• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Rad, small UE developers are going to get fucked over in this pissing contest

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Not sure why Epic thought their obviously planned PR stunt would not have consequences

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Fuck Apple. It's kind of insane they can pick and choose who the rules apply to. Unfortunately I don't think losing Fortnite is enough to hurt Apples bottom line. They won't play ball till that's effected.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
I'm gonna be pissed of Epic wins the court cases. Using the outrage of a bunch of kids to generate enough PR to try and force Apple to treat them special. C'mon man.

4brkps.jpg

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Epic may get some help long term from regulation, but for now they broke totally legal terms and Apple made it clear that they do not need Epic the way Epic needs them.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt this will impact Unreal Engine very much since you can just compile it from source yourself, the prebuilt signed distributions and their launcher is probably getting nuked here.

But Apple is really going nuclear here, revoking their organization account seems a bit messed up.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Amusing to see people clutching pearls about Epic weaponizing their audience while Apple is currently benefiting from slave/child labor.

nostradukemas

Nov 16, 2019
For real though: I get, theoretically at least, Epic suing over pricing or whatever. But if a store decides they don't want to sell your product... can you sue them for that? Like if amazon told Samsung to piss off, could Samsung sue and say you *must* sell our wares?
I think the crux of Epic's argument is that the only way to sell your products to a billion devices is to follow the rules one shopkeeper decides.
If I want a Samsung device in my home and Amazon boots them, I still have the option to buy a Samsung device elsewhere. If I want a Samsung app, say Bixby, on my iPhone, and Apple boots them, I have no other store to get it from.
The initial counter argument is "You can get an Android phone" but Epic's argument is Apple is monopolistic in the iOS marketplace, not the mobile phone app marketplace.
I'm certainly not qualified to decide if Epic has a legally sound argument, but that seems to be their argument. And it would seem "you made us mad, so we're taking away your ability to even develop in our marketplace" falls right into line with Epic's argument that Apple has a monopoly over the iOS marketplace

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly adorable that Epic thinks Apple "needs" them in any way shape or form.
That's precisely the message being sent. Any ideas that Apple would capitulate under whatever leverage Epic thought they had are completely toast now. Apple is telling them "you have no leverage, we will drop you and everything related to you and we will not care".

Man this escalated quickly.

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
Epic went and hired very high priced antitrust lawyers specifically for this litigation.
I hope its no win no fee lol
What lawyer tells you to blantantly break TOS, go on a PR war and destroy your platform for a near 0 chance of winning? And even if they "win" and Apple gives some concessions for sideloading etc. there is still no reason to not think they wont bar Fortnite from the store.

Oct 26, 2017
If UE4 is indeed being banned from Apple's stores, then get ready for a mass cancellation of iOS versions of UE4 games. I find this to hurt Apple more than Epic, but that's just my limited understanding and view on the subject.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, they intentionally poked Apple and had a prepared marketing campaign for when apple clapped back. Methinks they didn't anticipate apple would take it so far so quickly.
You-come-at-the-king-you-best-not-miss.jpg

Is this sweeney's doing? Im blaming sweeney.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

I'm not sure what Epic thought they would win by pulling this stunt. It feels like Epic's ego just ballooned out of control, and they are now dealing with the blowback and embarrassment.

It would be interesting if Apple just refuses to work with them after this. It would be kind of a petty/stupid move on Apple's part to completely stonewall them, but they would also be just in doing so.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
You want to take on The Evil Empire, you better expect them to do Evil Empire things. That being said, I do wonder what the court will say about this.

If Apple can point to a clause in its developer ToS that Epic has broken -- and I would assume it can -- then it's hard to imagine Epic coming up with a convincing counter-argument as to why those rules shouldn't be enforced. Epic seems to be banking on the popularity of both Fortnite and Unreal Engine itself for a ruling in its favour, but it seems to me -- insert obligatory "IANAL" disclaimer -- that the best outcome Epic can reasonably hope for is that the courts rule largely in Apple's favour but with the caveat that Epic's developer accounts be restored for the sole purpose of updating Unreal Engine SDKs.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Epic may get some help long term from regulation, but for now they broke totally legal terms and Apple made it clear that they do not need Epic the way Epic needs them.
yep. epic violated terms they agreed to. not sure if apple did anything wrong to epic, in this case. if epic wanted to put pressure on apple to change their rules (which... good luck with that) this wasn't the way to go about it.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
As i mentioned in the other thread I wonder if Google will follow suit.

I presume both Google and Apple will be playing out similar approaches to this

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Violating a TOS isn't illegal though. Not that I know of anyway.
It doesn't have to be illegal for the owner of the service to require access to the service to be on their terms. Apple writes the Terms of Service and you cannot break them and keep accessing their services. Especially when as of right now, there's no legal judgment saying Apple has illegal terms. Epic was hoping to change that with a stunt, but for the moment they are fucked until courts try to regulate something.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
This is terrible news for indie studios making Unreal Engine games (and there's a lot of them)

Apple really doesn't give a fuck.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Epic's lawyers should be disbarred if they signed off on this nonsense. Like WTF were they thinking?

There was almost assuredly months and months of consultation with their legal team before they made any moves. You just don't pick a fight with Apple on a whim. This is calculated. They were biding their time.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
That's precisely the message being sent. Any ideas that Apple would capitulate under whatever leverage Epic thought they had are completely toast now. Apple is telling them "you have no leverage, we will drop you and everything related to you and we will not care".

Man this escalated quickly.
I feel bad for everyone affected, not a fan of Apple in the slightest but damn they do not mess around

There was almost assuredly months and months of consultation with their legal team before they made any moves. You just don't pick a fight with Apple on a whim. This is calculated. They were biding their time.

They had a pre-made video in place to rile up their fans against apple. It was obviously very premeditated