• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Great news but the one thing I'm still unsure about - doesn't Apple only support lower bit rate Bluetooth codecs? Will the lossless audio be much use when it's constrained by audio bitrates?

Oct 26, 2017
I would much prefer an open standard format for 3D music than something that is encumbered with Dolby patents.

Also, an iPhone speaker or iPad speaker is not going to output "dolby audio". that's just marketing. I doubt even my Airpods pro will benefit in any real way.

The only current device to definitely, really benefit from this will be the Airpod Max, which was built and engineered and tested for it. And those are the headphones that will be used to demo it. Believe that :)

I'm sure newer apple headphones will benefit from it, but not existing ones. There is no magic.

Also, lossless audio is a scam for 99% of people. So i'm just going to round it up to 100% and say it's a scam if you don't mind.

And if you do mind, please take this test first to find out if you're one of the 1%.

As I predicted, I can not hear the difference, and I have a well rated speaker setup. I will continue to ignore this scam, thank you :)

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is the only way music streaming services can evolve now.

I had 3 months of Tidal Hifi (lossless) for 3 bucks and when the promo ended I downgraded to the standard subscription (320kbps AAC) and I can't really tell much of a difference between them.

Dez

Oct 27, 2017
What about for those of us with AVRs with atmos speaker setups. Any idea if this will work with AirPlay or AppleTV?

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Gen 3 Airpods with H1 chip probably around the corner. No extra cost is crazy, putting the pressure on Spotify.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
This is great. Wish they'd overhaul the Mac Music app though. It's buggy as hell.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No extra cost is amazing. Genuinely wasn't expecting that. To get the true experience of Lossless, which I'm sure some will have mentioned, you will need a DAC of some sort.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Just replaced my AirPods pros with Sony XM4s, will I notice a bump in quality with lossless too?
I'm sure spatial audio will be much more exciting than losless. My brother-in-law uses Tidal and is convinced to hear a difference with his expensive setup at home. Well, I don't hear shit lol. I recently bought some good headphones from Philips and that was quite the jump in quality. It will be interesting to see if I can hear a difference with them

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Where? The cheapest I see them online is $239.
I'm not American so I can't point you to a price website, but if there's no sale now, there will be.

Here in Europe I can get them straight from Amazon for under 195 right now, amongst other retailers, so I doubt it will be long for one to pop up stateside.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Awesome. After the Tidal MQA debacle with them not truly delivering lossless I'm glad I have a better choice now.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand the appeal of spatial audio... like why would I want to hear music above my head?

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome for audio. I honestly think if you pay to stream music you should be entitled to at least FLAC quality. Anything higher than that I understand having to pay an extra cost.

Now just get out there and buy some non-wireless headphones, lol.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I wonder if the new AirPods soon to be announced will have a better driver to up the sound quality. It might make them better than the AirPods Pro for music quality but I am sure they can change that in the next version of the pro.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
This is great--Spotify has the best algorithim, Apple works best with my devices, Tidal has the best sound quality. So getting rid of Tidal is now an option.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
So is Music in Atmos supported from the AppleTV then? Unclear from the OP...

Edit: Website says it is.

Last edited:

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Your move, Spotify.

Considering Spotify just emailed me to say they were increasing the cost of the family plan, they had better be reconsidering any thoughts they were having of charging extra for their "HiFi" tier, given this news and Amazon Music earlier.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I of course have no idea yet how it sounds in Apple Music. But if it's working as in Apple TV the music will come from the direction defined by Dolby Atmos. I'm not sure why anyone would put music above your head?

DJ Atmos coming at you with the hottest new surround mixes this week on Group Therapy 45184 from Above & Beyond

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Shit... Apple did something that I overwhelmingly approve of.

Is it already the apocalypse? I thought I had more time...

Hopefully this pushes Spotify to do the same thing.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Spatial Audio is awesome news, I just wish Blu-ray audio became the new CD Music standard and I could buy them for decent prices.

Music subs are a waste of money for me, had 4 months Apple Music for free and used it maybe twice, lol.

But I'm definitely gonna try out some surround albums, if my shitty non Apple hardware is deemed worthy to use it.

Contraband

Nov 15, 2017
Hannah, Montana
Great news but the one thing I'm still unsure about - doesn't Apple only support lower bit rate Bluetooth codecs? Will the lossless audio be much use when it's constrained by audio bitrates?

So in regards to Apple & Bluetooth - from what I am aware of, the W1/H1 chips in combination with ALAC will enable streaming at 24-Bit / 48khz & 24-Bit / 192khz. Right now I believe streaming quality is set to 16-Bit.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I think I will get some AirPods - got myself Apple Music recently and loving it so this is great news

I use it practically everyday driving to and from work

During my break time and when I browse the web at home too

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
My house has a bi-amped 7.1 Dolby Atmos surround-sound home theater that I regularly play Spotify on. If this is coming in June I'll have to get Apple Music to try on my system.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I have AirPod Pros but I'm not expecting enough of a difference to warrant switching from Spotify.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most important bit is missing from the op:

Apple Music's Lossless tier starts at CD quality, which is 16 bit at 44.1 kHz (kilohertz), and goes up to 24 bit at 48 kHz and is playable natively on Apple devices. For the true audiophile, Apple Music also offers Hi-Resolution Lossless all the way up to 24 bit at 192 kHz.

Due to the large file sizes and bandwidth needed for Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless Audio, subscribers will need to opt in to the experience. Hi-Res Lossless also requires external equipment, such as a USB digital-to-analog converter (DAC).

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
What about for those of us with AVRs with atmos speaker setups. Any idea if this will work with AirPlay or AppleTV?

The PR says it's coming to tvOS, so unless someone is using their Apple TV to route music to their AirPods I assume it'll work.

Edit: https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/17/apple-music-dolby-atmos-all-airpods-models/

You can also hear Dolby Atmos music using the built‑in speakers on a compatible ‌iPhone‌, ‌iPad‌, MacBook Pro, or HomePod, or by connecting your Apple TV 4K to a compatible TV or audiovisual receiver.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My opinions:

CD quality lossless is great. I think the bump of 24 bit tier is going be the most notable. 192kHz no one will notice.
So for me 24 bit / 48kHz is going to be amazing and not kill your bandwidth.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
In the past 24bit and 96kHz or 192kHz I could never tell the difference vs CDs.

BUT 128kbps MP3 vs FLAC from my same CDs I could tell the difference. I never tested Apple's codecs on myself, I imagine ACC has better compression compared to MP3 and it will be harder to tell. And lossless will probably be better on wired than Bluetooth.

But anyways I'm glad we're getting lossless. I might just subscribe to Apple Music. Lossless should be a standard quality setting option on every streaming service.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
No word on offering any old 5.1 album mixes already available, other than that mention of catalog tracks. There's so many 5.1 albums I'd like to hear, like the Talking Heads catalog, I hope they're planning on including those and not just strictly "Atmos" branded albums.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand the appeal of spatial audio... like why would I want to hear music above my head?
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that it should result in a greater sense of space between the instruments. You might get a sound that closer resembles hearing the songs live at a concert.

serdarkny

Nov 10, 2018
I already enjoy the sound quality of AM's AAC files better than whatever Spotify does to encode mp3s so lossless is just icing on the cake. I doubt my old ass iPhone 6 has a good enough built-in DAC to make a noticeable difference but I'm still willing to waste hours comparing both lol.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
If I can get the quad mix of DSOTM, I can retire my dvd-a copy that nothing supports any more anyway.

I would switch to Apple Music if this announcement is coupled with actual releases that will make use of spatial audio

Nov 15, 2020
Is this just for Apple Music, or does it apply to iTunes store purchases? I'm a dinosaur who still buys their music song by song.