• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's cool, I know it's confusing! With UHD displays, Apple does something a bit odd. For everything but the very last option, the resolution they list for "looks like" is actually rendering at twice that. So for instance - the larger text option says "looks like 1920x1080", but everything is actually rendered at 3840x2160 (aka, 4K), just with 2x resolution (Retina) assets so everything looks much sharper. The "looks like 2560x1440" option is actually downscaling 5K (5120x2880), and so on - except the very last "more space" option, "looks like 3840x2160", is actually just 3840x2160 but with 1x (aka, non-Retina) assets so everything is smaller. (You can see this in the screenshots you posted, in fact.)
Alright, I think I am getting it. So if I use the middle one (Looks like 3008 x 1692) is it actually downsampling from double that or from 4K/5K?

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I think I am getting it. So if I use the middle one (Looks like 3008 x 1692) is it actually downsampling from double that or from 4K/5K?

From the full resolution of the panel, aka 5K down to 1692p. At retina densities, it's pretty hard to notice any difference in quality (they do a similar thing with the iPhone Plus models, where the actual resolution is larger than the screen resolution.)

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Are any of you guys doing academic writing on Mac? I don't need a lot of exotic features since I'm doing law. I've grown to love Markdown over the past months (Word just feels so incredibly bloated and irritating in comparison) but neither Ulysses nor iA Writer seem to be up to the task. Ulysses doesn't support tables from what I've seen (wth?!) and iA Writer puts all footnotes at the end of the document. Any suggestions for other writing and related software in the field (bibliography management etc) you find useful or workflows in general?
Latex is the bomb. My workflow:
- all my writing in sublime text
- bibliographic entries in a .bib file
- compile from the command line and I usually have the pdf open to see how it looks after updating it.

There is more clever software, like Texmaker and whatnot, that will let you jump to parts of the PDF from the text editor and vice versa, but I prefer it the way I described.

In any case latex is great because you don't have to mess with formatting. Want a footnote, just write \footnote{here you go}.

Kikuchiyosuke

Jan 11, 2018
Am I the only one that experiences this? I'm using an iPhone 6S on iOS 11.2.2 and sometimes apps will just close/quit when they're left on the background. This didn't happen to me on iOS 10. Any fix?

Baconbitz

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone use the app transit? I'm looking for an app to check and manage all files and folders on my Mac. Someone suggested transit. Before I pay 10 dollars I want to know if it's worth it.

Oct 25, 2017
That Panic news was such a bummer. I had used Transmit iOS just the previous day to move around very large files on servers and from stuff on my iPad to my home server. It's such a great, well-made app that I understand is niche, but I use it a lot and there's not a lot like it.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I lost my AirPods today and I'm honestly not even sure how it happened.

All I did was walk down to my garage, started working on my car and when I was done my AirPods were gone. I only had the left one in my ear and I could have sworn I just left the case and the right one on my car seat but nothing.

Find my iPhone is only locating the left airpod, not the case or the right one. Maybe I should wait for its battery to run out first?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
That Panic news was such a bummer. I had used Transmit iOS just the previous day to move around very large files on servers and from stuff on my iPad to my home server. It's such a great, well-made app that I understand is niche, but I use it a lot and there's not a lot like it.

This is what really irritates me about Tim always trumpeting the latest enormous App Store revenue figures. It fails to account for the revenue inequality that's obviously happening between a few giant companies (and probably a large majority of those are F2P game companies if we're honest here) and I find it a bit disingenuous. If a well-respected, known-brand indie shop like Panic is struggling to make the numbers make sense in the App Store, then there is a real problem. On the other hand, as you say Transmit is a rather niche product. Maybe they miscalculated the level of interest and set a price that was unsustainable. Maybe no price point was sustainable (and reasonable for people to pay) given their number of users.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place, but how is apple on refunding accidental in-app purchases?
Refunable just like any other App Store purchase.

If you're in Europe you have 14 days to cancel the purchase, no questions asked. Just follow the "report a problem" link in the invoice email for refund options.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I lost my AirPods today and I'm honestly not even sure how it happened.

All I did was walk down to my garage, started working on my car and when I was done my AirPods were gone. I only had the left one in my ear and I could have sworn I just left the case and the right one on my car seat but nothing.

Find my iPhone is only locating the left airpod, not the case or the right one. Maybe I should wait for its battery to run out first?

I don't know why they didn't put a locator/speaker in the case. It seems obvious.

That said, as I say to my wife, since you know they are in the house, you have not lost them, they are simply "misplaced" :)

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have any experience returning Apple products bought by the 24 Month no financing option?

I bought a specc'd out iMac just before the New Year but now that Microcenter is taking off $1000 off the iMac Pro, I want to trade up to that one....

Edit:

Also my GOD 3rd party apps suck on the Apple Watch. I thought by Series 3 all the kinks would work out but almost every single app I open it tells me to open the app on my iPhone...and then it doesn't do shit.

Last edited:

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I have this weird issue.

If I make a change (such as adding a song to a playlist or downloading a new song from apple music) on iTunes on my mac, the change won't take effect on my music app on iPhone until I do something there that it needs to sync back to iCloud library (such as adding a song to a playlist).

Anyone else experience this? Just seems like a delay on music app syncing to iCloud.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
So I wonder if the HomePod is going to get a soft launch, and just one day going to appear in the Apple store with no fanfare.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
So I wonder if the HomePod is going to get a soft launch, and just one day going to appear in the Apple store with no fanfare.
My bet is on a spring event. HomePod, AirPower, AirPods Case, iPhone SE is due for a refresh... Refreshed budget iPad? New iPhone X color (the gold color is still missing for some strange reason)? Could be worthwhile. Also just pushing a site update would be weird, they're entering a new product category after all

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If the new phone set for around march was an "iPhone X mini" it would be incredible. Apart from that the only thing I could get excited for is a Mac Pro.

Anthlenv

Oct 27, 2017
I have a bit of a odd question I think. I have a iPad, iPhone, AW3 and a MacBook from like 2008. I was pondering replacing the MacBook with a PC so I can play some games but I'm worried about breaking up the ecosystem. Does that seem weird or silly? Will it even matter much? Just feels odd.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I have a bit of a odd question I think. I have a iPad, iPhone, AW3 and a MacBook from like 2008. I was pondering replacing the MacBook with a PC so I can play some games but I'm worried about breaking up the ecosystem. Does that seem weird or silly? Will it even matter much? Just feels odd.
You can still use iCloud Drive on Windows and iCloud (cal, mail, reminders, notes...) in the browser so there's that. It sure isn't as seamless as on a Mac but it works.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So I went from iPhone 5 to SE and with iOS 11 I've never had apps I use regularly crash on me this frequently. For example Twitter goes in this kind of... crash loop where the app stays on the loading screen, crashes, then stays on the loading screen for ages again... and crashes again. The quickest way to fix it is to restart the phone. Ugh.

Oct 25, 2017
Transmit*

Make sure you buy the correct app! Hehe
That's correct. It's called Transmit. A link for anyone who cares at this point:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/transmit-ios/id917432930?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

Here's an example of how I used Transmit very recently. I had some very large home videos i shot on my iPhone that I wanted to show someone while I was on vacation. They didn't have an iPad or iPhone, and they wanted to view them on their TV. Luckily, their TV has the Plex app built into it, so I was able to upload from my iPhone to my home server and just give them temporary Plex credentials. It took less than an hour for me to upload them and have everything ready for this person who is not very tech savvy.

I've also been in positions where I've had to download stuff from my home server, or my online server that I needed offline, and Transmit always worked. Maybe there are other apps like it on the store, but it worked great, and it was made by Panic so it was designed to work with iOS first and only, so the quality was impeccable. I use it so much more than Coda, which I never really got into because I don't like their text editor. I'd rather write something in another app and then upload it to a server via Transmit than just use Coda.

Transmit, you will be missed :(

Edit: I just noticed Transmit is only 10 bucks while Coda is 25. I can't remember if it was always 10 or this is kind of a goodbye price. For the use I got out of it over the years, 10 bucks was a steal. I would have easily paid double, and considering it being a relatively niche product, I wonder if others would have as well.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's correct. It's called Transmit. A link for anyone who cares at this point:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/transmit-ios/id917432930?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

Here's an example of how I used Transmit very recently. I had some very large home videos i shot on my iPhone that I wanted to show someone while I was on vacation. They didn't have an iPad or iPhone, and they wanted to view them on their TV. Luckily, their TV has the Plex app built into it, so I was able to upload from my iPhone to my home server and just give them temporary Plex credentials. It took less than an hour for me to upload them and have everything ready for this person who is not very tech savvy.

I've also been in positions where I've had to download stuff from my home server, or my online server that I needed offline, and Transmit always worked. Maybe there are other apps like it on the store, but it worked great, and it was made by Panic so it was designed to work with iOS first and only, so the quality was impeccable. I use it so much more than Coda, which I never really got into because I don't like their text editor. I'd rather write something in another app and then upload it to a server via Transmit than just use Coda.

Transmit, you will be missed :(

Edit: I just noticed Transmit is only 10 bucks while Coda is 25. I can't remember if it was always 10 or this is kind of a goodbye price. For the use I got out of it over the years, 10 bucks was a steal. I would have easily paid double, and considering it being a relatively niche product, I wonder if others would have as well.

Transmit was normally $20, they dropped the price for people to grab it before it's gone.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I really dont get it. Got a new battery last march and now its again switching 14 and 20 percent battery wear out. I use my iPhone 6 a lot but this cant be accurate.I dont feel like it was that bad already, one year after I got my iPhone.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man fuck I regret upgrading my 2013 Macbook Pro to High Sierra. Its the first time I've felt this computer lag...

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man fuck I regret upgrading my 2013 Macbook Pro to High Sierra. Its the first time I've felt this computer lag...
Mac isn't iOS. You can roll back.

But at this point it really is of the essence to have stuff updated with the latest security patches, especially since spectre and meltdown. Unless Apple is also issuing updates for older versions, which I don't know.

Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone do any networking with macs? I've been put in charge of IT for my company. We have around a dozen iMacs, some laptops and of course everyones phone wants to be on our wifi. Currently have 2 airport extremes running wifi, one of them is handing DHCP and routing.

I think these POS are the cause of 99% of our network issues. Almost every desk has ethernet drops but for some reason plugging in a cable is too much work for some people they just want to complain that our "internet" is down when its really the shit wifi.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
As someone stated below, there'll be a future (probably near) that will make it stop working. Even 10 is too much for an app that has an ending.

It is what it is.
I still use a few delisted apps. I know there's no guarantee how long they'll work.

Just depends if $10 is worth it to you. $20 is a lot to ask and making it plain free would upset older customers.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
It kind of blows my mind that it's not possible anymore to buy iOS apps from a Mac or PC. I wonder how many lost sales are caused by this.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any educated guesses when the SE2 might come out? I desperately need to replace my 5, but if it's only going to be a month or so until the SE2 I'll just suck it up. Otherwise I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on an 8.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It kind of blows my mind that it's not possible anymore to buy iOS apps from a Mac or PC. I wonder how many lost sales are caused by this.
It's possible if you downloaded iTunes 12.6.3. Apple released a special version for enterprise which is essentially 12.7 but it retains the app store.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
What do you think are the chances we'll see new iPad Pros/Pencil in march?
I'm thinking about switching from my 2017 iPad to the 10,5" with Pencil. I can hold out another two months if that means 100 bucks off the 10,5" and a better Pencil though (never tried it but I loosely recall hearing sth about a revised pencil and prices are pretty consistent on that one anyway).

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
What do you think are the chances we'll see new iPad Pros/Pencil in march?
I'm thinking about switching from my 2017 iPad to the 10,5" with Pencil. I can hold out another two months if that means 100 bucks off the 10,5" and a better Pencil though (never tried it but I loosely recall hearing sth about a revised pencil and prices are pretty consistent on that one anyway).

iPad releases have been fairly consistent, just a question of late March/June or fall. I would have said they might push the Pro models a little bit longer but they didn't when introducing the 10.5 after the 9.7, so I dunno.

Guess it depends on if they are pushing a new 'feature' or it's just a refresh.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I want a new iPad but refuse to buy one until they can add force touch/3d touch onto them. Getting rid of the home button would be great too.

In other news I shattered my launch day apple watch sport and received a stainless steel black Gen 3 as a replacement gift. Setting it up right now but still a bit miffed that my old one was destroyed. I really don't need much from these and could have as well gone back to using a pebble. Oh well.

Svadhyaya

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have an issue on their Apple Watch (S3) when you pull up the workout app and it's non-responsive, forcing you to get in and out of that app until it becomes responsive? It's been happening more frequently.

Zonai

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have an issue on their Apple Watch (S3) when you pull up the workout app and it's non-responsive, forcing you to get in and out of that app until it becomes responsive? It's been happening more frequently.
I had this issue today and yesterday, but today I didn't have to force quit to work, just wait a bit. Kinda makes having the app in the dock pointless.

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan

Didn't test it today, but I had the issue yesterday afternoon while trying to setup my treadmill run. It eventually worked, but I had to let it sit there for like 2 minutes before it became responsive.