• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
So if Apple drops intel chips in macs for ARM... And Marzipan is the Trojan horse secretly bringing this change to software on Mac... then how long after this happens would Apple support older intel based Macs with yearly MacOS updates?

(Also why would Apple introduce a new modular intel based Mac Pro in 2019 right before they drop intel for ARM in Macs?)

Nov 5, 2017
So if Apple drops intel chips in macs for ARM... And Marzipan is the Trojan horse secretly bringing this change to software on Mac... then how long after this happens would Apple support older intel based Macs with yearly MacOS updates?

(Also why would Apple introduce a new modular intel based Mac Pro in 2019 right before they drop intel for ARM in Macs?)

I think Apple will keep supporting Intel-based Macs for quite a while. ARM-based Macs would make up just a tiny portion of their overall Mac installation base at first, so it would make sense to keep supporting Intel Macs for a good long time.

The Mac Pro will have more performance than anything that the ARM based Mac can deliver, something that content creators and any other professional wanting just raw performance can't get with the ARM architecture.

In time, sure, ARM will get to the performance standards of the Xeon architecture that powers the Mac Pro, but at first, because of the maturity of the Xeon architecture and the amount of RAM that it can handle and the clock speed, it will still beat the ARM Macs handily when it comes to IPC and benchmarks and any other performance metric, so Apple is going to be releasing the Mac Pro on the tried and true x64 architecture that content creators have been demanding for a long time now.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The News app for the iPhone is the absolute worst. Nothing but fluff and gossip, but no hard news. I have turned off getting news from Fox. But it still posts them.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I managed to get my boss to buy me an Apple Pencil 1st generation for note taking on my ipad pro 9.7 2016. I have to say that it feels really nice to work with. I tried using a cheap stylus and there is no comparision. I still think $50 would be a fairer price, but whatever, I didn't pay for it this time.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Apple will keep supporting Intel-based Macs for quite a while. ARM-based Macs would make up just a tiny portion of their overall Mac installation base at first, so it would make sense to keep supporting Intel Macs for a good long time.

The Mac Pro will have more performance than anything that the ARM based Mac can deliver, something that content creators and any other professional wanting just raw performance can't get with the ARM architecture.

In time, sure, ARM will get to the performance standards of the Xeon architecture that powers the Mac Pro, but at first, because of the maturity of the Xeon architecture and the amount of RAM that it can handle and the clock speed, it will still beat the ARM Macs handily when it comes to IPC and benchmarks and any other performance metric, so Apple is going to be releasing the Mac Pro on the tried and true x64 architecture that content creators have been demanding for a long time now.
I'm not actually sure the "Apple can't make a competitor to a Xeon chip" statement is accurate, given that they can get pretty exceptional power out of their fanless chips. No one except them has seen what a fan-cooled 85-125W chip could do.

I think the more germane thing for the pro market is a) a lot of pros are rightly and wrongly dead set in their ways, and b) there's a lot of weird edge cases/legacy issues involved with software.

If Apple can produce chips that are nearly as performant as Intel's at the same classes and can produce a Rosetta-like translation layer for compatibility I don't see why they wouldn't switch. But either they can't get that performance, they don't see the advantage of producing weird A series SKUs for a tiny market, or they're playing it safe since their last daring foray burned them pretty badly.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to get my boss to buy me an Apple Pencil 1st generation for note taking on my ipad pro 9.7 2016. I have to say that it feels really nice to work with. I tried using a cheap stylus and there is no comparision. I still think $50 would be a fairer price, but whatever, I didn't pay for it this time.

I didn't charge mine for a while and it won't work now. Feels bad because my daughter wants one and I don't want to buy another.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't charge mine for a while and it won't work now. Feels bad because my daughter wants one and I don't want to buy another.
To be fair to Apple, Microsoft charges $100 for their Surface Pen. I wanted to take better notes and my iPad was not being used. I will keep hoping a fool's hope that Apple opens up iOS more.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The A12 and A12X are already fucking pummeling Intel in performance for watt. The new iPad Pro has 28W Intel CPU performance and Xbox One S-level GPU performance in a god damn fanless sub-10w design. Like, we're talking 2017 15" MBP power in a 5mm thin tablet! There is nothing else on the market even close to that thing.

I have little doubt that Apple could design a 95w-125w actively cooled chip that embarrasses the Xeon at this point.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gave my mom my gen 1 AirPods for her to use with her android phone. It's not nearly as seamless as with iOS but she likes it so shrug

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Yes but it depends on the game. A Slow paced game is OK. A twitch shooter is gonna be terrible due to the lag.

So not doom?

Will the signal go downstairs 1 room? My bedroom is directly below the the living room PlayStation. That's the only use case I can think of for this tech. I'm trying to think of a good game for this that is slow. Ooh adventure games using this to my iPad Pro. Would that not be sick. Does this go over wifi

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
So not doom?

Will the signal go downstairs 1 room? My bedroom is directly below the the living room PlayStation. That's the only use case I can think of for this tech. I'm trying to think of a good game for this that is slow. Ooh adventure games using this to my iPad Pro. Would that not be sick. Does this go over wifi
It's wifi yes, so the signal goes through your router. It works well for me all around the house, but my PS4 has a wired connection to my router so that's one potential source of lag completely eliminated.

I got excited when the app came out because I could play remotely, but as it turns out, there isn't a game I'm currently playing that I'd tolerate using a touchscreen for.

Deleted member 56069

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I downloaded Swoot to replace Pocket Casts since I was fairly irritated with the new UI update. Swoot has been pretty good, hoping it takes off a bit so I can have better Podcast recommendations. I am trying to find some new apps that have some great design, so far I have really enjoyed Apollo for Reddit and TweetBot. Ever since I switched from Android to iOS I have noticed that iOS has a fairly good amount of paid, quality apps.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
How can i deactivate the recommendation how to improve my batterylife? I dont want that entry there but I dont want to activate the recommendation.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It's wifi yes, so the signal goes through your router. It works well for me all around the house, but my PS4 has a wired connection to my router so that's one potential source of lag completely eliminated.

I got excited when the app came out because I could play remotely, but as it turns out, there isn't a game I'm currently playing that I'd tolerate using a touchscreen for.

Oh you'd want an MFi controller for serious use. If you're fairly close to the PS4 you might be able to use the DS4 still synced to your console

Oct 29, 2017
I downloaded Swoot to replace Pocket Casts since I was fairly irritated with the new UI update. Swoot has been pretty good, hoping it takes off a bit so I can have better Podcast recommendations. I am trying to find some new apps that have some great design, so far I have really enjoyed Apollo for Reddit and TweetBot. Ever since I switched from Android to iOS I have noticed that iOS has a fairly good amount of paid, quality apps.

Besides the social aspect, what does Swoot do differently? It doesn't look like there's a dark theme, settings section looks pretty limited and the app seems a little sparse? I'm still struggling to find a podcast app that I like.

I usually use Pocketcasts but finding it frustrating now. I've tried Overcast but it's so poorly designed. I've also tried Castro, Podbean, Acast and the Apple Podcasts app but none have clicked with me.

Good calls on Tweetbot and Apollo, they're the apps I use.

Last edited:

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else with AirPods 2 have a weird thing where the audio of whatever you're listening to speeds up or slows down when you unlock the phone?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
lol, two new AirPods models supposedly dropping Q4 2019 - Q1 2020 already. https://9to5mac.com/2019/04/24/kuo-all-new-airpods-2019-two-models/
Of course the new design ones will be even more expensive while they managed to drive down costs for both models according to Kuo.
I guess it makes sense, Gen 2 was scheduled for mid/end 2018 as evident by the manufacturing dates and was thrown off schedule by AirPower ✝️.

On another note, I got the Original Apple USB-C charging cable 2m since the good third party ones weren't that much cheaper. Online reviews were right for once: It comes with an awfully smelling, white staining coating of sorts wtf. Wiped it off twice with a wet cloth and it seems gone for now. I don't know if this helped prevent cable damage or something since it ships tightly wrapped but not a good first impression at all

Last edited:

enanogrande

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone know a good way to batch convert url links in notes from they "text" state to the newer tile-like links? I wanna go from this:

8MhlmbE.png

To This:

wB8Qf4Y.png

But the only way I know how to do it is opening the link in Safari then using the share extension to add it to the note again. I recently migrated my "travel ideas" folder of notes from OneNote to Apple Notes, and as such would rather not have to do the safari process 100ish times.

Hell, I wouldn't mind if there was at least some way to convert them from inside the notes app even if i had to do it one by one, It's just the whole going to safari and back that has me annoyed.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know a good way to batch convert url links in notes from they "text" state to the newer tile-like links? I wanna go from this:

8MhlmbE.png

To This:

wB8Qf4Y.png

But the only way I know how to do it is opening the link in Safari then using the share extension to add it to the note again. I recently migrated my "travel ideas" folder of notes from OneNote to Apple Notes, and as such would rather not have to do the safari process 100ish times.

Hell, I wouldn't mind if there was at least some way to convert them from inside the notes app even if i had to do it one by one, It's just the whole going to safari and back that has me annoyed.

Can you long press on the link and share it back to the same note?

Oct 25, 2017
Mail and the App Store are suddenly missing from my iPad. iCloud and my account is grayed out in settings... any ideas? Should I try a restore from backup?

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can you give me a good cliff notes on why Intel is seemingly having such problems lately?

They aren't really having "major" problems. No terrible engineering or egregious decisions, it's just a less competitive space than mobile. They aren't excelling, but they are still ahead of AMD in many ways (with key obvious exceptions like graphics focus, core count).

We can talk about process and transistor density, and you might hear that intel is struggling here, but I'm skeptical about this, as there is some leeway/play here in how companies measure process and transistor density against each other.

I think the big problem isn't so much Intel themselves as it is x86 being long in the tooth. It's Intels bread and butter, but it seems kinda fucked per-watt vs ARM long/medium term. Not really Intels fault, except that their wagon is hitched to that star.

Mobile has been selling more than traditional x86 machines for a while now, so the money and the will just isn't there like it once was to spur progress, at least proportionately that is, in comparison to mobile.

So really it's not so much Intel sucking too much, but instead the mobile/ARM market just being more relevant, and more fiercely competitive, with almost impossible year on year performance improvements.

Intel looks bad in comparison to this, sure. Do they look bad in a vacuum or VS their former Intel selves ?... not so much. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be worried about their lunch getting eaten though.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
They aren't really having "major" problems. No terrible engineering or egregious decisions, it's just a less competitive space than mobile. They aren't excelling, but they are still ahead of AMD in many ways (with key obvious exceptions like graphics focus, core count).

We can talk about process and transistor density, and you might hear that intel is struggling here, but I'm skeptical about this, as there is some leeway/play here in how companies measure process and transistor density against each other.

I think the big problem isn't so much Intel themselves as it is x86 being long in the tooth. It's Intels bread and butter, but it seems kinda fucked per-watt vs ARM long/medium term. Not really Intels fault, except that their wagon is hitched to that star.

Mobile has been selling more than traditional x86 machines for a while now, so the money and the will just isn't there like it once was to spur progress, at least proportionately that is, in comparison to mobile.

So really it's not so much Intel sucking too much, but instead the mobile/ARM market just being more relevant, and more fiercely competitive, with almost impossible year on year performance improvements.

Intel looks bad in comparison to this, sure. Do they look bad in a vacuum or VS their former Intel selves ?... not so much. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be worried about their lunch getting eaten though.

Are they ahead of AMD? I thought AMD was already working on 7nm chips

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

8MhlmbE.png

To This:

wB8Qf4Y.png

I don't use Notes a lot so I don't know if it's possible to do programmatically. Here's a shortcut that extracts all text URL's from a selected note and opens them in safari so you can do the share sheet action quicker: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/c1cf78ba4add437f8afb214791f8a8c5

I have only tested it with a handful of links but it worked fine. The shortcut will let you know how many urls it found and will ask you to continue before dumping them in safari.

If you have an iPad you could just splitscreen notes and safari and drag and drop the Adress bar in the Note.

Last edited:

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The News app for the iPhone is the absolute worst. Nothing but fluff and gossip, but no hard news. I have turned off getting news from Fox. But it still posts them.
At least it's available in your country 🤷‍♂️ I've honestly lost hope that it will ever be available here in Germany and I don't want to use Google News.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
According to the Health app, I sleep 2-3 hours per night on average. 🤦‍♀️👍
Why would it say that? Afaik the iPhone only writes sleep data to Health if you use the bedtime alarm feature (= fixed sleep length based on the settings there) and it doesn't do some pseudo-magically auto detection based on movement.
At least it's available in your country 🤷‍♂️ I've honestly lost hope that it will ever be available here in Germany and I don't want to use Google News.
Same. Print media too busy stuffing EU parliamentarian lobby hoes (which might result in Google News shutting down sooner than later anyway) 🤷‍♂️

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
So, regarding the AirPods..

Do the ones with the wireless charging case require a separate wireless charger? like this one?

https://www.samsung.com/latin_en/mobile-accessories/wireless-charger-ng930-galaxy-s7-s7-edge/

I got it with my S7 Edge a couple of years ago, will the AirPods work with it?
They will work with any Qi wireless charger, however you might run into problems with your angled charger since the coils in the Airpods case and the charger will need to align. So you either need to prop up the case, create some custom mod that holds it in place, make the charger flat if that's an option or buy another flat charger. Maybe if you're lucky it works right out of the box, I can't really tell. The technology is compatible, suffice to say.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
They will work with any Qi wireless charger, however you might run into problems with your angled charger since the coils in the Airpods case and the charger will need to align. So you either need to prop up the case, create some custom mod that holds it in place, make the charger flat if that's an option or buy another flat charger. Maybe if you're lucky it works right out of the box, I can't really tell. The technology is compatible, suffice to say.
Are there recommended Qi chargers for this and other Apple products (iPhone Xs Max, might buy an Apple Watch in the future)?

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Are there recommended Qi chargers for this and other Apple products (iPhone Xs Max, might buy an Apple Watch in the future)?

Basically just any 7.5w+ charger, but if you want airpods to charge you need something flat, so hopefully it's wide enough to sit an Xs Max on. The Verge has a general piece on Qi Charger recommendations.

Apple Watch only charges wirelessly (so you can just use what it ships with) but doesn't simply obey the Qi spec, so if you want to charge that too, you need a combo dock like this one? It's not the Airpower dream of put whichever device wherever, but it does allow you to charge both things in one place.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Aren't there other news apps you can download there? I've found that both the weather and news app that come standard with the iPhone are subpar.
Yeah I have the apps of a few news outlets and they get the job done, but I'd rather have a single app that collects news from different sources in one place. I haven't found anything comparable to Google News yet, which I stopped using because I want to stay away from Google products as much as possible. That's also why I finally switched to iOS this year (a decision I have not regretted as of yet!)

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah I have the apps of a few news outlets and they get the job done, but I'd rather have a single app that collects news from different sources in one place. I haven't found anything comparable to Google News yet, which I stopped using because I want to stay away from Google products as much as possible. That's also why I finally switched to iOS this year (a decision I have not regretted as of yet!)
I completely understand. It's like trying to find one movie/tv show streaming service that has everything. I just doesn't exist anymore.

And I completely agree about staying away from Google products. I just wish Maps was as good as Google Maps. I tried using DuckDuckGo as my primary search engine for two months and hated it. Had to go back to Google.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, DuckDuckGo is unfortunately terrible for anything remotely specific. I'm also stuck with Search, Maps and YouTube for now. All it would take for me to drop Google Maps would be offline mode in Apple Maps but they're having a really hard time implementing that for whatever reason (probably licensing).

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't had any problems with DuckDuckGo tbh, it's my standard search engine on my iPhone and Mac, but I guess it depends on your requirements and use cases. Same with Maps. YouTube is pretty hard to quit though, yeah... I thought about using it without an account but I guess some of the videos are age restricted and I wouldn't be able to watch those any longer.

Oct 25, 2017
Youtube is the only Google Product I use, and I use it to watch specific videos; I don't have an account to track/watch things. I've been fine with Apple Maps since it launched, but I know some people have use-cases where they need something else. I just think people who keep trashing it are hyperbolic. DDG takes a while to get used to, and searching on it is different than Google. Even if I have to fallback on Google, I'd rather start in DDG.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, and DDG actually makes it very easy to do so.
Honestly, with their use of the bang operator, I start everything there. If I have to search google or google images, just append !g or !gi. Amazon is just !a. Heck, if you play video games, you can use !gamefaqs to search gamefaqs immediately. There's so many good and cool things with it that I don't think are easily discoverable for new people.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I'd really rather have Apple sherlock Nuzzel (and have robust RSS support) for the power users who want an all-in-one news app.

I get that recommendations and stuff are how they can turn it into a revenue stream, but for any kind of real news addict News.app is attractive but useless. And there's still no single solution for all of my news gathering needs. Sigh.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Honestly, with their use of the bang operator, I start everything there. If I have to search google or google images, just append !g or !gi. Amazon is just !a. Heck, if you play video games, you can use !gamefaqs to search gamefaqs immediately. There's so many good and cool things with it that I don't think are easily discoverable for new people.
Yep this. On my desktop I had whatever extension for shortcuts like this for years but can just use DDG shortcuts everywhere now, including iOS. Hell I search with it from the home screen search.

Those those that don't know: https://duckduckgo.com/bang

I generally just try whatever site and it tends to work, most big established sites are supported it feels like.

Machspeed007

Nov 25, 2017
Isn't it just the same functionality like google's "site:amazon.com"? it's shorter to just write "!a" of course, but it does the same thing, isn't it?