• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, this is a weird time for the Mac in general. It's clear Apple isn't happy with the Intel partnership, but their own homegrown ARM-based Macs aren't ready to ship, even though we all know they're coming.

I'm glad they've been addressing the obvious pain points with their products, though. They've abandoned the Magic Keyboard, they've made the MacBook Air pricing more competitive, they've doubled the storage on the lower-tier 13-inch Pro and doubled the RAM on the higher-tier 13-inch Pro. They're hungrier than they were from like 2015-2019, even though they don't really have the processors to support that yet.

They are definetly in a better place than a couple of years ago. At least the things totally in their control like the keyboards have been fixed.

I wonder why they haven't gone AMD for their higher performance MacBooks. Seems to make sense given their issues with intel.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
These really remind me of those last couple of gens of PowerBook G4 where they'd given up on IBM and were treading water waiting for Intel.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Man, I got the previous gen variation the moment it was released. It seemed to be revered at the time for its value, but man do I hate this keyboard.

madgorillaz

Oct 28, 2017
Disappointed that a 14" wasn't announced instead.

This looks like a weak refresh compared to the amazing upgrade they achieved with the 16" last year.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume the Pro will have non-sucky cooling unlike the Air.....

Everyone was praising the performance of the 2019 base model last year. I see no reason why that has changed. The quad core did great. Yes it gets warm, but there isn't a ton of throttling issues.

This is basically last years praised base model upgrade without the shitty keyboard and a free storage bump.

pegaso

Oct 28, 2017
Crossing fingers for a 14" fall release. My late 2013 is still chugging along pretty well but it's getting near time to upgrade.

Man, my late 2013 Retina might just be the best electronic device I've ever bought. Not a single issue, ever, and still doing his thing (mostly browsing and coding, but hey). I'll be very very cautious when I replace it, hopefully next year with a 14" as well.

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing but I guess I will go another year with my 2014 Air, battery might need to be replaced but it is still kicking.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
The reasonably price models are still 8th gen CPUs with only 8GB RAM. The 10th gen CPU costs way too much for a 13" laptop.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My 2017 left me feeling like I got scammed, so fuck Apple.

edit:
I went to buy a new macbook pro because my older one had it's battery expand and kill the machine after about 3 years. I ended up being sort of talked into trading it in to get (IIRC) the new 2019 model. I have a powerful imac in the house, so I didnt want to spend too much money, so I opted for a model without the touch bar to bring the price down. Firstly, I didn't realise at the time that if you go for one without the touch bar, you get a 2017 machine, so I'm already buying an older thing than I realised.

It's the model with the shit keyboard, and I've already had it repaired, but it still keeps getting sticky keys, and they're noisy as fuck.. The machine is inferior to the older model in so many ways. The battery is terrible. I used to get like 5 hours out of the old machine and that's when doing motion graphics work and really punishing the system. The old model gave me about 10 hours web browsing - the new one lasts 2 hours just sat web browsing. They even made lots of tiny downgrades. The magnetic power plug is gone so instead of safely popping out if the wire gets nudged, it pulls the system across the desk. They even got rid of the little green light that would let you know the thing was chargin when the screen was closed. Oh, and the useful couple of pegs on the plug itself to wrap the wire round when storing it away has been removed. Even the touch pad feels and sounds cheaper than it's predecessor.

This is supposed to be a luxury product. I'm seriously tempted to jump to PC but I'm so invested in the software such as FCPX and Motion 5 that I'm a bit commited now. I'm not giving them any more money for a new machine until I absolutely have to.

I bought the 16 inch pro after owning a 13 inch pro from 2017. The quality is transcendent and I use the computer every day (aside from gaming) with Logic Pro, work, and school. I'd honestly say if you're still on that model, upgrade. You will have IMO a redeemable experience.

Jun 20, 2019
You can double the RAM on the base model for $100. $1399 for the Pro cooling and GPU compared to a 4 core, 16GB Air for $1299.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
I bought the 16 inch pro after owning a 13 inch pro from 2017. The quality is transcendent and I use the computer every day (aside from gaming) with Logic Pro, work, and school. I'd honestly say if you're still on that model, upgrade. You will have IMO a redeemable experience.
My 4k iMac is a badboy but it's 6 years old now. I'm wondering whether to sell my macbook and imac, and replace them with a 16 inch top spec macbook pro and use a dual monitor docking solution, as I've heard that the one you're talking about is back to standards you would hope for.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
Was really hoping for Mini-LED, 10th-gen CPUs throughout the lineup, 14" screen, and was hoping for base model starting with 16GB RAM. I think this is the last spec update we see before the big design change that will come with the changeover to ARM next year.

Oct 25, 2017
You can double the RAM on the base model for $100. $1399 for the Pro cooling and GPU compared to a 4 core, 16GB Air for $1299.
That's probably the spec I would get if I was in the market. My 2016" 13" mbp has 8gb of ram and it's not enough.

I don't think I would buy another one with 2 usb-c ports, though. It has been a headache in a lot of situations. I have a usb-c multiport that works well, and has an ethernet jack and 4x usb 3 ports as well as a usb-c charging passthrough, but it get fiery-hot. I've been searching for a replacement and all of the reviews for similar models mention that they get too hot. It hasn't caused any problems in the last 3+ years but it has always been a concern of mine. It gets seriously scalding hot in some situations.

May 25, 2019
London
What are people doing with the rumors of the ARM transition? Holding out and hoping that upgrade is worth it, or loading up on an Intel mac to last them a few years while they work out the kinks?

I'm not sure I would want to be a guinea pig for the first year or two of the ARM transition

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
That's very disappointing... But hey, now I can buy the 2159€ 16" Book with no regrets!

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I'm currently in a "switched heavy tasks to a Windows PC and will re-assess Mac in some years". My 2017 MacBook Pro is being mainly used by my girlfriend while I use an iPad Pro for everything non-desktop.

Mac OS Catalina was a big gut punch for me.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
doda 2, alive gam

msNtIWsjwDl1I8zW6FShqFBgcdR8otyDXlRvEqcFUFU.jpg

enanogrande

Oct 30, 2017
What are people doing with the rumors of the ARM transition? Holding out and hoping that upgrade is worth it, or loading up on an Intel mac to last them a few years while they work out the kinks?

I'm not sure I would want to be a guinea pig for the first year or two of the ARM transition

I'm loading up with the last gen intels for sure. Theoretically deciding between this, the new Air, or the rumored 14. Not in too much of a hurry though.

(New Air is in the lead for now)

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Glad that the butterfly keyboards are finally dead but that's a really underwhelming base model. Not sure how a laptop can be considered "Pro" or premium when it only has 8GB RAM.

I am waiting for WWDC to hopefully get a clearer picture.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looked like OK upgrade, before I saw that you have to get the higher spec expensive model ($1799) to get the 10th gen CPU.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the air gets 10th gen but doesn't have the cooling to use it and you have to drop $2k to get a processor upgrade on a pro.

Lol.

When will the 16 get refreshed chips? That honestly seems like the only smart purchase. Also, why the hell does the 16 not have a num pad???

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017

This is why I pulled the trigger on the 2020 Air, can't say I'm interested in beta testing the ARM Macbooks right out of the gate.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The new keyboards are so much better than the Dark Age of 2016-2019 Macbook keyboards. All Macbooks made with butterfly keys were unusable garbage for me.

Feb 1, 2018
Haha the base model is unchanged, the new CPU's are only on the 4-port model which is a poor value when a 16" is just ~300 more. I'll probably just get that at this point, but Catalina's instability and lack of legacy app support is what's turning me away.

Lame update. I was ready to buy instantly too. I'm so glad they fixed the keyboard for good at least.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly for an Ultrabook the best value then is the 2020 air i7. Which is mysteriously no longer on Apple's site. 🤔

OP
OP

Deleted member 4262

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I might actually pass on this tbh. It seems like a bad deal compared to Windows competitors like the 2020 Dell XPS 13.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Ah so you gotta call them? Just wasn't seeing the option on my phone. I may go for that then. 4c/8t and 16gb ram for $1500 doesn't seem so bad.

If you click "Select" you're taken to the configurator page, where you can customize the storage, RAM, processor, etc. before adding it to your cart.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Ding Dong the butterfly switch nightmare is over.

I have a butterfly switch MBP that is covered in the Keyboard Protection Program, so I'm not upgrading anytime soon.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Debating on finally updating my old Early 2011 MacBook Pro.

Anybody know the best way to sell it? I know it might now be worth much but anything to justify paying a grand for a new MacBook pro. Lol.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
My 2017 left me feeling like I got scammed, so fuck Apple.

edit:
I went to buy a new macbook pro because my older one had it's battery expand and kill the machine after about 3 years. I ended up being sort of talked into trading it in to get (IIRC) the new 2019 model. I have a powerful imac in the house, so I didnt want to spend too much money, so I opted for a model without the touch bar to bring the price down. Firstly, I didn't realise at the time that if you go for one without the touch bar, you get a 2017 machine, so I'm already buying an older thing than I realised.

It's the model with the shit keyboard, and I've already had it repaired, but it still keeps getting sticky keys, and they're noisy as fuck.. The machine is inferior to the older model in so many ways. The battery is terrible. I used to get like 5 hours out of the old machine and that's when doing motion graphics work and really punishing the system. The old model gave me about 10 hours web browsing - the new one lasts 2 hours just sat web browsing. They even made lots of tiny downgrades. The magnetic power plug is gone so instead of safely popping out if the wire gets nudged, it pulls the system across the desk. They even got rid of the little green light that would let you know the thing was chargin when the screen was closed. Oh, and the useful couple of pegs on the plug itself to wrap the wire round when storing it away has been removed. Even the touch pad feels and sounds cheaper than it's predecessor.

This is supposed to be a luxury product. I'm seriously tempted to jump to PC but I'm so invested in the software such as FCPX and Motion 5 that I'm a bit commited now. I'm not giving them any more money for a new machine until I absolutely have to.

I feel the same. Bought a MBP 15''. Feel scammed by this atrocious keyboard that makes me use an external keyboard most of the time.
How can a machine that costs 3k fail so much in such a basic component?

Apple denied criticism on this keyboard for a long time, and advertised new machines with the butterfly "fixed". In the end they still have the same problems (sticky keys, inconsistent typing, noise).

I feel scammed after using all my money to buy this machine right before they got rid of it. They at least should have an upgrade program for those who bought this defective product.
Now I'm stuck with this machine for many years before I can upgrade again.