• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
The 30% isn't the target is it? The 30% is just a symptom of the thing they're targeting. It would be interesting to see what would happen if they were targeted next though.
In case of Apple Epic clearly wants the piece of the ecosystem without paying for it, I assume it would be the same with any walled garden out there.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
In case of Apple Epic clearly wants the piece of the ecosystem without paying for it, I assume it would be the same with any walled garden out there.

It's more than that. If that's all they wanted they could do what Amazon does with Kindle; force users to buy the books (v-bucks) on their site and then download it to their device as necessary.

What they actually want is their own *store* on iOS where they can sell more than just their v-bucks.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They want customers to have the freedom to come and go as the please from the walled garden. Yes this would result in more money for Epic, but it's only a positive for consumers and developers.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
What they actually want is their own *store* on iOS where they can sell more than just their v-bucks.
That's what I've said? They want piece of the ecosystem they didn't help establish without paying "taxes" to the owners of said ecosystem i.e. creating their own store.
They want customers to have the freedom to come and go as the please from the walled garden. Yes this would result in more money for Epic, but it's only a positive for consumers and developers.
EGS brought about zero positive change to the PC space and in fact was quite a negative force in a few instances. I have my reservations about the positive nature of their actions.

I don't have a horse in this race tho.

Last edited:

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
I'd be very wary of that argument. Even if Apple accepts that employees using personal accounts are a third party (which I'm skeptical about), Apple could argue that third parties don't have a right to submit code to Epic that infringes on their IP.
I am not so sure. While the matter of whether or not an API as such should be covered by copyright is still a topic for the courts to decide in the US, submitting code containing use of a particular API is not even a question of copying anything as far as I can see. The Apple developer EULA could perhaps prevent an Apple developer from submitting such code however, but not a non-Apple developer.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see how console manufacturers will be an exception in an event there Epic wins.
There are different scenarios what might happen if Epic wins this lawsuit and one scenario is basically that Sony / MS / Nintendo will stop producing new consoles because it's not worth it anymore to spend billions on creating a platform for customers (R&D, Hardware, Infrastructure, Marketing) while you're also forced to let other companies use your platform for free. Those other companies will either sell the same software for less (because they don't have the expenses for running the platform they are using) or lower the perceived value of the platform due to low software standards or by simply bringing malware into that ecosystem.

There's no reason to expect that console manufacturers will continue building consoles if they have to make all investments and bear all risks while other companies will be able to rake in profits on that playerbase without having any costs / risks while the console manufacturer won't see a single penny from those profits.

It doesn't mean that this scenario has to occur if Epic wins but console manufacturers are definately sitting in the same boat with apple this time.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
this is an exciting battle.

Apple vs Epic, and an army of children.

This is going to boil over when the parents start copping it.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Can someone confirm my knowledge or shoot it down:

• You buy an app from appstore = 30% goes to Apple
  • In said app, you buy era-bucks = 30% goes to Apple

If above is true, then the second bullet is what I am finding wrong from Apple. Bullet one is OK since they are hosting the App and so on while bullet two, assuming it is managed by the App developer/publisher, is nothing that Apple is affected by, and this is what Epic is finding unlawful? Afaik, Spotify did the same resoning awhile ago IIRC.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
This is horrible as it will impact other teams that had no part in this process other than licensing an engine. Not cool.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
I don't know if it will even affect it, does Epic not having IOS developer accounts affect their ability to make tools for Windows and Apple for IOS deployment?
There are system frameworks on Apple devices that Xcode refuses to compile when you don't have paid account. I don't know how the signing works on iOS, but the situation may also prevent deploying UE4 games that use binary UE distribution if UE4 libraries are signed by Epic's certificates and not the game developer's one.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If above is true, then the second bullet is what I am finding wrong from Apple. Bullet one is OK since they are hosting the App and so on while bullet two, assuming it is managed by the App developer/publisher, is nothing that Apple is affected by, and this is what Epic is finding unlawful? Afaik, Spotify did the same resoning awhile ago IIRC.

So what about F2P gamed that use the second bullet as a business model?
No hosting?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

It is true.
But let's be fair. It's often:
You download a free app, in said app you buy era bucks and 30% goes to Apple. It's also the case on other platform.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
While I don't agree on model, they are vastly different when it comes to necessity where I would argue that smartphones are seen as an essential tech item while consoles are entertainment.

It's a video game company suing about not being able to put their own video game store on a store already dominated by video game sales. Even if the iPhone is vastly different than a home console, it sure seems like a situation that could happen on console all the same.

Oct 26, 2017

The second point, In App Purchases, also use Apple's payment system. The consumer pays apple the money, Apple take their 30% (after tax) and then pass the rest on to the developer.

The issue arises is that if you try to implement your own payment method for your customers to use, you break the terms of service. Apple explicitly forbid you from implementing these features in your application. Epic did this, hence why the application was removed from the store.

I believe in the case of Spotify, they made the in-app subscriptions cost more than if you were buying it from their own website, which meant that Spotify as a developer would end up getting the same amount of money regardless of where the subscription was purchased.

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
Tim Sweeney: "It was 20 days ago when you and your Silicon Valley Thugs showed up to take your 30% cut, we refused and our game was saved but at the cost of our app. You had us banned, as you ran away. A hero, locking us out of a billion devices"

Apple receptionist: "I'm sorry, i don't remember any of it."

Tim: "You don't remember?!"

Apple receptionist: "For you the day your game graced our app store was the most important day of your life. But for us it was Tuesday."

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you do that to everything you sign?

The interest on that mortgage says 4% but it actually means 0, it's just a bunch of words your honor.

Man people are so dumb.

The situation could not be more simple and people still don't get it. Epic broke the terms of their agreement, which means they lose everything that comes with that agreement (which means software licenses and developer access).

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So what about F2P gamed that use the second bullet as a business model?
No hosting?

Well they make the app available which can be a reason a user buy said ecosystem (Apple) in the first place. How does ad runned app work? Does Apple take 30%?

It is true.
But let's be fair. It's often:
You download a free app, in said app you buy era bucks and 30% goes to Apple. It's also the case on other platform.

Yes, but see above, how does this work for ad runned apps?

The second point, In App Purchases, also use Apple's payment system. The consumer pays apple the money, Apple take their 30% (after tax) and then pass the rest on to the developer.

The issue arises is that if you try to implement your own payment method for your customers to use, you break the terms of service. Apple explicitly forbid you from implementing these features in your application. Epic did this, hence why the application was removed from the store.

I believe in the case of Spotify, they made the in-app subscriptions cost more than if you were buying it from their own website, which meant that Spotify as a developer would end up getting the same amount of money regardless of where the subscription was purchased.

Regarding different payment method, is this an argument to "open" up App store to allow different payment methods?

Regarding Spotify, that is a case I support Spotify actually 100%.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

There's no problem with point 2. If point 2 didn't exist, then Apple would most certainly not allow free apps. Why would they? Provide infrastructure but not be able to generate revenue?

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The interest on that mortgage says 4% but it actually means 0, it's just a bunch of words your honor.

Man people are so dumb.

The situation could not be more simple and people still don't get it. Epic broke the terms of their agreement, which means they lose everything that comes with that agreement (which means software licenses and developer access).

Agreements could be seen as unlawful when a judge rules on the case, that we will see though, and I believe Epic knew that this would and could happen, but they are playing the long game (if they win).

Nov 14, 2017
I am not so sure. While the matter of whether or not an API as such should be covered by copyright is still a topic for the courts to decide in the US, submitting code containing use of a particular API is not even a question of copying anything as far as I can see. The Apple developer EULA could perhaps prevent an Apple developer from submitting such code however, but not a non-Apple developer.
It's not just about the API though is it? It's about Apple's developer resources, which you can only access via license agreement. If Epic were to produce their own compatible developer resources then that would be OK (Oracle v Google notwithstanding) but right now Epic is using Apple's SDK to make Unreal Engine.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
There's no problem with point 2. If point 2 didn't exist, then Apple would most certainly not allow free apps. Why would they? Provide infrastructure but not be able to generate revenue?
Then what would stop devs just releasing apps for free and make it as barebones as possible and then charging for the real thing in the app itself?

Edit: Quoted wrong person.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Steam does this right? Provide infrastructure but don't take a peice of the cake when games offer in-game purchase no?

No, I think all IAP are charged under Steam's model. I think Epic are the only one who don't charge IAP, but there is a notable lack of infrastructure in place regarding their store - there is most likely an intent to charge at least 12% on those. Otherwise you can host a F2P game and pay nothing to Epic.

Nov 14, 2017
Steam does this right? Provide infrastructure but don't take a peice of the cake when games offer in-game purchase no?
Steam takes their cut for all transactions on users a game acquires through Steam. It's why FFXIV has Steam and regular service accounts - if you buy the game on Steam, Valve gets the cut for every future transaction.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tim Sweeney: "It was 20 days ago when you and your Silicon Valley Thugs showed up to take your 30% cut, we refused and our game was saved but at the cost of our app. You had us banned, as you ran away. A hero, locking us out of a billion devices"

Apple receptionist: "I'm sorry, i don't remember any of it."

Tim: "You don't remember?!"

Apple receptionist: "For you the day your game graced our app store was the most important day of your life. But for us it was Tuesday."
Yeah, that's kind of the exact point Epic is trying to make. Apple shouldn't have so much control over the livelihoods of developers.

Edit: whether they are billion dollar corps or a small indie.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
and then what when Epic pays developers of popular apps to pull their app from the Apple App Store?
Honest question: at what point does any joint action like that become a cartel? The US legal system isn't really equipped to deal with anything free-to-play, given that most anticompetitive action is defined by an increase in price.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
No, I think all IAP are charged under Steam's model. I think Epic are the only one who don't charge IAP, but there is a notable lack of infrastructure in place regarding their store - there is most likely an intent to charge at least 12% on those. Otherwise you can host a F2P game and pay nothing to Epic.
Steam requires all DLC and IAP to go through their payment processor (this was why EA created Origin in the first place).

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria

Man people are so dumb.

The problem is that ToS are often riddled with legally unenforceable garbage that would get laughed out of any court. Accepting the ToS legally often means nothing.

Like, this is obviously hyperbolic, but if I agreed to ToS that said company staff can break my arms if I break some rule, that's hardly gonna hold up in court.
Now, a decent ToS shouldn't pull shit thats not enforceable, sure, but I just wanted to point out that "it's in the ToS" doesn't have to mean much.

Last edited:

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
It's not just about the API though is it? It's about Apple's developer resources, which you can only access via license agreement. If Epic were to produce their own compatible developer resources then that would be OK (Oracle v Google notwithstanding) but right now Epic is using Apple's SDK to make Unreal Engine.
If you mean developer documentation, then it would not be Epic that formally uses it. Third parties would be consulting the documentation and submitting patches. If you are referring to proprietary binaries and libraries, then those would not be included with the UE source code, and would require the person building the source to have legal access to. Just to clarify here, I am not arguing that Epic can get around restrictions in order to provide macOS and iOS builds of UE, merely the source code for others to compile macOS and iOS versions themselves.

Last edited:

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that ToS are often riddled with legally unenforceable garbage that would get laughed out of any court. Accepting the ToS legally often means nothing.
There's a huge difference between "You are not allowed to sue us" clauses and "If you willingly bypass our security certifications to sneak in unapproved updates we will nuke your dev access" clauses.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's kind of the exact point Epic is trying to make. Apple shouldn't have so much control over the livelihoods of developers.

Edit: whether they are billion dollar corps or a small indie.

In this scenario, Apple and Epic have the same degree of control over the lives of people who depend on Unreal Engine. Tim Sweeney pulling a stupid PR stunt impacts people who use unreal engine when that stunt gets Epic in trouble. It's worth remembering that Epic were the one who instigated this all, with something they knew would get them booted off the platform to the point that they had a pre-prepared lawsuit and a freaking trailer for that lawsuit. Tim Sweeney knew he would be gambling with people's lives and not only did he go ahead, he went full steam ahead no brakes.

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding different payment method, is this an argument to "open" up App store to allow different payment methods?

Regarding Spotify, that is a case I support Spotify actually 100%.

The "Argument" is one I'll leave for the lawyers. Something about monopolizing and actively preventing competition.

The ideal outcome (From Epic's perspective) is for regulation to force apple to allow for external payment options for in-app purchases. That said, if we abstract ourselves from the numbers for a second (i.e the debate about whether the 30% fee should be reduced) it's actually hard to make an argument as to why they should be forced to do so within their own app store.

Apple owns the app store, which in turn has hundreds of millions of customers. Epic wants access to those customers, but doesn't want to pay for it. That doesn't really seem "fair", does it?

If Apple were to open iOS to having other App-stores, that is a sub-ideal outcome for Epic too. They absoultely, 100% would lose customers this way. Mobile audiences are incredibly fickle, and the more obstructions you put between them and the content (i.e Number of clicks) the more likely they are to bail out. Having to download a new app store, get the fortnite app, enter their billing details again etc. There's a not-insignificant number of users who simply just wouldn't be bothered to do that. Look at how their standalone android experiment went. Eventually they caved and just went with the Play store.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Epic doesn't claim the cut itself unlawful, the fact Apple doesn't allow for alternative payments or app distribution is their issue.