• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Shortcut for when you're pulled over by the police (taken from one of the other Apple threads, sorry I can't give more credit): https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/8ebe3d63d3c34d04be04fb7b3f1e72e6

Shortcut to make text 200% better (best used from the share sheet): https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/8ebe3d63d3c34d04be04fb7b3f1e72e6

Shortcut that takes a selected video, lets you trim it, and turns it into a gif (also best used from the share sheet): https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/8ebe3d63d3c34d04be04fb7b3f1e72e6
Shortcuts Murcia edition something something
But that's actually kinda smart. I'll set up a similar one for heated situations

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Here's one that bypasses online paywalls. Many big sites like Wired, Vanity Fair, etc allow you to read like 5 free articles per month before locking you out and requiring you to subscribe. If you get that paywall prompt, simply go to the share sheet in Safari's bottom toolbar, go to "Shortcuts" and select this action. It will unlock it for you.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/f37f624116d9435b88f252cf12933cfa

That's because they're trying not to go out of business like every other news and media company. You're already blocking all their ads, how do you think they're going to make money without subscriptions? Sorry for putting you on blast, but come on man. If you really like that magazine/newspaper's content, support them. Quality independent journalism is more important than ever.

Shortcut for when you're pulled over by the police (taken from one of the other Apple threads, sorry I can't give more credit): https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/8ebe3d63d3c34d04be04fb7b3f1e72e6

What exactly does this do, turn on the camera and record?

I'm also surprised Apple is even letting people post their own Shortcuts, considering they've wiped all community submissions from the app itself.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What exactly does this do, turn on the camera and record?

I'm also surprised Apple is even letting people post their own Shortcuts, considering they've wiped all community submissions from the app itself.

Pause your music, lower screen brightness, text someone that you got pulled over, sends current location, opens the front camera and records, then when you stop it it saves to the camera roll and auto sends it to someone else. All texting is done in the background with no confirmation needed.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Pause your music, lower screen brightness, text someone that you got pulled over, sends current location, opens the front camera and records, then when you stop it it saves to the camera roll and auto sends it to someone else. All texting is done in the background with no confirmation needed.
God Bless America

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Because this for some reason STILL is not a thing you can do in iOS, is it possible to make a shortcut that will reset your cellular data usage on the same day each month? Not sure how well shortcuts handles scheduled things like this.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly OP, you should put this in the OP as an example of a shortcut. The concept of shortcuts doesn't really "click" with people until they see how comprehensive and specific you can make them. I feel like you won't have anyone asking "wait but what can I do with this" once they see that example.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
god damn

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I want to use this to recreate the web receipts folder on my Mac. I want it to create a pdf, which I've found the shortcut for, and then automatically save it to the specific folder in iCloud.

Doable, right?

EDIT: holy shit I figured it out already. This is so awesome.

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Spotify would support this already - that shortcut on Reddit relies on some web app hosted on heroku somewhere.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
WOW.

This is the the type of stuff I want to see. Somebody smarter than me make something I didn't know I needed.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly OP, you should put this in the OP as an example of a shortcut. The concept of shortcuts doesn't really "click" with people until they see how comprehensive and specific you can make them. I feel like you won't have anyone asking "wait but what can I do with this" once they see that example.

Good idea, done. Also added three more resources, the old Workflow subreddit, and the new Shortcuts and SiriShortcuts. Tons of examples in those locations.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Shortcut to make text 200% better (best used from the share sheet): https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/8ebe3d63d3c34d04be04fb7b3f1e72e6

Shortcut that takes a selected video, lets you trim it, and turns it into a gif (also best used from the share sheet): https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/8ebe3d63d3c34d04be04fb7b3f1e72e6

They're all the police workflow :P

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. When you see how you can chain together a bunch of actions you get how powerful this can be. A lot of people (myself included) are thinking of shortcuts in terms of a single action, in which case you're saving maybe a single tap.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I want to use this to recreate the web receipts folder on my Mac. I want it to create a pdf, which I've found the shortcut for, and then automatically save it to the specific folder in iCloud.

Doable, right?

EDIT: holy shit I figured it out already. This is so awesome.
Excellent idea, did the same stores websites as pdf to my recipes folder on my Dropbox. :D

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

That's really impressive. Apple needs to do some ads based around complex actions like this.

Minor annoyance, I can't click on a Shortcut link from my Mac and it'll install on my iOS devices, even though Shortcuts use CloudKit for syncing. It'd also be nice if they listed the actions the Shortcut uses on the share page, just so you know up front what you're getting yourself into.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to share it or even view it. I'm trying to set it to automatically save to a pre-specified folder in iCloud.
I see where you're coming from now. Seems pre determined path is indeed tied to the shortcuts subfolder. That makes no sense when manual allows all

OP
OP

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's really impressive. Apple needs to do some ads based around complex actions like this.

Minor annoyance, I can't click on a Shortcut link from my Mac and it'll install on my iOS devices, even though Shortcuts use CloudKit for syncing. It'd also be nice if they listed the actions the Shortcut uses on the share page, just so you know up front what you're getting yourself into.

Their demo at WWDC tries to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UThGcWBIMpU&t=31m40s

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
I don't have iOS 12 yet, but I'm wondering...

Can I create a shortcut to connect my phone via Bluetooth to a specific Amazon Echo device?
And another one to disconnect?

It's way too annoying to do this through the Amazon Alexa app every time, it takes like 6 actions and ~30 seconds.

MidnightMania

Oct 31, 2017
Is there a way for shortcuts to interact within apps?

For example I'd like to:

Tell Siri to "Snooze Slack"
Open Slack
Open the menu to select "Snooze" option
Choose 24 hours

MidnightMania

Oct 31, 2017
I've been playing around with it. One of the things that I did was have text spoken back to me. One of the things that irks me is this:
Make shortcut named Joke
Add Siri phrase "Knock knock"
Input text to Who's there?
Speak text

What happens is when I say "Knock knock', Siri will say "Shortcut says: Who's there?"

Anyway for Siri to just respond without the "Shortcut says"?

OP
OP

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there anyway to input something from the lock screen or get Siri to ask a question and input the response?

Not yet, I would say that's the biggest limitation right now. Third party apps can't accept or pass variables, and Siri can't listen for an input and use it in the Shortcuts.

Some low hanging fruit I expect to be addressed next year.

Oct 27, 2017
Not yet, I would say that's the biggest limitation right now. Third party apps can't accept or pass variables, and Siri can't listen for an input and use it in the Shortcuts.

Some low hanging fruit I expect to be addressed next year.

Thanks. It's kinda weird because it's not really a security thing, you can still input text and dictate speech from the widget screen while the phone is locked. Looking forward to some updates.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
How do you launch a shortcut? Do you have to invoke Siri or can you trigger by location? I'm trying to make a shortcut to automatically text my wife an ETA when I leave work but I don't see a location option.

Like I see "get location." And I see an option for if statements. But I don't see how to link my location to an if condition.

If activating shortcuts is really limited to those 6 methods laid out in the OP this doesn't as useful as it could be.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How do you launch a shortcut? Do you have to invoke Siri or can you trigger by location? I'm trying to make a shortcut to automatically text my wife an ETA when I leave work but I don't see a location option.

Like I see "get location." And I see an option for if statements. But I don't see how to link my location to an if condition.

Currently Shortcuts cannot be run automatically. You would have to invoke it when you leave work, and the rest can be handled in the background