• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
9to5mac.com

HomePod mini teardown reveals nearly impossible repairs and non-removable power cord - 9to5Mac

After being announced during Apple’s October event, HomePod mini is now available to customers in some countries around the world....

The HomePod mini logic board is considerably small as it has the S5 SiP (System-in-Package) with all the components soldered on it. As you can see, repairing a HomePod mini is virtually impossible.

Want to be a real environmentally friendly company? Stop doing shit like this. If we truly want to make a change, computers and components should all be repairable and even have a degree of user upgradability (when it comes to laptops and PCs).

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'll never understand the complaints of a hardware company making hardware with a certain design philosophy. If you want a big, honking, upgradeable tower with off market components and limitless customization you already know you're not the demographic for this company. Gear heads need to feel superior to justify their totally unrelated hobby.

On topic I have literally never met anyone that wanted to repair a speaker.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand the complaints of a hardware company making hardware with a certain design philosophy. If you want a big, honking, upgradeable tower with off market components and limitless customization you already know you're not the demographic for this company. Gear heads need to feel superior to justify their totally unrelated hobby.

Because that design philosophy is garbage? Making your computers as hard to repair and upgrade is trash, and this goes for every single company that does it.

Also, way to derail the thread assuming something that it isn't. We are talking about the environment and the impact buying electronics does. Making things impossible to repair makes for more waste circulating, even if some "recycling" is involved.

Finally, your anecdote doesn't matter.

Last edited:

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
It's incredibly common. I even provide that service. I have for years now.

When people come to me with almost anything Apple nowadays, I have to turn them away. I'm in electronics repair and IT.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the value of repair rights for things that bump around and get damaged as much as phones do, but is the repairability of smart home devices a pragmatic concern for the environment? I was under the impression that software obsolescence was the primary and superseding environmental concern for these things being tossed early. In which case, I might even take the more tightly knit internals and the advantages that it gives their ability to support more demanding software updates over time than being able to repair it.

Yeah I hate that these discussions are always so lacking of nuance and frame repairability as a universal positive to have a certain kind of hardware design.

On the week the Apple M1 chip destroyed all of the competition in benchmarks with a certainly hard to repair design no less lol

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pay $20 for warranty or pay $20 less to get a brand new one, nice recycling Apple

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the value of repair rights for things that bump around and get damaged as much as phones do, but is the repairability of smart home devices a pragmatic concern for the environment? I was under the impression that software obsolescence was the primary and superseding environmental concern for these things being tossed early. In which case, I might even take the more tightly knit internals and the advantages that it gives their ability to support more demanding software updates over time than being able to repair it.

Yeah I hate that these discussions are always so lacking of nuance and frame repairability as a universal positive to have a certain kind of hardware design.

On the week the Apple M1 chip destroyed all of the competition in benchmarks with a certainly hard to repair design no less lol
Eh, yes? Software obsolescence is just another thing on top which makes it even more trashy.

This doesn't lack any nuance. If you fail to see what the problem is, then I don't know what to tell you.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, yes? Software obsolescence is just another thing on top which makes it even more trashy.

This doesn't lack any nuance. If you fail to see what the problem is, then I don't know what to tell you.
For real. We need right to repair laws. Companies like Apple lobbying against that movement is infuriating. Then people defend that which adds insult to injury. It'd be a funny situation... if people weren't smelling their own turds and enjoying it.

It's simple. Things should not be designed like this and should be repairable, maybe not by the lay-man, but in general.

Nov 18, 2020
It is doubtful that people will repair HomePod Minis when they're only $99. It won't be worth the hassle for the vast majority and in all likelihood, these will end up mostly in landfills when they break.

However, I do find it a bit ridiculous how Apple charges $79 to repair this. That's 80% of the original price! When you combine that with a very challenging repair process, that just further incentivizes additional electronic waste.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

There it is.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Apple's everything is impossible to repair. You're just supposed to buy another one and throw away the broken one. Which will accumulate in a toxic dump, ready to be passed onto a developing nation as their problem. Wonderful company.

May 15, 2018
Denmark
In which case, I might even take the more tightly knit internals and the advantages that it gives their ability to support more demanding software updates over time than being able to repair it.

Repairability is a universal positive. Even if you yourself can't repair your product then you can pay someone to do it. Even when you can't pay someone to do it, Apple should be able to reuse or recycle all the parts of your damaged product. Putting a lot of software into a product will acutally only make it more susceptible to obsolescence.
The new m1 macs would be better computers if they were designed around repairability. An integrated chip limits it somewhat but not the extent Apple has done it.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Apple doesn't want you to repair any of their things, ever.

yeah, its one reason I've stopped buying their stuff.

However, I do find it a bit ridiculous how Apple charges $79 to repair this. That's 80% of the original price! When you combine that with a very challenging repair process, that just further incentivizes additional electronic waste.

For $79, I doubt they actually repair it but instead just give you a new one and throw the old one away.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It's not about that tho. It's about having the choice of having your stuff repaired by a repair pro and have to go back to the manufacture. This can save people time some repairs can be done in a few days or even a few hours, it can save you money no need for an extended warranty for a repair that can cost you very little, it cuts down on e-waste because you can keep your product longer, these companies sometimes don't even attempt to repair your product they just swap it for another one and try to fix yours later, and if they can't they just chuck it.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why exactly would I want to 'repair' a $99 speaker? Wouldn't it likely just cost me just as much to buy a new one?

RefreshZ

Oct 27, 2017

A "certain design philiosophy"? i.e. this will look great adorning a land fill when a component malfunctions?

What a stunningly blinkered viewpoint.

Oct 26, 2017
At what point do people stop being shocked by this? Like, I'd understand if all of Apple's stuff was repairable until now, and then this came along and blew everyone's fucking mind.

But no. This shit has been going on for fucking years.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Apple's everything is impossible to repair. You're just supposed to buy another one and throw away the broken one. Which will accumulate in a toxic dump, ready to be passed onto a developing nation as their problem. Wonderful company.
If they were this honest, I would actually give them less flak.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Why exactly would I want to 'repair' a $99 speaker? Wouldn't it likely just cost me just as much to buy a new one?
Orrrrrr maybe, just maybe, if it was easier to repair, it wouldn't be expensive to repair? Shocking, I know!

And, hey, maybe $99 is kind of in the expensive side for some people. Just a thought.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017

Well considering Apple loves to say they don't provide the charger with the new iPhone for environmental reasons and not greed, but also makes something impossible to fix and therefore will end up in a landfill and be bad for the environment, people calling out that shitty hypocrisy is justified

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
To those posting the landfill comments, you do realize Apple will take in devices to be recycled, right? (To what degree they can do it for this I'm unaware, but they do it for their other products.)

It's not their fault if someone chucks it in the trash to go in a landfill.

(Not saying I don't want it to be more repairable, but acting like there's no option other than to chuck it is a bit disingenuous.)

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
At what point do people stop being shocked by this? Like, I'd understand if all of Apple's stuff was repairable until now, and then this came along and blew everyone's fucking mind.

But no. This shit has been going on for fucking years.
That's the issue. People are still saying, "but who cares about a $99 🔊!". It's across the board and I hope they keep getting called out as they continue these practices.
Can you repair google or Amazon speakers ?
Yes. In fact, you can mod them.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

they can design shit the way they feel like but when they go out of their way to make devices fail even if you are swapping out identical parts from identical machines then its a problem. what possible reason is there for that other than fuck you pay me by apple? people like you are the problem not those that want to be able to repair the device they bought without being sabotaged by the manufacturer.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Can you repair google or Amazon speakers ?
www.ifixit.com

Google Home Teardown

Google is looking to bring the robot assistants of the future to the world today. Equipped with Google Assistant, the Google Home is raring to work...

www.ifixit.com

Amazon Echo

A Bluetooth smart speaker by Amazon, announced November 6, 2014. The Amazon Echo SK705DI features a voice-activated cloud-based assistant that can manage various tasks including playing music, reading news, creating lists, and answering questions.

These 2 at least, yes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
To those posting the landfill comments, you do realize Apple will take in devices to be recycled, right? (To what degree they can do it for this I'm unaware, but they do it for their other products.)

(Not saying I don't want it to be more repairable, but acting like there's no option other than to chuck it is a bit disingenuous.)
There's isn't much you can recycle, and no, it isn't disingenuous when they designed something with irreparability in mind.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hardware miniaturization comes at the cost of very specialized and bespoke engineering.
This crowd is barking up the wrong tree.
I didn't even know people wanted to repair their Smart Home hubs.
How hard is it to realize that you're part of the problem? This attitude is why Apple (and others) gets away with this shit, demand better.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017

They take them in and ...send them to landfill

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
designed... with irreparability in mind.
This needs to be driven home. I'm certain this is what many don't get when they come into these threads.

I recommend throwing that in the OP.
And btw, before any of you vome with "BUT OTHERS DO IT AS WELL". WELL FUCK THOSE OTHER COMPANIES AS WELL.
Like clockwork. Also a new one since Apple finally released something for cheap:
It's a tiny little smart speaker, are we really pissed about this? Seems like a non-issue honestly.
Sorry for singling you out, wlatham92
I think you were the 3rd on this thread to say something similar. It's really not the point.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
That's the issue. People are still saying, "but who cares about a $99 🔊!". It's across the board and I hope they keep getting called out as they continue these practices.

But who cares what people say? They obviously don't give a shit after over a decade of this practice. The constant cycle of outrage isn't changing their minds. And them telling you to calm down isn't going to change your mind.

I mean, spend your time however you want. I just find it silly that this same thing keeps repeating every time Apple releases or updates a product.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
And btw, before any of you vome with "BUT OTHERS DO IT AS WELL". WELL FUCK THOSE OTHER COMPANIES AS WELL.

Nov 18, 2020
At the very least, Apple could use normal Philips screws for their cheap speakers. Why must they insist on fancy Torx T6 and T10 screws? It's a <$100 speaker, not a $1300 iPhone.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
But who cares what people say? They obviously don't give a shit after over a decade of this practice. The constant cycle of outrage isn't changing their minds. And them telling you to calm down isn't going to change your mind.

I mean, spend your time however you want. I just find it silly that this same thing keeps repeating every time Apple releases or updates a product.
I guess my point is that everyone should know their practices and what's up. I'm personally not going to relent. I get where you are coming from, of course.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Inappropriate Joke; Poor shaming; Trolling over a Series of Posts
Orrrrrr maybe, just maybe, if it was easier to repair, it wouldn't be expensive to repair? Shocking, I know!

And, hey, maybe $99 is kind of in the expensive side for some people. Just a thought.

Not all of us are poors, shocking I know. Yea, I can be an asshole too.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Very, very, very wrong way of thinking about things in the year 2020. You are not a boomer. We can't afford to throw out the old one and buy a new one as if it doesn't matter. It ends up as toxic sludge. It is OUR problem.

It's our job to protest against this shit so they are shamed into changing. I used to have so many arguments at NEOGAF with apple fans about this shit since 2005!!! And all the seemingly progressive eco friendly dudes were like "you're just a hater". Well, no, man....if we united and pushed against this shit back then, we would be in a better place today.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017

Because this mindset is ridiculous with a planet barely hanging on as is with the way humanity has pillaged every part of it without care? There is no reason for apple to make these devices this way other than pure greed to stop them being fixable over buying a brand new one from them down the line, it's the same bullshit with their wireless headphones which couldn't have the batteries easily replaced if at all because it didn't make sense to spend the insane cost apple may charge for that over just throwing them away and buying a new pair, because nothing is better than throwing away perfectly good technology to replace it with the same technology just because a huge fucking company don't want to let you change something as simple as a battery and instead chose to glue every single piece together to stop it being possible. At this point anyone who goes out of their way to defend apple for this bullshit by claiming somehow that it's the people who want to be able to repair or upgrade their tech down the road that are the issue and not the company outright doing everything they can to stop that for no reason can fuck off and stop being so obsessed with a fucking tech brand to ignore the bullshit stuff they're doing. I'm real sick of the apple worship that goes on so often now when they pull shit like this and go out of their way to stop people being able to have their tech repaired by themselves or others who are perfectly able to do so but can't without apple saying they can for again no reason but greed.