• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Third parties can submit actions to the Shortcuts app via their own apps.

There's an "easy" API to use for this and a "more complicated but more useful" API to use for this. Expect to see more and more of the latter as time goes on.

After doing more research and a lot of pain trying to get this to work, the short answer is, yes third parties can donate their apps to the Shortcuts app, but third party apps have no way of getting input or sending output within a workflow. Hopefully this will come in iOS 13, but it's a huge blocker for more sophisticated actions with third party apps.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm one of those that have multiple alarms 5 minutes after each other. Is it possible to trigger all those alarms at once?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Strange error I'm getting now as I was working on something.
Won't complete no matter what.

eULlnyP.png

Edit: Had to make a copy of it and the copy works fine.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Could something like this be used to change what double tapping AirPods does? Like, could I tell Siri "tap AirPods for pause" or "tap AirPods for Siri" and have it make those adjustments?

I have my AirPods set for tap to pause, but there are some situations where tapping for Siri would be more convienent. It would be super cool if this were possible.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Could something like this be used to change what double tapping AirPods does? Like, could I tell Siri "tap AirPods for pause" or "tap AirPods for Siri" and have it make those adjustments?

I have my AirPods set for tap to pause, but there are some situations where tapping for Siri would be more convienent. It would be super cool if this were possible.

You could just set to tap one of the earbuds for Siri on the AirPods bluetooth settings.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Is there any way to start create a workout shortcut from my phone to my Apple Watch? It's becoming very cumbersome to use my Apple Watch now that I'm using my winter jacket.

It would be very smooth to just tell my iPhone to start a workout and when I'm done I just turn it off

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I just learned on reddit that using exit workflow as the last action prevents Siri from saying her stupid "Done" or similar at the end. Nice. It's just as pointless as the app announcement.

E: doesn't work for me though :( RIP

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I would've loved integration with the training app on the watch.

I go by bike to work everyday so if I can say "Hey Siri, I'm going to work" and it could start tracking biking would've been neat.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
New update is in beta! https://twitter.com/viticci/status/1047978328609738752

So glad shortcuts is a separate app.

E: Goddamn, I can't run my "scrape site for url then play that audio file" shortcut on the HomePod :( Always asks me to continue on the phone and then plays the sound there

E2: doesn't even work with audio files stored in iCloud Drive as it throws this error

cKlUAaB.jpg

Last edited:

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I'd love some more helpful UI tweaks like ability to disable steps rather than having to fully remove them when I'm trying to test things out.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
I have no idea how to make anything happen with this app.

Does anyone know of one where I can hit a button and have my device go to the lowest brightness, night mode, and low light zoom? And the reverse?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to see what step is failing??? I keep getting an error code about value did not match expected type

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

KdotIX

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I want to create a morning routine. I want to say to Siri: "Good morning" which will trigger a shortcut that will: read and display all my upcoming events for the day in the Siri screen, read and display any upcoming reminders for the day in the Siri screen, look at the weather for the day in the Siri screen. Any ideas on how I could do this?

OP
OP

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want to create a morning routine. I want to say to Siri: "Good morning" which will trigger a shortcut that will: read and display all my upcoming events for the day in the Siri screen, read and display any upcoming reminders for the day in the Siri screen, look at the weather for the day in the Siri screen. Any ideas on how I could do this?

Remove some stuff for this and make sure it points at your own lists and you've got it:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/53719db019a64defbbafeb7d728953fc

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Update is out

Apple just updated its Shortcuts app, adding a weather integration, new measurement conversions, and better iCloud sharing, among other features. Now, Shortcuts lets you check upcoming weather forecasts with the "Get Current Weather" and "Get Weather Forecast" actions that are available for you to add to any custom shortcut.

You can also create an alarm, toggle an alarm, and start a timer. Previously, the app had some shortcuts that you could try to use as timers (like the Laundry Timer Shortcut, which was effectively a countdown clock). But now, you can make your own straightforward shortcuts with a direct timer. You can also measure and convert measurements, such as inches to centimeters, more conveniently. There's a "Get Last Import" action you can add to shortcuts that quickly pulls in the most recently imported photos.

Oct 25, 2017
So since updating to iOS 12.1 I now cant run shortcuts through siri. It just says 'sorry there was a problem with the app.'

Any ideas what it could be? If I delete the app and redownload it will I lose all my shortcuts?

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Noticed this 2.1 update removed all the brand glyphs - Spotify, Twitter, YouTube, etc. If you had existing shortcuts with them they get replaced with generic icons (music note, chat bubble, etc). Kind of a bummer but good update aside from that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's a fun bug: "Get Current Song" for the music app actually gets the details of the PREVIOUS song that was played, not the current one.

Renders a few of my shortcuts useless

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like shortcuts via Siri is currently broken for some users. -_-
Yep was about to post:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/12/05/siri-shortcuts-not-working/

A small but increasing numbers of users on Twitter and the MacRumors forums claim that they are unable to invoke shortcuts using Siri, including Federico Viticci of MacStories and Rene Ritchie of iMore. The shortcuts still work if executed directly from the Shortcuts app, but not with a Siri voice command.

The issue is not affecting all users, nor is it affecting all apps. Third-party apps appear to be affected more than Apple's apps. It also doesn't appear to be related to today's release of iOS 12.1.1 or Shortcuts version 2.1.2. Your mileage may vary, so leave us a comment in our forums if you are affected.

possible fix:

In the meantime, some users have been able to re-record their Siri Shortcuts phrases to get them working again. To do so, open the Shortcuts app, tap on the three dots on a shortcut, tap on the settings toggle icon below Done in the top-right corner, tap on Siri Phrase, and tap Re-Record Phrase.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Few months in, I haven't done too much with Shortcuts admittedly. The few I have have been enough for me, but I feel like I could do more. I just can't think of what else to do.

I deleted my Presetation Mode shortcut. Don't need it anymore. I made a quick one that automatically copies a gif URL from GIPHY when you do a search or through the trending list, since the app made it slightly more annoying to grab the gif link.

But from that, I'm looking into "Modes" for my phone, but I can't think of anything outside of maybe a mode for my car. That's almost pointless with CarPlay though. Something I'm brainstorming more on.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But from that, I'm looking into "Modes" for my phone, but I can't think of anything outside of maybe a mode for my car. That's almost pointless with CarPlay though. Something I'm brainstorming more on.

Look into Tasker, it was an Android thing for this many years ago. Not for you to change but for ideas. Things like home mode where you turn notifications off and wifi on, or work mode ? Idk but Tasker is a good place to start id think