• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
My damn AirTag was delivered but no one answered so they sent it to a pickup station I can't even get until tomorrow. Why did a $30 tiny thing need a signature but my SteamDeck didn't? So stupid.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
My damn AirTag was delivered but no one answered so they sent it to a pickup station I can't even get until tomorrow. Why did a $30 tiny thing need a signature but my SteamDeck didn't? So stupid.

Probably because *anything* with an Apple tag is a magnet for thieves, both inside the delivery company and porch pirates.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Probably because *anything* with an Apple tag is a magnet for thieves, both inside the delivery company and porch pirates.
Literally everyone on my street has a doorbell camera and multiple cameras all over the place. This shit doesn't make sense anymore. Let me have the option to not require a signature.

Edit: And they didn't even TRY to get someone to answer the door because our records show no one rang the bell all day. They just walked up and stuck a note on the door. Fuck UPS.

Last edited:

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I thought the AirTag updates in "Find My" were relatively infrequent unless you turn on Lost Mode (which is how they have such a long battery life).

I also have AirTags on my dogs' collars and my wife and I did a test a few months ago. I was picking our dog up from the vet and there wasn't really an automatic update of him being away from home but, when she turned on Lost Mode, it took about 2-5 minutes for her to get an update that he was in the car with me near a particular intersection.

So, basically, my assumption is that if the AirTag is away from the owner's iPhone, it won't be able to provide an update to "Find My" automatically. Only when you engage Lost Mode does the AirTag start pinging other peoples' iPhones, which then allows "Find My" to get a more current location update.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Hmm that wasn't my experience last week. I was at an amusement park and split up with a friend while she held onto my backpack with an AirTag in it. To meet up for lunch I just tracked my backpack, didn't have to turn on lost mode.

I forget the details, but based on the posts about dogs here I think part of it might be based on movement? Like it won't actively update location while moving, but if it's been stationary for a bit (like however long my friend was chilling for lunch) it'll give a "last seen" update. Probably some other heuristic of idle time + number of iPhone pings or something too.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Hmm that wasn't my experience last week. I was at an amusement park and split up with a friend while she held onto my backpack with an AirTag in it. To meet up for lunch I just tracked my backpack, didn't have to turn on lost mode.

I forget the details, but based on the posts about dogs here I think part of it might be based on movement? Like it won't actively update location while moving, but if it's been stationary for a bit (like however long my friend was chilling for lunch) it'll give a "last seen" update. Probably some other heuristic of idle time + number of iPhone pings or something too.
Hmm, okay. That's so interesting. I guess I don't understand how these work as well as I thought.

One other anecdote is that on our last trip out of state, we tried using "Find My" to confirm our dogs were at home and it wasn't able to. It did have a "last seen" but it was a few days old. I would assume it couldn't provide an update because my wife's iPhone was obviously out of direct Bluetooth range (other side of the country). We did not continue the experiment by turning on Lost Mode, so it's hard to say if that would've provided the updated location.

One other note on that story - we have 2 dogs so we have 2 AirTags and they were from separate packages. So, I'd be surprised if both were defective.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
Question. Is Windows virtualization a thing on an iPad Pro? I plan on purchasing a Pro sometime this year and there's this one app I have and love that's unfortunately Windows only. Is there a way to stand up a Windows environment completely on the Pro itself, or should I go the route of setting up a Windows VM on my iMac and remote into that from the iPad?

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
Question. Is Windows virtualization a thing on an iPad Pro? I plan on purchasing a Pro sometime this year and there's this one app I have and love that's unfortunately Windows only. Is there a way to stand up a Windows environment completely on the Pro itself, or should I go the route of setting up a Windows VM on my iMac and remote into that from the iPad?

You can side-load the virtualization app UTM but it seems like a huge hassle: https://getutm.app/install/

Edit: and performance is apparently not great.

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up some AirPods (Generation 3) three days ago as they were on a deep discount and I wanted to use them as a trial run for getting AirPods Pro 2s later in the year (was planning on swapping my XM2s with the Pros if they were enticing enough), but I've found that having them in for an extended time period is quite painful in one of my ears (my right ear is fine, but my left ear starts getting sore; I think the plastic is pushing up against my ear) and definitely not very comfortable. It's a real deterrent to continue using them, and is definitely making me reconsider swapping over-ear headphones for the Pros later in the year.

I'm sticking with them for the moment as I'm hoping my ear will adapt as outside of that they'd be perfect for what I'm looking for, but wondering if anybody who had a similar issue found that it improved over time, or if it's better to accept that perhaps the fit just isn't suitable for me, and it'd also be good to know if anybody who felt similarly found the Pros to be more comfortable?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I picked up some AirPods (Generation 3) three days ago as they were on a deep discount and I wanted to use them as a trial run for getting AirPods Pro 2s later in the year (was planning on swapping my XM2s with the Pros if they were enticing enough), but I've found that having them in for an extended time period is quite painful in one of my ears (my right ear is fine, but my left ear starts getting sore; I think the plastic is pushing up against my ear) and definitely not very comfortable. It's a real deterrent to continue using them, and is definitely making me reconsider swapping over-ear headphones for the Pros later in the year.

I'm sticking with them for the moment as I'm hoping my ear will adapt as outside of that they'd be perfect for what I'm looking for, but wondering if anybody who had a similar issue found that it improved over time, or if it's better to accept that perhaps the fit just isn't suitable for me, and it'd also be good to know if anybody who felt similarly found the Pros to be more comfortable?

Extended use hurt me too at first, but either I got used to it or my ear got used to it, cause after a while they didn't cause any pain at all. Can't recall how long it took, maybe a month or two.

I found the Pros to be immediately comfortable and don't remember ever having any issues with them.

Oct 22, 2020
I'm interested to see if we get any updates to the Airpods Max next week.

If we do, the most likely thing is just some new colors, but it would be cool to get some kind of revision.

Thinking of finally getting a pair.

Oct 27, 2017
Extended use hurt me too at first, but either I got used to it or my ear got used to it, cause after a while they didn't cause any pain at all. Can't recall how long it took, maybe a month or two.

I found the Pros to be immediately comfortable and don't remember ever having any issues with them.
Ahh that's pretty much exactly what I was hoping for; I'll stick with them for awhile so, and the bolded is also good to hear; I guess I shouldn't discount the Pros later in the year just yet then! Thanks!

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
What do people think about the rumours for iPadOS being more MacOs like with windows(?!!)? I really like that the iPad UI is different than desktop in a way that still lets you multitask with PiP and split screen. But actual windows like a desktop UI sounds like a nightmare. Hopefully that's not actually what they mean, or apple have something clever up their sleeve.

A big reason the iPhone was so successful was that they didn't just try to cram a windows 95 UI into a phone screen, as Android originally tried to do. So I really hope they don't try to do something that dumb with the iPad.

If anything I'd prefer it if they made the Mac more iPad like for people who want that. Basically make it a tiling window manager.

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
What do people think about the rumours for iPadOS being more MacOs like with windows(?!!)? I really like that the iPad UI is different than desktop in a way that still lets you multitask with PiP and split screen. But actual windows like a desktop UI sounds like a nightmare. Hopefully that's not actually what they mean, or apple have something clever up their sleeve.

A big reason the iPhone was so successful was that they didn't just try to cram a windows 95 UI into a phone screen, as Android originally tried to do. So I really hope they don't try to do something that dumb with the iPad.

If anything I'd prefer it if they made the Mac more iPad like for people who want that. Basically make it a tiling window manager.
You are in the minority. People have been begging for years to have the iPadOS be more like MacOS. No point having an M1 chip in an iPad if you aren't going to do anything to take advantage of it.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020

Don't think they'll go with actual windows. Do hope they fix the current "multitask" UI because that is unintuitive and cluttered af. Can't count the amount of times I had to help out parents or friends when they didn't know how to get rid of "the mails in the browser" or whatever.

macOS basically went in the direction of iOS style multitasking as an option with the fullscreen views and split-view support as well as LaunchPad (is it still called that?) never use it)

Oct 22, 2020
Based on what I've read, it seems like iPadOS is definitely going to get some kind of "laptop mode" that is automatically enabled when a keyboard/mouse is attached.

But people are probably getting their hopes up, given that Apple has consistently disappointed in this area. In all likelihood, it will only be marginally better than what we currently have and still miles away from a MacOS experience.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Based on what I've read, it seems like iPadOS is definitely going to get some kind of "laptop mode" that is automatically enabled when a keyboard/mouse is attached.

But people are probably getting their hopes up, given that Apple has consistently disappointed in this area. In all likelihood, it will only be marginally better than what we currently have and still miles away from a MacOS experience.
I wouldn't be surprised if it just little tweaks as every year instead of something really new

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
You are in the minority. People have been begging for years to have the iPadOS be more like MacOS. No point having an M1 chip in an iPad if you aren't going to do anything to take advantage of it.

I think people are conflating having a desktop windowed GUI with having a more open OS though. I don't think keeping the iPad OS restrictions the same but adding a MacOS windowed GUI would suddenly make it more powerful or more able to take advantage of the M1, and it would be a nightmare to use on the touchscreen. It would make much more sense to fix the current multitasking iPad UI and e.g. let you split the screen in three/four and size things how you like.

EDIT: The Microsoft surface is a desktop windowed GUI you can use with a touchscreen. From what I remember, the experience is not good when it comes to using it as a windowed UI without trackpad/keyboard? I don't think a touchscreen MacBook is what people want even if they think it is.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Don't think they'll go with actual windows. Do hope they fix the current "multitask" UI because that is unintuitive and cluttered af. Can't count the amount of times I had to help out parents or friends when they didn't know how to get rid of "the mails in the browser" or whatever.

Yeah the current UI is terrible. Its way too easy to accidentally activate and not at all intuitive.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
ffff. I think the FaceID on my X is busted... It only works very intermittently now... that kinda sucks big time...

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
Anyone else find the three-finger pinch version of copy and paste really difficult on the one platform that most needs it (iOS)?

edit: oh thankfully there's an alternative. Three finger tap and hold anywhere brings up a contextual menu that makes it much easier.

Last edited:

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
Also wondering if anyone else noticed a much zippier experience surfing the web once they upgraded to a 5G phone—but only when on Wi-Fi simultaneously, if that makes sense? The responsiveness in loading web pages is night and day vs my Wi-Fi-only iPad. I always thought cellular devices picked the fastest of the two.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Also wondering if anyone else noticed a much zippier experience surfing the web once they upgraded to a 5G phone—but only when on Wi-Fi simultaneously, if that makes sense? The responsiveness in loading web pages is night and day vs my Wi-Fi-only iPad. I always thought cellular devices picked the fastest of the two.

Nope, and 5G does nothing in this regard if you're on wifi anyways. The difference is probably that the phone is more powerful than the iPad, loads client-side code faster and maybe even has a better wifi chip.

Oct 25, 2017

Webpage execution and rendering takes a surprising amount of processing power.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
For reference, we're taking about a vanilla iPhone 13 vs a 4th gen iPad Air both on my TP-Link AX5400 WiFi 6 Router.

Is there somewhere I can go to compare benchmarks in chip performance?
Just realized it's just the A14 chip. The wifi chip apparently has 2x2 MIMO on the iPhone vs the iPad's 1x1

I just bought both but I think i'm gonna replace the iPad with a 5th gen for other reasons (was on sale but the speakers in it were defective; can't get the same deal so might as well go full price for the M1 for future-proofing)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
For reference, we're taking about a vanilla iPhone 13 vs a 4th gen iPad Air both on my TP-Link AX5400 WiFi 6 Router.

Is there somewhere I can go to compare benchmarks in chip performance?
Just realized it's just the A14 chip. The wifi chip apparently has 2x2 MIMO on the iPhone vs the iPad's 1x1

I just bought both but I think i'm gonna replace the iPad with a 5th gen for other reasons (was on sale but the speakers in it were defective; can't get the same deal so might as well go full price for the M1 for future-proofing)

Also on a phone the website might be sending resources more optimized for mobile vs desktop for the iPad.

Hud Hastings

Jul 1, 2018
I got a set of Comply foam tips for my AirPods Pro a few weeks back, and they're fantastic. Regular AirPods did an absolute shite job of staying in my ears, and the Pros were a good bit better on a good day, but if it was at all hot outside (which it often is where I live), they'd start sliding out quickly and I'd have to readjust them every couple of minutes. The foam tips just fully stay in my ears and barely budge. I keep adjusting them out of habit lol, and it's really not necessary. Heavy recommend for anyone who has that kind of trouble with the Pros.

Oct 29, 2017
I hate that my MacBook and iPad and Watch are out of sync with my iPhone for message notifications. When I check them on my phone it should clear them out of all my other devices. But no. They stay on my other devices until I manually check them on one of them. Then the other devices clear them out. Its so annoying. I'll get home and open my laptop and I'll have dozens of notifications pop up on screen and a badge on the icon telling me I have a hundred messages.

I don't even know how I'd fix that short of logging everything out of iCloud and I don't want to do that. I don't know what it would mess up.
10000% agree. I turned off the badge on my iPad as it was driving me crazy

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
The really annoying thing is when you get a text notification on your Apple Watch 30 seconds to a couple minutes after you already viewed the text on your phone. The two are directly connected.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
10000% agree. I turned off the badge on my iPad as it was driving me crazy
It's crazy too because I'll literally have my iPhone open and in the Messages app and I'll get a message and it'll still ping my Watch and my iPad and show up on my MacBook all on a weird delay for each one even though I'm literally staring at the message.

How did they break this continuity feature?

Oct 29, 2017
It's crazy too because I'll literally have my iPhone open and in the Messages app and I'll get a message and it'll still ping my Watch and my iPad and show up on my MacBook all on a weird delay for each one even though I'm literally staring at the message.

How did they break this continuity feature?
It's always been broken for me, but I've only been using iMessages for two years or so 🤷‍♀️

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So my GF dropped her iPhone and the touch screen broke on certain parts. It was manageable, but the phone triggered the mandatory code for FaceID to work again. And now she can't enter her code because of the screen not working in that exact spot.

Any suggestions how to unlock her iPhone? For some reason the phone doesn't pull half the screen down when you swipe down. It could be the touch screen or it could be something else (it works on my phone). And she doesn't have to unlock iPhone through Apple Watch feature on.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
So my GF dropped her iPhone and the touch screen broke on certain parts. It was manageable, but the phone triggered the mandatory code for FaceID to work again. And now she can't enter her code because of the screen not working in that exact spot.

Any suggestions how to unlock her iPhone? For some reason the phone doesn't pull half the screen down when you swipe down. It could be the touch screen or it could be something else (it works on my phone). And she doesn't have to unlock iPhone through Apple Watch feature on.
Reachability needs to be turned on in Accessibility settings for that pull-down thing to work. And I don't think there's a way to do that if you can't unlock the phone.

I don't think there's any solution except getting a screen repair.

Mar 3, 2018
My AirPods Pro kept connecting randomly to my phone and I went to the apple store but they refused to swap it last month saying it's an out of warranty problem and I'll have to pay. This is over a month ago. Fast forward to today my AirPods Pro's developed a very faint crackling. Went in for a genus bar repair appointment. Told the employee my problem. He took my AirPods Pro's, went to the back and came back 2 minutes later and gave me new AirPods Pro's and that was it. Was just weirded out how they gave me new ones over this issue compared to what I have been dealing with before with the random connecting and disconnecting Bluetooth issues. I guess the crackling is a known defect. Anyway, just glad that I have new ones now.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My AirPods Pro kept connecting randomly to my phone and I went to the apple store but they refused to swap it last month saying it's an out of warranty problem and I'll have to pay. This is over a month ago. Fast forward to today my AirPods Pro's developed a very faint crackling. Went in for a genus bar repair appointment. Told the employee my problem. He took my AirPods Pro's, went to the back and came back 2 minutes later and gave me new AirPods Pro's and that was it. Was just weirded out how they gave me new ones over this issue compared to what I have been dealing with before with the random connecting and disconnecting Bluetooth issues. I guess the crackling is a known defect. Anyway, just glad that I have new ones now.

I had the crackling too and I swear the replacement non-crackle versions have some sort of newer hardware in them that just makes them better. Connects faster and easier to my devices and just less weirdness in general.

Oct 25, 2017

Apple will do out of warranty replacements programs for specific known issues form time to time. (like the old butterfly keyboard problem)

edit, yep:

AirPods Pro Service Program for Sound Issues - Apple Support

AirPods Pro Service Program for Sound Issues

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
On iOS, Control Center is a fullscreen semi-transparent overlay above the current screen content. You can dismiss it
1) by tapping the background,
2) by swiping up,
3) or by swiping up from the home indicator.

The Home menu is a fullscreen semi-transparent overlay above Control Center. You can dismiss it
1) by swiping up from the home indicator.

The accessory menu is a fullscreen semi-transparent overlay above the Home menu. You can dismiss it it
1) by swiping up
2) or by pressing the X button in the top right corner.

🤔

luca

Oct 25, 2017
It's perfectly fine for me and I basically charge it every couple of days or every day and a half (taking into account I work from home and therefore on wifi most of the day). Moved to it from an XR that I barely made a dent in battery health and it's pretty much the same, honestly, which is great for my use case. Regarding an intensive day out and about (getting myself entertained in the subway plus bluetooth headphones for music) I can easily get 6 hours of screen-on time and a 25% battery left when I'm back home.

If you come from an iPhone 7 you'll notice the difference right away.
This sounds good! Thanks for the impression. I think I might buy a 13 mini when they get it in stock. The microphone has just died on my iPhone 7. And the battery is horrible.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would pay a premium if Apple released a small wireless fingerprint reader for those that don't want to use their keyboard. Or alternatively they could build a reader into the standalone touchpad.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Dunno where else to post this, but man hard iPhone drops are just the most nerve-wracking things.

Put my phone into my daughter's diaper bag Saturday evening while unloading her and a few other things from my car, but apparently I didn't zip up the compartment completely and there was a six inch (or so) opening. The action of my slinging the bag onto my back caused the phone to come flying out of that opening right onto the concrete of our driveway.

It was dark and the phone was face down. I thought for sure it was shattered in a billion pieces but upon picking it up it looks like I really lucked out. The leather case I had it in has a nice chunk taken out of the corner, there's a small hairline crack in the bottom right corner of my glass screen protector and two small nicks in the frame of the phone itself but otherwise it looks like it survived.

It's all I thought about on Sunday...how I somehow missed zipping that compartment completely and almost ruined my phone in the process. Ugh.