• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
listen i was hella mad about it at the time and didn't use apple music again for like a year, after they replaced the matching algorithm wholesale with itunes match's which didn't butcher my entire library

I get that you were upset and that totally happened to you, not disputing that at all. Apple Music did weird, awful shit when it launched. Just found it funny that I was like "wonder what the comments say!" And lo and behold it was you right on top

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Just realized I can use my AirPods with appletv. Will come in handy while watching the Federer match tonight to not wake my wife up.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's like low-key one of the best uses for them. Taking one out pauses whatever you're watching as well, it's perfect.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
it'd be insulting if it didn't, frankly. i don't know why (or even if) that was ever a real concern. if the homepod couldn't play non-itunes-or-apple-music music it should've been jettisoned into the sun and never released to the public.

i think that article is actually pretty bad - it just says what should've been obvious (airplay Just Works, apple music Just Works), doesn't have answers for pretty much anything else (does itunes match work? does bluetooth work? shrug), and one answer is just flat-out nonsense ("you can stream FLAC from other devices" doesn't really answer "why does homepod support FLAC" when it's not clear what those other devices are supposed to be, because neither iTunes nor the iOS music app provide any mechanism to put FLAC in them, so... what, are you expected to airplay from Vox or something)

yeah i really loved when she wrote an article telling me and others that we are wrong and apple music didn't delete music files off my macwithout me telling it to and i'm just a dumb idiot who doesn't understand how apple music works and it's definitely not possible that apple music at launch was a horrid pile of garbage that fucked up my library in a hundred different ways to the point i had to cancel the service and restore my whole itunes library from time machine to fix it, on top of all the other defensive-fanboy-tier nonsense imore regularly publishes

(i do not like imore very much)

Hey, at least she's reaching out to Apple and getting some answers. I'm certainly not any more inclined to purchase a HomePod than I was before since it still won't play music from my Mac's ITunes except for AirPlay. And yeah, I still refuse to use iCloud Library because I don't want my music screwed with and don't want compressed audio on my iPhone.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
For Apple Watch, what's the best option for blind pedestrian navigation - I.e. tapping my wrist to tell me left/right/straight on? Does google maps support that or am I limited to Apple maps?

Oct 25, 2017
That's not restricted to the Apple TV. I don't have one and still have those issues with both Netflix and Amazon.

You can sometimes fix it by watching it again and skipping to the end. Sometimes.
That's so incredibly dumb. Like, I don't want to keep watching a series I started because it's just random interviews (Comedians in Cars) and I already watched the ones I wanted, so to get it off my Continue Watching list, I have to scrub through each one? Blech.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You can just highlight it and press the menu button and select to remove from watch history

Oct 25, 2017
You can just highlight it and press the menu button and select to remove from watch history
That doesn't seem to do it. If I hold select over it, it doesn't present me with any options. If I go into the show, I can see the option to "Add" to my watch list, but I never added it in the first place so I can't remove it, and if I do add it and then remove it, it's still there.. It just tells me I should continue watch on the last episode I watched.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Stoked by this news. I thought this wasn't possible because of the A8 chip of the 4th gen. Almost pulled the trigger on the 4K ATV just for that feature.
Yeah that's excellent news and there shouldn't be any reason why it shouldn't work. I mean you could always change the video mode from the settings anyway so the software would only need to call mode switch according to video.

Last edited:

sweetvar26

Oct 26, 2017
Milky Way Galaxy
Man, my late 2013 rMBP is starting to show its age. I need to buy a replacement soon. For the first time I'm really tempted to get a windows laptop because of the HDR enabled screens, especially the new Lenovo X1 Carbon, X1 Yoga and the Dell XPS 13/15.

I was hoping Apple would upgrade the screens in some way with their last redesign on the Pro's, my sister ended up getting one last year and I don't see much difference with mine other than the touch bar which doesn't appeal to me.

Though I'd like Apple to release a HDR/Dolby Vision enabled MacBook Pro or an OLED(yeah right...) but I doubt either of these are coming in the next few years.

Sad face. Oh well.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Man, my late 2013 rMBP is starting to show its age. I need to buy a replacement soon. For the first time I'm really tempted to get a windows laptop because of the HDR enabled screens, especially the new Lenovo X1 Carbon, X1 Yoga and the Dell XPS 13/15.

I was hoping Apple would upgrade the screens in some way with their last redesign on the Pro's, my sister ended up getting one last year and I don't see much difference with mine other than the touch bar which doesn't appeal to me.

Though I'd like Apple to release a HDR/Dolby Vision enabled MacBook Pro or an OLED(yeah right...) but I doubt either of these are coming in the next few years.

Sad face. Oh well.
What makes you want to upgrade? I also have a 2013 rMBP and I'm kinda thinking about upgrading. Any particular software you're having issues with?

sweetvar26

Oct 26, 2017
Milky Way Galaxy
What makes you want to upgrade? I also have a 2013 rMBP and I'm kinda thinking about upgrading. Any particular software you're having issues with?

Keyboard is giving up
It's sarting to show off wear and tear as well
Power source while charging it doesn't charge at times, will have to unplug the mag safe and replug it. Battery life has gone down considerably
Occasional freezes while using the laptop

Not to mention 5 years of the same screen with the same resolution, colors, I'm kinda bored because there are some good advancements in the display tech recently. Few laptops have OLED screens and I've heard they're spectacular. Now couple more laptops that are announced this year have HDR displays. I spend a lot of time reading, browsing and watching videos, so laptop, tablet or phone, display is my priority.

Never had a laptop other than Mac and finally thinking of making the switch. Debating on it though.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keyboard is giving up
Power source while charging it doesn't charge at times, will have to unplug the mag safe and replug it. Battery life has gone down considerably

Not to mention 5 years of the same screen with the same resolution, colors, I'm kinda bored because there are some good advancements in the display tech recently. Few laptops have OLED screens and I've heard they're spectacular. Now couple more laptops that are announced this year have HDR displays. I spend a lot of time reading, browsing and watching videos, so laptop, tablet or phone, display is my priority.

Never had a laptop other than Mac and finally thinking of making the switch. Debating on it though.
I wouldn't. I can promise you your laptop will show its age a lot sooner than a MacBook Pro would.

Source me with a 2015 rog gaming laptop that is still good but my MacBook Pro 2012 which I just gave away still ran awesomely

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Keyboard is giving up

I replaced the battery on my 2011 MBP and updated to an SSD. It's super fast and handles anything I need it to - granted I don't throw anything too complicated at it. I think I'm going to stick with it until they no longer support the OS because I'm kind of bummed with the small HD/no ports model they have gone with MacBooks. If that's the way we are heading I'm actually considering going with an iPad Pro with pen, because I really like it. I have a gaming PC, so I don't need a ton of power.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I should mention I am on my 4th 85w power supply since 2011 because Apple still refuses to make a magsafe connector that doesn't eventually start losing its covering.

Last edited:

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I like iPad but hardly have used it since getting iPhone 7 Plus and now iPhone X. The phone experience is so good and not small and zippy now. It is such a breeze that 95% of what I do is web browsing and that is now 95% done on my phone.

Not sure if I'll upgrade iPad any time soon but I do still want to upgrade my 2011 MacBook Pro, which is weird since I use that even less than iPad.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was a way to quick switch accounts in AppleTV like in Netflix, but since it would have to filter down into individual apps, it probably doesn't matter. I don't think Hulu has profiles, for example.

Edit: actually I'm wrong. Hulu does have profiles.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Um wtf at rumors the AirPower Mat will cost $199??? I thought it would be $99 and that would still make it a very expensive 3 coil mat...

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
The wife needs a new computer for school.
We are now considering a large iPad Pro with keyboard.
Primary uses reading, office360, writing, stuff like that.
Is that viable? Anything to be wary of?

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Um wtf at rumors the AirPower Mat will cost $199??? I thought it would be $99 and that would still make it a very expensive 3 coil mat...

If it came with a replacement AirPods case I MIGHT consider that. Otherwise ir seems completely unnecessary.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I mean, I'm using purely an iPad Pro 10.5 for school right now. The pencil makes it crazy good for note taking and I have the majority of my textbooks splitscreened with GoodNotes. I type my papers in Word with the Smart Keyboard.

It's more than possible unless she's gonna need something specialized in the future that the iPad can't provide

thebigcountry

Oct 28, 2017

Sad face. Oh well.
I'm in a similar boat, but even Kaby Lake R is only starting to move the needle coming from a Haswell 13" MBP. My laptop is still holding up, so I'll hold out until Apple at least ditches the current MBP's keyboard. If I need a new computer before that time, I guess I can move to Windows. The XPS 15 does look pretty neat...
Very viable. The Pencil is fantastic for PDFs with PDF Expert, you can't beat the portability, and you don't have to take the computer into the Apple Store every time a speck of dust gets under the keyboard.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm in a similar boat, but even Kaby Lake R is only starting to move the needle coming from a Haswell 13" MBP. My laptop is still holding up, so I'll hold out until Apple at least ditches the current MBP's keyboard. If I need a new computer before that time, I guess I can move to Windows. The XPS 15 does look pretty neat...

Very viable. The Pencil is fantastic for PDFs with PDF Expert, you can't beat the portability, and you don't have to take the computer into the Apple Store every time a speck of dust gets under the keyboard.

I'd recommend a Windows laptop long before I suggest someone try to go full iPad.

It may suit some edge cases but the likelihood of bumping your head against the walled garden of iOS at some point in the winding road of changable demands and needs in college is very, very high.

thebigcountry

Oct 28, 2017
I'd recommend a Windows laptop long before I suggest someone try to go full iPad.

It may suit some edge cases but the likelihood of bumping your head against the walled garden of iOS at some point in the winding road of changable demands and needs in college is very, very high.
That poster mentioned that the computer was for their partner, so I assumed there would be a Windows/Mac for backup. While the iPad can't do every little thing a PC can, it'll do 80-85% of them. The poster asked for a computer that'll be used for notetaking, reading, and writing, and the iPad is great for that. The iPad is also far more likely to survive college than a laptop, especially Apple's current laptop lineup.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That poster mentioned that the computer was for their partner, so I assumed there would be a Windows/Mac for backup. While the iPad can't do every little thing a PC can, it'll do 80-85% of them. The poster asked for a computer that'll be used for notetaking, reading, and writing, and the iPad is great for that. The iPad is also far more likely to survive college than a laptop, especially Apple's current laptop lineup.

What you think you need from a computer in college is rarely what you actually end up needing. College and work are places for utility and not experimentation when it comes to gear IMO.

avaya

Oct 25, 2017
London
So I want some advice guys, I have a 2012 Retina MBP - I am conflicted about upgrading to a 2017 MBP, is it worth it? Would a 12" MacBook be better? I tend to do quite a lot of Excel work on my MBP and I'm worried the mobile processor on the 12" MacBook is just going to be too poor.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
So, I just bought a MBP today. What are some essential accessories that won't kill my bank account even more?

Quasar

Oct 25, 2017
tvOS 11.3 beta adds framerate content matching to the 4th gen Apple TV. nice

Now I have one less reason to hardly ever use my ATV instead of my Shield.

As for the Homepod....that never was going to happen for me. Too expensive (given I already have a decent home theatre for music playing), and it further tries to push people into Apple services only. But that's my general complaint about Apple and they will never change in that regard.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
So, I just bought a MBP today. What are some essential accessories that won't kill my bank account even more?
Nice! What model/specs did you get?

A laptop sleeve, some dongles (I dunno if it comes with some?). I'd also say an external hdd for backups (+ others/cloud for redundancy) if you don't have one already.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Nice! What model/specs did you get?

A laptop sleeve, some dongles (I dunno if it comes with some?). I'd also say an external hdd for backups (+ others/cloud for redundancy) if you don't have one already.
2017 13.3", smaller HDD (I have a 2 tb external I'll format for it), i5 with 8 gig of RAM. I've been eyeing them for a month or so, but now that they went on sale as I was getting my refund, I figured I'd pull the trigger. Bought two USB-C to USB 3.0 adapters on Amazon today so I can use the HDD and my mouse.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania

Sad face. Oh well.
Keyboard is giving up

I have the same machine and it's working great even now. Back in June actually I took it in to get the keyboard replaced. Turned out it was the battery causing swelling. It cost me a TOTAL of $199 to replace the battery and the ENTIRE top case which includes the keyboard and trackpad. I got lucky. $200 for literally half of a 4 year old $2600 laptop replacement. It basically saved me a few thousand to upgrade. I'll be able to use this for at least another year or two.

I'd totally recommend taking it in and explaining the situation and seeing if they can do anything. You never know.

I never noticed any problems with my display resolution. I even keep mine set to 1920x1200 retina. (The maximum resolution setting) Sure it's not OLED or anything. But it looks fine to me.

I'm not really in a hurry to upgrade if I can wait for the next overhaul refresh. I'd have to get used to the new trackpad, keyboard and the touch bar which I like and am eager to play with (via BTT) but can wait since it's not a problem right now. I mean this machine is still pretty goddamn fast. I'm glad I went all out and got the top of the line model. I can see why one would feel their current offering is boring. I mean the jump from the previous designs with the optical drive and the thick casing to the super ultra thin and light models with their retina displays was really awesome. But then the most recent jump didn't do much for the display or the weight and just replaced the keyboard and trackpad with newer versions, added a touch bar and removed all useful ports in an effort to "courageously" push technology forward without completely thinking things through. Not that I'd care if I only had USB-C. I don't plug much into my laptop really. But my dad has already lost his USB to USB-C dongle once and had to buy another one.

I'd also never ever consider Windows personally. There's a really big difference between the two systems and Windows just does not do it for me at all.

Oct 25, 2017
So, I just had the icon pop up on my menubar that someone was sharing my screen. It showed a mac address as who was connected, but I have no idea why that would have been happening. Any ideas what that might have been?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
So, I just had the icon pop up on my menubar that someone was sharing my screen. It showed a mac address as who was connected, but I have no idea why that would have been happening. Any ideas what that might have been?

Sounds maybe like malware. First thing I'd do is check in Preferences -> Sharing and see if Screen Sharing and/or Remote Login is turned on.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds maybe like malware. First thing I'd do is check in Preferences -> Sharing and see if Screen Sharing and/or Remote Login is turned on.
Both were turned on because I use them. They're off now. Only my account and administrator are listed as authorized users.

Edit: Malwarebytes picked up nothing. Currently trying Avast. I'm a little freaked out right now. Full system scan of Avast is going to take a day probably.

Edit: Is there a connection history/log I can look up to see any info on what might have happened?

Edit: Console only shows from midnight now, and this happened before midnight, so I can't search system.log for screensharing, or it is just coming up blank.

Last edited:

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Thanks everyone for the input.
Yea we have a MBP at home, whose battery is dead and needs power after 15 minutes so for anything fancy she can use that.
I think we will go with an iPad. :)

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm trying to create an external copy of MacOS as my Macbook is bootlooping. Apple's complete inability to us a percentage counter and instead use absolutely ludicrously wrong time estimates is just embarrassing at this point. It's the sort of thing Mac users used to mock Windows for.