• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the rumors for mixed up, and these Powerbeats Pro are those black matte water resistant AirPods 2 we were hearing about

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend is an illustrator and needs a new iMac. Luckily Apple just released new ones!!

However, I'm trying to decide which one she should get. I'm inclined to get her the hexacore 3.0 GHz i5, but afaik Photoshop isn't all that good at multicore and thus big clock speeds are more beneficial, and one model lower has the 3.6 GHz i3. The i3 doesn't have turbo boost though, so I'm not quite sure what's best here. In any case, I'm upgrading her ram to 16 GB.

The i5 model also has a better gpu with double the vram, and it comes with the fusion drive by default. When I select the fusion drive for the i3 model, it's only marginally cheaper. Not sure how much the better gpu will benefit her, though.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

What formats/sizes is your GF working at? Because to be honest I can do pretty large canvases in Photoshop on my old an creaky Mac Pro. The theoretical speed benefits are blunted by the fact that Adobe's applications really don't make full use of your available hardware.

If anything, I'd say the best use of your money isn't on the processor but the SSD, especially if she isn't using another SSD for her cache and scratch disks (and because an SSD will make every task faster and has fewer points of potential failure than a fusion drive). After that would come the GPU since it's non-upgradable, then the RAM and processor.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Seeing a lot of sources say that the ETA on the second gen Airpods will be tomorrow for delivery. Wondering if these ETAs reflect in-store availability as well?

I prefer to pick mine up along with a new XR at the same time.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seeing a lot of sources say that the ETA on the second gen Airpods will be tomorrow for delivery. Wondering if these ETAs reflect in-store availability as well?

Mine originally said early April and now I'm getting them on Wednesday, for what it's worth. Store availability is still going to be a crapshoot

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I take it the Watch needs an update to be compatible with the new AirPods? Still nothing yet and they're basically out today.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Just added my Sony Bravia to the Home app via Homebridge and the 12.2 TV integration into Home is actually fantastic! Switching input channels manually was a pain in the butt before since I never have the remote on hand and controls on the set are finicky. Now I can control the whole system from my iPad / iPhone. Bless all these devs that do what greedy ass companies don't (aka providing new features to expensive TV sets that are barely over two years old). I'm done with Sony TVs anyway, adding (even more) spyware to this shitty Android TV OS is not acceptable.

Oct 31, 2017
Just in case anybody hasn't noticed, there's a new firmware out for the original AirPods too, version 6.3.2, seems to improve the connecting experience quite a bit. I'm wondering how much of the connectivity improvements touted for the v2 are really just improved software.

To update they need to be in the case and conencted to power, within bluetooth range of your phone.

You can check you version in the AirPods section in General -> About

Last edited:

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
Updated all my devices (MacBook, iPad and iPhone XS max) and the new Apple News app crashes instantly on all of them. lol.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone tell me whats so special about the Airpower mat? Is it doing anything special that other products on the market isn't already doing?

I see mats on Amazon that charges 2+ products at once at 10W. Is there something proprietary in the Airpower im not seeing?

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Can someone tell me whats so special about the Airpower mat? Is it doing anything special that other products on the market isn't already doing?

I see mats on Amazon that charges 2+ products at once at 10W. Is there something proprietary in the Airpower im not seeing?

1. It works for Apple Watch
2. It can simultaneously charge an iPhone, Airpods, and Watch, if the old promo is to be believed.

So basically, three coils close together and interoperable support for Apple Watch. But honestly, we haven't even seen a real one yet so who knows on wattage, how close the coils are together, how loosely things can sit on the mat when next to each other, etc. I remember an old report suggesting 8 coils or something to make it truly idiot-proof (just put three things on there, it works) but it could also be much simpler than that?

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

d2b21433-cbd9-4824-9qakoj.jpeg

Sources 🤷‍♀️

Deleted member 4518

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else starting to notice that their AirPods don't really last as long as they used to on a single charge? I'm not really down for $269.99 CAD for the new generation of AirPods after only 1.5 years of owning the originals, despite how much I love them.

Dobbie078

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else starting to notice that their AirPods don't really last as long as they used to on a single charge? I'm not really down for $269.99 CAD for the new generation of AirPods after only 1.5 years of owning the originals, despite how much I love them.
Yes, I've also noticed that my left airpod is very quiet but that might just be dirty inside the airpod.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Consequence of such small batteries, unfortunately. Not much Apple can do given battery chemistry being where it's at.

Yes, I've also noticed that my left airpod is very quiet but that might just be dirty inside the airpod.

There's probably some wax behind the grill, which is difficult but not impossible to clean out

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding the announcement of the Apple TV app coming to Roku, Fire TV and other devices:

Does that mean that I'll be able to watch movies I've purchqsed in iOS or Apple TV in my Roku once that app rolls out?
Or is this strictly the TV streaming service and won't include purchased movies from Apple?

Oct 25, 2017
With the new AirPods being bluetooth 5.0, I wanted to look up what I have that is also 5.0 compatible. And, I noticed that the Apple TV 4K is 5.0, but the Siri remote itself is only 4.0. I guess it doesn't matter all that much, but I wonder why it's only 4.0 and not 5.0.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I wonder if the new Powerbeats Pro will use USB-C instead of Lightning. Only the BeatsX use Lightning, while the Powerbeats 3 use micro USB.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Regarding the announcement of the Apple TV app coming to Roku, Fire TV and other devices:

Does that mean that I'll be able to watch movies I've purchqsed in iOS or Apple TV in my Roku once that app rolls out?
Or is this strictly the TV streaming service and won't include purchased movies from Apple?

I bet it includes iTunes purchases, like Apple Music on Android does

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I bet it includes iTunes purchases, like Apple Music on Android does
That would be great. I have a really old Apple TV but I never keep it hooked up anymore because its interface is fairly slow, but my fiancé and I have several movies that are only on iTunes (not on Movies Anywhere yet) and it sucks to have to plug the Apple TV back in just to watch the handful of movies we have on there.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
The autocomplete suggestions in Safari's search on iOS now finally have the arrow at the right edge to add the suggestion to the address bar without searching it. Took them long enough to finally copy the idea from Chrome.

gamma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, mine were almost 2 years old and felt like they had less than 50% the capacity of new ones. Luckily we have 2 year warranty here so Apple exchanged them for free.

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone know why my AirPods aren't showing in Settings-General-About? They're paired up and work fine but I was just going to check the firmware version and they're not showing in the About screen where it says they should be.

Edit: Nevermind, they appeared after shutting the lid.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Since when do we see our AppleCare coverage in the "About" section? iOS 12.2? Because that's pretty nifty.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
1. It works for Apple Watch
2. It can simultaneously charge an iPhone, Airpods, and Watch, if the old promo is to be believed.

So basically, three coils close together and interoperable support for Apple Watch. But honestly, we haven't even seen a real one yet so who knows on wattage, how close the coils are together, how loosely things can sit on the mat when next to each other, etc. I remember an old report suggesting 8 coils or something to make it truly idiot-proof (just put three things on there, it works) but it could also be much simpler than that?
From what I've read about wireless chargers is that there's usually a sweet spot you have to line up to charge, which takes away a bit from the convenience factor. Like you can't necessarily just plop a phone down anywhere, it's gotta line up right. The overly complex AirPower rumors make sense in that light since they want people to be able to just stick stuff anywhere on there and just work...unfortunately that's apparently more difficult to pull off than they thought (at least to their satisfaction).
Yeah...if I get new ones (or the new Powerbeats) I'll sell mine to fund them. On the plus side AirPods are now a hot thing apparently so it looks like you can sell them for a decent amount at least.

I'd be down for a battery replacement (which presumably just means new/refurb AirPods)...but IIRC for the cost to replace both I might as well get new ones.
I wonder if the new Powerbeats Pro will use USB-C instead of Lightning. Only the BeatsX use Lightning, while the Powerbeats 3 use micro USB.
I'm really hoping USB-C, particularly since they have an Android market to cater to, but wouldn't be surprised at Lightning. The redesigned Pill they came out with a while ago was Lightning as well, then again, that was quite a while ago at this point. Perhaps things have settled down with USB-C and it's ubiquitous enough to go with it. And wondering if it'll have wireless charging too.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Is it possible to remove any or all of these apps from my MacBook? I don't use any of them.
  • Books
  • Calendar
  • FaceTime
  • Home
  • iMovie
  • iTunes
  • Mail
  • Maps
  • Notes
  • Photos
  • Siri
Dragging them to the trash does nothing, not even a message telling me they can't be deleted.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Wow this bug introduced in 10.14.4 really sucks.

Some macOS Mojave 10.14.4 users having problems with Gmail & G Suite authentication in Apple Mail

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...th-gmail-g-suite-authentication-in-apple-mail

I can't check Gmail mail with Apple mail or use Apple Calendar with my google calendar anymore. Stuck using the web version until Apple issues a fix.

Apparely if you have vanilla Gmail it's fine but if you have some kind of G-Suite or institutional account then your likely experiencing this bug.

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
Would the ipad mini 2 (i know it's old) be worth 90 bucks? i'm looking for something to just dick around on in bed mostly, for videos and era surfing and stuff.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Would the ipad mini 2 (i know it's old) be worth 90 bucks? i'm looking for something to just dick around on in bed mostly, for videos and era surfing and stuff.

It should be fine - my kids both have one and use it for youtube, browsing etc. Price is what you think is worthwhile but seems reasonable to me

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to remove any or all of these apps from my MacBook? I don't use any of them.
  • Books
  • Calendar
  • FaceTime
  • Home
  • iMovie
  • iTunes
  • Mail
  • Maps
  • Notes
  • Photos
  • Siri
Dragging them to the trash does nothing, not even a message telling me they can't be deleted.
Are you dragging from the applications folder or just the dock? Essential apps that can't be deleted with throw up an error if you attempt to trash them.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Are you dragging from the applications folder or just the dock? Essential apps that can't be deleted with throw up an error if you attempt to trash them.
I don't think you can delete these apps, because they're not just apps but also deeply integrated system services (Mail, Messages, Maps, Calendar, Siri, Photos, etc.)
You should be able to delete iMovie, it's an app from the app store, so you should be able to hold-option-and-click-the-X when looking at iMove in launchpad.

Besides, most of these apps take up very little space.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
It kinda sucks you apparently can't disable Hey Siri on the new AirPods while keeping it enabled on the phone.

Also yeah, my personal Spam-Gmail asked me to sign in again today, my university-issued Gmail didn't. Both work fine though 💦

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I don't think you can delete these apps, because they're not just apps but also deeply integrated system services (Mail, Messages, Maps, Calendar, Siri, Photos, etc.)
You should be able to delete iMovie, it's an app from the app store, so you should be able to hold-option-and-click-the-X when looking at iMove in launchpad.

Besides, most of these apps take up very little space.
Thing is, the "services" these apps provide aren't actually in the apps themselves for the most part. Like iOS it's all in libraries in the background. So like iOS you should be allowed to remove those apps on macOS, but Apple doesn't let you right now. You'd think they'd want to make it like iOS and have the ability to "offload" these apps or delete them all together, but it would still keep the helper libraries in place. To the user they'd be gone but the OS would still work when it needs to. Maybe 10.15 will allow it. macOS seems to get iOS features a few years later these days.