• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
He's right here. 100%

Consoles would not exist without the 30% fee. Apple make money on hardware, Sony and MS subsidise it.
He's not at all 100% right lol. Consoles often take a loss at launch, but not for their full lifespan. None of the current consoles are believed to have been sold at a loss in the time Fortnite has been around. Sony even said PS4 would not be like PS3 where they launched at a major loss and would be quickly equalized by the lower R&D due to using stock parts from partnerships.

Even more wrong, is that this is not even something you can generalize because the #2 console and Epic's own partner Nintendo said they have never sold Switch at a loss. So no, his justification is incorrect and hypocritical, especially considering he is saying he's ok with high developer fees to subsidize the big guys in some cases and not others, when he absolutely does not have a consistent barometer for why.

blazinglazers

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
What are the consequences for Epic winning the suit? I haven't been following that closely.
Epic and others could open stores to compete with Apple on Apple devices, and could offer competitive cuts (take less than 30%) to developers, or allow developers options to handle their own mtx / subscription payments, giving developers a larger profit margin.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone who keeps popping in with the "Epic has no clue what it's doing" hot takes needs to take a minute and get educated.

Christine Varney, along multiple other notable antitrust experts is Epic's counsel.

Epic has this whole thing researched and orchestrated out many more moves than you aware, and it's much more sophisticated than most (if not all of us) can possibly appreciate. I'd advise caution against jumping to conclusions about the viability of the case and/or the effect of each new blow in the PR war. Basically all of us understand less than we think we do.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't Apple hurt their case when they allowed Netflix to bypass paying through Apple. So they aren't applying their rules equally to everyone.

I don't have an IOS device but didn't Netflix just remove all in app purchases in the IOS app forcing people to buy Netflix from the netflix website direct and not via the app

This doesn't break IOS terms.

Epic created their own payment service in app which breaks TOS

Dmonzy

Oct 27, 2017
They would just change to another engine like unity engine
Many developers have invested a lot of resources in their UE builds. Simply "switching over" to a different engine could cause less-funded teams to give up completely. Not to mention, certain things that UE does well Unity does not and vice versa. The developer's ideas may not be feasible in the Unity environment.

Hopefully this is a giant bluff by Apple to get Epic to calm down, but if they go through with this then there will be some pretty far reaching consequences.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Just imagine Microsoft having not only final say in what runs on Windows PC but also taking a cut for every transaction done on one.

Do you guys think that's fine? Microsoft spends a lot of cash on R&D to develop windows.
Are you implying that Apple's market share is the same as Windows globally (or even just here in the US)?

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
So many hot takes in here about "fuck epic lol get dunked on"

But remember that companies do not want to spend money ever, and ideally would love to have infinite income if that were somehow possible.

By opening up an anti-trust lawsuit in this scorched earth method, Epic are using their funds to fight for better App Store terms not only for themselves, but for UE devs and ANY small dev regardless of the engine that they use to publish their games onto the Apple ecosystem for much less than the 30% cut that is still archaically standard in the industry.

This is 100% pro consumer and pro developer. Epic didn't go into this without knowing that Apple would also potentially delist them in their entirety. This is calculated risk that has doubtlessly been in plans for months and has some serious legal competency behind it.

You don't have to like Epic as a company, but it's fucking dim witted to want them to lose just because they've decided to take on a company worth trillions that continues to fuck smaller business. Get out of here with that schoolboy attitude.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
What are the consequences for Epic winning the suit? I haven't been following that closely.
Developers would be able to use competing payment processors/stores on walled off smartphones. Apple would need to make their payment processor opt-out on the app store, or allow competing app stores.

I don't think this will effect consoles, the courts have different opinions on anti-trust when its a general computing device that everyone has VS a niche product.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Epic knew this was a possibility and still went through with it. Apple may have made the decision, but Epic was perfectly fine with doing all this knowing that the devs they support would be the ones really affected. They were perfectly fine with using Unreal devs as pawns here

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
A lot of games on the iOS App Store and on Mac were made with Unreal Engine. Epic can no longer test Unreal Engine on iOS devices, and won't get early access to new versions of Mac OS to test their engine on, or up to date SDKs.

That's a medium term issue for Epic and not a huge threat overall but a potential massive one for developers obviously. Seems extremely short sighted by Apple to retaliate against an unrelated part of Epic's business

Epic knew this was a possibility and still went through with it. Apple may have made the decision, but Epic was perfectly fine with doing all this knowing that the devs they support would be the ones really affected. They were perfectly fine with using Unreal devs as pawns here

I doubt Epic thought Apple would attack an unrelated part of their business. I mean would you think the same if Google refused to show search results of UE in retaliation?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I don't know if Epic has a case here (presumably they think they do if they took the risk), but I am personally of the opinion that phones are essential devices and the barriers to entering the market are high enough that all major players should be forced to provide a route for third party software to bypass their stores
android does

why people keep buying apple products ill never understand

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
There is no way Sony has sold the PS4 at a loss this whole generation. They made a huge profit on hardware. Maybe initially but overall not sold at a loss.

Yep. It's a rediculous argument with both Sony and MS especially since they are both massive companies that make tons of money in other ways besides video games, much like Apple. I can maybe buy the "support the gaming industry cuz they subsidize consoles" argument if we were talking about Nintendo here.

Choosing to come after Apple while excusing away Google, MS, and Sony is rediculous and short sighted. It doesnt matter what high profile antitrust lawyer they have, there is no winning this against Apple. Period.

Jun 19, 2020
So no UE for iOS and Mac? Thats a bit drastic of Apple. Cutting them off the store and deleting Fortnight is okay but this is a bit over the top.

Karanlos

Oct 27, 2017
He's right here. 100%

Consoles would not exist without the 30% fee. Apple make money on hardware, Sony and MS subsidise it.
Also the two are different. Phones are becoming essential for everyday life as you keep most of your life on a phone while consoles are just past time and not essential for anyone to function in everyday life.

iOS is such a large portion of the market that Apple deciding who gets to sell apps and who don't makes or breaks businesses. Microsoft didn't get to control their platform and Google didn't either. I really really hope at least EU does something as having the largest market closed off and governed by a single entity is IMO not healthy.
It's not uncommon for Apple or Google to punish developers without saying why the apps violate the TOS. Being cut off from this essential market because they deemed it to violate their TOS or even just decide they don't want it is IMO bad.
Apple even forbids apps from mentioning competing OS in their apps which is laughable.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The Verge said:
Apple seems to have come at Epic with every possible violation of the agreement it could find. The company cites not just the "Epic direct payment" feature — which kicked off this whole conflict — but also a lack of descriptiveness in Fortnite's app update notes, saying it used too much of a "generic statement." Apple sent its warning letter on August 14th, giving Epic until August 28th to make the changes.
Oh, so most of the apps on the app store then?

General statements on patch notes is a scourge but deal your iron fist equally.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I think epic could have absolutely taken this entire issue to court without trying to go total war and then getting dunked on. This seems like a bizarre self own.

MattEnth

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA

But remember that companies do not want to spend money ever, and ideally would love to have infinite income if that were somehow possible.

By opening up an anti-trust lawsuit in this scorched earth method, Epic are using their funds to fight for better App Store terms not only for themselves, but for UE devs and ANY small dev regardless of the engine that they use to publish their games onto the Apple ecosystem for much less than the 30% cut that is still archaically standard in the industry.

This is 100% pro consumer and pro developer. Epic didn't go into this without knowing that Apple would also potentially delist them in their entirety. This is calculated risk that has doubtlessly been in plans for months and has some serious legal competency behind it.

You don't have to like Epic as a company, but it's fucking dim witted to want them to lose just because they've decided to take on a company worth trillions that continues to fuck smaller business. Get out of here with that schoolboy attitude.

This. Completely agree.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017

IIRC they don't want a lower fee, they want to open iOS to have their own store on it.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Billionaires fighting is very entertaining

The average joe's net value is probably closer to Epic's value, even if it's in billions, than Epic's value compared to Apple.

For Apple the value of epic is closer to a roundup error that shows as 0$ to them. Something that costs 1000.01$, will for any average joe just look like 1000$.

ScubaSteve693

Banned
Mar 26, 2020
So basically they knew all this would happen from Apple and happily went ahead knowing it could damage the livelihoods of people that use their tools on mobile all in the name of getting a bit more profit out of fortnite.
You're doing the same thing everyone here who hates Epic is doing, thinking that this decision would only help Epic profit from it. This would help any and all developers who want to put their applications on iOS and Android. There are already applications on these devices that are not forced to use Apple Payment Services, so if you aren't going to have it be done the same way across the board for every application, why have it there in the first place? Either make it a sweeping rule that EVERYONE needs to follow or open that shit up.

Faabulous

Oct 27, 2017
Are you implying that Apple's market share is the same as Windows globally (or even just here in the US)?

Does it need to be?
They have 1/4 of the global mobile market, should they be able to keep leveraging network effects when they are this big?

I personally believe no platform should have that power, Apple even less so they are not exactly the small guy with a couple thousand users doing this to survive.

Nov 13, 2017
User banned (1 day): Drive-by metacommentary trolling
The Epic bootlicking in this thread.

tenor.gif

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

👍

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It really sucks, that many smaller developers get dragged into this, but what was Apple supposed to do? Nothing? Give Epic a bigger cut? If they don't do something now, wouldnt that just encourage more companies to start breaking the rules?

Oct 29, 2017
It isn't a question of turning on anyone. It's a question of third parties getting by financially. If I'm making a game and deciding right now what engine to use, I would not choose Unreal. No one would barring re-learning costs. It's objectively a needless financial risk compared with Unity or the like. Companies are out to maximize profit, not pick sides in a fight. And the money now leads away from Epic until the lawsuits are done. That's the point.

No company will join a "civil war," sacrificing profit for the chance at a fairer marketplace. The people leading the companies have a fiduciary duty (read: can be sued if they break it) to make money, and they will keep trying to do so in the new environment. Companies don't ever truly take moral stands. Only financial risks.
I'm strictly referring to third parties that are already using Unreal on released games/content on the marketplace that rely on Epic's support for their engine they're already committed to using.

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe Epic thought they could get away with this.
Apple is the type of company that doesn what it wants. They even sell stands for hundreds of dollars last I heard.

Fortnite fans don't matter to them.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018

Yep, they're now weaponizing developers who rely on their engine, which accounts for 25% of the engine market, aside from weaponizing Fortnite fans.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Many developers have invested a lot of resources in their UE builds. Simply "switching over" to a different engine could cause less-funded teams to give up completely. Not to mention, certain things that UE does well Unity does not and vice versa. The developer's ideas may not be feasible in the Unity environment.
oh yeah 100% agree on it, im guessing alot of games would be cancelled and some would be able to pull it through, but if i was an indie dev that was creating an game or app in unreal engine for mobile, then i would shit my pants right now

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone who keeps popping in with the "Epic has no clue what it's doing" hot takes needs to take a minute and get educated.

Christine Varney, along multiple other notable antitrust experts is Epic's counsel.

Epic has this whole thing researched and orchestrated out many more moves than you aware, and it's much more sophisticated than most (if not all of us) can possibly appreciate. I'd advise caution against jumping to conclusions about the viability of the case and/or the effect of each new blow in the PR war. Basically all of us understand less than we think we do.

Yep.

More insidious, is that the effect on customers and clients is also well calculated by Epic - - everything from the hastag campaign roping in the public and using the Fortnite fanbase in their fight, right down to detrimental effects on developers using UE.

This is absolutely a corporate / political fight, for corporate / political gain primarily.
They give no shits about anyone else.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I absolutely do think it will benefit consumers. I think consumers are enormously benefited by having that 30% cut be split between them and the developers, rather than Goolge or Apple.

I'm sorry, but that's not what's going to happen in the long-term. I mean, just look at the current situation: Epic is suing Apple because they want more profit. They break their TOS. You think those exact same people won't extract as much profit as possible from consumers in the future? Don't get distracted by the current price decrease. That's just PR that can and will be changed in the future.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

It would be really something if Epic steps up and compensated developers for damages while they're getting their license back. That would be a power move.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really have a stake in this fight, as I don't play games on my phone or play Fortnite. I mainly feel bad for small companies that get fucked by UE getting banned.

But honestly Epic should have known this was going to happen. They picked a fight with one of the richest companies on Earth, fighting the good fight or not this is what will come of it.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Company under investigation for monopolistic practices acts monopolistic. How can anyone think Apple looks good here?
I think it's worse for Epic. They knowingly broke the company policies about purchases, with a video and lawsuit ready to go, to mobilise thousands of child fans to go at Apple so they could make more money. Abhorrent. I am not saying Apple is right, but Epic get everything coming to them from this.

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
The type of relief Epic are seeking requires that they be a named party. Plus, either way, I cannot think of too many candidates that fit the bill to bring forth such a lawsuit. This isn't a similar situation to Gawker.
I read most of the lawsuit and it didn't seem to be anything that was unique to Epic and it used several examples of other companies e.g (Microsoft with xCloud). A lot of it was about possibilities that are harmed by the current system and reasons why the behavious is anticompetivtive and preempting reasons Apple will use to explain it away. They were able to use explicit exampless of how the system harms them in Fortnite, but again that applies to every company doing IAP. Maybe I missed a part but it feels to me that any IAP user could have brought this lawsuit.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Also the two are different. Phones are becoming essential for everyday life as you keep most of your life on a phone while consoles are just past time and not essential for anyone to function in everyday life.

iOS is such a large portion of the market that Apple deciding who gets to sell apps and who don't makes or breaks businesses. Microsoft didn't get to control their platform and Google didn't either. I really really hope at least EU does something as having the largest market closed off and governed by a single entity is IMO not healthy.
It's not uncommon for Apple or Google to punish developers without saying why the apps violate the TOS. Being cut off from this essential market because they deemed it to violate their TOS or even just decide they don't want it is IMO bad.
Apple even forbids apps from mentioning competing OS in their apps which is laughable.

People can't see nuance in my experience. Everything is the same. The iphone is basically a computer that billions have in their pocket and Apple absolutely should not get to control it the way they do and get 30% of everything.

There would be utter outrage if MS starting blocking Apps from Windows and demanding 30% of everything.

Whether you like epic or not as consumers it's in our interests to have Apple firmly put in place.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I think they would have been much better off with their approach, too, had they not had the entire process mapped & planned out, including that video and its galvanization of its fanbase with the #freefortnite nonsense. Their goodwill has been kind of shot lately, and them pouring so much emotion into their submitted documents and also mentioning their attempts to get the EGS onto Apple devices has people side-eyeing their entire approach. Them wielding their fanbase and Unreal devs in such a cavalier manner is frankly absurd.