• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have been using Fantastical 2 for calendar and Outlook/hotmail for email.

Any reason I should be switching? To be completely honest I never used the Apple Calander. Just heard people weren't impressed with it and never tried it.

...........and I just locked myself out of my phone. I'm fucked aren't I. I made a new password at work and went to write it down in my notes and forgot too when something must have come up.

So now unless I can remember it I will lose all my data but i will be able to recover it by going to Apple? Also I never had a recovery on iTunes as I'm new to Apple and didn't realize this was something I needed to do, so I guess a MAC is in my future much sooner than I expected.

I just get whatever is new and cheap I guess. So prob the cheapest MacBook Air?

Apple Calendar is just really basic. It's fine, but it's just a calendar, nothing fancy. I just use it out of convenience and inertia.

And if you forgot the passcode to get in, the only thing to do is erase it. There is no other option, there is no data recovery. If your phone had made a backup to iCloud or iTunes before getting locked you can restore that backup, otherwise you'll be setting up as new.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Anyone else have trouble moving videos from iPhone to a PC? It disconnects for me very frequently and it doesn't happen with any other device in my collection (including DSLR, etc.) It's happened with every generation of iPhone i've had.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else have trouble moving videos from iPhone to a PC? It disconnects for me very frequently and it doesn't happen with any other device in my collection (including DSLR, etc.) It's happened with every generation of iPhone i've had.
I think it's just the way the iPhone presents itself to the pc (my DSLR exposes itself as the SD card for example, iPhone is some sort of "camera" device) and how windows handles it extremely poorly. I remember it was always an unresponsive PITA copying multiple items/large amounts of data when I used to do that, doubt they have improved since then.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Came out with smart cases for the current lineup FYI:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MRXK2LL/A/iphone-xs-smart-battery-case-black

Of course what's dumb is it's hard to tell if the battery life they're quoting is just the phone + the pack or only the pack.
$130, damn. It better quadruple the battery life for that price.

Nice that it works with wireless chargers though, but I still think I'd rather just use a small (cheap) portable battery charger. But I can see the benefit for people who aren't near a charger much during the day or use their phone so much that having it plugged in at all is inconvenient.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

Nice that it works with wireless chargers though, but I still think I'd rather just use a small (cheap) portable battery charger. But I can see the benefit for people who aren't near a charger much during the day or use their phone so much that having it plugged in at all is inconvenient.

It's looks like another 80% battery life, which makes sense for the slim form factor. The true convenience of these cases isn't the Qi though; it's the Lightning pass through. It's one if not the only battery cases on the market (I know Mophie sells some now and then, but inconsistently) that uses Lightning to charge instead of MicroUSB, which is a big deal if you have a flat full of Lightning chargers...

Oct 25, 2017

It's looks like another 80% battery life, which makes sense for the slim form factor. The true convenience of these cases isn't the Qi though; it's the Lightning pass through. It's one if not the only battery cases on the market (I know Mophie sells some now and then, but inconsistently) that uses Lightning to charge instead of MicroUSB, which is a big deal if you have a flat full of Lightning chargers...

The price isn't crazy considering Mophie's are basically the same price for roughly the same capacity. The Apple charger doesn't have the chin, charges via Lightning versus USB, and has better iOS integration so you can see its charge status alongside other accessories, and it prioritizes draining the external battery before the phone itself.

I've got a big 10000mAh battery pack with two outputs I bring with us when we're traveling and that's definitely a better option for us, but I can see the appeal of the battery cases, especially if you're regularly burning through your battery rather than only in special circumstances.

I'm sure you can find some chinese knockoffs for half the price, but I've always held to the "don't buy off-brand stuff when power and batteries are involved" and it's served me pretty well.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always miss the train on Apple battery cases. When they came out for 7 and 8 I had a 6s+. Now got an X and it only comes out for Xs... and Xs Max and Xr!

Although it probably fits the X nicely enough, just with a little camera gap. Still not getting it, upgrading my phone in 2019 for dual-SIM and I already feel the burn on owning a few Apple cases. But would have certainly bought one of these if they came out back then with the X.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
The price isn't crazy considering Mophie's are basically the same price for roughly the same capacity.

Great point on the iOS integration too.

It's certainly a tough pill to swallow next to all of the dirt cheap 10 dollar silicone cases and almost as cheap external batteries these days, but absolutely, it's a convenience thing. Most big batteries are minspec MicroUSB, so not much better than the Apple 5W mini-charger, and you need two cables - MicroUSB for charging the battery, and Micro>Lightning for charging your phone. And of course if you don't pack in a MFi cable there are loads of those on the market with weird problems like "unsupported device" messages, just plain flaking out, and and the lovely "you must login to your phone to make this work" issues. The case should also be PD compatible if you have the ($$$) USB-C cable and charger for fast charging.

If you already have a nice battery (for example, for Nintendo Switch/Macbook charging) it's similarly useless. But if I'm stuck in a conference all day it's really appealing.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I can see the value in those cases, and I knew they wouldn't make an X case.

Doesn't bother me because it seems like my phone is always charged up, from at home or in the car when I use CarPlay.

And I think I can use my iPad Pro to charge my phone too, right.

I was thinking the battery was going to drain badly from having a watch but I use my shit a lot and the battery's on my x and s3 kick ass every day no problem.

I have no interest in an XS but next year Apple kind of needs to show a lil balls with iPhone so I could see it being tempting.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Is the program for MacBooks with anti-reflective coating issues still going on? I have a used 2015 MacBook Pro that I believe is starting to suffer from this

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am extremely satisfied with the battery on my XS, to the point where I regularly end the day with around 40% left, without charging at all during. And that's with doing stuff like wireless CarPlay as I drive around. But I won't lie, that case with the Qi charging and soooooooo much extra battery is tempting. Despite the fact that I would hardly make use of it.

Is the program for MacBooks with anti-reflective coating issues still going on? I have a used 2015 MacBook Pro that I believe is starting to suffer from this

As long as you're within three years of your purchase, you would still be covered. Might be a hard ask as we just hit 2019, but it's technically still possible?

I can see the value in those cases, and I knew they wouldn't make an X case.

Doesn't bother me because it seems like my phone is always charged up, from at home or in the car when I use CarPlay.

And I think I can use my iPad Pro to charge my phone too, right.

I was thinking the battery was going to drain badly from having a watch but I use my shit a lot and the battery's on my x and s3 kick ass every day no problem.

I have no interest in an XS but next year Apple kind of needs to show a lil balls with iPhone so I could see it being tempting.

People think that having an Apple Watch would hurt the battery on their phone, but I find the opposite to be true. Because your screen isn't lighting up for every notification, and because it's using bluetooth LE to maintain the connection, iPhones tend to either see no effect in battery or a slight boost, depending on the number of notifications/screen brightness that you were subjecting your phone to.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really stretched my XS much, but with smart invert on especially the battery life is pretty great. I'll have to see how it does on a long car trip with navigation and Fog of War tracking on for a true test.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I just dug up an old JP iTunes ID and want to archive the apps on there (mainly interested in preserving the assets). I know I can dump the ipa with iMazing quite comfortably but some apps have a greyed out button in the purchase list on my iPad. I have a hunch this is due to 32bit architecture since they are very old. I can't add them manually as iMazing just seems to search the US Store with their manual adding feature. Any idea how to grab them?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
After some usage time now... I am not a fan of the grey bar at the bottom that is getting shown all the time in specific apps, especially horrible in the iMessage app. I guess that does not happen on pre-X phones since they have the hardware button?

Eden

Nov 15, 2017
Have they done any revisions on the new iPhone models? I like my XS Max but the crappy wifi is pretty frustrating at times.

Would they let me exchange it for an 8+?

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
As long as you're within three years of your purchase, you would still be covered. Might be a hard ask as we just hit 2019, but it's technically still possible?

I don't actually know when it was purchased since I bought it used and the laptop itself was bought by the person in Russia and I live in Israel.
I could try to ask him tho. Will I still be covered even tho it was bought in a different country?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't actually know when it was purchased since I bought it used and the laptop itself was bought by the person in Russia and I live in Israel.
I could try to ask him tho. Will I still be covered even tho it was bought in a different country?

https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

Pop your serial into there and see if it gives a date when warranty coverage ended. I'm assuming that the original guy didn't buy AppleCare for it, but this will also confirm or deny that. As for the coverage in a different country, it's my understanding that warranty is honored as long as it was purchased in a country that has official Apple stores, and is being serviced in a country that has official Apple stores. If either country only has "authorized resellers" that doesn't count.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

Pop your serial into there and see if it gives a date when warranty coverage ended. I'm assuming that the original guy didn't buy AppleCare for it, but this will also confirm or deny that. As for the coverage in a different country, it's my understanding that warranty is honored as long as it was purchased in a country that has official Apple stores, and is being serviced in a country that has official Apple stores. If either country only has "authorized resellers" that doesn't count.
Thanks.
It didn't show the date but I talked to the guy who I bought it from and he said it was purchased in 2015.
I guess I'm out of luck but I'll take it to Apple anyways, nothing to lose.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I seem to not be able to remove Homekit accessories anymore. I didn't change the wifi or anything. The "remove accessory" option just stopped showing up.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I seem to not be able to remove Homekit accessories anymore. I didn't change the wifi or anything. The "remove accessory" option just stopped showing up.

Any accessories in particular giving you trouble, or all of them? Present on one device or all of them (assuming you have more than one to check on)?

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any accessories in particular giving you trouble, or all of them? Present on one device or all of them (assuming you have more than one to check on)?
Just lights it seems. From both IKEA and Philips. Only my Elgato Eve smartplug seems be able to be removed. I've checked this across iPhone, iPad and Mac.

This is not a huge deal, mind. I just want to remove bulbs that aren't connected at the moment to clean the "device not responding" clutter. Maybe it's time for a big rebuild soonish.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just lights it seems. From both IKEA and Philips. Only my Elgato Eve smartplug seems be able to be removed. I've checked this across iPhone, iPad and Mac.

This is not a huge deal, mind. I just want to remove bulbs that aren't connected at the moment to clean the "device not responding" clutter. Maybe it's time for a big rebuild soonish.

Things that use a bridge appear to not be removable. My Philips lights also can't, and neither can the Logitech POP button have, both of which have a bridge. Everything else can be removed as normal.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Things that use a bridge appear to not be removable. My Philips lights also can't, and neither can the Logitech POP button have, both of which have a bridge. Everything else can be removed as normal.
Ah, shame on me. I have even removed a Hue lightstrip in the past and I still had no recollection of it. I probably need to go through their apps. Thanks!

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth visiting the Genius Bar to get them to check my out-of-AppleCare iPad?

I can't restore it and it's stuck in recovery mode. Would they do anything, or just tell me it's busted and to move along?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is it worth visiting the Genius Bar to get them to check my out-of-AppleCare iPad?

I can't restore it and it's stuck in recovery mode. Would they do anything, or just tell me it's busted and to move along?

If it's out of AppleCare, they'll just offer to replace it for an obscene price. That's really all they can do with iPads, either restore the OS or replace the whole thing, no matter what's wrong with them.

Note that this is for the US, if you're in a different country you might have some consumer protection claim or something.

Here's a list of US repair prices (I know it says screen damage but really it's anything non-software):
https://support.apple.com/ipad/repair/screen-damage

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
Do you think 8GB is enough for MacOS these days?

I'm interested in buying the new MacBook Air and I'm trying to decide whether or not I should sacrifice storage capacity for the 16GB RAM model. I don't plan to use the laptop for anything more than some basic photo editing, web surfing and media consumption.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you think 8GB is enough for MacOS these days?

I'm interested in buying the new MacBook Air and I'm trying to decide whether or not I should sacrifice storage capacity for the 16GB RAM model. I don't plan to use the laptop for anything more than some basic photo editing, web surfing and media consumption.

If that's all you'll use it for, 8GB will be fine and you'd probably be more comfortable with more storage. macOS memory compression is very effective, anyway, so even if you somehow had a lot happening at once the system would keep on keeping on

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
How's the Kindle app for the iPad Pro(2017)? I want to continue reading the Game of Thrones books digitally instead of buying physical copies and it seems like a great alternative

ara

Oct 26, 2017
The app is fantastic. I actually prefer it over the Kindle Paperwhite I have for home reading due to the latter's slow e-ink display and the heavy blue tone of the background lights.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
If it's out of AppleCare, they'll just offer to replace it for an obscene price. That's really all they can do with iPads, either restore the OS or replace the whole thing, no matter what's wrong with them.

Note that this is for the US, if you're in a different country you might have some consumer protection claim or something.

Here's a list of US repair prices (I know it says screen damage but really it's anything non-software):
https://support.apple.com/ipad/repair/screen-damage

Thanks. I'm hoping they could at least restore it completely for me. I think Canada's AppleCare terms is about the same in the US.

Booked an appointment today, I'm hoping they could at least restore it completely. 🙏

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we see a pretty quick refresh of the MacBook Pros to Ice Lake. Part of me would like to wait until late 2019 to see what other improvements a fall refresh would bring, but I'm about ready to replace my 15" Skylake MBP.

I guess if I had to make a wishlist:
-Native 1680x1050x2 resolution, if not higher
-Native 10-bit HDR display with UHD Netflix support
-Improved keyboard reliability and depth
-No TouchBar. If they leave it in, improve the screen quality.
-Increased resolution of the webcam
-FaceID
-Continued migration of iOS silicon to MacBooks
-Lighter
-Cheaper/Cheaper storage upgrades

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the iPad is dead. The three Genius Bar technicians I dealt with tried the same method I was doing to restore it, and made multiple attempts in the span of almost two hours.

So, dead iPad. 🤷‍♂️

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
What do y'all think about these reports of a new iPad mini? Seems like there's a few credible leaks of something like an iPad mini 5. Same kind of form factor, but upgraded insides, and maybe some new features.

Sounds appealing to me, I want to upgrade from a mini 2. Reports even suggest a headphone jack. Maybe hoping for USB c would be too much.

I wonder how Apple might price such a device.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
What do y'all think about these reports of a new iPad mini? Seems like there's a few credible leaks of something like an iPad mini 5. Same kind of form factor, but upgraded insides, and maybe some new features.

Sounds appealing to me, I want to upgrade from a mini 2. Reports even suggest a headphone jack. Maybe hoping for USB c would be too much.

Starting at sub-$300 USD maybe? If they retain the $329 price point of the 9.7" at least.

Would like something that follows closely to the design of the Pros, though I can understand if they decided to make a clearer design distinction between regular and Pro lines.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I want one. I love my 12.9 for everything except reading before bed. Then it's just a giant hassle.

As for price, right now the mini 4 is $399 but only comes in one storage size, 128GB. Assuming the new mini 5, along with the iPad 7th gen continues to start at 32GB, it would make sense that it starts lower.

However, given that Apple is on a tear of increasing prices across the board, I can see them ignoring the giant success that having the regular iPad be so (relatively) cheap brings and raise its price to $399 while pricing the mini at the old $329 or higher.

Or maybe hell will freeze over and the iPad 7th gen stays at $329 while the mini 5 debuts at $299 or something. Assuming they standardize the internals and make it so you're literally only choosing between the screen size (like they've done with the iPhone XS, iPad Pro, and Apple Watch, much to my and others' delight) while everything else stays the same, it could be a compelling product, and a reason to dip below $300 for the mini.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the word on these battery cases? I actually play a lot of games on my phone so it could be quite beneficial.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
So I'm def getting a Mac someday but I have an idea of since I own an iPad Pro why don't I try to use it like a PC like people say?

So I'm going to grab that new iPad Pro keyboard case tomorrow and push this thing to the limits.

The one hitch I have is that I need a case to hold it to take it with me everywhere. Anybody have any good ideas or videos on the subject?
Another question, I have heard I can use my phone to give a internet hotspot?
Can I do this with my iPad anywhere? Is this going to basically use the same data as if if I was using my phone or so much more it isn't worth it?

Thanks in advance.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm def getting a Mac someday but I have an idea of since I own an iPad Pro why don't I try to use it like a PC like people say?

So I'm going to grab that new iPad Pro keyboard case tomorrow and push this thing to the limits.

The one hitch I have is that I need a case to hold it to take it with me everywhere. Anybody have any good ideas or videos on the subject?
Can I do this with my iPad anywhere? Is this going to basically use the same data as if if I was using my phone or so much more it isn't worth it?

Thanks in advance.
You can use any iOS device that has a cellular connection (with SIM card and data plan) as a hotspot for any other device.
If it's within the Apple Device ecoysystem, your "cellular" device will just show up in your wireless networks (even though it's not acting as a hotspot yet) and you can activate its hotspot function straight from the "client" device.
If it's a Windows or Android device, you can turn on "personal hotspot" on your iOS device manually, and you'll just see the WiFi network on whatever client device in proximity.

It uses your iPhone's or iPad's data plan, yes. But it doesn't use "more" or "less" data than if your client device were to connect to the LTE network directly - i don't think there's any technical overhead.
Your "client" device does, however, consider itself to be connected to a WiFi network, so certain functions it doesn't (or doesn't automatically) do when on cellular, like updating apps, uploading your photos to iCloud, it might do when connected via another device's hotspot.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can use any iOS device that has a cellular connection (with SIM card and data plan) as a hotspot for any other device.
If it's within the Apple Device ecoysystem, your "cellular" device will just show up in your wireless networks (even though it's not acting as a hotspot yet) and you can activate its hotspot function straight from the "client" device.
If it's a Windows or Android device, you can turn on "personal hotspot" on your iOS device manually, and you'll just see the WiFi network on whatever client device in proximity.

It uses your iPhone's or iPad's data plan, yes. But it doesn't use "more" or "less" data than if your client device were to connect to the LTE network directly - i don't think there's any technical overhead.
Your "client" device does, however, consider itself to be connected to a WiFi network, so certain functions it doesn't (or doesn't automatically) do when on cellular, like updating apps, uploading your photos to iCloud, it might do when connected via another device's hotspot.

I'm pretty sure iOS is smart enough to know when it's connected to a phone's hotspot instead of WiFi and not do crazy stuff like backing up. There's a different symbol for it and everything.

Do know it's gonna drain your phone battery like mad, however.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

Thanks in advance.

A screenshot for reference to what Fliesen explained.
screenshot2019-01-18ayik7a.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Messenger redesign is pretty solid. For once they've reduced the visual noise and cruft and streamlined the interface.

They also very much applied iOS 1x design aesthetics and guidelines so it fits pretty perfectly with the system apps.

Whisper it, Facebook did something good that wasn't a developer framework.