• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Is it a big jump for those particular tasks though? I won't be doing any video editing or any heavy work now nor in the future
Not sure, it will handle any increase in your future demands better and possibly be easier to sell on. I'd investigate more but long term, for that kind of money, I'd upgrade.

gzell60

Oct 26, 2017
Munich
I think my HP notebook has to make it through another 1 to 1.5 years before I can make the jump to that sweet ARM-powered MBP, eh?

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit Intel. Get it together. They might be truly mediocre till their removal from the MacBooks next year.

I was at least hoping we'd get 10nm processors in the 16" in the second half of the year, but at this rate, I'm expecting nothing.

Also, 16GB not being standard until the gen 10 model is bullshit.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Is Apple planning to switch Macbooks to ARM? Wouldn't it screw with MacOSX and software compatibility?

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Does this mean the 14" model is probably releasing next year? It looks like some people think they'll still release a 14" MBP later this year but that doesn't make a ton of sense to me. They didn't keep the 15" after releasing the new 16" model and having both a 13" and 14" Pro seems like a really unnecessary and confusing expansion.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
Is it a big jump for those particular tasks though? I won't be doing any video editing or any heavy work now nor in the future
You won't notice a difference between the i3 and the i5. If all you're doing is basic tasks both processors are more than enough for the foreseeable future. Not to mention I believe the i3 outperforms the prior MacBook air's i5 in benchmarks so performance shouldn't be an issue for it. I'd be more concerned about Apple abandoning Intel software support in the coming years like what happened to powerPC.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I think I'm sticking with my current setup until we see a shift to ARM.

13" is too small for me, I think, but this is really cool.

If you haven't checked one out, give it a try. I'm an art director/graphic designer and I prefer laptops around 13". I have larger monitors for when I'm stationary but the 13" feels good to move around with. I can also use my iPad as an extended display when needed or mirror my MBP when I need to draw with the apply pencil instead of carrying my drawing tablet around now.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is Apple planning to switch Macbooks to ARM? Wouldn't it screw with MacOSX and software compatibility?
macOS and iOS share many of the same core components, and I have no doubt they've had a full build of each recent macOS release running on experimental ARM hardware for several years now. Anything submitted to the App Store in the last few years should be fine with a recomplie.

Now, stuff like Adobe, and games, that's a whole other issue.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing. The 10th gen bass model chips are basically iGPU bumps. If that ain't a big deal to you the CPU power is basically a wash with the current 8th gen i5 quad core that was in last year and this years base model.

Plus while they DO get warm they don't have the throttling issues the current Air does. It's not just indexing either. Airs cooling is fine for burst tasks, but not long tasks like encoding or say building a big ass solution in VS.

That being said the i3 Air IS more than fine. I know i3s have a stigma from shitty cheap Walmart laptops of yore, but honestly this runs more than fast for daily uses.

So either get a base model i3 Air and pocket the extra cash. You can easily browse the web, watch Netflix, do email, and run office. $999 out the door.

or

IF you need the speed the base model MBP is fine unless you really need the iGPU for something. Just pay for the RAM bump. Honestly if you need the beefier GPU you're probably better off with the 16" descrete GPU model anyways.

*Storage upgrade is a case by case basis.

Oct 29, 2017
They are definetly in a better place than a couple of years ago. At least the things totally in their control like the keyboards have been fixed.

I wonder why they haven't gone AMD for their higher performance MacBooks. Seems to make sense given their issues with intel.

The big blow to Intel in the mobile space happened just now.

Apple keeps around their chassis design for a long time. Traditionally with a 4 year lifecycle, and they design it with close cooperation with Intel. Apple can't just shift to AMD. They would have to redesign everything from the bottom up. They don't operate that way. They are one of the least reactionary company.

Intel has been steadily fucking them over the course of this generation. They already have plans to move to their own chips and they have been working on it for years.

Moving to AMD just to jump to their ARM chip a few years later is not going to happen. It was never an option.

enanogrande

Oct 30, 2017
IIRC the heatpipe isn't actually connected to the CPU socket, and the system uses negative (?) pressure to cool the internals. This is too weak for the chips they're using, so burst loads are fast but as soon as you start compiling code or rendering something for more than 4-5 mins the laptop chokes from heat and gets loud and slow

The system isnt underpowered, it's just undercooled. And the theory is that it's on purpose to upsell you to a 28w TDP 13" MBP that has proper cooling (dual fans, connected heatpipe)

Of course, you won't notice any of this shit (despite the screeching of youtube and forums) if you're just checking email, working on documents, and using chrome. That's what the computer is intended for

Thanks, did some more research after reading your post and yeah it does seem to be an actual issue. Like you say though, I haven't really maxed out a laptop in years (writing this from my 2013 Air), so I'd probably not run into it. Hell, I'm doing more and more work out of my iPad if anything.

Feb 1, 2018
Thanks, did some more research after reading your post and yeah it does seem to be an actual issue. Like you say though, I haven't really maxed out a laptop in years (writing this from my 2013 Air), so I'd probably not run into it. Hell, I'm doing more and more work out of my iPad if anything.

Right, so it probably shouldnt affect you at all if you have the corresponding use case

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Same boat.

I bought the top spec 13" and maxed it out but barely used it due to having a 15" work MBP so it remained connected to a display, closed, and used for < 10 hours per week with external monitor/kb/mouse.

First the logic board went, then the keyboard I had to get replaced, then the logic board AGAIN (no water damage detected from Apple in any case). I've never had so many problems with a device, and it's still in pristine condition!

The bloody thing has cost me in excess of $3,000. Probably far more. Plus the lost data (fortunately most was backed up).

Wow, I thought I was the only one. Bought mine in November 2016 and had three logic board failures of varying degrees of severity.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a decent upgrade with the updated keyboard alone.
I've been looking at getting a new 13 inch for awhile. Definitely between this and an XPS. Curious to see how the battery life is on the new MBP

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Wow, I thought I was the only one. Bought mine in November 2016 and had three logic board failures of varying degrees of severity.
This is the first time I have encountered somebody with this same issue.

Did you order a unit with an English keyboard from Apple Japan? Mine is a 13" delivered on 2016/11/18 with a UK (英語-英国) keyboard. I wonder if this can be narrowed down further?

Full specs are –
• 3.3GHzデュアルコアIntel Core i7プロセッサ(Turbo Boost使用時最大3.6GHz)
• 16GB 2,133MHzメモリ
• 512GB PCIeベースSSD

When my keyboard was replaced they swapped it out for a US keyboard (UK keyboard would have been a long wait) and the logic board problem reoccurred.

The first time it occurred was random – I was using Line (fully charged, closed, connected to a display), so nothing too intensive, and the screen suddenly went to black as if powered off. The unit randomly would switch on about a week later for a few minutes, which was not enough time to salvage anything. I could get it to switch on one last time about a month later before sending it in for repair. Behaviour was as if the unit's battery was depleted.

Last edited:

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
This is the first time I have encountered somebody with this same issue.

Did you order a unit with an English keyboard from Apple Japan? Mine is a 13" delivered on 2016/11/18 with a UK (英語-英国) keyboard. I wonder if this can be narrowed down further?

Full specs are –
• 3.3GHzデュアルコアIntel Core i7プロセッサ(Turbo Boost使用時最大3.6GHz)
• 16GB 2,133MHzメモリ
• 512GB PCIeベースSSD

When my keyboard was replaced they swapped it out for a US keyboard (UK keyboard would have been a long wait) and the logic board problem reoccurred.

The first time it occurred was random – I was using Line (fully charged, closed, connected to a display), so nothing too intensive, and the screen suddenly went to black as if powered off. The unit randomly would switch on about a week later for a few minutes, which was not enough time to salvage anything. I could get it to switch on one last time about a month later before sending it in for repair. Behaviour was as if the unit's battery was depleted.

I'm one of those rare breed of foreigners who springs for the Japanese keyboard. 😅

If I recall correctly:

1) First issue was kernel panics within weeks of purchase
2) Second issue was also kernel panics
3) Third issue was the trackpad becoming unresponsive

And then keyboard issues interspersed throughout.

It's frustrating because had I done my repairs in California, Apple would have just given me a new unit after the third fault, while Apple Japan is particular about what causes issues and whether or not the lemon rule applies. The best I could do after the second repair was have them prioritize me in the queue because losing my MacBook Pro for a year has repercussions for my job.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
Does this mean the 14" model is probably releasing next year? It looks like some people think they'll still release a 14" MBP later this year but that doesn't make a ton of sense to me. They didn't keep the 15" after releasing the new 16" model and having both a 13" and 14" Pro seems like a really unnecessary and confusing expansion.

I think it's highly unlikely we see a chassis redesign, mini LED display, etc before Spring 2021, which would line up with expectations for an ARM launch. I think it's all tied together.

that means there are a lot of variables and the date could slip further, especially if the pandemic's impact worsens

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I'm one of those rare breed of foreigners who springs for the Japanese keyboard. 😅

If I recall correctly:

1) First issue was kernel panics within weeks of purchase
2) Second issue was also kernel panics
3) Third issue was the trackpad becoming unresponsive

And then keyboard issues interspersed throughout.

It's frustrating because had I done my repairs in California, Apple would have just given me a new unit after the third fault, while Apple Japan is particular about what causes issues and whether or not the lemon rule applies. The best I could do after the second repair was have them prioritize me in the queue because losing my MacBook Pro for a year has repercussions for my job.
I had similar problems with Apple Japan with my old Air. They will, no surprise, apply the rule to the letter and seem to have no leeway. If it happens again I'd suggest you go over them and call an international line when the domestic one is closed - had mine replaced after the 2nd issues no questions asked and they let me pick any 3 accessories for free too (all over the phone). One of the guys from the Australian support gave me his direct email too in case I had any issues again. Also had my battery replaced in my iPhone for free even though it was bought 12 days before the eligible period when there was that scandal about throttling a while back - again after being refused locally with them fighting tooth and nail over 12 days, and calling international support who were more than happy to.

Last edited:

Gorthaur

Oct 28, 2017
I was looking forward to this, but I've been using my girlfriends 15" with the touchbar and I don't think i can buy a macbook with a touchbar. Makes it unusable for me because of the random stuff that happens when I'm typing and accidentally touch it.

I don't understand these comments. It's really hard to accidentally touch the Touch Bar.It's shit, but you really need to go out of your way to accidentally touch it.

hrœrekr

Banned
May 3, 2019
I don't understand these comments. It's really hard to accidentally touch the Touch Bar.It's shit, but you really need to go out of your way to accidentally touch it.

Touchbar was a failed experiment.
My main problem is not having he Esc button. There are apps that tried to turn the bar into something useful, but the way apple implemented it deletes the touch Esc (and replace it with the x).

I think the new models that keep the Esc separate will have a better usability. But at this point it failed already. Not even Apple is trying to do something interesting with it. In the end, is just there to annoy me an take away battery life.

hrœrekr

Banned
May 3, 2019
macOS and iOS share many of the same core components, and I have no doubt they've had a full build of each recent macOS release running on experimental ARM hardware for several years now. Anything submitted to the App Store in the last few years should be fine with a recomplie.

Now, stuff like Adobe, and games, that's a whole other issue.

I'm thinking about the thousands of shared libraries and non apple store software that developers use. That will be a huge no deal for professionals.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I think it's highly unlikely we see a chassis redesign, mini LED display, etc before Spring 2021, which would line up with expectations for an ARM launch. I think it's all tied together.

that means there are a lot of variables and the date could slip further, especially if the pandemic's impact worsens

Yeah I think that's all tied together, just like how a lot of the additions to the PowerBook line (iSight cam, MagSafe,etc) waited till the first Intel MacBook Pro.

My 2015 is long in the tooth and this is the upgrade I've been waiting for. Pulled the trigger on the $1799 and it'll be here in a week.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I'm thinking about the thousands of shared libraries and non apple store software that developers use. That will be a huge no deal for professionals.

Catalina already started to make the work and usability of the OS hostile to pro users. I still Apple still wants to only allow signed apps to run in the future. It's an hostile platform for devs unless you pay up. And don't use 32 bit apps.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Touchbar was a failed experiment.
My main problem is not having he Esc button. There are apps that tried to turn the bar into something useful, but the way apple implemented it deletes the touch Esc (and replace it with the x).

I think the new models that keep the Esc separate will have a better usability. But at this point it failed already. Not even Apple is trying to do something interesting with it. In the end, is just there to annoy me an take away battery life.

I really have to disagree. After 4 years of having it and getting a MBP16 with the hardware escape key I think they've finally reached the good form that's far better than the old system. I'm a huge fan of the contextual nature of the touch bar. All of the stuff that's normally required two or three keys worth of stuff has a better interface taking up far less space on the touch bar. When you think about how much space was required to do volume up, down, mute on the regular hardware keyboard and how compact it is on the touch bar it's like..

200.gif

All of the expose stuff I didn't need because I was already using the touch pad gestures so I literally never touched F3 and F4. The slider makes going up and down volume and brightness far quicker and more accurate than just spamming the key and because it's white on black OLED it can be lit and be seen without lighting up the whole room like keyboard backlighting on the old key strip. Much easier on the eyes in the evening.

So I've got all the functions I need, it takes up 1/4 of the space of the old key strip, I can have an app context sensitive bar as well as my most used controls, it's all 100% customizable if I want something else to be there, and I have the one button I really wanted as a hardware button.

For me, the touch bar has really come into its own.

Last edited:

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Catalina already started to make the work and usability of the OS hostile to pro users. I still Apple still wants to only allow signed apps to run in the future. It's an hostile platform for devs unless you pay up. And don't use 32 bit apps.

I don't think it'll come down to only signed apps because there's still a billion ways to install apps from source. I think that's why Apple is spending so much time both locking down the system volume and instituting the APIs like System Extensions and DriverKit. A lot of things were only in the kernel out of necessity and in 2020 this isn't anywhere near good system design. Look at the Valorant controversy with Riot Games. It just dumps its kernel level driver onto the system and it's basically rooted your PC. It's painful but it's both necessary and a much better way to do things. It's obvious that Apple is trying to maintain the spirit of the openness of desktop platforms while trying to protect novices.

Also, pro users do pro things. Right click and then open and you bypass the signed apps. Takes two extra seconds and protects the uninformed from doing something potentially bad like "upgrading their flash player".

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
The expose and app view really made no sense in the Macs because of the touchpad. The Touch Bar is definitely better than having those keys.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i have been using a touch bar mbp since jan 2017 and to this day never use the touch bar for anything but brightness and volume controls

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think it'll come down to only signed apps because there's still a billion ways to install apps from source. I think that's why Apple is spending so much time both locking down the system volume and instituting the APIs like System Extensions and DriverKit. A lot of things were only in the kernel out of necessity and in 2020 this isn't anywhere near good system design. Look at the Valorant controversy with Riot Games. It just dumps its kernel level driver onto the system and it's basically rooted your PC. It's painful but it's both necessary and a much better way to do things. It's obvious that Apple is trying to maintain the spirit of the openness of desktop platforms while trying to protect novices.

Also, pro users do pro things. Right click and then open and you bypass the signed apps. Takes two extra seconds and protects the uninformed from doing something potentially bad like "upgrading their flash player".

Have they officially gone back on the signed apps thing?

Last I read that was the plan but it was postponed due to their automatic testing tools not being ready or something.

I have no problem with a locked down system if, as an admin, I can open it up and do whatever I want and run everything I want.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
No. But it'll operate in parallel with the system we have now.

You can't really break the system anymore with the read-only system volume.

I thought the current system was going to disappear. Well, good news.

I'm not talking about breaking the system, just not being limited by Apple's signed stuff.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017

Professionals won't buy the first gen ARM Macs, though. They'll buy the last Intel Macs and wait for their software of choice to be migrated to ARM before making the switch, just as they did last time when Apple switched from PPC to x86.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the current system was going to disappear. Well, good news.

I'm not talking about breaking the system, just not being limited by Apple's signed stuff.

re: gatekeeper, notarization, fears of not being able to run unsigned apps, etc. they actually talked a bit about this at WWDC last year and I thought it was reasonably encouraging:

But it's important to keep one thing in mind. Our goal is to make every Mac user safe by default, but not to prevent you from running the software that you want to run on your Mac. And that means that there will always be a way to run a specific piece of software that you want to run on your system. Now, I talked a little bit earlier about how every year we're continuously improving the technologies and policies that we have at every layer. So I'd also like to take a minute to talk a little bit about what's next for Gatekeeper. Now, we have a really big goal on the security engineering team. We want to make macOS just as secure as iOS, while still maintaining all the flexibility that you've come to expect out of your Mac.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
re: gatekeeper, notarization, fears of not being able to run unsigned apps, etc. they actually talked a bit about this at WWDC last year and I thought it was reasonably encouraging:

When I watch stuff like this I really think that Apple is planning to open up iPadOS more. Like with ARM MacBooks they'll also port more of the full fat macOS to the iPad and eventually the iPad Pro will be able to run desktop macOS in one state (docked to a setup that has a keyboard and mouse/trackpad) and an iOS style in another state (portable). So in portable mode you'd be limited to UIKit based apps but in desktop mode you could run UIKit (c/o Catalyst frameworks) and AppKit based native macOS apps through a conventional aqua desktop.

Plus they could make the transition between the states seamless. When you take the iPad off the dock the UIKit apps keep running completely seamlessly while any AppKit desktop apps get suspended and serialized to disk and possibly get to start up a UIKit power nap component to run in the background and hook into the Springboard notification system. I wouldn't be surprised if we started to see the ground work laid in iPadOS 14.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017

meh mmm

I don't think MacBook Pros will see ARM until 2022. I'm guessing Air and like an entry level iMac to be the first ones in Spring 2021.

14" MBP this Fall or maybe pushed to spring 2021 due to COVID.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
happened multiple times everytime I used it. Reach up for a number key, tip of finger slightly reaches over and next thing I know I'm looking at a random tab in chrome.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
I don't think MacBook Pros will see ARM until 2022. I'm guessing Air and like an entry level iMac to be the first ones in Spring 2021.

14" MBP this Fall or maybe pushed to spring 2021 due to COVID.

Right now, even a modest A14-based Air would blow the fucking doors off a 10th gen i7 13" MBP, so I cannot imagine that Apple's going to let the Air outshine the higher-price Pro for very long. I think we're talking a 2-3 month lag at most, similar to the transition this year.

I also highly doubt we're going to see a chassis redesign/microLED/further investment in this platform as long as the MBP is on intel

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Right now, even a modest A14-based Air would blow the fucking doors off a 10th gen i7 13" MBP, so I cannot imagine that Apple's going to let the Air outshine the higher-price Pro for very long. I think we're talking a 2-3 month lag at most, similar to the transition this year.

I also highly doubt we're going to see a chassis redesign/microLED/further investment in this platform as long as the MBP is on intel

show me the receipts. I could believe it matching an i7 but blowing the fucking doors off sounds like ridiculous hyperbole.

Plus it isn't just about power I would think. They will focus on the more consumer computers first as software won't be as big of an issue.

I don't see why the 13" MBP is a sacred cow that won't see reduced bezels until ARM when the 15" did it. Did the 16" see a chasis redesign? I thought it was pretty much just the reduced bezels.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
show me the receipts. I could believe it matching an i7 but blowing the fucking doors off sounds like ridiculous hyperbole.

Plus it isn't just about power I would think. They will focus on the more consumer computers first as software won't be as big of an issue.

I don't see why the 13" MBP is a sacred cow that won't see reduced bezels until ARM when the 15" did it. Did the 16" see a chasis redesign? I thought it was pretty much just the reduced bezels.

An iPhone 11 is already very close to the 10th gen 28w Intel.

Single score scores are both roughly 1300 in geekbench 5.1, multicore the a13 does like 3200 points and the i7 does 4300.

So yeah I think the a13 is already faster than the 10th gen i5 and I would assume the a14 will be faster than the 10th gen i7 even in multicore.