• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 9, 2018
Apple_imac-magickeyboardnum-magicmouse2-macos-wallpaper_08042020_big.jpg.large_2x.jpg

Press: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/08/27-inch-imac-gets-a-major-update/

Product Page: https://www.apple.com/imac/

Bullet points stolen from a Reddit comment:
  • 1080p FaceTime camera
  • Nanotexture glass option
  • Faster Intel processors up to 10 cores
  • Double memory capacity
  • Higher-fidelity speakers
  • Studio-quality mics
It is very apparent this will be the last large iMac (and last Intel iMac) before an Apple Silicon iMac; however this spec bump is larger than expected and since it may take 3 years for AS to be in a good place on the iMac I might just take the dive.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I just got my new iMac like 8 months ago, but I desperately needed it after my 2011 27" couldn't keep up with my work needs anymore. How are the trade-in values for these things? I wonder if I can get a decent amount back and jump for this one...

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
šŸ
Hopefully this will be the last update sporting this design. It's iconic but also over a decade old.

Edit: It's going to be interesting to see how Apple Silicon GPUs are going to stack up against an RX 5700XT. I assume Apple wouldn't bring out an upgrade that doesn't beat the previous version but competing with Navi in terms of GPU speed is going to be tough.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Do people actually use the speakers? I cant imagine it being better than some decent 2.0 speakers.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
They really need a new design. Those bezels look ridiculous today.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Damn, I just got my new iMac like 8 months ago, but I desperately needed it after my 2011 27" couldn't keep up with my work needs anymore. How are the trade-in values for these things? I wonder if I can get a decent amount back and jump for this one...

The performance gap between your current hardware and this one is probably negligble; is there some other feature that you're lusting over?

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Really tempted by this, my wife wants a 27" to replace her 2017 21.5". We have been waiting for ARM but I am worried that the first ARM iMac will be way overpriced and we won't be able to upgrade anything on it post purchase. This could the the last great upgradable iMac.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully this will be the last update sporting this design. It's iconic but also over a decade old.

Edit: It's going to be interesting to see how Apple Silicon GPUs are going to stack up against an RX 5700XT. I assume Apple wouldn't bring out an upgrade that doesn't beat the previous version but competing with Navi in terms of GPU speed is going to be tough.
oh wait, I thought they would still use discreet gpus in certain products?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Really tempted by this, my wife wants a 27" to replace her 2017 21.5". We have been waiting for ARM but I am worried that the first ARM iMac will be way overpriced and we won't be able to upgrade anything on it post purchase. This could the the last great upgradable iMac.

If you can, wait it out a few weeks for sales to start rolling in. Bookmark Apple Insider's price guide and check it out once the 2020 models get added, I find it's usually the best place to find the lowest prices. https://prices.appleinsider.com/current-gen

In addition, a few resellers still don't charge tax in some parts of the country, so you may be able to save a bit more as well.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
The performance gap between your current hardware and this one is probably negligble; is there some other feature that you're lusting over?
After waiting so long without upgrading, I wanted to jump on the "best" model, or right off the heels of a fresh update at least. If this update came a year or so after my purchase and wasn't as big of a jump, it would sting a little less, but that's the tech world I guess.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say the opposite--attaching speakers is a much smaller use case.

Normies don't care about this stuff.

There was a thread over on macrumors where some guy who needed better sound refused to hook speakers up to his iMac because "that's not the way it's supposed to be used" lol

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Seriously hoping the ARM iMac includes FaceID. The number of times I get up and down from my computer, I just gotta have it.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

Back in my CompUSA days (2005-2008) I remember using "completely wireless" as a selling point for the iMac. Back then wireless networking wasn't as prevalent and a wireless keyboard & mouse weren't standard, but once you remove the cables for networking, mouse and keyboard the only cord coming out of your computer was power, and that's really nice from a minimalist standpoint.

These days Apple includes a wireless keyboard & mouse as standard, most printers come with wireless connectivity on-board and network attached storage, while not widely adopted, is a great solution as well, so this dream is more attainable than ever.

There was a thread over on macrumors where some guy who needed better sound refused to hook speakers up to his iMac because "that's not the way it's supposed to be used" lol

If you've got the cash to throw around, you could always pair the iMac with a Homepod or two and use them wirelessly in stereo playback mode, though the homepods themselves still need to be connected to power, obviously. (I've seen this in a few desk photos, in fact.)

Seriously hoping the ARM iMac includes FaceID. The number of times I get up and down from my computer, I just gotta have it.

Not an Apple Watch owner I assume?

Last edited:

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Back in my CompUSA days (2005-2008) I remember using "completely wireless" as a selling point for the iMac. Back then wireless networking wasn't as prevalent and a wireless keyboard & mouse weren't standard, but once you remove the cables for networking, mouse and keyboard the only cord coming out of your computer was power, and that's really nice from a minimalist standpoint.

These days Apple includes a wireless keyboard & mouse as standard, most printers come with wireless connectivity on-board and network attached storage, while not widely adopted, is a great solution as well, so this dream is more attainable than ever.

If you've got the cash to throw around, you could always pair the iMac with two Homepods and use them wirelessly. (I've seen this in a few desk photos, in fact.)

Not an Apple Watch owner I assume?

That's actually one consideration we have for my wife's new office. I have a HiFi Amp with Q-acoustic speakers hooked up to my Mac Mini but she wants something more minimal.

I get it in a way but the wires are so hidden with my Mini that I prefer the superior quality.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Was in the market for another, but I'm not giving them that much money for bezels that damn ugly. They've been so slow in updating the look of their hardware while at the same time maintaining or increasing the cost.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
Damn We purchased our Mac around Sept 3019 when they were doing a back to school special amd got free beat headphones. It sucks they updated so fast but we got our moneys worth out of our iMac during the 4 months we were at home during quarantine.

it's good they are finally doing away with super drive, still kick myself for not going ssd:(

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017

The speakers in an iMac are actually pretty damn good for inbuilt ones as well. They certainly sound better than your average TV does and many don't bother with sound bars, so they certainly wouldn't bother getting speakers for a desktop computer.

Those who do care go with headphones, most people don't want to make their home office louder for other members of the household.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Damn We purchased our Mac around Sept 3019 when they were doing a back to school special amd got free beat headphones. It sucks they updated so fast but we got our moneys worth out of our iMac during the 4 months we were at home during quarantine.

it's good they are finally doing away with super drive, still kick myself for not going ssd:(
iMacs are fantastic machines. Yours will last for a while. I'm still rocking my 2017 one and it runs like a champ at 5k resolution. I added extra RAM and will replace the Fusion Drive eventually.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Great spec bump and happy to see the matte display option come back! $500 be damned, it's a matte display! They are clearly saving the redesign for ARM.

My ideal spec would be 27", matte display, Core i9 10C/20T, 8GB (upgrade to 32GB via Amazon/Newegg), 5700XT 16GB, 1TB SSD, and 10 Gigabit Ethernet.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

There is a large group of Apple customers who are looking for minimalism. I talked to my Dad about possibly upgrading his old 2011 iMac with a Mac mini and external monitor, but he went with another iMac. More expensive, but he wanted the least amount of crap on his desk.

Oct 27, 2017
A pleasant tside effect of this is that the iMac Pro's base specs got bumped from 8 to 10 cores--the same setup I had spec'd last week just got almost 1k cheaper.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
They now come with SSD as standard which is a huge upgrade. Same processors.
That seems like a minor bump compared to the 27. How likely is it that the 21 will be fully upgraded any time soon? Any ideas? My Mom's iMac concked out a few weeks ago, and I told her to wait for what is on the horizon.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
That seems like a minor bump compared to the 27. How likely is it that the 21 will be fully upgraded any time soon? Any ideas? My Mom's iMac concked out a few weeks ago, and I told her to wait for what is on the horizon.

The current 21.5" won't get any more updates. The next one will be ARM with a redesign. There's a lot of speculation on what that might be. Some rumours suggest a 24" ARM iMac could be one of the first ones. However, nobody really knows. If you want Intel and the current design go ahead because it won't get another Update.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
if you're not willing to wait for ARM iMacs this version of the 21" is imho probably as good as its gonna get with intel CPUs.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
The current 21.5" won't get any more updates. The next one will be ARM with a redesign. There's a lot of speculation on what that might be. Some rumours suggest a 24" ARM iMac could be one of the first ones. However, nobody really knows. If you want Intel and the current design go ahead because it won't get another Update.
if you're not willing to wait for ARM iMacs this version of the 21" is imho probably as good as its gonna get with intel CPUs.
Thanks both. Probably good enough for my ma.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
Great spec bump and happy to see the matte display option come back! $500 be damned, it's a matte display! They are clearly saving the redesign for ARM.

My ideal spec would be 27", matte display, Core i9 10C/20T, 8GB (upgrade to 32GB via Amazon/Newegg), 5700XT 16GB, 1TB SSD, and 10 Gigabit Ethernet.
How difficult is it to upgrade ram in iMacs?

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL

Very easy! There is a door above the power connector on the back which houses 4 slots of upgradeable SO-DIMM. Always buy the base RAM and upgrade yourself.

Example - Corsair 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4-2666 SO-DIMM is $130 on Amazon so $260 for 64GB of RAM is a fraction of what Apple charges ($1000!).

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

Depends on the model.

The 27" iMac has a removable door on the lower rear of the computer that pops off with a button and gives you immediate access to the RAM slots.

maxresdefault.jpg

The 21.5" has no such door, and you have to unseal the front glass of the computer to get access to the RAM slots. It's not terribly difficult to do (but time consuming) if you're careful and familiar with working within computers, but you'll need to order replacement adhesive to reseal the glass to the front of the computer.

hiCUZB1J4KJDVbed.medium

This will void your warranty, obviously, so if you need more RAM than the stock amount within the one year warranty that the computer ships with (three years if you opt for Applecare) it's best to plan ahead and order what you need upfront.

This is at least an improvement over prior iMac models which had soldered in RAM modules.

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
You just have to be careful of the screen. Other than that it is really easy. I think it took me like 5 minutes.

The retina iMac is such a great computer IMO. Mine is from 2015 and I bet I can get another 2-3 years from this one before I need to upgrade.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Don't mean to be a negative nance but this doesn't seem very "significant" to me. How much faster is the RAM and processor compared to last gen? That's the only thing here jumps out as possibly significant.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Don't mean to be a negative nance but this doesn't seem very "significant" to me. How much faster is the RAM and processor compared to last gen? That's the only thing here jumps out as possibly significant.

The opening post spells them out pretty well. Better facetime camera, optional antiglare coating (that was previously only available on Apple's new XDR displays), faster processors, better graphics, higher maximum memory capacity, better speakers and microphones.

Last edited: