• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I find it to be convenient, but ultimately I could live without it and I probably would not buy it for the full-price (I was fortunate enough to be able to buy one at a significantly reduced rate, and it was an essential purchase for me at the time).

The main things I use it for are fitness tracking, listening to music, notifications, and setting quick (and relatively discreet) timers. I swim very often (daily, or five times a week) and I find it to be very accurate in tracking my lengths, timing, strokes, and heart rate. I can't comment on the accuracy of the calories burnt indicator, but the others are very accurate in my experience. The 'auto-set' feature is particularly convenient, and I find it always picks up the stroke correctly. One thing I don't like is that I find the health app doesn't make it very easy to track or compare the progress of my swims, but in the activity tracker you can at least get a break-down of times and strokes per length as well as the heart rate for individual workouts. This isn't so much an issue with the Watch itself as it is the health app.

For music, I find it is pretty handy to be able to select tracks from the watch or play music directly from the watch if I don't have my phone nearby (e.g. if I have it charging elsewhere in my home, I'll generally have headphones and my watch on me so I can just play directly from that and let my phone charge). I do have headphones with the W1 chip, so I can't speak for the connection quality on other bluetooth headphones. For me, this is handiest in a situation where my phone's not very accessible, but these occasions are rare enough that it's not really a major 'plus' for me; I carry my phone around often enough (and use wired earphones just because they're cheaper and easier to replace) that its generally just the convenience of being able to select songs or lower the volume from my wrist that gets the most usage.

The feature I use most is, as with others in the thread, the ability to get notifications immediately and quickly check them. While this can be nice, I find that it is also quite distracting. When I'm not using the watch, I don't check for notifications that regularly and it allows me to check them 'in my time' and I feel it puts a bit more distance between social media and myself. When I'm wearing the watch, knowing I've a notification makes me more likely to check what it is (even if that's just glancing at my wrist) and makes me more frequently take away focus from what I'm doing. Obviously it's convenient when the notification is about something important, but I find that's much rarer than a notification that isn't as time-sensitive. This can also be so easily replaced just by the fact that you have a phone which also gets notifications that even though it adds a little convenience I really don't find it that beneficial or that drastic of a change.

Overall, if you'll use the workout features often (if not, I personally would say not to buy it, only because getting notifications immediately generally isn't that big of a deal), and you think you'll really benefit from the convenience of being aware that you have notifications immediately, it might be worth a purchase, but I wouldn't let other features really sway you too much (as nothing else will get used nearly as often as the notifications or fitness tracker) and if you wouldn't use or benefit from either, I would not recommend it for the price.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Pretty much echoing all the reasons why you'd have one (active lifestyle, good for work/social notifications, a bit more hands off the phone). I've had a series 1 & 2 and the Apple Watch has been amazingly convenient. Again, it isn't a must have, but I really don't see myself letting it go any time soon. Plus using it for contactless payments all the time is the best.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely feel less tied to my phone, i am no longer constantly looking at my phone to check for notifications. and watch notifications are not distracting, your wrist vibrates. you are made aware of it and no one else around you is.

Another good point.
Whenever i'm at home and not actively using my phone, it's pretty much always sitting on my charger - and i still don't miss any important notifications, as the watch stays connected to the phone throughout our apartment. That way, my phone's pretty much always fully charged.
Another (albeit minor) convenience.

The feature I use most is, as with others in the thread, the ability to get notifications immediately and quickly check them. While this can be nice, I find that it is also quite distracting. When I'm not using the watch, I don't check for notifications that regularly and it allows me to check them 'in my time' and I feel it puts a bit more distance between social media and myself. When I'm wearing the watch, knowing I've a notification makes me more likely to check what it is (even if that's just glancing at my wrist) and makes me more frequently take away focus from what I'm doing. Obviously it's convenient when the notification is about something important, but I find that's much rarer than a notification that isn't as time-sensitive. This can also be so easily replaced just by the fact that you have a phone which also gets notifications that even though it adds a little convenience I really don't find it that beneficial or that drastic of a change.

first thing any new user should really do is customize the notifications they get on the watch. (while still getting them on the phone)
I have pretty much everything but iMessage, WhatsApp and Phone Calls turned off. Oh, and also my private - spam free - email account goes to my watch, while my spam-laden 2nd email account and work email stay on the phone.

That's a feature that other watches can't really duplicate, since Apple doesn't allow that kind of granularity. Like, my girlfriend's prior Watch, a Garmin Vivoactive HR had 2 settings: Receive phone calls, Receive notifications. If she wanted to - say - not have her watch buzz because people were having conversations in a WhatsApp group, she'd have to turn off these kinds of notifications entirely (i.e. on the phone as well). IIRC, there's no "buzz phone, but not watch" on a per-app basis with iOS (for anything than the AppleWatch that is)

Last edited:

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Yep, spent the $1 to buy Outcast myself after I discovered the lack of podcast support. Have been unable to try it yet as I am waiting for stock to return on Apple Airpods in my area and have no Bluetooth headphones to try it with in the meantime. Glad to hear it does indeed mostly work well though. Money well spent by me if so!

Have read about the issues with Now Playing. Supposedly volume control is the core problem?

Yep, volume control is the main thing. It also doesn't allow you to pause/unpause by tapping your AirPods, and sometimes Now Playing will override Outcast and either stop it from playing or reset the podcast entirely.

Oct 27, 2017
first thing any new user should really do is customize the notifications they get on the watch. (while still getting them on the phone)
I have pretty much everything but iMessage, WhatsApp and Phone Calls turned off. Oh, and also my private - spam free - email account goes to my watch, while my spam-laden 2nd email account and work email stay on the phone.
I've already customised notifications on the Watch to be the most important (to me; Mail, WhatsApp, Messages, Phone Calls, Messenger) but I still find it to be highly distracting. Turning off notifications from applications that spam you with them reduces the level of distraction it causes certainly, but is not necessarily going to stop it from feeling distracting to everybody, or do enough to add a degree of separation which may necessarily be desired (particularly when the possibility of receiving notifications being a double-edged sword is already a concern of the OP)

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, volume control is the main thing. It also doesn't allow you to pause/unpause by tapping your AirPods, and sometimes Now Playing will override Outcast and either stop it from playing or reset the podcast entirely.

Yikes, these sound irritating. Can you pause by taking an airpod out of your ear still?

noctix

Oct 27, 2017
if you are in apple eco system. aka have a mac book, iphone etc etc. its pretty good. I have apple pay setup and it is pretty amazing. it's pretty good fitness watch as well. App support is meh... it's a good smart watch, i wear it daily and i believe i use it heavily.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I had one when they first came out for about a month, and sold it. It's nice and all, but my fitbit did just as much of what I wanted to use the AW for so figured I would go back to that and wearing traditional watches.

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I own a series 0, my girlfriend owns a series 3 (without LTE) - and we both love it.
I'm not convinced of the LTE functionality, especially given the extra monthly costs.

It's just a very convenient timepiece that aids with notification triage, allows for media playback controls and is, at the same time, a rather decent sports watch. - neither of us really uses any third party apps (apart from me using Nike+ Running and 7-minutes-workout) - we're both physically active, so it having smart / fitness functionality, while not being a clunky sports-watch and thereby being valid for everyday wear is a definite plus.
It's definitely not a necessity, but if my watch were to break / if i were to lose it, i'd buy a new one in a heartbeat.

My gf is a P.E. teacher, she prefers controlling the Bluetooth speaker via her watch instead of her phone during class.
Also, she was able to make calls during a school ski trip straight from her watch - while still wearing her gloves - with her phone being tucked away in her backpack.

Series 2 and upwards also has GPS, so you can use it as a running watch and just preload music onto the watch and connect it to bluetooth sports earbuds and run without your phone.

I'd definitely wait for the hardware refresh - we're mid cycle.
Also, i'd go for the cheapest aluminum model. Or maybe the Nike model, those perforated silicone bands are great during workouts) - definitely go looking for aftermarket bands if you want a leather or chain-link band.

Yeah, like I mentioned in the OP, probably leaning towards a 38mm aluminum model if I do get one. And after reading the feedback here, I'd probably just get the non-LTE version and put some of the money saved towards a nicer set of bluetooth earbuds and/or a charging stand.

I am kind of iffy about it being mid-cycle for an Apple product, but I could always donate it to a family member and upgrade if the new models later this year are significantly improved/changed.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
It's really not when you consider how much tech is in there and how it looks. A good looking dumb watch from a quality manufacturer is easily above $400.
It's also not a lot for "a watch". I mean, it is if you compare it to a Fossil, Casio or a Swatch, sure. - but it's neither a delicate piece of swiss craftsmanship made of precious metals, nor is it an accessory that merely tells you the current time. It's in between, both in functionality but also price.

My main gripe with it is the fact that after ... maybe 4-5 years, your battery won't last you a full day. It's probably the device with the shortest hardware lifespan and no way to extend it.
Like, realistically, you charge your watch once a day, that's close to one full charging cycle per day.
It's rated to still have 80% capacity after 1000 charges, which should be around 3 years of daily use. - Every day, my launch model constantly nags me about being below 10% shortly before going to bed. Gonna upgrade to a Series 4 at release.
Luckily, Series 2 / 3 had increased battery capacity over Series 0 (~200 -> 270mAH on the 38mm, ~250 --> 340mAH on the 42mm, roughly 35% more) , so the moment where you can barely make it through a full day shouldn't come quite as fast with these newer models.

Yeah, like I mentioned in the OP, probably leaning towards a 38mm aluminum model if I do get one. And after reading the feedback here, I'd probably just get the non-LTE version and put some of the money saved towards a nicer set of bluetooth earbuds and/or a charging stand.

I am kind of iffy about it being mid-cycle for an Apple product, but I could always donate it to a family member and upgrade if the new models later this year are significantly improved/changed.

i have the black 38mm because i found the 42mm a bit too bulky and in-your-face.
(bought it with the black sports band, but i got the blue / black Nike Sports band since then)

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Returned my Series 3 before the 14 day window. Glorified notification vibration device. Nothing of value for me in my life. My workouts are Jiu-Jitsu and MMA. Something you don't have a watch on for.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Another good point.
Whenever i'm at home and not actively using my phone, it's pretty much always sitting on my charger - and i still don't miss any important notifications, as the watch stays connected to the phone throughout our apartment. That way, my phone's pretty much always fully charged.
Another (albeit minor) convenience.

I work in an office and my phone now sits on a corner of my desk all day, ignored. sometimes i forget to grab it when i go do something else. it feels good lol. like the leash from my hand to my phone has been cut.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is pretty useful for me, but I won't say they are for everyone.

I get hundreds or texts, emails, and phone calls a day at work. And I drive a lot. It is super convenient to be able to just glance at my watch every 2 minutes when I get a notification instead of having to fish my phone out and see if it is urgent and requires an immediate response.

For that reason alone it is hard for me to go back without one.

Apple pay is extremely convenient but I am not sure I would buy one just for that.

The exercise stuff is the other reason I can think of to get one.

Doesn't really have many other compelling uses, but it is aces at those 3

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's an old thread but didn't want to make a new one, I've pretty much decided on getting an Apple Watch. I have a 2017 Fossil smartwatch at the moment which is still nice but worked much better when I had Android and lost most of its functionality when I got an iPhone. The thing is I'm not sure which version to get.

In Canada my carrier doesn't supporting the Apple Watch and I'm definitely not switching. So I'm either going to get the base sport aluminum version or the stainless steel. But is it really worth to pay twice the price for stainless steel? It's $469 CAD vs $859. I'd like to pair it either way with some nice steel or metal straps. One thing I actually like more about the base model is that it doesn't have the red dot.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's an old thread but didn't want to make a new one, I've pretty much decided on getting an Apple Watch. I have a 2017 Fossil smartwatch at the moment which is still nice but worked much better when I had Android and lost most of its functionality when I got an iPhone. The thing is I'm not sure which version to get.

In Canada my carrier doesn't supporting the Apple Watch and I'm definitely not switching. So I'm either going to get the base sport aluminum version or the stainless steel. But is it really worth to pay twice the price for stainless steel? It's $469 CAD vs $859. I'd like to pair it either way with some nice steel or metal straps. One thing I actually like more about the base model is that it doesn't have the red dot.
The Milanese loop / Link Bracelet look bad even on the silver aluminium watches because of the vastly different materials. So if you want to wear those (or straps such as the leather or Hermes band which have stainless steel connectors), get the SS watch. It also looks much less like a "gadget" due to the more Watch-like materials (Sapphire glass, stainless steel body) imo.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
I could never go without one now. I bought the original one day 1 but sold it after 6 months or so when I switched to android for a bit. Last November I bought a series 1 to see if it was worth it for me now and it really is. I'm getting a series 4 in September or whenever the refresh.

If you need access to quick info then it is invaluable. My calendar is incredibly important for my work and having it on my wrist all day is amazing. I can see my next appointment and every appointment after. Notifications are also very important to me so getting them to my wrist also helps my productivity a lot. Being able to not have to use my phone in order to make sure I don't miss anything is quite freeing too. The health tracking is also great, I feel like it has made my wife and I take more notice and be healthier.

Now we have a smart house it is incredibly useful too. I have Siri on my wrist to control everything in the house and it's a breeze.

I think there are plenty of people who wouldn't find a use for it but if you do have a use for it then it is REALLY useful. I don't think there is much of an in between.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017

I think this comes down to personal preference but I have a aluminium watch and one of the classic buckle leather straps is my go to. I don't think the connector makes it look odd or out of place. On the space gray I'm sure it does but on the silver aluminium I think it fits in perfectly. I don't think I would get a stainless steel next time.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I was hesitant on it (waited till series 3) but once you have it it's hard to go back to life without it. It's a lot of little conveniences that add up. And I don't even care about the fitness shit outside of closing my low goal'd rings.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User warned: inflammatory, needlessly aggressive language.
No. They are overpriced junk. And everyone i have met with one is an utter cunt.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I have the Hermes edition Apple Watch and I love it. I get complimented on the band often - so it's stylish like a "real watch" but you get all the functionality of the Apple Watch.

Oct 27, 2017
I find watches comparable to headphones in terms of cost. By the time you get to the price point of the "trendy" brands, you'd be better served buying into a genuinely great headphone brand. Specifically thinking of something like Beats vs a good pair of Bose or Sennheiser etc.

I spent a decent chunk of money on an Apple Watch and straps to make it look more like a "nice watch", but ended up selling it all. In hindsight if I'd spent that same money on a really nice "proper" watch I'd probably still be wearing it now and for years to come.

Functionality wise they're nice but non-essential. I'm quite impulsive with cycling through different tech and the Apple Watch is one of the only pieces of tech I've ever owned that I don't even think about replacing after getting rid. I genuinely forget I've ever owned one until I see threads like this.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
I was on the fence about getting one for a long time but decided to splash out on a Series 1 about a year ago. I've loved it since day one and at this point can't imagine not having it. It's not the type of device that radically changes the way you live/work but it's like life gets a QoL patch when you wear it. The activity app, Siri, breathe app, notifications, all come together to make a neat little package that I feel genuinely improves my day-to-day.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, I'd recommend it to anyone with an iPhone. Is it something you need? Definitely not. But is it something that makes for a good QoL update? Certainly.

Aside from reading notifications without having to take your phone out all the time, I enjoy having Siri on me (since I use voice commands to control things like my home's lighting constantly, just dimming and ultimately turning off lights from my bed at night alone is a godsend tbh), I enjoy the health tracking (must hit my 750 active daily calorie goal) and really like the stand reminders at work so I don't spend hours behind my desk without getting up. It's definitely improved my bad back now that I actively get up and stretch every hour. I like being able to control my music and podcasts during my walks on the Watch, especially given the limited controls on my true wireless buds, just quickly skipping a track or adjusting the volume with the crown is great. I also really enjoy having my Apple TV remote on my wrist, strangely enough, since I leave the remote laying around at impossible places all the time and having to find and retrieve it just to give a quick command is a hassle. Also, Authy on my wrist is great since I lose track of my phone as I move around the house and I have quite a number of 2FA accounts I need to enter regularly. Unlocking my Mac at work and at home with the Apple Watch automatically is also something minor that's just nice to have. It's just one of those QoL things where you don't really need to own it, but once you do it just helps you out in certain ways.

Series 3 is great for battery life, since I don't do active workout tracking with GPS, since I do daily walks and those are tracked accurately enough without starting a workout, I get about 2,5 days worth of battery life. So I put it on a charger every two days when I take a bath at about 30% left. It charges to 100% in the hour or so I spend in there and I pop it back on.

All in all, very satisfied and I wouldn't really want to give it up anymore. It certainly is a way better experience than my previous Android Wear watches.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Absolutely they are IF....and a big if you are into fitness. I'm in the best shape of my life because of my apple watch. If you are not into fitness and working out they are a waste of money in my opinion.

Also I guess I'm an utter cunt according to the poster a few posts up since I own one. Nice post!

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
No. They are overpriced junk. And everyone i have met with one is an utter cunt.
Love you too.

To answer Drewton's question, I think you should go into an Apple Store and try them both on. I am also in Canada, so I've felt the pain of that price difference. I ended up vastly preferring the look of the Stainless Steel, so I went that route and haven't looked back.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
best fitness tracker by far. as a smart watch I can't attest to much as I am still on the TERRIBLY slow OG (not even series 1). Upgrading to this fall's model. Can't wait to actually see what more I Can get out of it.

I do do some Siri stuff and whatnot that is great.. but in general the speed is so bad on the OG I haven't tried doing anything significant with it besides timers, Workout, Siri commands (HomeKit), notification, etc.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
For me, I need a Smart Watch because I never hear or feel my phone while it's in my pocket - the watch means I don't miss calls or messages. But also, it's just convenient to not have to pull out my phone unless it's truly a message I want to see - the watch lets me see messages (or at least the beginning of them) as they come in just by glancing at my wrist.

Note, I don't actually run any apps myself except for the timer (it's really useful to go "Hey Siri, set a timer for 38 minutes").

So I'm either going to get the base sport aluminum version or the stainless steel. But is it really worth to pay twice the price for stainless steel? It's $469 CAD vs $859. I'd like to pair it either way with some nice steel or metal straps. One thing I actually like more about the base model is that it doesn't have the red dot.
Stainless steel is quite nice, it makes it feel more premium (and heavy). But...when I upgraded from my OG Apple Watch to Series 3, I switched to the Space Grey (black) aluminum model and added the Space Black Milanese Loop band, which is a band made from woven stainless steel, and I love it. Admittedly, that band is pricey ($259 CA), but it doesn't look out of place with the aluminum watch case, if you want to go black.

Last edited:

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Stainless steel is quite nice, it makes it feel more premium (and heavy). But...when I upgraded from my OG Apple Watch to Series 3, I switched to the Space Grey (black) aluminum model and added the Space Black Milanese Loop band, which is a band made from woven stainless steel, and I love it. Admittedly, that band is pricey ($259 CA), but it doesn't look out of place with the aluminum watch case, if you want to go black.

Alternatively, buy one from aliexpress for 5 USD.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Love you too.

To answer Drewton's question, I think you should go into an Apple Store and try them both on. I am also in Canada, so I've felt the pain of that price difference. I ended up vastly preferring the look of the Stainless Steel, so I went that route and haven't looked back.

Ha!

Love you x

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Was surprised to see this bumped. Anyway, my personal decision ended up being to wait and see what the new models later this year will be like - money ended up being tighter than I anticipated.

Otherwise in the short-term I'm going to get a second SSD for my laptop (to replace the 2.5" HDD - it has an m.2 SSD but at 117GB formatted that's too small for my needs). Gonna grab a 500GB Samsung one.

I'm also saving up for a full on gaming PC tower slowly - want to drop about $1200-$1500 on that.

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
It's convenient but I'd be perfectly fine without it, since I forget to actually use it some days. Got my series 1 a while back for a great price so I can't complain. Probably would have never bought it at full price though.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The Milanese loop / Link Bracelet look bad even on the silver aluminium watches because of the vastly different materials. So if you want to wear those (or straps such as the leather or Hermes band which have stainless steel connectors), get the SS watch. It also looks much less like a "gadget" due to the more Watch-like materials (Sapphire glass, stainless steel body) imo.
Alright it's overpriced and almost $1000 in Canada but I think I'm getting stainless steel

Now I just need to decide whether to get black or silver, the watch blends in nicely with the black but I hear the silver goes better with other bands.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Got the stainless steel today and I already seem to have small minor scratches on the face, one I don't know how I got and the other possibly from bumping softly against a marble table. I thought sapphire would be stronger, thinking of complaining to Apple.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
For me it's not even close to worth it. Bought a Gen 3 and took it back before the two weeks was up. Glorified wrist vibrator. It's use for a fitness tracker is lost on me because my fitness is MMA and jiu jitsu.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
I absolutely love mine after switching over from a FitBit Blaze. Might not be so useful if my soul hadn't already been sold to Apple when I got it a couple of months ago, but how connected all of my devices are is super handy. Love that wearing the watch means I don't have to type a password when I wake my MacBook up. Or that I can change the song on my HomePod in the middle of the night when my phone is charging and I'm too awkward to talk to Siri. I've got the cellular model and I haven't really taken much advantage of that feature yet because I've had some issues getting it to sync properly to my AirPods.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Mine has been sent in repair for the past week. Living without it made me realise how much I used it day to day.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love mine. The series 3 ceramic I have in grey is great and the battery life is great on the series's 3 just thought I'd let you know :)

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
HELP! My Apple Watch Series 3 is missing in a pretty spotless house. I think my cleaning girl might have stolen it.

Can it be hooked up to another iPhone? Or once it is paired to mine, stealing it is worthless?

The battery is dead, so Find IPhone cannot see it or send a sound to it.

Any ideas?

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Apple Watch is one of the reasons it's hard to leave Apple. It integrates so well with the watch to provide messages, phone calls, reminders, etc to your wrist so you'll never miss anything. I also load my music onto it and track my workouts and runs. It's an amazing health tracking tool. Couple it with Airpods and you're all set. I have the Series 2 and see no need for LTE at this time.