• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

According to an Apple support document, the Pro Display XDR with nano-texture glass must be cleaned only with the dry polishing cloth that Apple provides. No water or liquids should be used to clean the glass.

Apple warns that Pro Display XDR owners should never use any other cloths to clean the glass, and if the included dry polishing cloth is lost, Apple Support should be contacted so another cloth can be ordered. There's no word yet on what Apple is charging for replacement cleaning cloths.

Apple also has specific instructions for washing the polishing cloth, which includes using dish soap and water, rinsing thoroughly, and then letting it air dry for at least 24 hours.

Wonder if not doing so will affect any possible warranty claims.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hyper specific niche product with specialized coating requires... Specialized cleaning tools?

Not really sure what aspect of this clickbait I'm supposed to react to. Then again, I'm old enough to remember people getting outraged by windex ruining their fancy new LCD screens in the early 2000's.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
How much for the extra cloth? 99 bucks or more? Still a bargain tho!

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as the cloth is less than $500 I think it's reasonable. If it's less than $200 I wouldn't trust it tbh. That's some Samsung level booty-rag.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure within a month there will be dozens of the exact same cloth on Amazon. But really, this isn't a big deal. If you buy a $5000 screen and try to clean it with paper towel and windex, you probably deserve to get burned.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hyper specific niche product with specialized coating requires... Specialized cleaning tools?

Not really sure what aspect of this clickbait I'm supposed to react to. Then again, I'm old enough to remember people getting outraged by windex ruining their fancy new LCD screens in the early 2000's.
Yup. "I got a marble counter top and i am outraged i can't use the same cleaning products plebs with a stainless steel counter use".

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Super expensive display with optional nano-texture glass needs special cleaning to insure it does not get damaged.

I'm not exactly shocked by that.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Apple have a problem with their laptop where people were cleaning the display and it removed a coating over the display damaging them.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I used to have a boss who would come over to my desk and put his fat, greasy finger right on the screen where he wanted changes in something, leaving a very visible fingerprint. If I had this screen I'd have to keep a taser at my desk.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Isn't this common of specialty products and surfaces? That the maker says you should only use their own tested products to maintain?

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
The nano-texture glass is a $1200 CAD option. It's not standard and anyone who goes for that option shouldn't be shocked that it has specific cleaning instructions.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate comment, Hostility
How will the target audience for this wipe off their MTNDEW stains, their cum spatter and their Apple-induced-rage spittle with one stupid rag?

OP
OP
whatsinaname

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Put your $6000 suit in the washing machine.

I mean, people know they have to dry clean $6000 suits. This one is like saying the suit can only be dry cleaned at this one store because they have a new process.

The monitor is great value for sure, but this is something that is going to be used in studios and editing rooms. It needs to be reasonably robust.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, people know they have to dry clean $6000 suits. This one is like saying the suit can only be dry cleaned at this one store because they have a new process.

The monitor is great value for sure, but this is something that is going to be used in studios and editing rooms. It needs to be reasonably robust.

Wait you're actually serious about this being a problem?

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the nicheiest of the niche product. Its for pro's but only the kind of pro's who are not in the wild, on set or in a broadcasting truck etc.

Basically I'm mad that Apple decided to not make a prosumer monitor that could be attached to a Mac Mini :(

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
quality product which has a high price requires expensive upkeep... yep, that's exactly how it works

i have a ten grand bicycle... i know this world all too well

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Didn't Apple have a problem with their laptop where people were cleaning the display and it removed a coating over the display damaging them.

This was still the case on my 2017 13" where the Apple website specially tells you NOT to use propanol/alcohol-containing cleaners.

Most people don't visit the website to check tho

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it is a super niche display for a very niche market with a very large price tag, so I'm not surprised it may need a special material to properly clean.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
No, the opposite. Expensive things often require extra care.

I don't know what it is about Apple that makes people lose all perspective.

I think it has to do with their "expensive thing" not being worth the upgrade compared to other "expensive things" that put a larger gap between themselves and cheaper versions.

Granted, that's not always true, as there are a lot of expensive brands that aren't much better than a cheap knockoff.

I guess people expect Ferrari level vs Honda Civic for the money. 800hp vs 180hp. Although, now days that comparison doesn't really work well when you can buy a $35,000 Corvette that can outperform a $750,000 super car.

I've always built my own computers, so I've always found Apple's expensive systems a bit silly performance to cost wise.

I don't care if people want to spend money on it though. To each their own.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Having specific cleaning instructions/tools for a fancy piece of tech that isn't aimed at the average consumer doesn't seem all that crazy to me. Plus the cloth is included with the screen. I really can't see any issues here.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
It is better to just get the base model that is like $1000 less. Baby sitting some fancy anti glare coating isn't worth it. Just put hoods on your monitor instead if you really need it.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same reason why your new lambo purchase comes with a lambo mechanic.

It's honestly kinda incredible how bothered people are by the Mac Pro and it's display.