• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It's clever like a lot of their commercials but it doesn't tell you or show you even one privacy feature of the phone. They should do one with montages of puppies and at the end just show the phone and say "Puppies, that's iPhone". Boom another billion phones sold.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
It's clever like a lot of their commercials but it doesn't tell you or show you even one privacy feature of the phone. They should do one with montages of puppies and at the end just show the phone and say "Puppies, that's iPhone". Boom another billion phones sold.

I dunno, I feel like ads like this are much more effective to the average viewer. Get too wordy or too technical and you risk scaring off some of your customers.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017

TBH, it doesn't need to show the features (though a wider ad campaign that did would be good) as this is just hitting on the point that there are a hundred good reasons people want and expect privacy, and there's no reason that shouldn't extend to your phone. It's a simple message, well-executed and this particular ad doesn't need any demo of features to make it more effective.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

This is 100% more effective because it appeals to emotions more than it does logic, which is the primary driver in buying non-essential items like premium priced cell phones.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
"Tim Apple just put ot a commercial--very beautiful--about iPhones being private, which everyone wants. That's why we need to build the wall, just like the ones in the commercial. Keep the cyber Mexicans out of our country!"

Only a matter of time until the commercial is perverted by the right.

Feb 1, 2018

It's an extremely effective ad because it ties familiar imagery to the product's features and you instantly "get it". Marketing 101.

If you want the nitty gritty on the specific privacy aspects you can head over to apple.com/privacy or check out their numerous whitepapers on the subject- Here's one about the T2 chip.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not an ad executive, are you.

The idea is to portray something relatable. Unless you have a super compelling way of illustrating elliptical encryption a visual way.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, I don't really care for Macs but IPhones inmo are the best phones in the market.
I feel exactly the opposite. I love my MacBook, but I'd rather set myself on fire than go back to using an iPhone. I love their efforts to make privacy a priority, but using an iPhone is too painful for me to make it worth it.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Not an ad executive, are you.

The idea is to portray something relatable. Unless you have a super compelling way of illustrating elliptical encryption a visual way.
Funny you say that, I actually do work in advertising. I was talking more about what I want to see in a commercial, not the general iphone buying public. Apple's advertising is incredibly effective. But personally, it drives me nuts.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel exactly the opposite. I love my MacBook, but I'd rather set myself on fire than go back to using an iPhone. I love their efforts to make privacy a priority, but using an iPhone is too painful for me to make it worth it.

It kills me when people say shit like this. As if using an iPhone and an Android phone are so utterly different. "Set myself on fire." "Too painful". Your argument rings hollow precisely because the hyperbole is too much to swallow.

All that said – is ease of use automatically trumping security for you? Do you leave the lock open on your gym locker? Do you bother to turn off your car when going into a store? Why even carry keys? So cumbersome!

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny you say that, I actually do work in advertising. I was talking more about what I want to see in a commercial, not the general iphone buying public. Apple's advertising is incredibly effective. But personally, it drives me nuts.

So what do you want, a bullet point list of tech lingo with a 5 second logo slate?

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apple tried to sell ads and it failed. Just remember that it's more of a happy accident than some altruistic mentality. In the long run, they will probably fall further behind Amazon and Google with cloud and A.I. technologies.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Apple tried to sell ads and it failed. Just remember that it's more of a happy accident than some altruistic mentality. In the long run, they will probably fall further behind Amazon and Google with cloud and A.I. technologies.
They actually beat Alexa in the 800 question AI test with Siri

Feb 1, 2018

Is this latest version of the "Apple is doomed" argument? It's been around since the 90's in many permutations

It's crazy how they've survived this long despite so many critical flaws eh

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Apple at the moment are good with privacy, well it seems that way but profit margins etc, you never know but for now, good times. I like their distinction from the competition in this regard.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More than zero talk or examples of any security feature at all on the phone is a start. This is like a Ford commercial that shows 30 screens of various safes then at the end a Ford logo and the phase "Ford, the safest cars".

I get what you are saying but you have to appreciate how abstract and intangible talking about digital phone security really is. I think they were smart to go after the analogous sentiment. "We all lock things up for a reason." Because when you drill down what this means on a phone, what you end up portraying is... hassle. "We will pester you for 2-factor security". "We will suggest missile launch codes instead of memorable passwords". "We will bug you every single damn time you download something that's not from the App Store unless you say it's ok, and then we will give you a hard time about that too". I mean, think about it. Security isn't sexy. It's like plumbing. You just expect it to work, and it's a disaster when it doesn't. So I think they were smart to go after the common sentiment.

I know you specified that this approach probably works for "most" but not YOUR preferred ad– so I don't get where you are coming from, if you are actually in advertising this should be axiomatic.

Remember that the infamous Fappening wasn't an actual hack, it was just bad passwords. How do you spin that into a visual ad?

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this latest version of the "Apple is doomed" argument? It's been around since the 90's in many permutations

It's crazy how they've survived this long despite so many critical flaws eh

39374.jpg

They actually beat Alexa in the 800 question AI test with Siri
Is that like the Pepsi challenge or something?

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a great way to sell my a phone, I just don't think one of the "old" big guys is going to stay true to it.
Gonna see if someone else (the DUCK DUCK GO of phones) will emerge.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
More than zero talk or examples of any security feature at all on the phone is a start. This is like a Ford commercial that shows 30 screens of various safes then at the end a Ford logo and the phase "Ford, the safest cars".
That actually wouldn't be a bad ad, of course a little bit of work would be needed, but the general idea ain't bad.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
While I applaud Apple themselves' approach to privacy for the most part, I'm not sure they're doing enough from preventing users from sharing data with the apps that they install on their phones.

Health and home data in particular. They could also do a better idea of educating people what can happen when you Enable access to the microphone, camera, or location.

Beyond things like that, we probably need government protection.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I get what you are saying but you have to appreciate how abstract and intangible talking about digital phone security really is. I think they were smart to go after the analogous sentiment. "We all lock things up for a reason." Because when you drill down what this means on a phone, what you end up portraying is... hassle. "We will pester you for 2-factor security". "We will suggest missile launch codes instead of memorable passwords". "We will bug you every single damn time you download something that's not from the App Store unless you say it's ok, and then we will give you a hard time about that too". I mean, think about it. Security isn't sexy. It's like plumbing. You just expect it to work, and it's a disaster when it doesn't. So I think they were smart to go after the common sentiment.

I know you specified that this approach probably works for "most" but not YOUR preferred ad– so I don't get where you are coming from, if you are actually in advertising this should be axiomatic.

Remember that the infamous Fappening wasn't an actual hack, it was just bad passwords. How do you spin that into a visual ad?
It's that hard to understand that I just don't like the ad? I stated that I get why they did it and that their advertising is extremely effective. I can recognize an effective ad and still dislike it. And working in advertising doesn't immediately mean I'm in strategy.