• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
So... this might sound super crazy, but my launch Series 3 that was my flatmate's and then mine since a couple years ago (when he upgraded to a series 6) is still at 100% battery health and I have zero complaints about the battery life. I even sleep with it for sleep tracking and alarms because I don't have to worry about it letting me down and as long as I remember to drop it in the charger a couple hours during the day it just keeps going for a whole day or even a day and a half. I don't know if it was our use case (basically notifications and very light training tracking) combined with a conservative charging pattern (optimised charge on and, since I got it, it has never spent a whole night at the charger) but it's almost magic.

Edit: I very VERY rarely let it charge to 100% and I just pick it out of the charger as soon as it's like 70-80% ish. Then it can easily go for a day and a half.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
So... this might sound super crazy, but my launch Series 3 that was my flatmate's and then mine since a couple years ago (when he upgraded to a series 6) is still at 100% battery health and I have zero complaints about the battery life. I even sleep with it for sleep tracking and alarms because I don't have to worry about it letting me down and as long as I remember to drop it in the charger a couple hours during the day it just keeps going for a whole day or even a day and a half. I don't know if it was our use case (basically notifications and very light training tracking) combined with a conservative charging pattern (optimised charge on and, since I got it, it has never spent a whole night at the charger) but it's almost magic.

Edit: I very VERY rarely let it charge to 100% and I just pick it out of the charger as soon as it's like 70-80% ish. Then it can easily go for a day and a half.

I absolutely do not believe that a Series 3, regardless of usage pattern, is still at 100% battery health. No matter what it's telling you 😅

Like, sure having it hover around 70-80% and not charge it to 100% is better for the battery. But you're still creating cycles upon cycles upon cycles by using it.
If, throughout the day (and night) you discharge 20% here, 30% there, recharge, another 20% here and another 30% there, you've still gone through one whole battery cycle.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely do not believe that a Series 3, regardless of usage pattern, is still at 100% battery health. No matter what it's telling you 😅

Like, sure having it hover around 70-80% and not charge it to 100% is better for the battery. But you're still creating cycles upon cycles upon cycles by using it.
If, throughout the day (and night) you discharge 20% here, 30% there, recharge, another 20% here and another 30% there, you've still gone through one whole battery cycle.

Yup, I was still the first one that was totally surprised at that number when I got it handed down and I guess after 5 years it's probably closer to 80% battery health than to the self-reported 100% but the fact that it Just Works™️ for my use case and I don't get to ever notice any kind of degraded battery performance because I don't have any kind of battery anxiety about it makes it super cool.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
So Ive been wanting to upgrade my M1 to M2

The thinner screen and magsafe really make me want to upgrade. It nags me that I have to use the USB cable and I do want thinner bezels.

but all that said, knowing the M2 has heating issues makes me happy lol. I feel urged to upgrade just because I can get a lot of the M1 now, but I think Ill be okay just holding it for a few years. It's definitely a great macbook

-----

I also recently used the airpods which came free with the macbook. I never once opened it. And honestly, I much prefer using the cheap wired headphones. I cant tell sound difference first of all, but more importantly:

-No charging airpods
-No worrying about battery life
-No worrying about battery degradation since these devices are meant to turn to shit in 2 years
-No syncing airpods with my devices which is a headache
-No worrying about expensive airpods falling out

So I ended up giving them away. The only thing I would really like is noise canceling. So I may upgrade to the Pro if I was sure they'd fit snugly.

But then when I think about noise canceling: I am rarely in noisy environments.

I bought the XM4s. They feel good. But I cannot see myself comfortably wearing them when Im in bed.

I really would want headphones/earbuds for at-home listening. I dont ever see myself wanting to ever listen to something in public. So I may return those too.

In some way it feels really gratifying not feeling like I NEED headphones/earbuds.

Maybe Ill get wired earbuds with noise canceling if that exists

Last edited:

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
-No charging airpods
-No worrying about battery life
-No worrying about battery degradation since these devices are meant to turn to shit in 2 years
-No syncing airpods with my devices which is a headache
-No worrying about expensive airpods falling out
Charging isn't really a problem since they charge quickly in the case? A quick 15min charge gets a good few hours of usage if they're completely empty
5 hours is more than enough continuous use unless you're on a long flight or whatever, surely?
Battery degradation happens to everything but "turn to shit" is a bit OTT
Sync them with one device and they're synced to everything attached to that iCloud account.
They stay in easier than EarPods in my experience, since they don't have the weight of the wire pulling down on them.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Charging isn't really a problem since they charge quickly in the case? A quick 15min charge gets a good few hours of usage if they're completely empty
5 hours is more than enough continuous use unless you're on a long flight or whatever, surely?
Battery degradation happens to everything but "turn to shit" is a bit OTT
Sync them with one device and they're synced to everything attached to that iCloud account.
They stay in easier than EarPods in my experience, since they don't have the weight of the wire pulling down on them.
I read a lot of articles saying that earbuds have such tiny batteries that they completely degrade. And they dont degrade equally for both. Dont these things last only like 1-2 years before it gets pretty bad?

And truthfully Id only need it to last 3 hours (for a movie), but the battery degradation and real world use makes me assume Ill get like 2 hours at best

Are they actually lasting 5 hours out of the box?

Again, for me its mostly private use at home. How good is ANC compared to the XM4? Maybe Ill get the airpod pros.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like AirPods very much, but they definitely last that long. And the low% charging is really fast. You can get 3 hours after charging them for 20 minutes.
Yes I am aware of that, it's more the idea that the battery degrades heavily and fast in a short time to the point that they last like 1 hour

According to a white paper by Tektronix, "the typical estimated life of a lithium-ion battery is about two to three years or 300 to 500 charge cycles, whichever occurs first." Tektronix recommends replacing batteries when the capacity drops below 80%. That's sobering, considering the Varta coin cells reach that point after 500 charge cycles, which gives you just over 16 months of a single daily charge.
Based on user reports, we know that first and second-generation AirPods lasted for about two years of daily use until the batteries had degraded to less than an hour of listening time. Of course, this all depends on how exactly you use your AirPods. It might not be possible to make your AirPods last for a lot more than two years, but you can do a few things to get more juice out of every charge and slow the batteries' decline.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Yes I am aware of that, it's more the idea that the battery degrades heavily and fast in a short time to the point that they last like 1 hour
I've no experience of long-term use. I had mine (version 1) for a year and used them often, but not often enough for the battery life to become a problem. I was just answering the "out of the box" question.

After a year with no bass in my life, I went back to wired headphones.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I like my AirPods Pro, but if possible I use real headphones to listen to music, watching movies etc.

Positional audio is cool though, would love to get something similar for my consoles

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
My AirPods Pro that i use like every single day, which are ... around ... 2 years old now
Last only around 1 hour and 40 minutes with Transparency turned on.

(I know that, because during this year's Vienna Half Marathon, they pretty much died on me when approaching the finish line.)
(For the Stockholm Marathon, ever so often, i just put one of the buds back into the charging case for a song or two, to recharge it.)

Transparency / ANC is the real battery hog, i feel. When i'm on the road bike, i just wear the right AirPod (so i'll hear cars approaching me from behind) and set it to "passive" (i.e. no ANC, no transparency; as the latter would just amplify the wind ...) and that one lasted me like 3 1/2 hours a few weeks ago.

In conclusion: Battery degradation is real, but in 95% of all cases, you can just quickly recharge both (or just one, alternating) AirPod in the case. And the case's charge will top off both buds several times.
That being said, i'll definitely order AirPods Pro 2 when they're announced. And just give my original ones away to someone who doesn't have any yet. It's not like they're "unusable" after 3 years. It's like handing someone your Series 3 AppleWatch as a hand me down. It's still a great device 🤷‍♂️

edit: Speaking of which. I was never aware you could check your Watch's battery health. Apparently my Series 4 is on 74%. Ouch 🤣

Last edited:

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
My battery life is at 84% and I setup an appointment through all to replace it at Best Buy. I showed up and Best Buy declined to replace it saying it must be 80% or lower. Keep in mind I was paying the $69 fee. They claimed that their agreement to service Apple batteries is 80% or less and I have to go to an Apple store directly if I want it replaced.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
my mom and grandma have recently run into some rare issues with iOS where the entire phone will freeze up and be unresponsive. Holding Up and Power or anything won't turn the phone off. They basically have to let it drain to die and recharge it to make it function (acting as a reboot). Both Verizon iPhones if that matters. Anyone have similar experiences and know how to deal with it? I've never had this problem.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
my mom and grandma have recently run into some rare issues with iOS where the entire phone will freeze up and be unresponsive. Holding Up and Power or anything won't turn the phone off. They basically have to let it drain to die and recharge it to make it function (acting as a reboot). Both Verizon iPhones if that matters. Anyone have similar experiences and know how to deal with it? I've never had this problem.
they have separate phones but having the same problem? that's bizarre. what phones are they

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I read a lot of articles saying that earbuds have such tiny batteries that they completely degrade. And they dont degrade equally for both. Dont these things last only like 1-2 years before it gets pretty bad?

And truthfully Id only need it to last 3 hours (for a movie), but the battery degradation and real world use makes me assume Ill get like 2 hours at best

Are they actually lasting 5 hours out of the box?

Again, for me its mostly private use at home. How good is ANC compared to the XM4? Maybe Ill get the airpod pros.
If you can wait then I'd maybe hold back until November. The current Pros will be 3 years old this November and it's highly likely there'll be an updated version then.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
they have separate phones but having the same problem? that's bizarre. what phones are they
I believe both are iPhone 13s? I know it's happened to my Mom once, and my Grandma at least twice. it seems like an iOS bug. She took it in to Verizon today to "get it fixed" but I haven't followed up on it lol

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get why it's not possible to save full-page screenshots on iOS as pictures. It saves them as a PDF instead.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
hmm just got the Magic Trackpad. New versions needs media controls and brigthness controls.

At first I was annoyed by the small trackpad, but I figure I'll likely get used to it (using 12.9" version). Maybe they could make it a bit bigger in version 2.

Hope they merge with MacOS soon. Close to perfect hardware… give me a "MacOS apps" mode.

Last edited:

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
On my iPad, one of my Safari bookmarks was moved to the beginning of the list for some reason. If I move it back to its original place, it stays there, but it's moved to the beginning on my iPhone. If I move it back on my iPhone, it's moved to the beginning on my iPad again. Rinse and repeat.

Fucking iCloud.

edit: Unsurprisingly, turning Safari sync off and on again didn't fix anything.

So this was still happening. My bookmarks were out of sync between my three devices. They were in the correct order on my phone, but not on my iPad and my Mac. Adjusting them on one of the latter two devices would screw up the sort order on my phone, and reordering them on my phone would vice-versa screw up the sort order on the other devices again.

I finally found a solution in a MacRumors thread, which is to rearrange all bookmarks at least once. So I picked up the last one and moved it to the front, and repeated this until the original first one was first again. This seems to have fixed what I assume to be corrupt order values in the bookmark list.

Did they change something about the Favorite/Bookmark page in Safari?
  • Open a new tab
  • Tap a Favorite folder to open it and tap a bookmark
  • Tap the address bar to open the Favorite page
I'm pretty sure that before 15.4, it would show the Favorite page. But now, it shows that Favorite folder from before.

Apparently, they reverted this behaviour at some point since that post. Thank god.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Anyone aware of any 6+ month long-term reviews of the M1 Pro/Max MacBook Pros?

Anyone in here willing to give a quick rundown of what their experience with them has been?

Might be getting one if I get the new job I'm applying for later this year. Even though affording it will be much easier with the new job, I still really want it to be a laptop that will last me a decade or so. I do plan to swap the battery every 3-4 years (if not sooner, depending on how my battery health readouts go) and lightly maintenance it in hopes of promoting longevity. Trying to get as many longer-term impressions as I can. Far as I can tell on a surface level, no long-term issues popping up for folks, but just want to be sure.

... Would be the most i've ever spent on any computer ever and I'm only eyeballing the M1 Pro 10cpu/16gpu config (the one just a step above the base model). I'm slightly of mind to bump RAM up to 32GB just for a little extra future proofing too, but still undecided on upgrading any of the spec beyond its normal configuration.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
My Cyberpunk phone is getting worse... It's going to be a long wait for the 14 to drop.... Hopefully my trusty X can hold on a little longer... 😬

H8DU7Dq.png

Anson225

Oct 26, 2017
Is it safe if I keep my MacBook plugged in in sleep mode over the weekend? Or should I turn it off and unplug? If I don't use it.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Quick homepod question that I can't find the answer to for some reason. Can anyone do Siri commands to play music and such, or just you + people you add through the Home app?

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
how is iCloud Drive? I currently use Google Drive and thinking of switching. iCloud Private Relay is an intriguing bonus.

Are the basics still the same? I can easily share folders full of documents that other people can download?

Johnny Ryall

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't realise you could check battery health on the watch. Series 6 watch, so about 2 years old, 86%! Guess I'm a heavy user

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
ok the 'use your ipad wirelessly as a second monitor' is pretty great. Also the 12.9 pro is a nice size next to the MBA 13" although the magic keyboard raises it up too high.

Had a morning with no electric so couldn't use my normal second monitor - so sat at my dining table with a nice breeze and view into the garden with the ipad for my teams chat leaving my main screen free.

Johnny Ryall

Oct 28, 2017
Unless the M2 brings efficiencies that improve battery life drastically I don't see the point in putting it in the iPad any time soon unless they open up iPad OS for Mac apps (they won't). The M1 iPad thrashes everything that's on the app store.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yeah, I don't even know why anyone would want a chip that runs even hotter than the already pretty spicy M1 in an iPad 🤷‍♂️

Johnny Ryall

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I don't even know why anyone would want a chip that runs even hotter than the already pretty spicy M1 in an iPad 🤷‍♂️

It's admittedly very cool holding that amount of raw power in a dinky little tablet, but besides games like Genshin Impact/Apex Legends or video editing nothing seems to tax it. Which is good! But it's a bit like taking your sports car on the school run. I wish they would open up the eco system a lot more than they have. At the very least let emulators on there!

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
www.macrumors.com

Bigger iPhone 14 Pro Max Camera Bump Shown Alongside iPhone 13 Pro Max

The camera bump on the upcoming iPhone 14 Pro Max is expected to be the largest rear lens housing Apple has ever installed on its flagship...

iphone-14-pro-max-camera-bump-compared-lipilipsi-16-9.jpg

14 Pro Max dummy unit (left) vs 13 Pro Max (right)

Not really surprising given the rumored sensor upgrades, but jeez that's quite the protrusion. I wonder if/when these phones will ever be able to have flush cameras again.

dkeane

Oct 27, 2017
So are the new cases going to have an ever bigger bump to protect those lenses?
They're already ridiculous.

Also interested in the weight.
Went from iPhone X to the 13 Pro and the weight difference was shocking.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.macrumors.com

Bigger iPhone 14 Pro Max Camera Bump Shown Alongside iPhone 13 Pro Max

The camera bump on the upcoming iPhone 14 Pro Max is expected to be the largest rear lens housing Apple has ever installed on its flagship...

iphone-14-pro-max-camera-bump-compared-lipilipsi-16-9.jpg

14 Pro Max dummy unit (left) vs 13 Pro Max (right)

Not really surprising given the rumored sensor upgrades, but jeez that's quite the protrusion. I wonder if/when these phones will ever be able to have flush cameras again.
Mmh, not looking good for my Backbone One.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mmh, not looking good for my Backbone One.

The Backbone Two just needs to have a more future-proofed design in general that accounts for cases as well.

(Though I'm not sure how they're going to future-proof for phones that are going to drop the lightning port in the near future)

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember my 9.7" getting as hot as my 12.9" now. But you are right, of course. Chips will get faster anyway, Did Apple ever update an iPad without updating the CPU/GPU?
Just playing NeoCab would rooooast my 9.7. I've actually been incredibly happy with the M1 running cool. I haven't played Genshin Impact or things that run hot though.