• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
What is the benefit of the nano-texture glass?

You see how your monitor has a soft plastic matte surface so that you can't see your own face in it like a mirror? It works at the expense of massive downgrade to image quality and contrast. This monitor has a glass surface so it's pretty reflective like an iPad is. This fancy coating diffuses the outside light on the surface of the glass without impacting the light coming from the other side and image as much. Samsung Q90 has a similar coating but I don't know if that one is this fragile. People are more likely to touch a monitor than a TV I guess and you are likely to scratch off the coating from the glass surface with any coarse material easily.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Same reason why your new lambo purchase comes with a lambo mechanic.

It's honestly kinda incredible how bothered people are by the Mac Pro and it's display.
I don't think people are bothered by it though, it's more of how ludicrous it seems, just like the lambo that comes with the mechanic.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think people are bothered by it though, it's more of how ludicrous it seems, just like the lambo that comes with the mechanic.

People be bothered by it. They cannot fathom who would use these tools. Some even saying you can build a cheaper pc to match the performance. Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, even on the thread about the Mac Pro here.

Feb 1, 2018
It's honestly kinda incredible how bothered people are by the Mac Pro and it's display.

Apple has ruffled the feathers of geek communities for decades. Everything they design, their branding, marketing, demographical targeting, etc is like diametrically opposed to the typical PC hobbyist and gamer. When you take advanced hardware and package it in a shiny Jony Ive box aimed at affluent creatives and busy professionals, you're going to piss off the people who spend their entire lives online forming an identity centering around nerd machismo. Because the things they were experts at are now being undermined and mass marketed to people who didn't know shit about that tech, who just want something that "just works". It's a gadget culture war.

Last edited:

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People be bothered by it. They cannot fathom who would use these tools. Some even saying you can build a cheaper pc to match the performance. Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, even on the thread about the Mac Pro here.
But that's how people are with "luxury goods" it's silly for most that some things cost so much, when you can get something cheaper that works just as good for them. Why pay a million + for a lambo that you can only drive on special occasions, why pay $52,000 for a computer that's only worth it for one thing really.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But that's how people are with "luxury goods" it's silly for most that some things cost so much, when you can get something cheaper that works just as good for them. Why pay a million + for a lambo that you can only drive on special occasions, why pay $52,000 for a computer that's only worth it for one thing really.

It's silly that a specialized piece of equipment costs $52k? I hate to break it to anyone who feels this way but offices, studios, labs, etc are filled with gear that no normal person can afford or easily justify doing tasks no normal person regularly does. It's not like this is some unicorn product no one uses or has ever expressed a need for. You can buy similarly spec'd and priced machines from multiple manufacturers. Clearly there is a market.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's not a luxury good. . . .

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Man the fact that people throw around "52k" is proof enough that the discussion here is shot.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's silly that a specialized piece of equipment costs $52k? I hate to break it to anyone who feels this way but offices, studios, labs, etc are filled with gear that no normal person can afford or easily justify doing tasks no normal person regularly does. It's not like this is some unicorn product no one uses or has ever expressed a need for. You can buy similarly spec'd and priced machines from multiple manufacturers. Clearly there is a market.
And there's a market for million+ hypercars that's why they keep making them. I just trying to explain what the average person who doesn't follow this stuff might think, and people are having a bit of fun at Apple expense it's really not that big a deal.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do I think a 1 dollar microfiber cloth will perform the same task without issue? Hmmm...

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And there's a market for million+ hypercars that's why they keep making them. I just trying to explain what the average person who doesn't follow this stuff might think, and people are having a bit of fun at Apple expense it's really not that big a deal.

But what about the network analyzer that costs $250k and is smaller than this workstation? It has a specialized purpose and hobbyists can't afford it. It's not a "luxury" price, it's expensive because it's sophisticated, produced in relatively small volumes and requires training to use properly.

I just don't understand trying to justify people feeling this way. The reaction is ridiculous.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But what about the network analyzer that costs $250k and is smaller than this workstation? It has a specialized purpose and hobbyists can't afford it. It's not a "luxury" price, it's expensive because it's sophisticated, produced in relatively small volumes and requires training to use properly.

I just don't understand trying to justify people feeling this way. The reaction is ridiculous.
And i don't get you guys going to bat for a multi-billion megacorp that doesn't care that you and I exist or not. People are having a bit of fun at apple it's not that serious at all.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And i don't get you guys going to bat for a multi-billion megacorp that doesn't care that you and I exist or not. People are having a bit of fun at apple it's not that serious at all.

Its not a defense of Apple, it's questioning poor reasoning. And for not mattering much you sure tried to defend it as reasonable. You've now switched fully to "why so serious" mode.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of people with expensive cars I've seen try and wash them and use a bath towel to dry the car. The swirls can be seen glistening in the sun.

Last edited:

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Its not a defense of Apple, it's questioning poor reasoning. And for not mattering much you sure tried to defend it as reasonable. You've now switched fully to "why so serious" mode.
It seems that way to me but whatever. And I just didn't just switch to " why so serious mode" I was in the mode for the jump. It's really not that serious.

Feb 1, 2018
Those million dollar robots that build cars are such a luxury item, nobody needs those. What a ridiculous maintenance plan they have. You can build a car yourself in your garage!