• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still puzzled by the whole wireless charging thing. Does it charge through phone cases?

Think like an electric toothbrush, it's just induction charging. You used to have to have a charging case that would go into the port but later phones (iPhone 8 and up, recent Android handsets) have this part built in. But your case can't be too thicc.

I bought a night stand lamp with a Qi charger on it for $30. It's nice.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised that Apple announced this product when clearly all the technical problems had not been hased out. Why announce so early when there's all this work left to be done?

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Apple is a clusterfuck since a handful of years. Shocking news

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised that Apple announced this product when clearly all the technical problems had not been hased out. Why announce so early when there's all this work left to be done?
Not even just announced, it's in the informational pamphlets for the phones too. Apple could see a court case over this as it could be considered false advertising the way they pushed it coming this year.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/09/20/iphone-xs-guide-airpower-reference/

Last edited:

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I think this warrants a new thread.

This title is very misleading to people browsing and this going to a massive deal to Apple people especially when this was kind of thought to be dead in the water.

Setting my phone watch and AirPods on one charger…wireless is a game changer.

This will cost a fortune.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I use my phone connected to a long wire while charging. Wireless charging will never be for me if it's just laying on a mat the entire time and I can't move it. I'm not that lazy that I can't connect a wire into a port lol I don't see the reason for this, honestly. Not just Apple, in general.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Is it? Can you tell me why?
This is probably naive, but since my old watch and ancient headphones don't require any charging, I've never been in that situation, and to me as an outsider, it seems like a very minor convenience at best. I just can't see myself ever spending more than 10€ more for something like this.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I use my phone connected to a long wire while charging. Wireless charging will never be for me if it's just laying on a mat the entire time and I can't move it. I'm not that lazy that I can't connect a wire into a port lol I don't see the reason for this, honestly. Not just Apple, in general.
Here's what I've found in the past few months since I switched to wireless charging:

The amount of time that you charge your phone more because it's more convenient to plunk it down, rather than plug in a wire, more than makes up for the time that you aren't charging it whenever you pick it up.

In other words, go ahead and pick up the phone off the charger whenever you need it. You'll put it down on the charger when you're done without any effort on your part, and then it will fill back up to 100% anyway. The only reason we "leave a phone charging" is because the wire makes it cumbersome, so we have gotten into the habit of plugging it in and leaving it there. No need, anymore.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I think this warrants a new thread.

This title is very misleading to people browsing and this going to a massive deal to Apple people especially when this was kind of thought to be dead in the water.

This will cost a fortune.
You can make it if you want. Dead or alive, if it's just a rumour my reaction isn't any more than a "k" but some people might be interested even if nothing is confirmed.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Here's what I've found in the past few months since I switched to wireless charging:

The amount of time that you charge your phone more because it's more convenient to plunk it down, rather than plug in a wire, more than makes up for the time that you aren't charging it whenever you pick it up.

In other words, go ahead and pick up the phone off the charger whenever you need it. You'll put it down on the charger when you're done without any effort on your part, and then it will fill back up to 100% anyway. The only reason we "leave a phone charging" is because the wire makes it cumbersome, so we have gotten into the habit of plugging it in and leaving it there. No need, anymore.
My late-nite phone habits don't line up with that at all. For instance, let's say I'm at 30% at the end of the day in bed, I'll read till it goes to the red sometimes (15%), plug it in, and keep reading for an hour or so. If I did that with the wireless charger, it would be dead within that hour or so.
And my phone's LED changes colors depending on its charge #. So I can just glance to see what it's at or when it's solid green and blinking, it's done, and I take it off. I have a 4000mAh battery and honestly, I only charge like once every 3 days. I think this tech/product is not for me. But maybe I'll get one one day and use it, see if my tune changes; you never know!

I appreciate your experience with it, tho, Boco.

The one kinda plus to it that I can see is aesthetics. Which now that I think about it, Apple probably hates that they didn't get this thing to market lol It would've sold like hotcakes.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My late-nite phone habits don't line up with that at all. For instance, let's say I'm at 30% at the end of the day in bed, I'll read till it goes to the red sometimes (15%), plug it in, and keep reading for an hour or so. If I did that with the wireless charger, it would be dead within that hour or so.
And my phone's LED changes colors depending on its charge #. So I can just glance to see what it's at or when it's solid green and blinking, it's done, and I take it off. I have a 4000mAh battery and honestly, I only charge like once every 3 days. I think this tech/product is not for me. But maybe I'll get one one day and use it, see if my tune changes; you never know!

I appreciate your experience with it, tho, Boco.
I guess the other half of my experience is that my new wireless chargeable phone has a great new battery, and between that and the amount that I charge my phone so much more because of wireless charging's convenience, I'm never even close to 0% in the first place. I don't think I even drop below 80% most days.

Maybe wireless charging will be annoying when my battery capacity starts to tank, or my lifestyle forces me away from a charger for day(s) at a time and I start to hit <10% on the reg. But beleive me that the wireless charging is part of why it never gets that low, not just the fresh battery.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
See my charging habits are charge when in car and at night.

I plunk in a charger pad sounds way better than a wire that has a million hassles and costs etc. But again I want to plunk them on it before I roll over and fall asleep. TIL then they always have charge and I use them a lot but maybe batteries have that much more charge now on this year old x?

The watch is annoying trying to line up in charger and make sure charging and right side with magnet. plunking it down for the time I'm in the shower is enough to hold charge. Unless the s4 charger is better

My AirPods. Again. Plugging them in and out and worrying about a wire in a wall?

Not to mention how many wires and plugs now drop down to one of each.

Convenience is all I see.

Edit: watching nothing to hide on Netflix and it's great, speaking of phones

Oct 25, 2017
Is it? Can you tell me why?
This is probably naive, but since my old watch and ancient headphones don't require any charging, I've never been in that situation, and to me as an outsider, it seems like a very minor convenience at best. I just can't see myself ever spending more than 10€ more for something like this.
You don't see the convenience of two or three devices that use completely different charge methods having one charge-all-mat for one cable-free simultaneous charge? Also, as the tech stands, you can only place these devices on targets for the charge to initiate. Needless to say that it can frustrate one if they place the device just a mm off, and come back to an uncharged electronic. Being able to freely place your phone on the mat without precision is key here.

.. and they want to build an electric powered car (allegedly).
I mean they're wholly different industries? On top of not having announced anything officially. Besides, I completely hope they do since we need as many options and tech competition as we can get in this sector.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Is one pad at a cost that is sure to be an order of magnitude higher worth it? I got my current charging pad for $6. I could run two wires and get two pads.

Wonder how much the airpods wireless charging case will cost.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
You don't see the convenience of two or three devices that use completely different charge methods having one charge-all-mat for one cable-free simultaneous charge? Also, as the tech stands, you can only place these devices on targets for the charge to initiate. Needless to say that it can frustrate one if they place the device just a mm off, and come back to an uncharged electronic. Being able to freely place your phone on the mat without precision is key here.
I don't see how it could be worth more than 10 bucks extra, no, since it takes about 5 to 20 seconds to plug them all in and it doesn't have to be done daily. I'm all for the cable method if there is a large price difference.

EDIT: Asked my colleague (who has three different chargeable devices with him at all times) how much the convenience would be worth to him. "Nothing" was the answer. It would be a nice alternative if the costs were equal, but yeah.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how it could be worth more than 10 bucks extra, no, since it takes about 5 to 20 seconds to plug them all in and it doesn't have to be done daily. I'm all for the cable method if there is a large price difference.

EDIT: Asked my colleague (who has three different chargeable devices with him at all times) how much the convenience would be worth to him. "Nothing" was the answer. It would be a nice alternative if the costs were equal, but yeah.
Okay? Clearly the value proposition just isn't for you or your friend. Which is fine! But I simply wanted to answer why this particular tech would be considered a "gamechanger" for others like you asked. No matter how you look at it, three-device, target free charging is gamechanging for the wireless charging format compared to as it is now if it is something that interests you. Clearly it doesn't for you.

But take it from someone who has purchased miscellaneous "well reviewed" $10 charge mats; you get what you pay for. Finicky induction, slow or inconsistent power transfer, overheating issues, and just overall just cheap, unreliable construction is what I've gotten for looking to save a few bucks for accessories like these. There is a reason why I'm really looking forward to a first party product for all my charging needs, and I'm willing to pay for that quality. That is if they indeed follow through.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Okay? Clearly the value proposition just isn't for you or your friend. Which is fine! But I simply wanted to answer why this particular tech would be considered a "gamechanger" for others like you asked. No matter how you look at it, three-device, target free charging is gamechanging for the wireless charging format compared to as it is now if it is something that interests you. Clearly it doesn't for you.
It really isn't. I just honestly thought maybe I was missing something, because to me, the convenience is way too little to have it be a game changer. Then again, I thought you were talking about "for mobile phones".
I absolutely understand that it's a game changer for wireless charging.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: History of drive-by posting
Garbage, like all Apple products.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Garbage, like all Apple products.
497169.gif
497169.gif

Hot Take Alert

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure