• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
So.. unless I'm missing something, there is no way to purchase iPad apps without an iPad, unless you still use iTunes 12.6, right?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally upgraded my 2012 MacBook Air to a new MacBook Pro. This thing is beautiful and fast...finally I don't have to load individual photos to work on them anymore.

Only downside so far is I have an old ass 24" Dell monitor that doesn't have HDMI or a DisplayPort. Need to get some cable adaptors for now I guess. But when I do get a new monitor, should I roll with USB-C to HDMI or DisplayPort?

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Didn't realize there was an OT, I've been using the iPhone X thread.

Checked out the 15" MBP last night while I was buying Airpods, but I enjoy being married. My XPS 13 is a bit too small for my use now, though.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was considering it for awhile, but all of my meetings are away from my desk and I need to be able to work on the fly.

It would be replacing two machines for me. One windows laptop that's so heavy it might as well be a desktop, and a 13" 2016 mbp. I would just boot camp the 5K and be totally, totally fine with that.

For what I do (school) morning iPad Pro is more than enough for when I'm mobile

I swear by the 27 inch 5k/iPad Pro 10.5/iPhone SE power combo.

IMO, it's the definitive small, medium, and large way to work anywhere.

I would be running 5K, iPad Pro 10.5, and iPhone X

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I've made fun of android for years for a similar bug that made it out into the wild, this is fucking embarrassing.

Stop pushing out yearly updates if you can't properly test the basics.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
The root account is supposed to not allow logins, so not having a password set makes sense (and why setting one fixes the problem)— whatever is supposed to keep you from using it isn't working though. For whatever reason the protections work on the command line. These protections work fine in 10.12.

Deleted member 1062

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
seems extremely shitty and irresponsible to me to find that bug and just drop it onto Twitter putting millions at risk. I hope they at least tried to tell Apple first

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
seems extremely shitty and irresponsible to me to find that bug and just drop it onto Twitter putting millions at risk. I hope they at least tried to tell Apple first

Fortunately this exploit isn't attackable via ssh. I'm curious why the security on the WindowServer changed in 10.13 though. But I agree, dumping an exploit on Twitter like that was really irresponsible and will probably cause real hacking incidents.

Oct 27, 2017
IAMROOT issue hotfix is out now btw.

jD5AJ9N.png

Anyone on High Sierra needs to make sure they are on 10.13.1 and then the update to fix the issue will be available to you. Upon successful installation the build number for the OS (in about this Mac) will be 17B1002.

If you are on 10.13.0 you will need to update to 10.13.1 first. If you are one of the peeps who like to live dangerously and use betas on your personal machines, I have no info to give you for now but the fix may find its way into future betas.

Mea Cupla from Apple:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
What's the best super-thin case for an iPhone 8? I love how the phone looks, but it's super slippery. So looking for something like a transparent silicon skin for it or something. Maybe even something that just covers the outer rim, and doesn't have anything over the back glass.

This(the jet black one) looks fine, but seems like it's hard plastic or something? So might not really help with the slipperiness.

Oct 25, 2017
All I see is that one comment copypasted around but still couldn't find any official page with an apology.
Statement given to Gruber directly from Apple PR:

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2017/11/29/high-sierra-root-login-fix

Security is a top priority for every Apple product, and regrettably we stumbled with this release of macOS.

When our security engineers became aware of the issue Tuesday afternoon, we immediately began working on an update that closes the security hole. This morning, as of 8:00 a.m., the update is available for download, and starting later today it will be automatically installed on all systems running the latest version (10.13.1) of macOS High Sierra.

We greatly regret this error and we apologize to all Mac users, both for releasing with this vulnerability and for the concern it has caused. Our customers deserve better. We are auditing our development processes to help prevent this from happening again.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
It's good that they fixed this so fast and came out so strongly with an apology. Though they kind of had to since they hang their hat these days on privacy and security.

I hope their whole QA process gets overhauled. iOS 11 and High Sierra are both still not where they should be in terms of bugs. But I guess there's probably a strong tension between staying competitive in the marketplace and releasing quality software and doing so at an enormous scale.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
High Sierra has been a shitshow frankly. APFS conversion fucked my drive. Keychains could be easily read by apps. Disk Utility saved encrypted drives' passwords as the password hint. You could easily root any Mac with no password. eGPU support isn't shipping as stable until spring. I struggle to think of any positive benefit I've gained from 10.13 other than UI animations being smoother on my MBP's iGPU.

For a "Snow Leopard" style optimization update they sure fucking managed to break a lot of stuff.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
iOS 11 is in the same boat for fucking things up for a lot of people

2017 is not Apple's strongest software year, hopefully they can reflect and fix this stuff.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
High Sierra has been a shitshow frankly. APFS conversion fucked my drive. Keychains could be easily read by apps. Disk Utility saved encrypted drives' passwords as the password hint. You could easily root any Mac with no password. eGPU support isn't shipping as stable until spring. I struggle to think of any positive benefit I've gained from 10.13 other than UI animations being smoother on my MBP's iGPU.

For a "Snow Leopard" style optimization update they sure fucking managed to break a lot of stuff.

To be fair, Snow Leopard wasn't a polished product out of the gate, either. The switch to yearly updates hurt OS X development, and probably hurts iOS as well. But High Sierra seems especially bad for a maintenance release, and there really hasn't been much forward movement on macOS features in the past few years. It seems like they have most of their "A team" employees (to use a Jobs parlance) on iOS these days. I would love for this to be a moment internally where Tim says, "Enough is enough." But I won't be holding my breath.

Deleted member 1062

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
everything the company does is all laser focused on shipping a new iPhone in September every year and having a flagship new version of software to go with it. everything is all about hitting that date, quality be damned

Oct 27, 2017
I've been disappointed with the state of Apple's software development considering High Sierra was supposed to be the Snow Leopard style "refinement" release that improves quality.

...but then again, Snow Leopard was the release that had the bug where someone using a guest account would wipe the stuff from your main account iirc.

In any case, I know these guys work hard and software is just hard full stop, but they can't keep going the way they are going (as icespide says) everything being laser focused on an iPhone in September/OS to go with it quality be damned. It's damaging the reputation for quality that Apple used to be known for. Their stuff just isn't getting the time in the ovens that it needs.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think people understand how truly nervous normal users are to update their stuff. Screw ups like these cause damaging rumors and reputations that last for years and years

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
So I'm thinking of getting an Apple Watch for the the wife and one for myself. Maybe it'll help us with keeping fit & active during the new year.

Unfortunately I came to this idea a week after black friday sales. Is there any place I should keep an eye on that rounds up Apple sales?

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm thinking of getting an Apple Watch for the the wife and one for myself. Maybe it'll help us with keeping fit & active during the new year.

Unfortunately I came to this idea a week after black friday sales. Is there any place I should keep an eye on that rounds up Apple sales?

Apple refurbs are great. They have older models on discount. Might be perfect for someone taking a small initial plunge.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't sure where to put this, as I couldn't find the Mac/Apple Hardware/Software or anything more specific three, so thought I'd give it a go here.

Are there any writing apps (for Mac) that keep track of repeating words in paragraphs? It is something I am susceptible to unfortunately, and I am looking for a program to help me out. I own both Scrivener and Ulysses but the word counters don't seem to offer actual counts of specific words, which would be equally useful.

Any tips?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So it may be a Twitter prank but some reputable sources are talking about it, apparently iPhone get caught in a reboot loop every 10-30 seconds when the date changes to December 2 depending on factors like time zone. Will keep a lookout for any official reporting

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it may be a Twitter prank but some reputable sources are talking about it, apparently iPhone get caught in a reboot loop every 10-30 seconds when the date changes to December 2 depending on factors like time zone. Will keep a lookout for any official reporting

Not a Twitter prank. Seems to be a bug with local scheduled notifications. If you have apps that send you local notifications (like a meditation app that reminds you to use it once a day, or stuff like Duolingo reminding you to practice) you should shut their notifications and background app refresh off.