• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Most of these don't conform to USB C specs. This has been an issue for a while now. It's why I've tried to stay away from 3rd plugs for Apple/Android/Switch/insert here.
Gotcha.

Yeah, You'll be fine. Are you getting one? Wait for the 14 inch unless you're getting it for free via work.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Question time:

My Apple calendar is shared with the missus.
But for some reason she constantly gets notifications about my appointments as if I was adding them all the time. multiple times, duplicates, triplicates, etc..
Needless to say she is upset about the barrage of notifications.
We've tried unsubscribing, re-sharing etc. Not really sure what else we can do.
Anyone aware of a similar problem?

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
No I have one, but I never bought the adapter cause I never really needed it. Plus I have a windows desktop, surface pro, speced out 4K hp laptop, and my XPS work laptop.
Gotdamn, bro lol.

Question time:

My calendar is shared with the missus.
But for some reason she constantly gets notifications about my appointments as if I was adding them all the time. multiple times, duplicates.
Needless to say she is upset about the barage of notifications.
We've tried unsubscribing, re-sharing etc. Not really sure what else we can do.
Anyone aware of a similar problem?

iCloud calendar? Google?

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I rinsed my IPhone XS off last night and afterwards, the faceID stopped working. A few minutes later and the screen went dead. Phone still works but no image. I have apple care and took it to my local apple store, the associate told me it may take 4 weeks to fix but I need to speak with an "apple genius" and need to return the next day. Wtf? I'm getting ready to head out there so I can have a functioning phone incase we are quarantined. What can I expect here?

Edit: I also have the early upgrade program (didnt plan on using it though) and asked if I could just upgrade. He said they have to make sure the phone works first and only the "apple genius" could do that. Ugh

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of these don't conform to USB C specs. This has been an issue for a while now. It's why I've tried to stay away from 3rd plugs for Apple/Android/Switch/insert here.

man - I found out last night the usb c headphone adapter I have works on all android and pc devices but not iPad "pro"

I've also had terrible luck getting usb c video to work, period on any device- I have two displays that support it in theory but hard no from iOS and flaky detection on Android and PC

works with my Anbernic handheld console thing but nothing else

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully early rumours about mouse cursor support in ios14 and smart keyboard with built in trackpads are true. Although likely to be expensive I think that'd tip me over the edge (if compatible with current pro, not sure I'd upgrade the iPad for it). I assume the current smart keyboards are the max price they can get away with so a trackpad version would be $199 and the regular would drop a little

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to call a Corona hotline because I have some symptoms, but everytime they try to redirect me to the medical personnel, the call drops. What is this? Reception issue? Phone issue? iOS issue? Getting a bit panicky over here

edit: I tried it three times. Had to wait over 20min each time. The third guy said they totally overloaded. He wanted to try it one more time. And again, the call disconnected. Fuck..

Last edited:

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to call a Corona hotline because I have some symptoms, but everytime they try to redirect me to the medical personnel, the call drops. What is this? Reception issue? Phone issue? iOS issue? Getting a bit panicky over here

edit: I tried it three times. Had to wait over 20min each time. The third guy said they totally overloaded. He wanted to try it one more time. And again, the call disconnected. Fuck..

im guessing it's not an iOS issue and it sounds like your in the USA somewhere.

Check your state and local websites for resources available

I understand that the main initial symptoms are a fever and a dry cough but I am not an expert.

if you feel like you need to then you can try to call your local primary care doctor, or go to the emergency room.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
im guessing it's not an iOS issue and it sounds like your in the USA somewhere.

Check your state and local websites for resources available

I understand that the main initial symptoms are a fever and a dry cough but I am not an expert.

if you feel like you need to then you can try to call your local primary care doctor, or go to the emergency room.

Europe, actually. It's probably on their end. Gonna try again tomorrow. Not leaving the house.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Overcast podcast app seems to be absolutely killing my battery - only started today. iPhone 11 normally lasts the whole day easily, but it's been warm/hot to the touch and battery settings shows overcast eating tons in the background. Tried killing it but it is still doing it.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Europe, actually. It's probably on their end. Gonna try again tomorrow. Not leaving the house.

Good. That's also what they're gonna tell you anyways, i think. "Stay at home, call us when you're getting worse."
Like, even if your symptoms were identified as likely to be caused by COVID-19, you're not supposed to be in a hospital bed unless you really need it.

All of the above being just my assumptions - i have no idea how and where the testing actually happens. But i don't believe they want you anywhere near a hospital or a doctor's office.

Stay safe. Get well soon!

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Overcast podcast app seems to be absolutely killing my battery - only started today. iPhone 11 normally lasts the whole day easily, but it's been warm/hot to the touch and battery settings shows overcast eating tons in the background. Tried killing it but it is still doing it.

Do you have a beta iOS installed? I have 13.4 beta installed and I've had periods where my phone gets really hot. I had pinned the issue on Facebook since it goes away if I force kill it. I have Overcast too, but it doesn'tseem to be tied to it.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Anyone use a Nintendo certified Switch charger for their MacBook Pro? Any issues? I left my Apple one at work and we are working from home this week.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone use a Nintendo certified Switch charger for their MacBook Pro? Any issues? I left my Apple one at work and we are working from home this week.

im not sure if it will provide enough power (depending somewhat on what MacBook Pro you have) for use while charging. The new 16" MBP for example comes with a 96W power brick. Switch charger is 7.5W. Even if it works, it would take a long time to fully charge the battery.

I think that if your MacBook Pro doesn't like the charge it is being sent then it won't accept it and it won't charge.

Apple computers tend to charge best with Apple chargers imho.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
im not sure if it will provide enough power (depending somewhat on what MacBook Pro you have) for use while charging. The new 16" MBP for example comes with a 96W power brick. Switch charger is 7.5W. Even if it works, it would take a long time to fully charge the battery.

I think that if your MacBook Pro doesn't like the charge it is being sent then it won't accept it and it won't charge.

Apple computers tend to charge best with Apple chargers imho.

It is a 2017 15 inch pro. I tested it and it does charge when I plug it in. Wish I would have grabbed my charger when I left but we didn't know we were working from home at the time.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Switch will accept up to 18w so that's probably what the laptop is getting.
So just slower charging.

The charger should list what voltage and amps it can deliver. Multiply that to get the wattage.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Good. That's also what they're gonna tell you anyways, i think. "Stay at home, call us when you're getting worse."
Like, even if your symptoms were identified as likely to be caused by COVID-19, you're not supposed to be in a hospital bed unless you really need it.

All of the above being just my assumptions - i have no idea how and where the testing actually happens. But i don't believe they want you anywhere near a hospital or a doctor's office.

Stay safe. Get well soon!

Thanks.

I finally got through today. Basically: As I have not been to China recently, and I have not been in contact with a confirmed case, they will not test me, no matter what symptoms I have. Isn't that great?

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I was amazed at this A14 over 3GHz rumor.

www.macrumors.com

Apple's A14 Chip Rumored to Become First Arm-Based Mobile Processor to Exceed 3GHz

Apple's unreleased A14 chip is rumored to be the first Arm-based mobile processor to officially exceed 3GHz, according to a new report...

The rumor only mentions the iPhone but... Imagine a new 16inch MacBook Pro with an 8-core A14X that goes over 3GHz (not the turbo boost but the regular speed) and doesn't require a fan... is it even possible?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Wow I was amazed at this A14 over 3GHz rumor.

www.macrumors.com

Apple's A14 Chip Rumored to Become First Arm-Based Mobile Processor to Exceed 3GHz

Apple's unreleased A14 chip is rumored to be the first Arm-based mobile processor to officially exceed 3GHz, according to a new report...

The rumor only mentions the iPhone but... Imagine a new 16inch MacBook Pro with an 8-core A14X that goes over 3GHz (not the turbo boost but the regular speed) and doesn't require a fan... is it even possible?
If their efforts to port iPad OS apps to MacOS with catalyst is any indication for MacBooks with ARM CPUs dark times are coming.

Don't forget that everything you use right now is based on x86, have a look over to Windows and their ARM based devices. It somewhat works, but that's only because of the Windows store and all the native apps available.
I don't know where Apple is heading with their MacBooks tbh. They just released that insane Mac Pro, having two different platforms for their computers does not make any sense. If the rumors are true, and iOS gets proper mouse support in iOS 14, I think that's what we will be getting: pimped iPads.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
If their efforts to port iPad OS apps to MacOS with catalyst is any indication for MacBooks with ARM CPUs dark times are coming.

Don't forget that everything you use right now is based on x86, have a look over to Windows and their ARM based devices. It somewhat works, but that's only because of the Windows store and all the native apps available.
I don't know where Apple is heading with their MacBooks tbh. They just released that insane Mac Pro, having two different platforms for their computers does not make any sense. If the rumors are true, and iOS gets proper mouse support in iOS 14, I think that's what we will be getting: pimped iPads.

www.macrumors.com

Kuo: MacBooks With Apple-Designed Processors Coming Late 2020 or Early 2021, All-New Design to Follow in Mid 2021

In addition to forecasting the launch of new MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models with scissor keyboards in the second quarter of 2020, analyst...

Kuo thinks ARM macs are coming in late 2020 or early 2021.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
www.macrumors.com

Kuo: MacBooks With Apple-Designed Processors Coming Late 2020 or Early 2021, All-New Design to Follow in Mid 2021

In addition to forecasting the launch of new MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models with scissor keyboards in the second quarter of 2020, analyst...

Kuo thinks ARM macs are coming in late 2020 or early 2021.
Oh I'm sure there will be ARM MacBooks. But I don't think they will replace your current MacBook Pro if you want to use your existing software.
Unless Apple pulls a rabbit out of a tophead of course, and they created a x86 emulator that performs like an x86 Mac...

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'm sure there will be ARM MacBooks. But I don't think they will replace your current MacBook Pro if you want to use your existing software.
Unless Apple pulls a rabbit out of a tophead of course, and they created a x86 emulator that performs like an x86 Mac...

They have to have some kind of "rosetta" emulator. And they would have to have a version of MacOS that runs on ARM.

Rosetta was around for several years before they got rid of it when they made the transition to Intel chips.

Apple can't possibly expect x86 to be replaced in a Pro workstation by ARM chip anytime soon, or ever.

but for anything that runs off of a battery then ARM would be a big improvement. I would expect MacOS and the full suite of Mac apps and a version of Microsoft office. Etc.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
They have to have some kind of "rosetta" emulator. And they would have to have a version of MacOS that runs on ARM.

Rosetta was around for several years before they got rid of it when they made the transition to Intel chips.

Apple can't possibly expect x86 to be replaced in a Pro workstation by ARM chip anytime soon, or ever.

but for anything that runs off of a battery then ARM would be a big improvement. I would expect MacOS and the full suite of Mac apps and a version of Microsoft office. Etc.
I think we share the same expectations 😃

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Found my MacBook Pro mid-2014 problem to be related to the video cable. With all the shops closed around, how easy is it to repair myself, and what is the best screwdriver ? (I think it's a T5 ou T6? There's so many on Amazon)... Thanks !

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
twitter.com

9to5Mac.com on Twitter

“Apple unveils new iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard case, available to order today https://t.co/l1pGXlWYBe by @ChanceHMiller”

ipad pros with trackpad keyboards? Might have to buy the keyboard if they work with the 'old' pros. Smooth angle adjust too

edit: $349 for the 12" keyboard. What the absolute fuck

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
twitter.com

9to5Mac.com on Twitter

“Apple unveils new iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard case, available to order today https://t.co/l1pGXlWYBe by @ChanceHMiller”

ipad pros with trackpad keyboards? Might have to buy the keyboard if they work with the 'old' pros. Smooth angle adjust too

edit: $349 for the 12" keyboard. What the absolute fuck
They're insane. There's no justifiable reason for a freaking keyboard to be $350.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
it would literally be cheaper to have an entire normal ipad under your ipad pro just to use as a keyboard

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Can I use the trackpad with my old ass first gen 9.7 Pro too? I can totally see how this might replace 80% of computers/laptops used at home.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Updates for the MacBook Air and Mac mini too.

Can I use the trackpad with my old ass first gen 9.7 Pro too? I can totally see how this might replace 80% of computers/laptops used at home.
Looks like it.

• Trackpad support will be available on any iPad running iPadOS 13.4, and work with Apple's Magic Mouse 2, Magic Trackpad 2 and the Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro. Third-party mice connected over Bluetooth or USB are also supported.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Updates for the MacBook Air and Mac mini too.

Looks like it.

• Trackpad support will be available on any iPad running iPadOS 13.4, and work with Apple's Magic Mouse 2, Magic Trackpad 2 and the Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro. Third-party mice connected over Bluetooth or USB are also supported.
meh, only the new Trackpad. Too bad... The price of the keyboard is hilarious though.

It also explains the whole Catalyst alpha we can currently on our Macs. I guess every app will add nicer support for mouse+keyboard controls, which will also result in much better ported apps.

Milk120

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, so I don't have an option on the site to trade in my 12.9" 3rd gen iPad Pro. Like, none at all.

Also the new iPad looks pretty underwhelming. It doesn't seem like it has 5G, it's still using an A12, no mini-LED display.

Most of the good rumors were a bust.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Reading apples page, the trackpad support literally looks like they took the accessibility feature and just surfaced it as a separate thing. Cursor is still a circle, can still only left click I think . Still a good move - the kinda of apps I use would benefit from a mouse

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Reading apples page, the trackpad support literally looks like they took the accessibility feature and just surfaced it as a separate thing. Cursor is still a circle, can still only left click I think . Still a good move - the kinda of apps I use would benefit from a mouse
Well, a right click in a system that only knows left clicks doesn't make any sense anyway, right?

Oct 25, 2017
As the owner of a mid 2018 MBP 13 (butterfly kb with membrane) as well as the MBP 16 (magic kb), I gotta admit I like typing on the butterfly keyboard more :/

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that keyboard is expensive, but I'd rather have that and an IPP than an MBA.

Edit: Actually, the new MBAs are actually a nice step up. $999 starting price, new keyboard, better specs. Gonna jump on that first!

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are missing something here:

It's not the keyboard or the trackpad that justifies the price, it's the hinge that keeps the iPad afloat. We're talking about "$999 for a Metal stand with pivot, swivel, but no rotate"-Apple here 😓