• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah yeah yeah. Took a bunch of photos, ended up with a bunch of PITA mov files. More fool me.

My question is: have any of you - indeed, do we think anyone who ever lived - has benefitted from Apple's Live Photos feature, which is on by default, and which turns all your simple photos into files that are a pain in the dick to work with?

Anyone?

In history?

Ever?

empyrean2k

Oct 27, 2017
Only positive I've had is that the 'photo' was blurry beyond belief but a frame in the Live Photo wasn't and I made that the image.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
If I take a group photo and someone blinks. All my photos stay on my phone so it's whatever

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I think live photo would be more useful if the capture duration was slightly longer. As is never found a real use for it

jenya

Oct 27, 2017
They can be nice. I mean you can simply turn it off, so it never bothered me.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
If a photo turns out blurry or I didn't quite capture the right moment, I can look through the frames and find the exact one I was looking for usually. Which is quite astounding tbh.

You can opt out of the feature. So there is nothing to complain about but default bias.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
They're amazing? It's wonderful to go through a photo collection and be able to hold down to see them come to life again.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
My nephew was born the other week. My mom kept sending me photos I dont think she knew were live. It was fascinating and sweet to see him move, being across the country in LA (them Chicago)

rude

Oct 25, 2017
They're nice and add a little more life to a picture when scrolling through them after not looking at them for a while. They're like mini memories.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I don't use them that much, generally have them off, but they're great for shooting things prone to movement while more convenient than burst photography.

OP
OP
daninthemix

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Welp, I stand corrected - lots of people apparently value them.

What I resent is that prior behaviour (point, click, get a jpeg) changed without warning or notifying me, and suddenly I'm lumbered with a bunch of mov files that I need to piss about with before I can transfer or use them.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Grandmas smile at little snips of her grandkid make it worthwhile.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
I used one just a couple of days ago to show my gf who doesn't play games an animated snapshot of Norman Reedus wobbling about across a bridge with an ungainly stack of packages on his back, almost falling over while Low Roar played in the background, to give her an idea of what I was doing that evening when I said I was delivering 100kg of fish to make America whole again.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're brilliant, probably the single greatest innovation in smart phone photography at least that I can remember.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
They're great. Pressing down on a photo to reveal its context is rad. And it's a great backup if the snapshot you took didn't turn out the way you wanted.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I love them. Specially for photos of my daughter, as you can see her playing around. Like someone said, they feel like mini memories that play as you go through, with much more impact than just photos.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I turn the feature on when shooting moving subjects, yeah. Already made for some great short clips.
Also I'm not sure what issues regarding the file format you have, I can work just fine with them and don't have to mess around with mov or anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Amongst Apple's cute throwaway school of ideas, I actually really like Live Photos. People posing for photos inspires a kind formality, and the seconds before and after can be fun to see, little candid windows into the context of a practiced moment. Certainly more interesting to me than Animojis, or feeling a heartbeat through a smart watch.

EDIT: Might in part be due to how they seem to be a reference to the way the fake photo of Rachel's childhood comes alive in Blade Runner as the camera lingers on it.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝

What I resent is that prior behaviour (point, click, get a jpeg) changed without warning or notifying me, and suddenly I'm lumbered with a bunch of mov files that I need to piss about with before I can transfer or use them.
You should get a .jpg or .heic with the same filename, which is the main photo.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Live Photo's are the best. Just this week I was looking back through some Live Photo's of my cat and of my wife. They're so freaking awesome for drawing you into that moment.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're absolutely fantastic and one of Apple's best ideas. You can turn them off easily with one tap in camera and sending them via WhatsApp or whatever makes them still images anyway. What a bizarre thing to hate on.

Wedginald

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I love them, always make sure to enable it on all my photos. As someone said, they are a great little moment in time for that photo, and I have looked back up on photos from a while back and smile when I hit play and see what was going on for those few seconds at that moment. I have enjoyed this feature more than I ever thought I would.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I use them, like them, and I've literally never had to concern myself with the file format or treat them any differently to normal still photos taken with my phone or a proper camera.

They're something else if you have them of family, friends or even pets who've died and can see them smile and move in those moments you photographed.

And, get this, you can turn them off and never touch the feature again at any point.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Let's not forget the photo that someone took of their engagement ring to show off to their friends, only for their fiance to move into shot with his dick waving round during the Live Photo window.

For that faux pas alone, they're brilliant

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
Live Photos are the killer feature of iPhones to me. Decades from now, I'm still going to be watching these little snippets of my daughters being silly.

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
oh, I really like them! it's like jumping back into a moment in time, and it always fills me with joy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah again great for capturing moments of my kids, sometimes accidentally. And fixing photos of someone blinked or had a weird expression.

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
TIL that you can pick other shots from a Live Photo. Thanks!

How can I save one as gif?

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is off but there are times when I see the right one in my gallery and it just hits a soft spot on me nostalgia wise. So I like it overall.

Oct 26, 2017
They're great for capturing little moments when you have kids.

They can be toggled off with a tap in the camera app, so I don't see why the feature would bother anyone.

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
It's an amazing feature. You can use it for doing long exposure (like smoothing out water of a waterfall). Pretty sweet.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

"Without warning" Mmm, I'm not sure that means what you think that means. Lol. Apple told everyone about them months ahead of time, and it's a simple toggle in the camera app.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Love live photos. It's fun going back through my library and listening to what was going on in the background when I snapped the pic.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
They're absolutely fantastic and one of Apple's best ideas. You can turn them off easily with one tap in camera and sending them via WhatsApp or whatever makes them still images anyway. What a bizarre thing to hate on.
I hope you don't think this was invented by Apple, because HTC had basically the same exact thing on their phones a full two years before Apple implemented it.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I think they're good for when the shot you otherwise would've got is bad. Aside from that they don't seem that helpful, might as well just take a video.

Pixel's have a similar feature and I remember getting a notification or something that told me having it on might improve overall photo quality.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Love them. And here in Japan where all phones must make noise when taking a pic the live photo noise is much more subdued than the loud obnoxious non-live sound.

I don't know if one exists but I'd love a digital photo album that could shuffle through and play live photos.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
You don't have to use them. They exist if you want them. I decide beforehand if I want a Live Photo or not and frame/time for that.