of this thread. Imagine carrying water for scum of the Earth.
Oh wow... I didn't even check the comment section there... now I did and I regret everything.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What percentage of wireless earbuds have replaceable batteries? Is Apple the outlier or just one of many companies with non-replaceable batteries for that form factor?
Not sure about the % but one of them is the Galaxy Buds Live. The batteries are fairly easy to replace according to ifixit. Just tabs to open the buds up and the battery has fairly weak adhesive holding it which can be reused. One of the reasons I'm getting them instead of the AirPods and the like, so I don't have to worry about getting rid of them because of the battery in a few years.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
To my limited knowledge, none or not many.

I refuse to buy true wireless buds until someone rectifies that. Reason being? All my headphones and buds have lasted me well over 5 years. (Cables can be serviced or swapped.) You're lucky to get 2 with these battery powered ones - then? Trash.

Edit* Actually, I think the Galaxy Buds have common replaceable batteries but I'm sure they are in the minority. I remember the ifixit teardown.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not sure about the % but one of them is the Galaxy Buds Live. The batteries are fairly easy to replace according to ifixit. Just tabs to open the buds up and the battery has fairly weak adhesive holding it which can be reused. One of the reasons I'm getting them instead of the AirPods and the like, so I don't have to worry about getting rid of them because of the battery in a few years.

So then it's definitely possible. I thought maybe they're so small they just glue em in.

Yea I love my AirPods but the battery degrades terribly after a year.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
To my limited knowledge, none or not many.

I refuse to buy true wireless buds until someone rectifies that. Reason being? All my headphones and buds have lasted me well over 5 years. (Cables can be serviced or swapped.) You're lucky to get 2 with these battery powered ones - then? Trash.

Edit* Actually, I think the Galaxy Buds have common replaceable batteries but I'm sure they are in the minority. I remember the ifixit teardown.

Samsung definitely missing an opportunity to advertise that cause that's a huge selling point.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Samsung definitely missing an opportunity to advertise that cause that's a huge selling point.
imo, the easiest way to do it with the AirPods is to just have a screw in user-replaceable (but Apple-only) battery stem. As the stem of the AirPods is the battery already for the most part. Design around that. Apple won't do it, of course, but I feel it'd be a fair trade.

The Galaxy Buds are not as user-serviceable as one may think, but it is in fact possible and that's what really matters. If you're gentle enough, you can open them, replace the battery, and put them back together without completely breaking them. They're just held together with some tabs.
www.cnet.com

Samsung Galaxy Buds: iFixit teardown reveals they're 'somewhat repairable'

These earbuds actually have replaceable batteries.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
At what point do people stop being shocked by this?

Probably about the same point people stop hopelessly defending it. The same type that applaud them for their environmentally friendly removal of the damn charger will tell you how little this matters in the same breath so... Yeah. I wouldnt expect this debate to end anytime soon. It matters, regardless of how little some want to talk about it, it matters.

Oct 25, 2017
It's incredibly common. I even provide that service. I have for years now.

When people come to me with almost anything Apple nowadays, I have to turn them away. I'm in electronics repair and IT.

But how do these Homepods stack up against other smart speakers? I know that buying some old speakers and rehabbing them is a big thing, but what's the comparison for smart stuff.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
People don't really care about repairability and producing stuff that is hard to repair makes perfect sense for manufacturers. It's sad.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
That's kinda like saying you've never met anyone that wanted to re-sole their shoes.

I mean sure, if the level of quality of equipment is low, replacement is easier and not much more expensive than repairing. But if you bought high quality stuff, it's so good you want it to last for 20 years. With good wingtip shoes ($800+), you want them re-soled because they are just that nice and comfortable. And unlike the cheap shoes at the local department store, they actually will last you 20 years with care. With speakers, if they are that good ($4000+) you want to just repair the bad speaker in the array. Because the sound is just that transcendent. But yea if you're in the $200 price range all the time I can understand your frame of reference.
It's a shame that people are allowed to repair anything!

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
But how do these Homepods stack up against other smart speakers? I know that buying some old speakers and rehabbing them is a big thing, but what's the comparison for smart stuff.
A speaker is a speaker. All foam surrounds will deteriorate at some point depending on conditions and will need to be replaced. Especially if the original speaker is unable to be sourced (which is the case with Apple.)

This Homepod Mini... I'm not sure how it stacks up to others. It only has one woofer so it's more than likely lacking in fidelity. The larger one I've heard good things about with the full speaker array.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I get consumer buying habits might not lean towards repairability anymore, especially something like smart speakers or bluetooth speakers, but the reason for that is because companies like Apple, Google, and others, are trying to convince us that waste doesn't matter.

It works. Just look at the people in this thread who -- credibly -- think "$100? Yeah for that much money I wouldn't expect I'd be able to repair it, just throw it in the trash pile and buy another."

Google has been giving away their smart speakers for years, you buy a lottery ticket and a gallon of milk at the convenience store and Google will give you a Google Home Mini to go along with it. THey value the data more so than the cost of making the thing, but you know that when it stops working, because it's basically free people are going to treat it like trash, throw it in a box somewhere, then 2 years later cleaning out the attic it gets thrown in the dump, loaded onto a barge and shipped off to Vietnam where over a thousand years it slowly break down into pieces that can be eaten by krill, and then a fish eats the krill, and your great-(...)-great-grand children will eat pieces of your Apple Homepod Mini in The United States of Peru in the year 3014 which will provide the nourishment their bodies need when the RECLAIMERS come.

It's the circle of life.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I'm with the poster you quoted.
Every post challenging the premise of having this thread, like all the other ones, is met with condescension.

Not everyone has to or will be angry about this or the next Apple controversy. This, like the threads before it, won't change anything.

Then use your ignore thread function if the existence of a thread discussing the problems with waste and non-reparability assails your eyes so much instead of marching in and telling off "the poors". Yall will post 10 times instead of pushing two buttons where you wont have to see the thread again.

Doesn't seem genuine.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
Then use your ignore thread function if the existence of a thread discussing the problems with waste and non-reparability assails your eyes so much instead of marching in and telling off "the poors". Yall will post 10 times instead of pushing two buttons where you wont have to see the thread again.

Doesn't seem genuine.
I never said anything about "the poors"? Yes, I know I could ignore threads, but that doesn't stop the rest of the internet from having the same complaints on a consistent basis. Could Apple do more to adhere to the environmental standards they advertise they stand by? Of course. And so could so many companies.

I guess I don't see the point of the constant outrage, when the same level of ire isn't directed at companies across the spectrum of businesses that pollute. I know there have been posts in here addressing this and saying they all are bad etc., but that doesn't change the fact that Apple is usually the focus, as if they're the largest contributor or something.

And then when this is pointed out, people are acting appalled at the audacious suggestion that 'Apple is awful thread #547' isn't a morally righteous crusade, and more a forum for open complaining that amounts to no change. Like, if you want to keep doing this, that's fine, but don't act hostile when not everyone agrees with you.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
In general, they don't. "Reparability" is a nice ideal but realistically it's something that the vast, vast majority of customers don't care about in a product of this class.
who cares about the majority of end users?? this isn't about them

nothing we build should be designed to be thrown away. we're long past that even being able to be handwaved as sustainable

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, OP got banned in his own thread. Dude was just trying to enlighten lol

RIP for now, good sir.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
who cares about the majority of end users?? this isn't about them

nothing we build should be designed to be thrown away. we're long past that even being able to be handwaved as sustainable
I'm not saying it's a good thing, I'm just saying I understand why they do it. Most stuff like this is going to end up in the trash whether it's "repairable" or not. People just don't care.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
So then it's definitely possible. I thought maybe they're so small they just glue em in.

Yea I love my AirPods but the battery degrades terribly after a year.
I can attest to battery degradation, as well. Not to mention I can't even use them for calls anymore. People I speak to through them say that I'm very muffled, and I'm speaking on a delay. Often the first segment of whatever I'm saying is cut off. Made for some horribly unproductive Zoom calls.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I'm not saying it's a good thing, I'm just saying I understand why they do it. Most stuff like this is going to end up in the trash whether it's "repairable" or not. People just don't care.
oh yeah, totally

like, I understand why Nintendo is being the worst about everything right now, but it still sucks, just like this

Deleted member 32005

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

dang you make me want to invest in some wing tips lol

but yeah, to your point, these are $100 speakers so you're not getting that level quality anyway

Deleted member 32005

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Environment aside, do the economics even make sense for repairing sub $100 devices? Let's say something goes wrong after six months of ownership. I have to drive to the repair shop, pay for labour, and potentially pay for a part. The device will already be going for half/two thirds of its value on Kijiji by that time. the cost of repair + the opportunity cost of wasting time repairing it will exceed the value of the device.

Sorry OP I'd rather just give it away/chuck it and get a new one.
Yeah. I mean if there was a huge failure rate controversy or something I would get the uproar.

Oct 25, 2017
A speaker is a speaker. All foam surrounds will deteriorate at some point depending on conditions and will need to be replaced. Especially if the original speaker is unable to be sourced (which is the case with Apple.)

This Homepod Mini... I'm not sure how it stacks up to others. It only has one woofer so it's more than likely lacking in fidelity. The larger one I've heard good things about with the full speaker array.

Sorry should have been clearer, I meant with regards to electronics. I know fixing speakers is the easier part

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Companies should make their products repairable but this is a problem with most appliances and electronics I see nowadays.

And we don't help as the consumer because a lot of us are strongly motivated to keep upgrading to the newest and best shit. If given the option of repairing an old piece of electronics or upgrading to something with 10x the capabilities the amount of people in the US at least that would want to repair is incredibly small.

I see this problem even with more expensive appliances.

Its not like back in the day when you owned a tv and fridge for 50 years and passed it on to your kids.

Feb 1, 2018
Why does a $99 smart speaker need to be repairable lmao

Just recycle it when it dies, which is at least 8-9 years for most apple hardware

There's such a rabid online vocal minority of weird nerds that push for rIgHt To RePaIr when it just makes products less efficient, less optimized, and fucking goofier looking. Such a bizarre culture war to partake in

Theres no such thing as ethical consumption

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Why does a $99 smart speaker need to be repairable lmao

Just recycle it when it dies, which is at least 8-9 years for most apple hardware

There's such a rabid online vocal minority that pushes for rIgHt To RePaIr when it just makes products less efficient, less optimized, and fucking goofier looking. Such a weird culture war to partake in
booooo

take a bunch of computers, phones, and other devices apart, then you'll understand

only optimization I can agree with is the SiP ram and ram pool in the M1, that shit needed to happen

otherwise you're wrong and frankly you've hurt me and my 512k Mac's feelings

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
There's such a rabid online vocal minority that pushes for rIgHt To RePaIr when it just makes products less efficient, less optimized, and fucking goofier looking. Such a weird culture war to partake in

Right to repair is a serious issue. Sure something like a $99 homepod is most likely going to end up in a landfill anyway, but if we accept things not being repairable it will spread into more expensive devices that actually are worth paying someone to fix. Right to repair is bigger than just electronics as well.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right to repair is a serious issue. Sure something like a $99 homepod is most likely going to end up in a landfill anyway, but if we accept things not being repairable it will spread into more expensive devices that actually are worth paying someone to fix. Right to repair is bigger than just electronics as well.

You're wasting your time.