• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Baconbitz

Oct 27, 2017
How come Apple (purposely?) Booked the ability to use 3rd party keyboards on iOS. It seems like Apple wants you to only use their keyboard.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Some apps require Apple keyboard. Secure apps like LastPass only load Apple.

And apparently password fields in Safari, which I.. Sort of understand.

But yeah, aside from those rare occasions, I've been using Swiftkey just fine. And thank god for that, cause the default keyboard's autocorrect feature is utter shit in Finnish and I'm pretty much unable to write without ac anymore lol.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Go for the 8 if you can afford it.

Anybody in here bought a sport loop for the Watch? Thoughts?

I'm wearing it right now, it is far and away the most comfortable Apple Watch band I've used. Even more so than the regular nylon bands. I don't even feel it during the day

However, as a friend of mine put it "the sport loop is a great way to make your $600 Watch look like a $9 Watch" which I tend to agree with

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the watch, it's interesting to see how stable the Series 2 Edition price is. Barely any movement over the past weeks while SS has lost another 50€ starting price (taking about leftover stock). Prices are hitting 600ish € on used Edition models, I might pick one up if they drop another 200 or so bucks. Truly a buyers market. Like the look and the cloud band but haven't seen it in person yet.

On the other hand I wonder how Apple support treats Gen 1 SS exchanges for the time being? You reckon they still have exchange stock or would swap it for a S2 SS since that's basically gone from the product portfolio? Have AC+ obviously and watchOS 4 is pretty rough on the performance front (especially third party apps started crashing so frequently, stock are still fine) so I'd like an affordable "upgrade" either through AC+ or buying a used S2.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of the watch, it's interesting to see how stable the Series 2 Edition price is. Barely any movement over the past weeks while SS has lost another 50€ starting price (taking about leftover stock). Prices are hitting 600ish € on used Edition models, I might pick one up if they drop another 200 or so bucks. Truly a buyers market. Like the look and the cloud band but haven't seen it in person yet.

On the other hand I wonder how Apple support treats Gen 1 SS exchanges for the time being? You reckon they still have exchange stock or would swap it for a S2 SS since that's basically gone from the product portfolio? Have AC+ obviously and watchOS 4 is pretty rough on the performance front (especially third party apps started crashing so frequently, stock are still fine) so I'd like an affordable "upgrade" either through AC+ or buying a used S2.

Barring some extreme circumstances, you'll pretty much always get the exact same model back from the genius bar that you give them. If you have an iPad 2 and it breaks, and for some unholy reason are inclined it get it swapped, they will hand you back an iPad 2.

That being said I have a space black SS S2 that I have yet to list for sale, AC+ through Sept 21 2018, if you were interested. I've just been lazy about putting it up on facebook marketplace or something

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Barring some extreme circumstances, you'll pretty much always get the exact same model back from the genius bar that you give them. If you have an iPad 2 and it breaks, and for some unholy reason are inclined it get it swapped, they will hand you back an iPad 2.
Ah i see. The MacBook 2012 (lack of replacement parts iirc) and Watch beta "upgrades" (for whatever reason) confused me then.

E: Oh just seen your offer. Thanks but I'm either looking for silver SS or the Edition (plus I'm in Europe and I'm sure customs love Apple product imports lol).

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

Oddly, when my 2016 MBP's keyboard got replaced earlier this year, Apple replaced it with the 2017 model keyboard, which has symbols on the Control and Option keys that the 2016 did not. So now I kind of have a Frankenstein MBP which is part 2016 and part 2017.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I want to get AppleCare+ for my new iPhone 8 plus.
2 screen repairs for 29€ each sounds good to me, but I have a question about the battery warranty:
My ~2 years old 6 has only around half of the battery capacity left, so I don't want that to happen with the new phone. As far as I understand the website, with AC+ I could exchange/let them repair my phone during the first 2 years if the battery capacity goes below 80%, right?
Does the battery qualify for the express exchange thats included in AppleCare+?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Between iPhone SE and 6s, which is the better one to get?
My dads SE just flies, even on iOS 11. My brothers 6S doesn't even compare. If you are totally fine with the SE screen size, I'd almost recommend it over the 6S. Design looks better imho and the cam also takes fantastic shots. Was legit blown away by the pics he showed me from his last trip. Just my 2cts
I assume SE is also cheaper to acquire than 6S?

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
It's a $100 difference for the base configs in the American store. The SE is a great little rocket but you do miss out on 3D Touch. And that's a really big part of getting around in iOS 11.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
They're both extremely old. I wouldn't get either. But if you have to, get the SE for now if it's super cheap and upgrade when the next cheap model comes along. Or get the 6S if you want something a little bigger, but put a case on it because it's ugly as sin.

Frankly, I wouldn't go any older than a 7 at this point.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Is there any way of seeing all the family shared content such as movies in one go?
It is super annoying that I have go to to purchases and select the individual family member to see their respective purchases instead of all at one glance.

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
Apple needs to bring out a Beats X2 that changes the cable. I hate the way the cable sits around your neck.

Oct 25, 2017
It took a while for me to get it set up and get used to using it, but the new Apple TV really is nice. The TV app can use some work (notably, there needs to be a way to show me every show I'm currently set to watch), but things work well. Some apps keep forgetting login details, but most don't, and I blame the apps for that. Also, I really like the remote and haven't had any problems using it or picking it up. I also wish Apple could open up the Siri searching for Plex.

Also, my one lingering gripe with the AirPods is I wish they maintained a bluetooth connection to a device for a few minutes after removing them. For example, I frequently use just one AirPod, and I can't do the remove and resume feature because when you remove it, it immediately loses the connection. I just wish there was a 60 second timeout for when I have to quickly remove it, talk to someone, and then I can put it back in to resume. It's a minor annoyance, but it bugs me at times.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to play VP9 on the Apple TV 4K? Some third party app? Just found out you can actually download YouTube 4K HDR videos without any hassle whatsoever but Plex converts it and I can't get Infuse to recognize my shared folder to test it (seriously, who thought messing with SMB shit was a good idea at their team)
I would guess the A10X shouldn't have issues with software playback

Annette

Oct 27, 2017
BC Canada
I just upgraded to the X from 6s, the 6s was perfectly fine. My husband is now using it and loves it. The X is faster/more responsive, sure, but the 6s is nothing to sneeze at, it's a great phone. It served me so well and would still be my phone if my husband wasn't using a 4 (!!!) and wanted to upgrade. Fwiw, I use my phone constantly - Twitter, Hangouts, Slack, email, shopping, NYT/WaPo apps, NYT crossword. I don't really use it for games though. I don't know anything about the SE.

OP
OP

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to play VP9 on the Apple TV 4K? Some third party app? Just found out you can actually download YouTube 4K HDR videos without any hassle whatsoever but Plex converts it and I can't get Infuse to recognize my shared folder to test it (seriously, who thought messing with SMB shit was a good idea at their team)
I would guess the A10X shouldn't have issues with software playback
I bought a Chromecast Ultra instead of an Apple TV 4k because of YouTube. It sucks. I'd rather have the Apple TV.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Chromecast Ultra instead of an Apple TV 4k because of YouTube. It sucks. I'd rather have the Apple TV.
I've had to use chromecast functionality when YouTube broke their android tv app for like a month. I much prefer having a dedicated app and remote. Wish these two corps would just get their shit together.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

It really makes no sense to me. Google is making money off of the content on YouTube, not the video codec. They need to decide whether they want to be a walled garden and circle the wagons around their content so that only Android devices can view it, or be platform neutral and fully embrace other ecosystems in providing content to everyone. Right now it feels like different factions within Google are working at cross purposes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really makes no sense to me. Google is making money off of the content on YouTube, not the video codec. They need to decide whether they want to be a walled garden and circle the wagons around their content so that only Android devices can view it, or be platform neutral and fully embrace other ecosystems in providing content to everyone. Right now it feels like different factions within Google are working at cross purposes.
Google wants to force Apple's hand. 4k isn't a big deal right now, but it will be eventually, so the war is ripe for fighting. It's just super annoying for us. I'd swap out my Chromecast Ultra for an Apple TV 4k in a heartbeat if the codec wars would end.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apple usually tries to force other companies to adopt their standards on this stuff, but I kind of suspect that both YouTube is large enough and the Apple TV 4K is low-volume enough that Apple are going to look like the losers here.

Deleted member 1062

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apple usually tries to force other companies to adopt their standards on this stuff, but I kind of suspect that both YouTube is large enough and the Apple TV 4K is low-volume enough that Apple are going to look like the losers here.
Yep! Same reason amazon keeps dragging their feet on their prime video app. Apple is huge when it comes to iPhones and iPads but Apple TV is relatively small

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Amazon wants you to buy the Fire TV and Google wants you to buy a Chromecast/Android box. They have a negative incentive to make their stuff work well on an Apple TV, both a competitor and a small-time one at that

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon wants you to buy the Fire TV and Google wants you to buy a Chromecast/Android box. They have a negative incentive to make their stuff work well on an Apple TV, both a competitor and a small-time one at that

I'm aware. What I was trying to get at is that there's different factions within Google doing different things. The advertising people know that Google is making most of their money on ads, including ads on YouTube. These people don't give af about an Android walled garden, they want YouTube playing on all the platforms. But the hardware and Android people at Google want an Android fiefdom. These factions are working against each other. Ultimately the media people are right -- Google doesn't make that much money from Android licenses. Advertising is still their bread and butter. But Google has this culture where they have to compete against anything any tech company does, so it's just a shitshow of different initiatives that end up costing them revenue. Reminds me of the way Sony is between their media and PS divisions.

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware. What I was trying to get at is that there's different factions within Google doing different things. The advertising people know that Google is making most of their money on ads, including ads on YouTube. These people don't give af about an Android walled garden, they want YouTube playing on all the platforms. But the hardware and Android people at Google want an Android fiefdom. These factions are working against each other. Ultimately the media people are right -- Google doesn't make that much money from Android licenses. Advertising is still their bread and butter. But Google has this culture where they have to compete against anything any tech company does, so it's just a shitshow of different initiatives that end up costing them revenue. Reminds me of the way Sony is between their media and PS divisions.

I would wager the amount of revenue they lose by not playing 4K on the Apple TV is essentially nothing. The number of people who have Apple TV 4Ks is relatively small and the percentage of those who will avoid watching YouTube because their ATV4K doesn't play it in 4K is approaching 0. Like, most people's solution here is just going to be "watch it in 1080p" or "watch it on another device that does do 4K", so Google gets their ad dollar either way.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
My internet is out at home so I want to use my phone as a hotspot for my iPad.

If I use the automatic hotspot option to connect directly from my iPad, does the iPad then know it's using a mobile phone for the internet and change its data rules? Or does it still dumbly think it's on pure Wi-Fi and it'll go crazy?

Depending on it I'll have to go through the settings on all our iPads turning off auto update apps, auto download podcasts etc

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I'm trying to help my roommate install an SSD into his 2012 non-retina MBP.

It doesn't show up in disk utility at all. I've reseated the SATA connector several times, reset the PRAM and SMC, nothing. We installed the HDD back into it, boots and everything. So the odds of it being a bad SATA connector are pretty low.

I don't know what the next thing to try is, I've never done this before

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm trying to help my roommate install an SSD into his 2012 non-retina MBP.

It doesn't show up in disk utility at all. I've reseated the SATA connector several times, reset the PRAM and SMC, nothing. We installed the HDD back into it, boots and everything. So the odds of it being a bad SATA connector are pretty low.

I don't know what the next thing to try is, I've never done this before

Maybe the SSD is bad? I put an SSD in my 2011 MBP with no hassles.

Random question - is it possible to make Siri play a tone? I called the pharmacy today using my EarPods and when the recording said to press 8, I was like "uhhhh". (It didn't accept the spoken number)

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question: I'm planning on running Windows 10 Education on my new MacBook. For mostly just doing web work and not anything too intensive/space consuming, would it be better to run it through boot camp or Parallels? Also, generally what does everyone recommend size wise for a Windows partition? I'm only working with 128 GB unfortunately and would not be saving much if anything via Windows itself, maybe just some PDFs and what not. Thanks in advance!

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Hoping for a Homepod availability date soon. I've been itching to have a proper speaker setup in the apartment. I'm currently using an old Airport Express with a set of desktop speakers, but they're really lacking some oomph.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I really regret upgrading to High Sierra, my Mac Mini has been running like absolute shit since I upgraded. Even when I'm doing something as simple as typing, what I'm typing is usually lagging behind by a second or two. I'm glad I didn't upgrade my Macbook, probably just going to keep it on Sierra after this experience.

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really regret upgrading to High Sierra, my Mac Mini has been running like absolute shit since I upgraded. Even when I'm doing something as simple as typing, what I'm typing is usually lagging behind by a second or two. I'm glad I didn't upgrade my Macbook, probably just going to keep it on Sierra after this experience.

That's odd. I've definitely had some major issues with High Sierra, but purely from a performance perspective, it's been an upgrade.

OP
OP

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fresh install? High Sierra is the best Mac OS upgrade in years.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
That's odd. I've definitely had some major issues with High Sierra, but purely from a performance perspective, it's been an upgrade.

I wish I could say the same. Performance is a big reason why I upgraded(since I upgraded on the advice of people back in the old forum), but it's what's been hit hardest by the upgrade. Like right now I'm on my Mac typing this post and it's running fine, but then all of a sudden, the performance will drop and I'll be dealing with shitty laggy performance for the next hour or so. This never happened with Sierra.

Fresh install? High Sierra is the best Mac OS upgrade in years.

Clearly it's not the best(for me atleast). Fresh install is not an option right now, not only do I not have the time for it, but it would take too much effort to put my Mac back in the state it's in right now.

Either way, if Sierra worked fine without doing a fresh install from El Capitan, I don't think it's acceptable to have to do a fresh install to get High Sierra working correctly.

OP
OP

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Relax, there's no need to get offended. You got a borked install. Fresh install it. If you can't, sorry. It's been great for 99% of us.