• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I wish withthe Siri Watch face I could swipe away the shit she is showing that I'm not interested in? Like why are you leaving a photo album memory from 2 years ago as the first suggestion? I looked at it and it still won't go away
Turn off the photos source in the Watchface settings then, you can customize the Siri face to an extent.

Personally, i enjoy it. It reminds me of the physical tiny family pic my parents carry in their wallets but more modern and dynamic.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Turn off the photos source in the Watchface settings then, you can customize the Siri face to an extent.

Personally, i enjoy it. It reminds me of the physical tiny family pic my parents carry in their wallets but more modern and dynamic.
Ok thanks

Last edited:

Kikuchiyosuke

Jan 11, 2018
So, what's ResetEra's thoughts on the Apple Watch Series 3? I don't have a smart watch and I'm thinking about buying one. I've read/watched a couple of reviews (mostly positive, some mixed), but I'd like to hear your thoughts. Buy or don't buy?

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that last OneDrive app update that came out is a big improvement. Looks cleaner but more importantly performs a lot better on my phone

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question again, is a USB-C port that is Input 5V 3A powerful enough to charge a 2017 MacBook Pro?

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Kids received an Ipad 2 as a gift. It seems the highest it goes is OS 9. Any suggestions on a non-safari browser for it? It's so slow. Chrome and Firefox seem limited to OS 10+.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kids received an Ipad 2 as a gift. It seems the highest it goes is OS 9. Any suggestions on a non-safari browser for it? It's so slow. Chrome and Firefox seem limited to OS 10+.

Other browsers on iOS all have to use Safari's rendering engine, so you won't find another browser that's any faster.

That, and the iPad 2 is almost seven years old and has something like 1/20th the CPU power of a current iPad Pro (and 1/10th a basic 2017 iPad).

I wouldn't recommend using an iPad 2 for much more than Netflix/YouTube/etc. and maybe some simple games.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So the power cord in the HomePod is hardwired to it? That's surprising and unusual, especially for Apple.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Thanks. All they do is watch Netflix and PBS Kids, which are just fine. But now and again I might grab it to check a website. Good to know it's working as expected.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
So, what's ResetEra's thoughts on the Apple Watch Series 3? I don't have a smart watch and I'm thinking about buying one. I've read/watched a couple of reviews (mostly positive, some mixed), but I'd like to hear your thoughts. Buy or don't buy?

Just bought a series 3 lte on Saturday and love it so far. My cell carrier here in Canada is still getting Apple Watch support up and running but I like it a lot. Although the AirPods I bought at the same time also have me gushing

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be finally there in terms of features for me, but the (lack of) battery life makes it unusable as a biometric tool for me.

Deleted member 10063

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone use an iPad Pro / Apple Pencil to learn to draw? I keep thinking I want to learn as a hobby and having a tablet would push me to do it more.

I know it's probably a waste to buy it for that purpose only, but I was thinking I could use it for productivity at work and such as well.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Anyone use an iPad Pro / Apple Pencil to learn to draw? I keep thinking I want to learn as a hobby and having a tablet would push me to do it more.

I know it's probably a waste to buy it for that purpose only, but I was thinking I could use it for productivity at work and such as well.
I plan on using my wife's iPad Pro for that. :)

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to lie. I almost thought about buying HomePod kind of as a "just cause" only to be reminded that it is 350 and not portable. This is one of their consumer products that is just too premium for me. I probably don't need it to get as loud as it does, and I probably don't need it to sound as good as it doesn't. And, I wish I could unplug it and move it without an outlet for a few hours. But, barring none of those things, it just isn't for me. And I wish it was. I hope they make a mini version of this in the future for half the price.

I guess what I would want is something for 150 with a battery that gives me at least 4 hours. For the people this is aimed for, it sounds (pun) great. (and they really need to extend Siri into third parties in a more major way).

Edit: Also, my AirPod problems are getting worse. I was on the phone with someone for maybe 15 minutes with AirPods fully charged, and my iPhone maybe 10 feet away from me, and the connection just dropped. All of a sudden I couldn't hear the person I was on the phone with and they couldn't gear me. So, they hung up. The AirPods are still connected via bluetooth according to the icon on the phone status bar, so I call them back, but they can't hear me and I can't hear them. And, I look at the phone and it shows the AirPods as connected and the source in the call menu, but it just isn't working and I can't hear a thing until I remove the AirPods and put them back in their case, to which I can then hear the person through the iPhone earpiece as if it was a normal call. This is happening more and more frequently and I don't now if it is software or a hardware problem.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think a way of Apple lowering the barrier of entry into "home" products, if they don't want to make a simple dumb puck like the Echo Dot, is to combine the Echo Dot and the Apple TV and create something very interesting in the process.

An Apple TV that can be fully controlled handsfree if necessary. It also keeps all the Siri skills that the HomePod has, and besides an array of mics also needs a little speaker to respond when the TV is not on. Can output music to your TV sound system (duh) but also to AirPlay 2 speakers with simple voice controls.

The Apple TV was already by definition the Apple living room always-on device, such that it became the HomeKit hub. Now expand on it. Though the timing would be awkward since the 4K just released.

Probably a very dumb idea but there you have it.

Kikuchiyosuke

Jan 11, 2018
Just bought a series 3 lte on Saturday and love it so far. My cell carrier here in Canada is still getting Apple Watch support up and running but I like it a lot. Although the AirPods I bought at the same time also have me gushing

Seems to be finally there in terms of features for me, but the (lack of) battery life makes it unusable as a biometric tool for me.

Thanks. I have the Airpods as well, so those two would pair up nicely. I'm looking to use it as my running watch as well (just casual running, 5/10K), so I might just pull the trigger. I'll post some impressions here a week or two after I buy it.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I keep getting the itch to buy an old iMac G3 to tinker with, (This Graphite model is CALLING TO ME) but then I remember that I have a 2003 eMac in the closet at my parents' place that I used in my college years. It needs a new HDD, as what's in there is dead (I'd probably drop in a cheap SSD for kicks) but otherwise is in good condition. I could even overclock it if I feel like my soldering skills are worthy.

The issue is that I don't really have a place to put it at the moment in my apartment, and even when I do I wonder if it's even worthwhile taking the time to open up and futz with, as it's really a pain getting into those things.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I keep getting the itch to buy an old iMac G3 to tinker with, (This Graphite model is CALLING TO ME) but then I remember that I have a 2003 eMac in the closet at my parents' place that I used in my college years. It needs a new HDD, as what's in there is dead (I'd probably drop in a cheap SSD for kicks) but otherwise is in good condition. I could even overclock it if I feel like my soldering skills are worthy.

The issue is that I don't really have a place to put it at the moment in my apartment, and even when I do I wonder if it's even worthwhile taking the time to open up and futz with, as it's really a pain getting into those things.
Are you planning to run Mac OS or something else?

Oct 25, 2017
And a bit worrying, considering the typical level of reliability in their cables.

Never had any issues with their power cables myself, especially a thick power cable that isn't going to be unplugged and moved constantly. In the abstract it's worrying, but you're probably looking at failure in some other part of the unit being just as likely and just as unrepairable from the end user standpoint.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like Apple Stores will be able to do repairs* on HomePod units

*repairs in this case meaning replace the entire thing

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never had any issues with their power cables myself, especially a thick power cable that isn't going to be unplugged and moved constantly. In the abstract it's worrying, but you're probably looking at failure in some other part of the unit being just as likely and just as unrepairable from the end user standpoint.
Yeah that's how I see it too. The lack of a replaceable power cord is annoying but ultimately any electrician will be able to take care of it if necessary. The lack of a physical input means why might see software obsolescence or network hardware issues ending the life of an otherwise perfectly good speaker.

Oct 25, 2017
I took all of my cases off of my devices today. I cleaned my iPad my iPhone the Apple remote and the AirPods. Is amazing how these devices feel in your hand without any cases and clean. They are so smooth and great to feel in the hand.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Man, the AirPods are one of the best purchases I made last year (had to wait for a friend to come back from Japan with one because the price here is ridiculous). It's one of those gamechangers that almost instantly becomes a natural part of your routine without you even feeling it. The case rocks too, I have to remind myself to charge it when I'm going somewhere for a while because I feel like it lasts forever.
I took all of my cases off of my devices today. I cleaned my iPad my iPhone the Apple remote and the AirPods. Is amazing how these devices feel in your hand without any cases and clean. They are so smooth and great to feel in the hand.
I love my devices buck naked, but my iPhone 6S is the first phone I own that compelled me to put it into a case. It's just so slippery and I could feel the clock ticking. Feels good, but dangerous.

Just a cheap transparent silicone case, but it adds sooo much more grip to the thing. It also solves the camera bump. I kind of feel that they literally designed it thinking about cases, lol. With the 4S and 5S I never even thought about using one.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Man, the AirPods are one of the best purchases I made last year (had to wait for a friend to come back from Japan with one because the price here is ridiculous). It's one of those gamechangers that almost instantly becomes a natural part of your routine without you even feeling it. The case rocks too, I have to remind myself to charge it when I'm going somewhere for a while because I feel like it lasts forever.

They haven't been that mindblowing for me, but I have to say I love the fact that I can put them on as soon as I wake up, double tap either of them and Spotify starts playing again from the exact spot where I left it the day before. Then I can just get on with my morning rituals, brush my teeth, get dressed etc while listening to music.

Also I wish there was an easier way to check the case's charge. My phone only displays its charge if both airpods are in it and I open it near my phone. Can't really check the charge if the airpods are in my ears.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
They haven't been that mindblowing for me, but I have to say I love the fact that I can put them on as soon as I wake up, double tap either of them and Spotify starts playing again from the exact spot where I left it the day before. Then I can just get on with my morning rituals, brush my teeth, get dressed etc while listening to music.

Also I wish there was an easier way to check the case's charge. My phone only displays its charge if both airpods are in it and I open it near my phone. Can't really check the charge if the airpods are in my ears.
For me it's more because I always wanted a pair of bluetooth earphones, but I can't stand how every model outside of Apple's has those silicone ear buds that you have to stick in your ear. I used bluetooth headphones for a while and it was so freeing to make the transition to earphones. Everything else about how smooth it is to use was the icing on the cake.

Agreed about the checking the charge of the case, it could be easier and it's one of the reasons I'll forget about it. Although I loved that right when I popped them out of the box they showed up on my phone's screen to pair, haha.

Kikuchiyosuke

Jan 11, 2018

I love my devices buck naked, but my iPhone 6S is the first phone I own that compelled me to put it into a case. It's just so slippery and I could feel the clock ticking. Feels good, but dangerous.

Just a cheap transparent silicone case, but it adds sooo much more grip to the thing. It also solves the camera bump. I kind of feel that they literally designed it thinking about cases, lol. With the 4S and 5S I never even thought about using one.

Same sentiments here. I began listening to podcasts last 2016, but that increased dramatically since I bought the AirPods last year. I use those for around 5 hours everyday ever since I bought it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
For me it's more because I always wanted a pair of bluetooth earphones, but I can't stand how every model outside of Apple's has those silicone ear buds that you have to stick in your ear. I used bluetooth headphones for a while and it was so freeing to make the transition to earphones. Everything else about how smooth it is to use was the icing on the cake.

Hahah, this is actually pretty much the ONLY thing I don't like about the airpods. I've come to really like the little silicone/rubber tips on earphones, make them more comfortable to use for me. Thankfully the airpods seem to fit pretty well in my ears, can usually wear them for at least a couple of hours until they start feeling uncomfortable, and I can actually talk to others too while wearing these.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so I'm a huge headphone guy, and probably have about 7+ pairs, from audiophile over-the-ear down to Bluetooth earbuds, and my old pair of cheap in ear Bluetooth headphones were in sad shape, so I gave in to the airpods hype and picked up a pair the other day.

I was completely wrong about these things. For what they are, they are amazing. The syncing, coming from more traditional Bluetooth headphones, is almost magical. Just pop them in your ear and you're ready to go. Sound quality is fine, not as bad as I expected. They're not going to blow you away sonic-ly, but the convenience of these things is on another level. When you first put them in, it feels like they're going to fall right out, but then you quickly realize that the fit is pretty snug (for me). I guess I didn't realize how much the cord plays a part on the weight of the traditional earpods when comparing them to these. The flexibility of being able to wear one and have the sound auto switch to mono, taking one earpod out to pause, the battery life, the size, all a huge pluses compared to my old setup. And the range of these things is probably the most shocking thing. I left my phone plugged in in one room, and am walking everywhere in my house without them cutting out once. I've always had Bluetooth cut out at various spots in my house.

Only thing I'm missing is inline controls, particularly volume, since I'll be often wearing them at work and would rather not be speaking to siri at my desk, but I'm thinking the pros outweigh the cons. I went from rolling my eyes at these things to a complete believer.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017

Set the battery widget on your iphone. If you have your airpods connected, the battery information will be displayed in that widget with a simple left swipe to the widgets screen.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Set the battery widget on your iphone. If you have your airpods connected, the battery information will be displayed in that widget with a simple left swipe to the widgets screen.
Yeah, it shows up there instantly when you open the case, but you still need at least one of the pods inside for the case to show up. Minor inconvenience, but it would be cool if the case appeared without them too.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it shows up there instantly when you open the case, but you still need at least one of the pods inside for the case to show up. Minor inconvenience, but it would be cool if the case appeared without them too.

Gottcha. Makes sense I guess because on it's own I'm pretty sure the case doesn't have any wireless ability. Needs at least 1 airpod attached to relay the info.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
The case doesn't have Bluetooth I suppose. They could work around that by having the battery widget show the last known battery charge.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm slow and just discovered the modular watch face yesterday. Being able to jump directly to "home" to turn on the lights is super helpful when my dog gets up in the middle of the night (although the delay connecting to lights via the watch is sometimes pretty bad).

I wish they included an option so you could jump directly to "now playing", though. Seems like an obvious omission.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's how I see it too. The lack of a replaceable power cord is annoying but ultimately any electrician will be able to take care of it if necessary. The lack of a physical input means why might see software obsolescence or network hardware issues ending the life of an otherwise perfectly good speaker.
Yep, that's what kills it for me. The old iPod HiFi is still a good set even now because it has a line input. HomePod not having one means I'm not that interested.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hahah, this is actually pretty much the ONLY thing I don't like about the airpods. I've come to really like the little silicone/rubber tips on earphones, make them more comfortable to use for me. Thankfully the airpods seem to fit pretty well in my ears, can usually wear them for at least a couple of hours until they start feeling uncomfortable, and I can actually talk to others too while wearing these.

I'd fully agree with you on the tips. I just prefer the seal silicon or even foam offer. My dream wireless earphones would be a Beats X tip with all the creature comforts of the AirPods' total wireless solution and the charging case. I'd hope Apple through their own label or Beats will produce a set like that in the years ahead.