• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The cynical side of me says not to trust any megacorp to do anything good for the world without some kind of catch, but if anyone can do it Apple certainly seems like the one that would.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck Apple and their use of slaves

Fuck Apple and their tax dodging

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Meh.

Sounds like a bunch of PR bullshit to me. $100M is peanuts to Apple.

What would ACTUALLY impress me is them agreeing to have 40% minority representation on their board of directors or investing Billions in a free Online Apple University that caters to disadvantaged communities and teaches them something valuable.

OP
OP
Masterz1337

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
i hope for a day where our government is run by progressives so you can think otherwise.

until then, i will take my insulin sponsored by pepsi and go away
It be nice to have a government we can trust with our money,
With respect I'll have to disagree. Good roads, healthcare and strong societal care can only be achieved if we all pay our fair share of taxes. and work towards a government that will enable our taxes be used in a way that benefits us all.

I'm not American but there is no reason Apple INC cant launch this great initiative and pay their fair share of tax the same way the social enterprise I own gives 51% of profits I make away, whilst also paying corporation tax to HMRC at the end of the tax year.
Yeah, no disagreements here. Unfortunately the government here isn't responsible. Ideally they would pay taxes and it would be used responsibly, but in this case they are using their money for a cause, and it gets deducted from their taxes. They're still paying their share to society (and while the argument they should be forced to contribute more, I agree with), but it's going to good causes with this and being used responsibly, which is better than the current alternative.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
man do i not love it when technocratic white overlords "donate" a fraction their stolen money for causes they don't actually understand, trying to position themselves as saviours against a system they themselves propagate

fuck big tech, fuck tim cook

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately the government here isn't responsible. Ideally they would pay taxes and it would be used responsibly, but in this case they are using their money for a cause, and it gets deducted from their taxes. They're still paying their share to society (and while the argument they should be forced to contribute more, I agree with), but it's going to good causes with this and being used responsibly, which is better than the current alternativ

Or they could do this and not get a tax deduction and still pay more taxes and still be our rich overlords.

Oct 27, 2017
Great that Apple is doing this, but you have to wonder why they're only spending $100m when Apple currently has $192b cash on hand... (as of Q32020 earnings reporting)

They could've spent $1b on this project and it still would've been a miniscule investment relative to what they could feasibly spend.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to shit on a positive development, but I think people should keep in mind for a sense of scale that this is only 2% of what they just spent on their new spaceship headquarters. I'm glad they are doing it, but I think we are going to see other gestures like this from tech companies as regulatory scrutiny grows.

We can continue to scrutinize tech companies while also appreciating the contributions. Those aren't mutually exclusive positions.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
We can continue to scrutinize tech companies while also appreciating the contributions. Those aren't mutually exclusive positions.

This was a tough point for me to try and express in this thread. Unfortunately, no one in this thread is willing to talk about the positive impact this will have on PoC in tech and how (again, regardless of the company behind the decision) a great thing to target a younger audience to get more PoC in tech/coding.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

When we are considering philanthropy of huge corporations or individual billionaires, we need to view it through the context of the amount of money they are making,

Even if we were to generously assume that their motives are completely pure and not done for any self-serving PR purposes, the fact that so much of society's wealth is being sucked up by a small number of companies and individuals is so intertwined with these questions of economic & social justice that we can't separate them.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to shit on a positive development, but I think people should keep in mind for a sense of scale that this is only 2% of what they just spent on their new spaceship headquarters. I'm glad they are doing it, but I think we are going to see other gestures like this from tech companies as regulatory scrutiny grows.
I'm sure they also do it for tax purposes. They basically need to make charitable contributions, so why not do a good thing and make a big deal about it? It's a case of our tax system actually doing what it's supposed to.

0h-so-Cold

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 2, 2020
Don't get me wrong I love this news...but where was apples thinking 10 years ago?

Racial Equity, Equality, justice...etc? What does apples board look like?

Screen-Shot-2016-01-15-at-21.26.31.png

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
edit: For the benefit of the thread and what should be a focus on racial injustice, I'm removing my comment since people are trying to twist my words.

Last edited:

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Not even close to what I was expecting when there was said to be an announcement today. Pretty damn interesting.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I find funny about the 'Well, doesn't absolve Apple for being a bad taxpayer!' argument in the post is in what fucking Universe does the United States even come close to doing this on its own accord even if it had the tax windfall.

It's like despite all that's happened, people forget we live in a White Supremacist nation. Like to use an example, all the bad corporate actors standing up to Trump at the 12th hour are solely doing so for self preservation. But that still makes them better than many Americans who actively pushes self-harm politics as long as minorities suffer more.

Apple sucks, but also this hypothetical utopia people would assume would happen.
This is a really bad argument and very disingenuous as people aren't presupposing that the USA would necessarily make good use of the taxes Apple and other such corporations aren't paying. No one is saying America is some utopia but the actions of corporations like Apple aren't at all helping the situation. Real racial equity will come from mostly MASSIVE redistribution policies that ideally would strip corps like Apple of all the money they're hoarding in offshore tax havens and back into the hands of the people. Moves like this which seem fine in a vacuum, completely devoid of context, until you realize that corps like Apple spend a ton of money so they can keep having their offshore accounts and have zero accountability for the damage their extractive business practices causes. When place in that context this is ultimately a self serving move despite the good that will come from it. Billionaire philanthropy is a scam and a lot of people smarter than me have written many words about why that is. And to go a bit further on accountability Apple is accountable to no one but their shareholders. I would rather money like this be democratically accountable then have it up to a profit seeking corp.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds good on the surface, but then you read details like this:

The Apple Developer Academy will offer two programs in Detroit. A 30-day introductory program is designed for learners who are considering app economy careers and looking to better understand what it means to be a developer. The full academy program is an intensive 10- to 12-month program that will help aspiring developers build the skills needed to participate in the iOS app economy, and even start their own businesses.

It then sounds like a lot more self serving because investing in people to create apps means Apple benefits from it in the long run.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong I love this news...but where was apples thinking 10 years ago?

Racial Equity, Equality, justice...etc? What does apples board look like?

Screen-Shot-2016-01-15-at-21.26.31.png

Well first I generally agree with your statement. Tech industry and Silicon Valley is awful for diversity.

But to also be fair, that was 2017 (you can tell by the fact Jony Ive is still on there). Here is updated leadership team:

More diverse than before in 3 years. And well hopefully these initiatives bring about change that will change the makeup and demographics of the tech industry to drive the corresponding leadership.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
A good step and for people complaining about it only being $100 million...it was zero before this so...?!
Do they need to be forced to pay taxes? Yes.
Do they and all electronic makers need to stop using slave labor? Yes.
Do they have the ability to do more? Yes.
Is this a decent first step? Also yes.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Apple is doing a good thing here to try to address racial injustice -- that no one pressured them to do -- and all y'all can talk about is the same old complaints. I'm surprised you didn't bring up the headphone jack and non-removable batteries too.

Jesus Christ, what a terrible post. Criticising Apple for using slaves and child labour = same old complaints?

You seriously going to lump in complaints about headphone jacks and batteries with that?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apple is doing a good thing here to try to address racial injustice -- that no one pressured them to do -- and all y'all can talk about is the same old complaints. I'm surprised you didn't bring up the headphone jack and non-removable batteries too.

Are you really trying to compare complaints about slave labor to those about the removal of a headphone Jack?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, what a terrible post. Criticising Apple for using slaves and child labour = same old complaints?

You seriously going to lump in complaints about headphone jacks and batteries with that?

I'm not equating it nor do I not take the issue seriously, but every Apple thread is disrupted by years-old issues that everyone is aware of.

This thread is about a racial injustice initiative, not Apple's taxes or labor practices or anything else.

On Topic: I do question the efficacy and broadness of this. "Building on its longstanding scholarship program with the Thurgood Marshall College Fund, Apple is also now offering scholarships to 100 new Apple Scholars from underrepresented communities. In addition to financial support, the Apple Scholars program includes mentorship and career development experience at Apple." -- This sounds great, but only 100 people? Why not 1000?

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Great that Apple is doing this, but you have to wonder why they're only spending $100m when Apple currently has $192b cash on hand... (as of Q32020 earnings reporting)

They could've spent $1b on this project and it still would've been a miniscule investment relative to what they could feasibly spend.
how about they accomplish 100M worth of deliverables before making some blanket "billions" promise. I'm sure they will get to the billions over time but imo it's better to focus on concrete things and deliver them and then do more.

Oct 27, 2017
how about they accomplish 100M worth of deliverables before making some blanket "billions" promise. I'm sure they will get to the billions over time but imo it's better to focus on concrete things and deliver them and then do more.

I mean, we're talking about $192b in cash that could be accessed within 90 days. They could EASILY do more - which is what I'm advocating for here. They won't because they think this is enough (and maybe to some it is - I disagree!)

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion, philanthrocapitalism like this is a largely self-serving tax write-off that negligibly remedies a massive national problem to which Apple and others have indirectly contributed for decades. These initiatives are antidemocratic and tend to be short-lived and sorely lack oversight... IN MY OPINION.
Agreed.

0h-so-Cold

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 2, 2020
Well first I generally agree with your statement. Tech industry and Silicon Valley is awful for diversity.

But to also be fair, that was 2017 (you can tell by the fact Jony Ive is still on there). Here is updated leadership team:

More diverse than before in 3 years. And well hopefully these initiatives bring about change that will change the makeup and demographics of the tech industry to drive the corresponding leadership.
Okay glad you said this, wasn't sure of the year but I'm glad I asked the question.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017

you are comparing headphone jacks and batteries to slave labor and ethnically cleaning.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ignoring all of the stupid arguments, this sounds good, but I think it's best to wait and see what happens with projects like this.

All of you arguing about Apple using slave labor or not paying taxes or whatever need to grow up and understand that most things we use at a convenience are only possible by other's suffering.

Things are just incredibly fucked up. I mean, good on Apple for doing this I guess. I'm not screaming from rooftops about it because it's a shame a multi billion dollar company has to do this before the government they 'pay' taxes to did.

Dystopian through and through.

Deleted member 69501

Banned
May 16, 2020
Ignoring all of the stupid arguments, this sounds good, but I think it's best to wait and see what happens with projects like this.

All of you arguing about Apple using slave labor or not paying taxes or whatever need to grow up and understand that most things we use at a convenience are only possible by other's suffering.

Things are just incredibly fucked up. I mean, good on Apple for doing this I guess. I'm not screaming from rooftops about it because it's a shame a multi billion dollar company has to do this before the government they 'pay' taxes to did.

Dystopian through and through.
Yup, this reminds me of an episode in the good place where ppl realized that no one gets to go to the actual good place because even the best of us can't avoid exploiting others. Buy an apple from the store? Probably shipped from a country with high lvls of Proverty, etc.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
This is good. Alongside initiatives like this, please pay your taxes and don't fund shitlords, megacorps. That's literally it.

This is still good.