• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 394 64.0%
  • iPad

Votes: 446 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 535 86.9%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 405 65.7%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 308 50.0%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.1%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I have a question: If you chose to pre-install Final Cut Pro when you buy a Mac, does that app automatically get added to your account when you log in? Or does that app stay on one Mac forever?

Should attach it to your AppleID. Apple doesn't do per-machine licensing.

That said, I don't really get the point of those software add-on BTO options these days. It takes me all of five minutes to install the software from the Mac App Store myself. It feels like a weird legacy when it took six DVDs to get Final Cut Studio on your machine.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
There are 4 options for Apple Watch series 3. Is there any difference on it beside the bands? Like different materials or build quality? There's quite a difference in price on each model. I mean it can't be just the band right?

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are 4 options for Apple Watch series 3. Is there any difference on it beside the bands? Like different materials or build quality? There's quite a difference in price on each model. I mean it can't be just the band right?

Aside from the GPS models having only 8GB of storage and the LTE models having 16, they are all functionally identical outside of band and case materials.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the prices of apple watch hermes and watch editions means it has different materials on it compared to the regular and nike edition?

Also, is there any rumour on what is the next apple watch?

The Apple Watch Hermès is made of stainless steel with premium handmade leather bands, the Apple Watch Edition is made of ceramic. The bottom-end and Nike editions are simple aluminum and glass with polyurethane or nylon bands, and there is a step-up option with a stainless steel case and sapphire glass with a few different band options. There's leather bands, steel bands, nylon bands, etc.

All the series 3 models have the same performance, displays, waterproofing, etc. though. It's purely a matter of how "nice" of a Watch you want (and whether you want LTE and extra storage for music).

The main rumor for the next Watch is bigger displays in the same case sizes, by reducing the bezel.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Posting here too..

Welp, this just happened. :D

img_20180721_150137-chyixs.jpg

Ended up returning the XPS 15 and got one of the new 15" 2.6ghz/16gb/512gb rMBPs. I didn't realize how much OS X had spoiled me after 5 years with my old MBP. Apple has caught me in their web.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone use the watch for running? I'm finding extremely varying results exporting from the Health/Workouts app to Strava. I've used both RunGap and Healthfit and all post very different split times so I've not got a clue which was accurate. Even the elevation is different between both RunGap and HealthFit!

I'd upload screenshots but can't find a
way to upload them here.

I want to make sure I know what you're saying, you run using the built-in Workout app, and it looks a certain way in Apple Health, but when you export to other apps the data changes?

Oct 29, 2017
I want to make sure I know what you're saying, you run using the built-in Workout app, and it looks a certain way in Apple Health, but when you export to other apps the data changes?

Yep.

So I use the built in Workout app and I use Strava from when I've always had a Garmin so I like to keep my runs tracked there too.

I did some research and both RunGap and HealthFit can export to Strava from Workouts. I've tried both for different runs and both have quite different data in Strava after the export than what was recorded in Workouts originally.

So I've taken one single run, exported it with RunGap and HealthFit to Strava and you can see that Workouts, the RunGap export showing in Strava and the HealthFit export showing in Strava all show very different data.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep.

So I use the built in Workout app and I use Strava from when I've always had a Garmin so I like to keep my runs tracked there too.

I did some research and both RunGap and HealthFit can export to Strava from Workouts. I've tried both for different runs and both have quite different data in Strava after the export than what was recorded in Workouts originally.

So I've taken one single run, exported it with RunGap and HealthFit to Strava and you can see that Workouts, the RunGap export showing in Strava and the HealthFit export showing in Strava all show very different data.

Very strange. Do you have the specific metrics that have changed? Is it big stuff like total distance or things like pace?

Also I came across a super annoying watchOS 5 beta bug: asking Siri to play a song when in range of the iPhone used to start playback on said iPhone, now the watch just complains there's no audio device connected to it. Like yeah I know, use the phone!

Oct 29, 2017
Very strange. Do you have the specific metrics that have changed? Is it big stuff like total distance or things like pace?

Also I came across a super annoying watchOS 5 beta bug: asking Siri to play a song when in range of the iPhone used to start playback on said iPhone, now the watch just complains there's no audio device connected to it. Like yeah I know, use the phone!

Distance is the same, it's the splits that are all completely out between all three.

So for example, my first mile splits:

Workouts - 10'09"
Strava 1 - 9'44"
Strava 2 - 10'57"

I can't remember which of the Strava uploads are RunGap or HealthFit but as you can see, they all vary wildly.

On your bug, I think that's an iOS 12 issue as I have the problem too and I'm still on Watch OS 4.3.2 or whatever the latest one is but I'm on iOS 12.

On my run yesterday, I was wearing my Aftershokz earphones and I asked Siri to play an album. I could've swore it worked fine before but now it was just saying it couldn't find my AirPods. My phone was on me so it should've worked fine. Looking at what you've said, it looks like it's an iOS 12 issue?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Distance is the same, it's the splits that are all completely out between all three.

So for example, my first mile splits:

Workouts - 10'09"
Strava 1 - 9'44"
Strava 2 - 10'57"

I can't remember which of the Strava uploads are RunGap or HealthFit but as you can see, they all vary wildly.

On your bug, I think that's an iOS 12 issue as I have the problem too and I'm still on Watch OS 4.3.2 or whatever the latest one is but I'm on iOS 12.

On my run yesterday, I was wearing my Aftershokz earphones and I asked Siri to play an album. I could've swore it worked fine before but now it was just saying it couldn't find my AirPods. My phone was on me so it should've worked fine. Looking at what you've said, it looks like it's an iOS 12 issue?

Super strange about the run data, sorry I don't have any more info, I've never messed with exporting data from health.

Appreciate the info about it being an iOS 12 issue. I submitted some feedback on it noting both my iPhone and watch beta builds so hopefully that gets resolved, that's my primary way of changing music as I'm driving.

Oct 29, 2017
Super strange about the run data, sorry I don't have any more info, I've never messed with exporting data from health.

Appreciate the info about it being an iOS 12 issue. I submitted some feedback on it noting both my iPhone and watch beta builds so hopefully that gets resolved, that's my primary way of changing music as I'm driving.

I was just thinking about it and I think I've read people have had GPS isssues on iOS 12. I think I'll downgrade to 11 again and see if that fixes the exports.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So I'm trying to update my 2018 iMac and it gets stuck on restarting. This is for the latest software update for High Sierra.

Basically, it gets to the black screen with the Apple logo and progress bar. But it stays on Restarting for hours. And the progress barely moves. It's at 5 percent. For hours.

Anyone knows how to fix this?

Didn't have a problem with my 2012 MBP.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm trying to update my 2018 iMac and it gets stuck on restarting. This is for the latest software update for High Sierra.

Basically, it gets to the black screen with the Apple logo and progress bar. But it stays on Restarting for hours. And the progress barely moves. It's at 5 percent. For hours.

Anyone knows how to fix this?

Didn't have a problem with my 2012 MBP.

You can do a force restart by holding the button on the touch bar. If it needs to install more it will pick it back up after the restart. It shouldn't kill your install.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
You can do a force restart by holding the button on the touch bar. If it needs to install more it will pick it back up after the restart. It shouldn't kill your install.
I did force restart. My issue is getting the update to complete. Every time I tried to update this happens. I ran Disk Utility first aid and no problems.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Think i know the answer to this but any tech help would be appreciated ( If this is the correct thread for this?)

Iphone 6 just randomly died. Not charging, even with two different cables, not apple logo, black screen, and holding down power buttons+ volume doesnt factory reset it and computer wont recognise it as a device.

Guessing theres no other secret way to bring it back to life?

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
So I made a 200GB partition of my 500GB SSD on my iMac, using bootcamp. And I installed Windows 10.

Now my iMac wont restart into MacOS or Windows 10 unless I unplug all my external HDD drives. It will just hang with a black screen for a really long time, even if I select the startup disk in MacOS before restarting.

I am thinking of uninstalling the bootcamp partition if I can't fix this problem. I don't want to have to unplug all my external drives every time I restart macOS. Any fixes? Thanks!

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
Anyone know why my iPhone Photo Library size on iCloud is 109GB even though it says Storage in settings is saying Photo Library is 127GB? Does iCloud not upload everything or something?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the latest High Sierra, with Safari Version 12.0 (13606.1.24.40.1). Trying to open a private browsing window does nothing. Well, seemingly does nothing. Instead, a new private window is created but it's hidden, and I have to select it by long clicking the Safari icon in the dock. Even "show all windows" does nothing; only long clicking the dock icon will create the private window.

Anyone seeing this?

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Hi there. Got a question about the iPad Pro.

Is there any way to scale text and images in Safari, or will I have to find another browser to use? For such a large, high-res screen, it's just baffling that websites without mobile versions look way too zoomed in. Some look more or less the same as they do on my iPhone SE.

Pretty much everything else I love about it. Would be a perfect laptop replacement if I could just browse with a slightly less cramped screen,

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Hi there. Got a question about the iPad Pro.

Is there any way to scale text and images in Safari, or will I have to find another browser to use? For such a large, high-res screen, it's just baffling that websites without mobile versions look way too zoomed in. Some look more or less the same as they do on my iPhone SE.

Pretty much everything else I love about it. Would be a perfect laptop replacement if I could just browse with a slightly less cramped screen,
I don't think there's any setting (tbh I never really noticed what you are describing so I'm not sure what you're looking for... unless you mean stuff like blown up mobile sites with lots of wasted space? I just load the desktop version by using the provided link or by holding refresh icon and selecting request desktop).

Depending on the content you might want to try reader view (left icon in the address bar). You might however be lucky since Shortcuts Extensions in iOS 12 will support custom JavaScript code that you can apply to a site, so it might be possible to adjust that on the fly if need be? We'll have to wait and see on that one since the app to create these is still in closed beta

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Best way I can describe it is like using a desktop browser, but with the scale set to 200%.
Thanks, though. I'll look around in the options and try reader view. See if those help.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Best way I can describe it is like using a desktop browser, but with the scale set to 200%.
Thanks, though. I'll look around in the options and try reader view. See if those help.
Do you have any accessibility settings enabled like Larger Text that might be scaling stuff up in apps that use dynamic text scaling (like Safari)?

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Do you have any accessibility settings enabled like Larger Text that might be scaling stuff up in apps that use dynamic text scaling (like Safari)?
Had a check of that. Got the text set to the second smallest and still sites like bandcamp only shows three albums per row with huge album art. Or various (embarrassing) art sites that look way to big and crushed up on the screen.
It's not a terrible deal breaker, just makes navigating some sites slightly more awkward than needed.

It's been surprisingly hard to search for details on this, but if there's another browser for iOS that has scaling options, I'd be interested in swapping over.

Last edited:

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
If I try pinching to zoom out, it just goes to the view of currently open pages.

Best I can gather is that there's some kind of maximum scale that Safari on iOS can handle? Viewport, or something? I've no idea.

There is a Larger text setting in the accessibility settings. It goes up to 5x scale. 5x is very big.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
My new MBP is coming in today!

I want to do some Windows virtualization stuff, because if I need to build for UWP I need to do it in Windows. I'm getting a little tired of booting into Windows every time and slowing down my workflow.

Should I get VMWare or Parallels? I always feel like they're so similar. I need to run Unity, but without super fancy graphics (it's for augmented reality development). I'll still make a boot camp partition (in case I need full fat Windows, for games and such), so ideally I'd run the boot camp partition in the virtualized environment.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
So I was thinking about upping the ram in my Late 2015 5K iMac 4GHz i7 with a 500GB SSD.

I currently have 16GB ram. I am usually using around 12GB ram according to activity viewer.

Another 16GB ram from crucial is around $150 for two 8GB sticks.

I don't do video editing or anything super taxing.

Just wondering if another 16GB would make my computer feel better over the life of the machine. I hope to keep the machine for a long time and use it until it breaks and isn't worth repairing or until it feels really slow.

My impression is the RAM prices are increasing over time, rather than going down.

Any opinions? Thanks!

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Got my new 2018 MBPro today, it was a mistake to install Mojave on it though.

1) The brightness settings of the screen do not work, it is constantly dim
2) It did not recognize my LG Ultrafine 5k display when connected

Downgrading.. will be waiting a while before upgrading to Mojave, even after it is released.

Oct 25, 2017

Downgrading.. will be waiting a while before upgrading to Mojave, even after it is released.

Don't. Install. Betas. On. Your. Main. Machine.

Even.Public. Betas.

I'm still on 10.12 on a couple of my machines. When 10.14.1 or .2 comes out I'll probably wipe my machines and perform a clean install. Haven't done it since 10.10.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017

Making this decision basing your experience on the beta is dumb though

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
On my Late 2016 13" rMBP the Mojave beta is running pretty smooth. I haven't so far had experienced any bug that prevented me from doing anything in my workflow. All my essential programs currently work.