• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's entirely your right.

It just feels to me like everyone who's going to care already cares, and those who don't care, won't.
What is this attitude? As mentioned above repairability is a universal positive, the only reason Apple (and others) aren't doing it is because it pads their bottom line via selling rubes a shiny new box every year. Defending them on this is just.. strange?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
People, you need to step aside from this simplistic idea of affordability and economics. This is a bigger issue. I bought a high res personal media player by Pioneer which was ~$500. It was not user serviceable at all. The battery expanded, and when I tried to open up the case to replace it, the main board broke. Had to throw it out. Same with my wireless Logitech keyboard, and I even researched and bought the specific type of battery for it, but when I tried to open it, it broke apart beyond repair. This isn't about affordability or economics, it's way, way passed that point. All of this shit, the plastic, the semiconductors and the batteries end up somewhere folks. These components do not just disappear in thin air.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah why keep trying to change things ever. Everyone has already made up their minds about things, no need to try anymore. Holy shit that's defeatist.

Defeatist? Nah.

It's being tired of people acting shocked about unsurprising shit. We don't make a thread every time the sun rises; why make a thread every time Apple releases something that can't be easily repaired? Just put it in the OT.

I mean, fight your fight. It just seems like it's performative for some at this point.

Oct 26, 2017
What is this attitude? As mentioned above repairability is a universal positive, the only reason Apple (and others) aren't doing it is because it pads their bottom line via selling rubes a shiny new box every year. Defending them on this is just.. strange?

Who's defending them? I'm just saying it's not surprising. At all. Even a tiny bit. Yet we get these threads all the time.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
eh can't defend it, so i won't

BREAK

apple has a fairly robust "bring it to us to recycle" policy

BREAK

my apple products tend to last well longer than the non-apple equivalents. friends growing up always said "haha how much does a macbook cost? you gotta be kidding" and then curiously their $200 laptops had to be replaced every six months because they literally fell apart

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Also, way to derail the thread assuming something that it isn't. We are talking about the environment and the impact buying electronics does.
you're the one that brought up upgradeable PC's at the end of the OP :P
It's not about that tho. It's about having the choice of having your stuff repaired by a repair pro and have to go back to the manufacture. This can save people time some repairs can be done in a few days or even a few hours, it can save you money no need for an extended warranty for a repair that can cost you very little, it cuts down on e-waste because you can keep your product longer, these companies sometimes don't even attempt to repair your product they just swap it for another one and try to fix yours later, and if they can't they just chuck it.
A "certain design philiosophy"? i.e. this will look great adorning a land fill when a component malfunctions?

What a stunningly blinkered viewpoint.
Well considering Apple loves to say they don't provide the charger with the new iPhone for environmental reasons and not greed, but also makes something impossible to fix and therefore will end up in a landfill and be bad for the environment, people calling out that shitty hypocrisy is justified
please show me these landfills full of apple devices. most people I know with macbooks and iPads hold on to them for like 10 years. I still have a functioning original ipad. meanwhile google starts and stops hardware support every year and a half.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Antagonizing other users, and a history of similar behavior.

please show me these landfills full of apple devices. most people I know with macbooks and iPads hold on to them for like 10 years. I still have a functioning original ipad. meanwhile google starts and stops hardware support every year and a half.
I SAID A DEGREE OF UPGRADABILITY AS IN SSD AND/OR RAM. THE KIND OF UPGRADABILITY APPLE USED TO OFFER....

Holy shit.. some people, man.

Last edited:

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Defeatist? Nah.

It's being tired of people acting shocked about unsurprising shit. We don't make a thread every time the sun rises; why make a thread every time Apple releases something that can't be easily repaired? Just put it in the OT.

I mean, fight your fight. It just seems like it's performative for some at this point.
Who's defending them? I'm just saying it's not surprising. At all. Even a tiny bit. Yet we get these threads all the time.

You know no one is forcing you to come into threads and whine about what the thread is about. Literally there's an ignore thread feature

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I've missed something, but I read the article and the MacRumors forum post its based on, and I don't really see much direct support for the claim about reparability? The teardown forum post doesn't mention this aspect at all, and then the 9to5mac article just lists the fairly fiddly disassembly steps—it's a compact consumer electronics product, big surprise—and then throws on this statement at the end:

As you can see, repairing a HomePod mini is virtually impossible.

Reading the teardown notes, I don't see what specific type of repair is precluded, and while the forum thread doesn't comment either way on whether it was possible to re-assemble the device back to working order, it doesn't seem as though the person had to outright destroy anything to disassemble it. (There's some glue, which kind of sucks but isn't uncommon.)

I'm all for greater reparability of products like this in general, but if there's something notably egregious here, I've missed it.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Defeatist? Nah.

Yea but in an OT this info is going to get buried, this is about informing people and more eyes are going to be able to see it if it's on the front page as it's own thing.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017

Holy shit how many times does it have to be said, anecdotal evidence isn't actually valid. You're like the people that think correlation means causation

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
The cone is slightly detached from the foam surround. About 1~2 cm around the edge.
If it's just a bit of the foam near the cone, you can use a bit of Aleene's Tacky Glue and let it set for 24hrs.

If it's all the way around (detached?), a refoam and cone centering is definitely needed. But if it's just like the lip of the cone but the foam is still solidly connected, Aleene's will get it right back.

I know even a bit of play will get some weird sounds happening at high volumes lol

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If it's just a bit of the foam near the cone, you can use a bit of Aleene's Tacky Glue and let it set for 24hrs.

If it's all the way around (detached?), a refoam and cone centering is definitely needed. But if it's just like the lip of the cone but the foam is still solidly connected, Aleene's will get it right back.

I know even a bit of play will get some weird sounds happening at high volumes lol
Ya, I've been looking into doing that, I'm just a master of procrastination. It's only noticeable when we're watching a movie with heavy, prolonged bass, but I worry it will eventually get worse.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
People buy apple devices for the form factor, and part of how they achieve that is through soldering components. it's ok to not like it but its not a crime against humanity.

UPGRADES AS IN SSD AND RAM. Holy shit.. some people,.man.
I mean, yeah I don't disagree with this, I bought a MBP 2014 because it was the last upgradeable MBP (even though I never ended up upgrading it). but, still not about speakers.

Holy shit how many times does it have to be said, anecdotal evidence isn't actually valid. You're like the people that think correlation means causation
OK I agree that's fuckedm they straight up lied. but that's just 100k devices. I'm not defending waste, i just don't have enough data to say whether or not apple causes a disproportionate amount of tech waste compared to everyone else. theres device retainment rate and failure rate to consider.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Ya, I've been looking into doing that, I'm just a master of procrastination. It's only noticeable when we're watching a movie with heavy, prolonged bass, but I worry it will eventually get worse.
It may. If the foam is old and brittle especially. What I do in situations like that (time, money, lazyness), I turn the bass down a tad or change the balance to the other speaker until I can get to it.

Anyway, good luck! You need any help, just DM me; I fix speakers, receivers, and other vintage sound stuff as a hobby/side gig.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
"iPhones won't come with charging cable, for the environment"

"Apple products are impossible to repair, leading to more waste"

I'm getting mixed messaging.

Dec 12, 2017
How hard is it to realize that you're part of the problem? This attitude is why Apple (and others) gets away with this shit, demand better.
Dude I'm just being pragmatic. Why would Apple worry about repairability over form factor if there is little demand for the former?

I'm no Apple shill. I shit on them a lot. But these aren't laptops that are prone to needing repair.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Virtually nobody is going to bother repairing a $99 speaker. The cost of even getting it looked at and worked on simply doesn't make it a viable choice.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
my apple products tend to last well longer than the non-apple equivalents. friends growing up always said "haha how much does a macbook cost? you gotta be kidding" and then curiously their $200 laptops had to be replaced every six months because they literally fell apart

I mean, who actually expects super budget laptop to last longer than something that costs 4-5x more? For Windows laptops I buy thinkpads and both of my old ones got me a solid 10 years of use.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Dude I'm just being pragmatic. Why would Apple worry about repairability over form factor if there is little demand for the former?

I'm no Apple shill. I shit on them a lot. But these aren't laptops that are prone to needing repair.
There is absolutely demand. Spend any amount of time reading what right to repair advocates have been saying or streaming and you'll see it. iFixit doesn't exist because of a damn fluke.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Apple wouldn't, because they obviously only care about their bottom line, but customers should. There's repairability legislation popping up in France, Canada and other places, hopefully this will force all manufacturers to be better at this if customers don't.

Dec 12, 2017
Apple wouldn't, because they obviously only care about their bottom line, but customers should. There's repairability legislation popping up in France, Canada and other places, hopefully this will force all manufacturers to be better at this if customers don't.
Of course customers should care, but the problem the VAST majority don't, especially when it comes to smart speakers. Legislation is the only hope.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Virtually nobody is going to bother repairing a $99 speaker. The cost of even getting it looked at and worked on simply doesn't make it a viable choice.
I remember when being a TV repairman was a viable job. My town's main street even had a repair shop.

But realistically, unless you're truly screwing around with it, the vast majority of these HomePods are going to outlive their usefulness and end up in a box somewhere until it's a minor curiousity at a garage sale.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Of course customers, but the problem the VAST majority don't, especially when it comes to smart speakers. Legislation is the only hope.
Which is why I'd expect at least ERA to be better informed on this. Everyone here can understand how dumb it is to have "smart" fridge or coffee maker that will stop getting updates a few years in and not be repairable. It's the same with other electronics, I hope we get there.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't the point. It could be $25 and, still, designing things with irreparability in mind is wrong.

$99 is a lot for many, btw.
If the cost of repair comes close to the cost of replacement, most people will just replace it anyway. It's got nothing to do with retail price, except that the HomePod Mini is so cheap there's no much point in getting some expert that charges $50/hour to come look at it.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
If the cost of repair comes close to the cost of replacement, most people will just replace it anyway. It's got nothing to do with retail price, except that the HomePod Mini is so cheap there's no much point in getting some expert that charges $50/hour to come look at it.
I get that. Thing is, no one can repair these. It's across the board with Apple. Singling out this specific product is not the point.

Some people would like to at least try their hand at repairing. For $99, I certainly would.
For smart speakers? You think people are going to iFixit for smart speakers? Come on man.
I don't see why not. I do. I'm not an outlier. Added a 3.5" jack to my Echo.Dot

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
For smart speakers? You think people are going to iFixit for smart speakers? Come on man.
Its a speaker attached to a computer or some sort of motherboard with a processor so yes? The OP posted two breakdowns of smart speakers from the iFixit website. Just because you aren't doesn't mean someone else will.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

I mean you can't get everyone to repair their stuff. People will throw away a perfectly good device just because they bought a new one. But it should still be possible for those who want to have a device fixed.

Depending on what the issue is, its hard to say how much it would cost to fix. Generally someone who repairs electronics for a living will be quick to diagnose most issues due to narrowing down what can go wrong, or just having fixed the issue in the past.

Dec 12, 2017
Its a speaker attached to a computer or some sort of motherboard with a processor so yes? The OP posted two breakdowns of smart speakers from the iFixit website. Just because you aren't doesn't mean someone else will.
Dude my point is you're in the VAST minority of people who are consumers of smart speakers. To think that Apple would change their practices for a smart speaker is foolish for multiple reasons.