• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
It is very interesting to see phones with fingerprint readers through the screen though. I didn't think that was an actual thing when Apple stated they didn't explore that avenue.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I haven't used an iPod since the iPhone came out lol.
My 13 year old 5th gen iPod is still going strong. Click wheel has lost its click and the battery barely holds its charge but it still works. My little hi-fi has an iPod dock on it so it just stays permanently connected to that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 134

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol at people believing Apple couldn't put a fingerprint sensor in a display when only their iPhone X has a proper notch with no chin or forehead. You know, the whole point of a notch. No other company seems to have the engineering capability to pull it off. All these fake notches have bezels. Scrubs.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason the iPhone X even has a notch is for the FaceID infrared hardware. Otherwise I bet they could've fit the front camera and mic into a small sliver at the top.

The real reason these Android companies are doing the notch is because they know Apple wanted to create a unique look that people could easily tell "that's an iPhone" for all models going forwards. These Android companies have have no self-confidence, or maybe even care, to create their own brand, and would rather just try to be associated with Apple visually.

If Jobs was still alive there'd be 20 lawsuits filed right now.

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone waiting to buy an iPad Pro with Face ID, no home button, no top and bottom bezel, and a notch?

Yep, bought a pro late last year but returned it unopened. After using my iPhone X for a while, made me realise how much better the interface is without the home button plus the mock ups for the Pro X look incredible

I might be tempted to go for the regular iPad if they do a redesign though, fear I might have to replace my late 2013 MacBook Pro soon and didn't realise how expensive the latest MacBook pro's have gotten

Hard to justify buying a MacBook Pro and a iPad Pro X

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
G0HDmdH_d.jpg

10th Challenge completed, I love doing these.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Wtf is with the widget screen lag on iOS??

Did it suddenly get worse in the latest version? It literally locks my phone for a second or two when I go to the widget page.

It's embarassingly bad. Cripes Apple. Steve is rolling. Making it hard to be an apple snob these days..

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf is with the widget screen lag on iOS??

Did it suddenly get worse in the latest version? It literally locks my phone for a second or two when I go to the widget page.

It's embarassingly bad. Cripes Apple. Steve is rolling. Making it hard to be an apple snob these days..

No lag here on my iPhone X. Have you tried doing a full reboot?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the widget screen is something they gotta fix. It's not lag per se but the widgets update the displayed data when you finally land at the widget sheet. They should preload the stuff when you are on the cover sheet to avoid this disruption.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They gotta change widgets anyway. I actually get use out of them but I keep forgetting they're there because they're off on their own page, which is just a vertical scrolling list. I put the most important stuff at the very top or bottom because hell of I'm gonna remember the order of my widgets in the middle

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really use widgets anymore. Even though I have just three of them (Weather, Agenda, Philips Hue), the performance is just terrible. Most of the time, when I open the screen, it first has to update the widgets, which may take up to two seconds. And the Hue widget, which is the only one I actively interact with, usually takes up to four seconds until it registers my taps.

Don't even get me started on the scrolling performance. It's a mess.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I want to use the weather widget, but it never actually shows accurate information. I don't fucking get it.

Widget:
1PUjuDP.jpg

App (i.e. accurate information):
Z84i0XN.jpg

I just don't get it. How can something so simple be so broken?

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I want to use the weather widget, but it never actually shows accurate information. I don't fucking get it.

Widget:
1PUjuDP.jpg

Z84i0XN.jpg

Is the Location services turned off for weather app? If so it doesn't update the weather in the widget until the app is opened.

Oct 27, 2017

Widget:
1PUjuDP.jpg

Z84i0XN.jpg

I recommend using Weatherline instead. It's probsly the most accurate if weather apps I've used over the years and it got a widget a while back.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Is the Location services turned off for weather app? If so it doesn't update the weather in the widget until the app is opened.

Location services are on. The information on the widget actually doesn't update after opening the app either lol.

I recommend using Weatherline instead. It's probsly the most accurate if weather apps I've used over the years and it got a widget a while back.

Can't find it on the Finnish app store, unfortunately. That's fine though, I actually like the weather app itself, and tapping it open on the home screen isn't much slower than swiping to the widgets on the lock screen.

Oct 27, 2017
The Verge: Apple patented a keyboard that can't be defeated by crumbs

Screen_Shot_2018_03_09_at_11.50.20_AM.png

Apple filed a patent made public yesterday for a keyboard that resists crumbs. The patent describes two different ways that a keyboard can keep dirt out, either by sealing gaps off or having a membrane beneath each key that would blow out air every time a key is pressed, pushing out unwanted debris.

From the figures shown in the patent, it's clear that Apple is considering many different approaches and alternatives to create a crumb-resistant keyboard. The patent was filed on September 8th, 2016

Would have been nice if they'd included these in the MBPs. I'm sure there are more than a few people who've had to pay out for top case replacements because of dodgy keyboards in the 2015 MBs & 2016-2017 MBPs. Hopefully these are one of the patents that actually show up in a product instead of being filed and going nowhere.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no. Just give us the pre-butterfly keyboard back. Even when the butterfly keys work, they feel awful. After two years I still hate typing on it due to the lack of key travel.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, no. Just give us the pre-butterfly keyboard back. Even when the butterfly keys work, they feel awful. After two years I still hate typing on it due to the lack of key travel.
The v2 keyboards feel tolerable, and even sometimes satisfying once you get used to them, but they still need work. I'd be interested in what they could do with another iteration.

Bigger takeaway from that patent for me is that it could potentially make the keyboard water resistant.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
The v2 keyboards feel tolerable, and even sometimes satisfying once you get used to them, but they still need work. I'd be interested in what they could do with another iteration.

Not for me. I have a 2016 MBP, whose keyboard was upgraded to the 2017 when the first one broke. I'm sure the first-gen butterfly was even worse, but the new ones are both terrible if you type with any level of velocity like I do. This will be the last Mac laptop I buy unless they can sort this out.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
A family member's magic mouse keeps disconnecting then reconnecting itself at random, and it's happening about every 3 to 5 minutes. I've tried disconnecting it and have changed the batteries. What else can I do?

I seem to remember this happening years ago, but forget exactly what fixed it.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
How do I fix my stuck "i" key in my 2016 13" MBP with TB? Dd I get a crumb underneath it? What is the best method to fix it? Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
I happen to adapt and like the new keyboards pretty quickly, and I've got a big mechanical keyboard I use at my desktop. If the reliability issues are as big as the Apple press has made them out to be, it's a problem they have to solve, but who knows what the actual incidence is.

Either way the people expecting dramatic changes are going to be disappointed. They're not going to bring back USB-A ports and the like.

Oct 25, 2017
So this is stupid, but if you get signed out of an app on Apple TV, new episodes won't appear in the TV app anymore until you sign back in, and since there's no master list to know which shows you are following, it's a guessing game to see what's up. This is why I wasn't getting any notifications of new Full Frontal episodes in the TV app because I wasn't signed in to TBS anymore because this single sign in stuff is garbage and expires like every month. Barf.

OP
OP

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Samsung paired this lovely hardware with half-baked software. I love Android and use it every day, but I don't like any of what Samsung does to it. If Samsung would just get out of its own way, build hardware and let Google handle the software, the S9 might be the best phone on the market. Instead, I found myself longing for simpler, smoother features to better suit this good-looking phone.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/samsung-galaxy-s9-is-impressive-and-infuriating-1520514000

In an obvious attempt to replicate Apple's Face ID system, Samsung has introduced a new combination face-scanning / iris-scanning feature that can be used to unlock the phone instead of the fingerprint scanner. It will use either the more-secure iris scanner or the quicker-but-less-secure face scanner, depending on the lighting conditions you're in. However, it's slow, blinks an annoying red light when it activates the iris scanner, and never feels as seamless as Face ID. Good thing the fingerprint scanner is easier to use now.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/8/17093588/samsung-galaxy-s9-plus-phone-review

Last edited:

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I still can't believe that it's not possible to buy iOS apps from a Mac/PC anymore. They need to bring this back.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017

Ugh, phone reviews in 2018. Smaller bezels are "immersive" now?

Still have no idea what Samsung was thinking of with their creepy Animoji ripoff though. Should have taken one look at the results and realized it was a better idea to scrap it than give people uncanney valley features they'll never want to use.

Apropos of nothing, if we're getting a March event, this week is the latest we're going to hear about it.

Deleted member 20941

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok guys I need your help. I'm getting a new phone and after two years with Android I'm confident in trying out iOS again. I really want a good screen and a nice camera both for photos and video. Right now I'm pretty stuck with 8 plus vs X. I'm not the biggest fan of the notch but if this really is the way apple is taking with future updates and stuff like that, I really don't want to be left behind with the 8 plus. However, the price is a bit of a bummer. Help me settle this Era.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok guys I need your help. I'm getting a new phone and after two years with Android I'm confident in trying out iOS again. I really want a good screen and a nice camera both for photos and video. Right now I'm pretty stuck with 8 plus vs X. I'm not the biggest fan of the notch but if this really is the way apple is taking with future updates and stuff like that, I really don't want to be left behind with the 8 plus. However, the price is a bit of a bummer. Help me settle this Era.

8 Plus: best version of the iPhone we've had for 10 years
X: first version of the iPhone we'll have for the next 10 years

The notch is a non-issue in use. The price, well, that's up to you. How much do you put a premium on:
Slightly better cameras
OLED vs LCD
The new hotness in form factor

If any of that sounds like it's worth an extra $200, then there you go

Shock and awe

Oct 25, 2017
Did the picture in picture stuff/tricks for YouTube and Safari stop working finally? I can't seem to pop out videos anymore.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Any rumours about what the next ipad pro is going to have? Been kinda wanting one for a while but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I think I'll just wait for the new/next one.