• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Apple is so stupid. Haven't they figured out this retaliatory shit isn't going to hold up in court? The court will reverse this next week. Hopefully epic sues for damages from this retaliatory bs.
Probably not too late to pull a "hahaha ... just kidding everyone ...".

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Eh, this isn't simply retaliatory. If you own or run a business, it should 100% be within your right to not have to do business with certain companies or individuals, especially if they're completely bad faith actors weaponizing their fanbase against you.
It is CLEARLY retaliatory. Epic violated apple's rule for fortnite only. This is a big overreach and the courts will say the same. It'll be reversed next week. Another L for apple

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
It is CLEARLY retaliatory. Epic violated apple's rule for fortnite only. This is a big overreach and the courts will say the same. It'll be reversed next week. Another L for apple
The court straight up told Apple it could do this and recommended Epic remove the direct payments and continue updating Fortnite while the rest of the case proceeds in order to avoid it.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You clearly don't understand what's actually happening here, Apple only terminated the Epic account that publishes Epic's games. The Unreal Engine account is still active. This is what the judge told them they had every right to do.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
It would be great if you actually read the details of what has happened because you're coming across as trolling or intentionally ignoring info. Please educate yourself with what has already happened. 'Another L for apple' tells me your mind is already made up though.

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
You don't have to break your contract with someone to sue them.

Spotify is still on iOS app store and they're currently in active litigation with Apple.

Apple even said from Day One that if Epic removed their own IAP from Fortnite the game would be welcome back on the store while the case continues.
You are totally correct that Apple has been sued over their practices before and that there are ongoing cases like the Spotify one. The App Store model has survived numerous court cases brought on by other companies. The reason that Epic has gone above and beyond here is because they are actually trying to win.

A huge part of Epic's case is that Apple taking a 30% cut of transaction inside an app is causing consumer harm. Trying workarounds to get back on the App Store, or simply allowing Apple to take their 30% cut could weaken Epic's case.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
The court straight up told Apple it could do this and recommended Epic remove the direct payments and continue updating Fortnite while the rest of the case proceeds in order to avoid it.
I was just reading the articles and it sounds like the judge only focused on Unreal Engine at that point since Apple cut off support immediately and she was not focused on the developer account. I'm sure Epic will bring an immediate action to the court next week and again the judge will issue another temporary restraining order. Let's just wait until next week. I'm sure Epic will not let this stand.

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
Apple is so stupid. Haven't they figured out this retaliatory shit isn't going to hold up in court? The court will reverse this next week. Hopefully epic sues for damages from this retaliatory bs.
They did what the court allowed them to. Please go read what the court said about the TRO and what Apple was within its rights to do.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017

Off-Topic but holy shit I never thought I'd see the name CrackWatch again. I was a part of their discord right when they were getting started and it was the biggest toxic cesspool of assholes I've ever seen

On-Topic: Epic thinks they can do w/e they want without repercussion and apple is showing them that is obviously not the case.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand

The only ones wearing the L right now are Epic. You should read all the information on what's going on or other users might think you are just trolling.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Maybe don't post if you don't know what this is about. It's not retaliatory at all. The courts said they could do this.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
This is actually the outcome that Epic wanted. In common law jurisdictions like the US, Epic cannot start a court case against Apple until there has been "actual harm". A speculative lawsuit where the courts would have to rule on this before Apple took action against Epic are not allowed.

This is wrong.

The court told Epic they could continue their suit and stay on the App Store if they reverted Fortnite to its early August state.

Wrong, the Court told Apple they were free to do this if Epic didn't remove their payment system.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I was just reading the articles and it sounds like the judge only focused on Unreal Engine at that point since Apple cut off support immediately and she was not focused on the developer account. I'm sure Epic will bring an immediate action to the court next week and again the judge will issue another temporary restraining order. Let's just wait until next week. I'm sure Epic will not let this stand.
Be sure to quote us all when she does! Man, are we gonna look dumb.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile what you all don't realize is that Epic has a phone they are about to announce that only uses EGS and will make Fortnite Mobile exclusive.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

Why would the court issue another TRO? It already gave Apple permission to do this if Epic didn't revert the changes to Fornite.

It's going to issue a TRO against something it gave Apple permission to do...?

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

The opinion in the TRO makes it very clear both aspects were considered and each was ruled on separately.

n3gH1Ks.png

...and later:

4TzSZqh.png

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
A huge part of Epic's case is that Apple taking a 30% cut of transaction inside an app is causing consumer harm. Trying workarounds to get back on the App Store, or simply allowing Apple to take their 30% cut could weaken Epic's case.

Epic since 2018 until 2 weeks ago charged $10 for 1000 VBucks on their own PC store for which they were not paying 30%. Where was the consumer benefit?

Epic right now is charging the same $7.99 on PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo which are also taking 30%. Where is the consumer harm?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Epic since 2018 until 2 weeks ago charged $10 for 1000 VBucks on their own PC store for which they were not paying 30%. Where was the consumer benefit?

Epic right now is charging the same $7.99 on PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo which are also taking 30%. Where is the consumer harm?
Yeah, and I can pretty much guarantee a judge will look at that and ask Epic why they're singling Apple out, and the excuse of "Apple makes more profit on their hardware" won't fly.

PIkkonX

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly believe that Sweeney's Plan A was that when they pulled this stunt, gamers, politicians and judges would unite and denounce Apple, forcing them to cave. There was no Plan B.
I'm thinking this must've been the case too and it was an interesting miscalculation. Of all the people that play Fortnite, how many play exclusively on mobile and what is their age range? I'd imagine it would skew quite young (<12) and there would be a miniscule amount that don't also have a console. So who exactly was supposed to generate all the outrage they expected?

As far as politicians and judges go, they love Tim Apple and co and are excited about the 4:1 stock split.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK

I was just about to ask this. Are VBucks more expensive on ios because of this 30% cut Apple takes? If not, if VBucks prices are the same all over the place, then the consumer isn't being "harmed", it's just Epic's greed at play, and Tim Sweeny's need to swing his dick around in regards to the policies of other companies.

He used Steam's cut in order to justify his own store buying up exclusives left and right, using it as a smokescreen to benefit his company. This reeks of the same tactic, trying to force through circumventing Apple's payment system to benefit him and his company while painting Apple as the bad guy with his pre-prepared CG video, rallying gamers to shout and scream about it, as if he gives a shit about any of them beyond the cash they give him.

And no, this isn't to defend Apple. Haven't owned an Apple product for many years, wouldn't give a shit if the company pulled an Enron and collapsed in shambles. The way Sweeny conducts himself and his company and coats it all in a thin veneer of giving a shit about the little guy....just, ugh. It's sleazy and disingenuous to absurd levels.

slsk

Oct 27, 2017

$10 for 1000 VBucks on EGS has been spent on things like Fortnite, Unreal Engine, EGS game giveaways etc. These are all things that benefit consumers since they are gobbling it up. Apple's 30% mostly goes to untaxed offshore bank accounts.

If Epic can get an antitrust ruling against Apple, then that could force a change in across all online stores, including the consoles.

I'm not siding with Epic here, but you have to understand that this is what they have do in order to win an antitrust case. The quality of submissions from Epic's legal team show that they have done their preparation and they are ready for a long battle. It's possible that this will progress through the system and eventually end up in front of the Supreme Court.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I honestly believe that Sweeney's Plan A was that when they pulled this stunt, gamers, politicians and judges would unite and denounce Apple, forcing them to cave. There was no Plan B.

Maybe that was indeed the strategy, but then when Apple not only took Fortnite off the store but also the UE support, it should have been a clue that they were prepared to deal with bigger blowback than Epic anticipated.

Sweeney really appears to be shooting from the hip here; his lawyers are very accomplished I am certain they aren't telling him to try and litigate the case on Twitter.

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
I was just about to ask this. Are VBucks more expensive on ios because of this 30% cut Apple takes? If not, if VBucks prices are the same all over the place, then the consumer isn't being "harmed", it's just Epic's greed at play, and Tim Sweeny's need to swing his dick around in regards to the policies of other companies.

Apple's policy is that the App Store price cannot be higher than any other price. So you can't charge $10 on iOS and $7 elsewhere for something.
This means that developers either have to raise prices elsewhere to match iOS (hurting consumers on other platforms by increasing prices) or to make 30% less on iOS (hurting the developers).

In reality, because all stores are taking a 30% cut it doesn't really make a difference. What Epic are trying to do is break this model.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017

I don't think the court was suggesting terminating Epic's account and every single game that came with it. This was about Fortnite no?

Edit:

The opinion in the TRO makes it very clear both aspects were considered and each was ruled on separately.

n3gH1Ks.png

...and later:

4TzSZqh.png

Just read this. "Fortnite and other games"

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Apple's policy is that the App Store price cannot be higher than any other price. So you can't charge $10 on iOS and $7 elsewhere for something.
This means that developers either have to raise prices elsewhere to match iOS (hurting consumers on other platforms by increasing prices) or to make 30% less on iOS (hurting the developers).

In reality, because all stores are taking a 30% cut it doesn't really make a difference. What Epic are trying to do is break this model.
That doesn't benefit the customer...only Epic. The customer is not being harmed, despite what Epic are claiming. Epic also don't give a shit about smaller devs and companies, they're doing this for themselves. It's nauseating to see them try to paint themselves as noble crusaders in this way.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A huge part of Epic's case is that Apple taking a 30% cut of transaction inside an app is causing consumer harm.
Kind of hard to make a compelling case when they are more than comfortable with the "harmful" 30% cut being taken by Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc. If they are going to demand a royalty-free presence on iOS then they should be demanding it for all platforms.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
$10 for 1000 VBucks on EGS has been spent on things like Fortnite, Unreal Engine, EGS game giveaways etc. These are all things that benefit consumers since they are gobbling it up. Apple's 30% mostly goes to untaxed offshore bank accounts.

You could equally say with Apple that 30% is going into iPhone development, hosting free apps on the App Store, Apple's educational donations, etc. Epic is a private company so you have no idea how much is profit and how much is going into R&D.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

Nope, Twitch subs are $5.99 on iOS and $4.99 on web. Youtube premium is $15.99 vs 11.99. Epic had chosen to pocket the 27% extra they made on PC.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Epic say that Steam has pc gaming in a Monopoly or something and now Epic is paying for games to only release exclusively with them. And now the Apple fee is hurting consumers but they charged the same price on all platforms and even pc dor fortnite currency. I doubt epic wants anything good to come out to benefit the consumer, Epic is all about themselves. Epic should get terminated by everyone. Stick to making graphic engines and thats it.

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of hard to make a compelling case when they are more than comfortable with the "harmful" 30% cut being taken by Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc. If they are going to demand a royalty-free presence on iOS then they should be demanding it for all platforms.
They should absolutely demand it for all platforms, but that's not how the legal system works.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should absolutely demand it for all platforms, but that's not how the legal system works.
So why doesn't the PS4 version of Fortnite have its own Epic-run payment processing that bypasses PSN? The same stunt they pulled on iOS could be used to test the waters elsewhere. This isn't some limitation of how the legal system works; they can do this wherever they want and then hash out the consequences.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Apple spends 16 billion on R&D a year which is about 8 percent of their total yearly revenue. on the same note, who says Epic inst vaulting most of their new revenue on offshore untaxed bank accounts?