• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Are any of you guys doing academic writing on Mac? I don't need a lot of exotic features since I'm doing law. I've grown to love Markdown over the past months (Word just feels so incredibly bloated and irritating in comparison) but neither Ulysses nor iA Writer seem to be up to the task. Ulysses doesn't support tables from what I've seen (wth?!) and iA Writer puts all footnotes at the end of the document. Any suggestions for other writing and related software in the field (bibliography management etc) you find useful or workflows in general?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Are any of you guys doing academic writing on Mac? I don't need a lot of exotic features since I'm doing law. I've grown to love Markdown over the past months (Word just feels so incredibly bloated and irritating in comparison) but neither Ulysses nor iA Writer seem to be up to the task. Ulysses doesn't support tables from what I've seen (wth?!) and iA Writer puts all footnotes at the end of the document. Any suggestions for other writing and related software in the field (bibliography management etc) you find useful or workflows in general?
You should check out LaTeX. :)

There are loads of different LaTeX clients available for OSX.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On my way home from work today I bought the Mophie wireless charger for my iPhone 8. So cool!

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

You might check out Scrivener, I think some academics (and many writers) use that, and it's made more for longer documents with footnotes, etc. But yeah, I think most academics use LaTeX still?

Thisman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fraudulent website check and block popups is greyed out on iOS . How do I fix this

GJ87WP1_d.jpg

haozz

Nov 7, 2017

Emacs has a markdown mode, and I bet vim has something for it too. Sublime Text also can support markdown editing.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
All thanks to (downloading) the latest iOS 11 beta, the Video app has been swiftly removed.

Thanks (!)

This TV app that is its replacement is forking shite.

I don't want to see all the things I have purchased over the years, and it takes three buttons/swipes too many to get into the downloaded videos menu whilst it was instantly there in the Video app before.

I have been with Apple since their beautiful 1st generation MacBook and the 4th generation (classic) iPod, and iOS 11 is the biggest piece of trash they have ever conceived.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up a pair of Beats Studio 3 Wireless for a comparatively great price but I'm not blown away at all for the price. The base hiss is very noticeable, probably enhanced by the noise canceling. The build quality feels insanely cheap for the asking price and I fear the hinges will break anytime I fold them. I was so irritated that I even checked if they were genuine (I would've been very surprised if they were fakes considering the W1 chip pairing worked). On the pro side the cups are comfy, the noise canceling is pretty great (a bit irritating for now because I never used headphones with the feature before) and sound is crisp.

Dunno. First Apple product I consider returning. Maybe I just got a bad pair? I think Zeyphersan got some, wanna weigh in?

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Beats are notorious for bad build quality.
They're still to this day made from cheap plastic aren't they?
Many assumed that was something Apple would fix after the buyout... but I guess not.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Beats were never about quality of build or sound, just aesthetics and cred. It's partly why people were confused why Apple would buy them and not really clean them up, and a rationale why they never rebranded to something more Apple-y

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Beats were never about quality of build or sound, just aesthetics and cred. It's partly why people were confused why Apple would buy them and not really clean them up, and a rationale why they never rebranded to something more Apple-y
I knew they had a controversial reputation - Apple products do too so I wasn't too worried about internet comments - but the price is just insulting for the build and I paid close to half MSRP. My 20€ Superlux feel more sturdy and premium than these. Guess I'll give them a week before I decide whether or not the W1 chip, sound and noise canceling is worth it.

Also yeah, Apple Watch achievements bring out the achievement whore in me. One more month till the 365 days award!

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was eyeing the Studio 3s too but found the MDR-1000X on a black friday sale and I'm super happy with them, convenience of the W1 be damned.

They do feel quality, but the truth is that people report the plastic starts to crack after some months of usage. So pick your poison. Every company just wants the quick buck.

lemming

Oct 27, 2017
You should check out LaTeX. :)

There are loads of different LaTeX clients available for OSX.

Any editors that you particularly recommend, and have you had any experiences working on a tablet?

I'm currently halfway through my PhD and working with Tex editor on Win10. Soon I'll spend a semester away from home, and I was considering upgrading my ipad 2 (from 2011, yikes) to a pro + keyboard. I won't get to bring my desktop, and wasn't exactly excited in purchasing a laptop, as I will not have further use for it after this period.

Oct 26, 2017
Wife and I were discussing getting a baby monitor camera for our 4 month old to keep an eye on him. Somehow , an idea popped into my brain. I took my phone into his room and used my camera app on my apple watch to peek in from downstairs.

Wife wants me to buy her an Apple Watch today :)

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wife and I were discussing getting a baby monitor camera for our 4 month old to keep an eye on him. Somehow , an idea popped into my brain. I took my phone into his room and used my camera app on my apple watch to peek in from downstairs.

Wife wants me to buy her an Apple Watch today :)
Of course an Apple Watch serves many other purposes but a dedicated baby monitor is cheaper and can offer many other benefits, such as being always in place, not needing to set your phone aside, 2-way audio and even soothing lights and lullabies in some of them :p

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone tried reading stuff on their iPhone X in near or total darkness? I was reading this forum - the brightness on the phone was of course set very low, probably on lowest - and holy crap does it ever cause crazy amount of eye strain! I thought I was either super tired, or my eyes were going bad - it was getting almost impossible to focus, after a few minutes, and I tried squinting, trying to see anything clearly. Eventually I just gave up. Next night, same exact thing, and I was confident I wasn't tired, and that my eyes weren't tired at all.

Reading about it today, and it actually seems to be a pretty common problem. It's most likely due to screen PWM (240Hz full screen on/off flicker) that practically all OLED screens on phones use. Thankfully, LG OLED TVs do not use this technology (never had this kind of problem while watching my TV) but instead use the voltage based brightness control. Due to this, TVs have more problems with color uniformity - but no flicker. Tonight, I'm going to try the test with regular old iphone 6, which uses LCD screen with no PWM flicker, and see for sure if I'm going crazy, or if X just shouldn't be used on low brightness in the darkness :\

Actually, reading even more about it, there's a 60Hz screen flicker even with high brighness on X, but it's not a full on/off type of flicker, but rather a smaller flickering brightness variation. This is something I don't think I can really notice, but I'm not going to lie, I don't like that it's there, as it probably tires eyes out more than it would if there was no flicker.

Here's the measuring of the 60Hz (100-50% brightness) and PWM (50%-Min) brightness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXOdaFwdKlY

Here's a video that clearly shows that 60Hz pulsing exists on high brightness, by recording it with a 240FPS camera and playing back in slow motion: https://youtu.be/99w3Wmp1agI?t=2m25s

Last edited:

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
What's the best way to sell a Mac laptop? Through Apple's buyback program I could get about $400 for my late 2012 MBP but it has 16GB RAM and a GPU so that amount feels low even for a 5 year old computer...

Should I go to... Craigslist?

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone done a deep dive on how the Apple Watch measures exercise?

Consider this situation: I enter the gym with about 20 minutes of exercise filled from a 31 minute walk earlier in the day recorded as a workout on the watch (I assumemy heart rate was not up for the whole walk?)

I start Strong on my phone and work out for 40 minutes. After finishing my workout my exercise ring hasn't budged. However, once I close out Strong and the data transfers I have 69 minutes of total exercise.

So I have to assume the heart rate monitor is not working well during the workout (in fact, if you look at the graph in Activity for the workout, there is no graph due to insufficient readings) and the exercise is being calculated based on basic data from Strong.

In fact I find the only time the heart rate monitor seems to work well is if I am really not moving at all or if I am walking with a natural motion. I also use an indoor cycling trainer, and the watch completely fails to measure my heart rate while using it (I have a chest strap I use instead).

So the whole thing is a little curious and it would be good to know if anything scientific has been done on the limitations of the heart rate monitor.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I was trying out the Series 3 Apple Watch the other day, and went to look at the options on the official website, which lists Series 3 and a Nike edition. So is the watch not sold with a metal band or the like anymore?

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I still can't find it on the Danish store.

Maybe it's not available here, strange.
The reason the steel model is not available in Denmark is that they don't yet have LTE support for the Series 3 watch there. Steel model of the watch is only made with LTE built in, so they don't want to sell something that you can't use the way it's meant to. It's a crappy situation because so many people probably don't even care about LTE, and would rather have a better looking watch, but now they just can't.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The reason the steel model is not available in Denmark is that they don't yet have LTE support for the Series 3 watch there. Steel model of the watch is only made with LTE built in, so they don't want to sell something that you can't use the way it's meant to. It's a crappy situation because so many people probably don't even care about LTE, and would rather have a better looking watch, but now they just can't.
Yeah it's ridiculous. People that have been clients of the stainless steel watch since the first generation 3 years ago now can't buy another one anymore, not even a replacement. Not even a series 1 or 2. If you're out of a Apple Watch w/ LTE country you're stuck with aluminum watches. It's messed up.

Last edited:

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the LTE watch situation boggles the mind. Surely the SS and Watch Editions are the ones with the highest profit margin. If I were Apple I'd just not advertise the feature in the countries where it's unavailable and sneak them into the store. Perhaps there are legal issues with this approach though.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's ridiculous. People that have be clients of the stainless steel watch since the first generation 3 years ago now can't buy another one anymore, not even a replacement. Not even a series 1 or 2. If you're out of a Apple Watch w/ LTE country you're stuck with aluminum watches. It's messed up.
Your only option is to import the watch, knowing full well that once the LTE support becomes available in your country, your imported watch will not be able to access that LTE. It really completely sucks.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why the LTE in the watch wouldn't be supported here though. We have phones with LTE and Denmark is one of the countries at the absolute forefront of the technology in the world. Does the watches run on other LTE bands than the phones or such?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why the LTE in the watch wouldn't be supported here though. We have phones with LTE and Denmark is one of the countries at the absolute forefront of the technology in the world. Does the watches run on other LTE bands than the phones or such?
No but the carriers would have to support eSIM for the watch afaik. Germany has one single carrier that does sell the Watch fwiw lmao.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Did Apple start letting people download low bitrate 4K movies on phones? Because I downloaded Moonlight twice, and both times it showed 14GBs, full HD version should only be around 4. Unless HDR metadata takes up an extra 10.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know a decent app for creating picture collages? Can be web-based, but I'd prefer a native app (Mac/iOS). The more options, the better.

In particular, I'm looking for a convenient tool to create Before-After pictures. Or timelines, by extension (e.g. Me in 2015 vs. Me in 2016 vs. Me in 2017).

Last edited:

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb resolution question for Macbook Pro: the scaled option only adjusts the appearance of the text and not the actual resolution correct?

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb resolution question for Macbook Pro: the scaled option only adjusts the appearance of the text and not the actual resolution correct?

Yes, the scaled options do affect the resolution the OS renders at. On the 2012-2015 Retina models, the default resolution is "native" resolution, the "more space" options render at higher resolution and downsample, and the "larger text" options render at lower-res and upscale. On the 2016/2017 models, the default resolution is actually one scaled setting above the actual display panel's resolution (so they are downsampling by default).

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On the 2016/2017 models, the default resolution is actually one scaled setting above the actual display panel's resolution (so they are downsampling by default).
So I am running my 2017 Pro out to a UHD LG monitor, so what they list under the scaled resolution is the actual resolution that it is outputting?

Sorry for the continued confusion, I think it all comes from the "Looks like .... "

Last edited:

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I am running my 2017 Pro out to a UHD LG monitor, so what they list under the scaled resolution is the actual resolution that it is outputting?

Sorry for the continued confusion, I think it all comes from the "Looks like .... "

It's cool, I know it's confusing! With UHD displays, Apple does something a bit odd. For everything but the very last option, the resolution they list for "looks like" is actually rendering at twice that. So for instance - the larger text option says "looks like 1920x1080", but everything is actually rendered at 3840x2160 (aka, 4K), just with 2x resolution (Retina) assets so everything looks much sharper. The "looks like 2560x1440" option is actually downscaling 5K (5120x2880), and so on - except the very last "more space" option, "looks like 3840x2160", is actually just 3840x2160 but with 1x (aka, non-Retina) assets so everything is smaller. (You can see this in the screenshots you posted, in fact.)