• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I have better experience with their built in Mail app. Outlook will randomly decide not to push my e-mails to me and I'll be happily dicking around and suddenly find out that I've had work mail that needed attention but didn't sync for hours. Or I'll go to check my mail and it'll say I have none, then spend the next 20 minutes going to find and sync all my mail. I dunno, maybe it's on the server side but it's awful. All this despite using Outlook daily.

I should mention that my work is using Office 365 so I'd expect a pretty good integration.

I actually have had the same issues so I might try something else. I also would like 365 integration. I just hate the native mail app.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
I think they'd honestly be wiser to keep its capabilities the same but drastically lower the price on it, if the point is to get AppleTV+ into more living rooms.

That said, if we see a gaming push from Apple that includes a first-party actually-for-gaming controller (I could see the W3 currently inside the Apple Watch Series 4 or maybe the H1 chip from the AirPods 2 making this happen - you'd want a controller that could move between your mac, your apple tv, and your ios device just as easily as your apple arcade subscription does), I could see them also updating the AppleTV 4K to push a box with more competitive 3D rendering capabilities.

Not sure that's in their strategy though.
Yeah I feel like they really should, if not have to do a controller, if nothing else because the Apple TV support with Apple Arcade. iPhone/iPad are going to get stuff designed for them cause sheer user base, the Mac is along for the ride and keyboard/mouse and gamepad support is normal for PC games so nothing new there, but the Apple TV is just on its own without a controller. Mandating a controller for Apple Arcade on there makes things a lot easier for developers, and if they have a first party one (I concur on the appeal of an auto pairing/switching Apple one like the AirPods) it'll show another level of seriousness that hasn't been there. I figure to push it and the service they can include a year of Apple Arcade with the controller or something.

As for the box itself, Apple TV+ doesn't necessarily need a lower price one cause they're pushing the content onto other TVs/devices. Lots of stuff is getting AirPlay too. Which leaves the Apple TV as a nicer streaming box with some apps and Apple Arcade. It's decently capable enough as is that a lower price would probably have more effect than more power.
I can't wait for the multi instance functionality.

E: Holdup, I misread. Just sub window functionality it seems. Ugh, kinda whatever on that front
Eh, multi windows could effectively work the same as multiple instances I'd think. Kinda curious what workflow you want that would require multiple instances over windows.

*using "windows" really loosely here, I suspect it'd work somewhat like Safari split view but actually separate like the split screen multitasking.
Nice ad, but these look even worse than Airpods! D:

Need to see darker colours.
Noticeably big especially cause the earhooks but think they look alright. I like them and AirPods better than most of the other ones that try to be minimal and end up looking kinda like chunky ear plugs.

CNET's preview video a little while back showed them in black:
https://youtu.be/cYuL6pHfbTU

Last edited:

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, multi windows could effectively work the same as multiple instances I'd think. Kinda curious what workflow you want that would require multiple instances over windows.

*using "windows" really loosely here, I suspect it'd work somewhat like Safari split view but actually separate like the split screen multitasking.
If it works like Safari split view that would be fine, maybe I misinterpreted the article. From what I gathered it talked about native support for creating windows in an app that can be dragged around (much like a settings sub-window in a traditional desktop app for example).

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Wow, this one seems great. I've used Outlook for a while now but it always felt it was annoyingly slow. Edison seems much faster.

Happy to help. It's been the third party email app that I have stuck with the longest and I've tried all of the major ones at least. It's been rock solid for me, and I haven't run into too many annoyances with it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So I got the infamous sticky keys. :(

Luckily my MBP, which I just last year, is not a daily driver. However, I'm still bummed. Apple really messed up with these terrible butterfly switches. I have AppleCare so I should be good repair wise, but it will happen again based on online reports. It's just a shitty mechanism.

They really need a completely new model. These touch bar MBPs are going to look terrible looking back. Just so many awful design decisions. Minimal ports, terrible thermal design, shitty butterfly keyboards that fuck up. Just an awful "Pro" product.

These things aren't cheap and the way Apple just flubbed these machines so badly.

I'm thinking of going the iPad Pro and iMac route (I already have this one). My issue with iPad Pro is that it is still rather limited by iOS. The hardware is not holding it back, it's the software.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And yet there are still people who believe it won't happen to theirs. It's just a matter of time on these new MacBooks.

Oct 25, 2017
I've not used Luna, but I have used Duet to use my iPad as an external monitor for my MacBook when traveling and it's handy.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
gonna be really hard not to run the betas this year lol

6wYIVXW.jpg

Made this reminder for myself during beta season last year (I predicted WWDC would be the third, that was lucky). None of the features usually work as well as you'd want, and multiple things always break. And since a lot of tempting features are those that have to be implemented by third parties and they don't get updated until the general release anyway, there's not much point.

I'm sharing this because I agree it's going to be SO HARD not to do it

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
6wYIVXW.jpg

Made this reminder for myself during beta season last year (I predicted WWDC would be the third, that was lucky). None of the features usually work as well as you'd want, and multiple things always break. And since a lot of tempting features are those that have to be implemented by third parties and they don't get updated until the general release anyway, there's not much point.

I'm sharing this because I agree it's going to be SO HARD not to do it
Yeah, stuff like Dark Mode and the vast majority of the supposed iPad changes are going to require developer implementation to really be any good, it's true.

And any improvements to Mail.app and Reminders.app most of us have probably already solved with third-party apps.

But the volume HUD though.

(personally I think running the macOS beta on your Mac should be an okay idea, and the iOS beta on your iPad, but do not run betas on your daily-driver phone)

Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand, you're going to be missing out on all the cool stuff the cool beta users get to use first. All the other kids are doing the betas. Don't you want to be a cool kid too?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy for loving the typing feel of the current Smart Keyboard? The surface feels so nice too.

However, whoever is responsible for the iOS hardware keyboard experience should be punched. If I don't want to have that fat bottom bar clogging up screen space (I still haven't found a way to use the QuickType suggestions with keyboard shortcuts) and disable it, I also apparently lose the quick login feature for websites (that also resides in this shortcuts bar)?! Is there really no keyboard shortcut to toggle this thing when I need it?

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah, stuff like Dark Mode and the vast majority of the supposed iPad changes are going to require developer implementation to really be any good, it's true.
There are still apps on macOS that haven't even been updated for dark mode. And it's been almost a year. It's gonna take a while for everyone to catch up. Really though my most big concerns are Twitter (Which has a dark mode that is blue right now. I hate it. I want it black) and FaceBook proper who still doesn't have it even though Messenger has one.

Carbon Copy Cloner (Bombich) says they aren't going to bother until they do a full redesign of the UI because "it would take too much time to redo all the images" even though there really aren't many image resources in CCC that would be difficult to tweak.

No word from Transmission. They have even less resources that would need updating.

Sublime Text only recently got support for both Dark Mode and system-wide tabs. Though that app's actual UI is mostly customizable with themes anyway so you really only saw the window chrome in the titlebar if you were running it windowed.

I hate opening the News app and getting blinded by the article side of the screen which is still black text on white.

Oct 25, 2017
There are still apps on macOS that haven't even been updated for dark mode. And it's been almost a year. It's gonna take a while for everyone to catch up. Really though my most big concerns are Twitter (Which has a dark mode that is blue right now. I hate it. I want it black) and FaceBook proper who still doesn't have it even though Messenger has one.

Carbon Copy Cloner (Bombich) says they aren't going to bother until they do a full redesign of the UI because "it would take too much time to redo all the images" even though there really aren't many image resources in CCC that would be difficult to tweak.

No word from Transmission. They have even less resources that would need updating.

Sublime Text only recently got support for both Dark Mode and system-wide tabs. Though that app's actual UI is mostly customizable with themes anyway so you really only saw the window chrome in the titlebar if you were running it windowed.

I hate opening the News app and getting blinded by the article side of the screen which is still black text on white.
Transmission has a version of dark mode right now that's a fork. Since Transmission hasn't been updated in a while, it's still current.

Also, Chrome's dark mode for me makes text in the URL bar white when I select it, so I actually have no idea what I'm selecting since it then turns to white on white. Don't know why.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is looking for relatively cheap iPod alternative Walmart has iPhone 6s on sale for $150. Prepaid locked but I've been wanting a smaller gym/running phone.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2019 will be another double S generation with 2020 being the iPhone to get then.Too bad for me because I really want dual-SIM, and I'm just waiting for one of my providers to support eSIM.

I wonder how is relationship between Apple and Intel, knowing they Intel sucks at modems, sucks at graphics, and in the long run Apple wants to replace their CPUs as well.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Best Buy has effectively 15% off on all the new iPad Pros. I don't know how long the sale is for, but it just hit today.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I'd been holding out for a new phone to this year, but as it sounds like we can expect 5G functionality from 2020 I'm tempted to wait yet again.

Are we expecting the 6S+ to get iOS 13?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I'd been holding out for a new phone to this year, but as it sounds like we can expect 5G functionality from 2020 I'm tempted to wait yet again.

Are we expecting the 6S+ to get iOS 13?
Considering the 5S still got iOS 12, I guess the 6S has at least one year of support left. We'll know in a few weeks when iOS 13 is announced at WWDC anyway.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Gruber:

So my question is: did Apple settle with Qualcomm because Intel warned them they were getting out of the 5G modem business, leaving Apple with no other option? Or did Intel get out of the 5G modem business because Apple settled with Qualcomm?

My initial guess is it's the former: Intel decided to get out of this market, and Apple got squeezed.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apple has money to squeeze. Being taken advantage of is not right of course, but it's also not right for the iPhone to have subpar modems and a poor modem roadmap when the company has more money than god, and the phones are pricey and should stand for top of the line components. That's why I'm not entirely convinced this is merely the result of Intel pulling out, since the outcome wouldn't be great even if they stayed. Maybe Apple takes the L on this one but there's a big W for both Apple and Qualcomm to stay partners in the upcoming years.

At least, like Zeyphersan said, until Apple makes their own modems 🤭

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Gruber:

So my question is: did Apple settle with Qualcomm because Intel warned them they were getting out of the 5G modem business, leaving Apple with no other option? Or did Intel get out of the 5G modem business because Apple settled with Qualcomm?

My initial guess is it's the former: Intel decided to get out of this market, and Apple got squeezed.

I think it was a mix:
1. Intel saw the writing on the wall that Apple was willing to build their own modems
2. Qualcomm gave a number that would dismiss the cases on both sides but ALSO delay Apple's entry into modems
3. Apple did the math and calculated it would be cheaper to settle than to fight (which, even if they have amazing amounts of money, is still a distraction better moved elsewhere). Plus, it's a settlement, so no judgement; they can always return to court in the future if QC presses the Texas button again.

Win/win/win in the sense that Apple gets Qualcomm, Qualcomm keeps their market, and Intel GTFO before they lose their shirt. You could still call Intel a loser but they have plenty of other business to fight like Optane vs. SSD.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Anybody watching Samsung Fold coverage and wondering when Apple will adopt a similar tech? I have to admit the form factor looks pretty nice and something that I'd enjoy especially after a few generations of iteration. It would be nice too with the better tablet ecosystem of iOS.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody watching Samsung Fold coverage and wondering when Apple will adopt a similar tech? I have to admit the form factor looks pretty nice and something that I'd enjoy especially after a few generations of iteration. It would be nice too with the better tablet ecosystem of iOS.
I'm watching it and i'm eagerly expecting the hardware to be similarly bend and drop tested to 'prove' how 'flawed' the design is.
What - it isn't? How curious.

The folding thing looks super neat. Still unsure which implementation i prefer.
Samsung's has a weird gap / hinge, but it protects the large display - while requiring a super redundant additional small display on the front of the phone.
Huawei's has the entire plastic display on the vulnerable outside, but folds up more nicely and doesn't need an extra screen. And also uses the 'good' camera for selfies - due to the wrap around screen.

Oct 25, 2017
Gruber:

Yeah I don't see how why they would have gone to trial for all of a day otherwise. It was probably Intel backing out that forces Apple to back down.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I'm watching it and i'm eagerly expecting the hardware to be similarly bend and drop tested to 'prove' how 'flawed' the design is.
What - it isn't? How curious.

The folding thing looks super neat. Still unsure which implementation i prefer.
Samsung's has a weird gap / hinge, but it protects the large display - while requiring a super redundant additional small display on the front of the phone.
Huawei's has the entire plastic display on the vulnerable outside, but folds up more nicely and doesn't need an extra screen. And also uses the 'good' camera for selfies - due to the wrap around screen.

I think the Samsung one is better for the screen and maybe the crease even. Huawei's phone is definitely more attractive with no notch and more tame bezels.

I want to see someone do a scratch test on these plastic screens. I wonder what level they will scratch at. I do hope Apple adopts the tech sooner than later. The Fold is enticing me pretty hard, but I'm in the Apple ecosystem entirely as well as my family, so I now play the waiting game.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I think the Samsung one is better for the screen and maybe the crease even. Huawei's phone is definitely more attractive with no notch and more tame bezels.

I want to see someone do a scratch test on these plastic screens. I wonder what level they will scratch at. I do hope Apple adopts the tech sooner than later. The Fold is enticing me pretty hard, but I'm in the Apple ecosystem entirely as well as my family, so I now play the waiting game.
Apple won't have extendable screens until rollable screens are reliable, good quality, durable and don't increase the device size too much.

Foldable phones are a stopgap, and the current implementations poor at best. Nice gimmick, nice tech demo, but ultimately too impractical to replace normal smartphones. Not to mention the price, which allows you to buy the 10.5" Air, as well as a flagship phone of your choosing above base spec and still have money left for a set of wireless earphones.