• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
The only one I truly care about is music. GPM is my source atm and the one album I have on Apple Music always plays when I start my car

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Don't consider it. Do it.

They're going to have to falter on many, many fronts or they're gonna falter themselves.

(A part of me wishes they don't so they sink lol)

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of any instances where I would use it but it still would be nice to have. Maps I guess might be a possibility, but honestly Apple Maps doesn't cause me problems.

I use the Outlook app for work email but I want that pretty separate so I don't think I'd change the default there.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking of getting an iPhone this year and this would cement it. One of the things I'd end up hating the most if I switch is being forced to use apps I don't want to use.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Seriously, a guest mode for iPhone would be so smart to add. They could make it accessible from Control Center. Basically you go to the app you want to lock it to, like Phone, and open CC and tap the button and it would lock the app in place. You'd turn it off by tapping the icon again and entering your passcode or face/finger print. It'd at least be handy to have just in case.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, a guest mode for iPhone would be so smart to add. They could make it accessible from Control Center. Basically you go to the app you want to lock it to, like Phone, and open CC and tap the button and it would lock the app in place. You'd turn it off by tapping the icon again and entering your passcode or face/finger print. It'd at least be handy to have just in case.
You're hired!*
*(but you have to program it to be 3x more convoluted and give it a trendy name or you're fired!)

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Ok not sure what "default app" means in this context.

but I can pretty much use chrome and gmail as the main apps on iOS right now. Some things don't work as easily but for most things you want to do there is a workaround

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Sweet jesus. Apple users were locked into using Safari? I hope to never visit that circle of hell.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Apple should just open up their OS more in general so people can do Android-esque things without jailbreaking. Home screen & lockscreen widgets, simple DNS changes without downloading extra apps, moving apps anywhere you want on the home screen, and so on.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Where do you live though?
Northern Wisconsin. Rural, but we take trips out east to see family. So we usually navigate the Chicago area and some bigger cities in NC. I actually have both apps fuck up more in rural areas tbh.

No locked into, just defaulted. And what's wrong with mobile safari?
Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with it. I mostly use Chrome but Safari is fine.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I've literally ever felt a need for this, but good on Apple I guess.
Sweet jesus. Apple users were locked into using Safari? I hope to never visit that circle of hell.
There's literally nothing wrong with mobile Safari, holy fucking hyperbole batman.
Are you talking about Guided Access?

Use Guided Access - Apple Support

Guided Access limits your iOS device to a single app and lets you control which features are available.
Maybe add a "We'll finally let you arrange apps at the bottom only of the screen" feature as well
Gotta love people coming in here to shit on iOS when they obviously haven't used it in half a decade.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
i want google maps as my default. let's hope it happens because fuck apple maps.

Same. I use Google Maps in CarPlay rather than Apple Maps because Apple Maps is basically where Google Maps was in 2009 functionality and accuracy wise - while somehow being even worse in basic design and UI. CarPlay itself, though, is leagues ahead of Android Auto IMO. It's a give and take.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Same. I use Google Maps in CarPlay rather than Apple Maps because Apple Maps is basically where Google Maps was in 2009 functionality and accuracy wise - while somehow being even worse in basic design and UI. CarPlay itself, though, is leagues ahead of Android Auto IMO. It's a give and take.
This is like the exact opposite of my experience with those apps in CarPlay haha.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I've literally ever felt a need for this, but good on Apple I guess.

There's literally nothing wrong with mobile Safari, holy fucking hyperbole batman.

Are you talking about Guided Access?

Use Guided Access - Apple Support

Guided Access limits your iOS device to a single app and lets you control which features are available.

Gotta love people coming in here to shit on iOS when they obviously haven't used it in half a decade.

I'm referring to apps outside of the dock I want to be able to have my 4 apps in the dock and then any other apps be st the bottom of the screen only with nothing at the top . I have an iphone 11 pro max get out of here with that bullshit

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm referring to apps outside of the dock I want to be able to have my 4 apps in the dock and then any other apps be st the bottom of the screen only with nothing at the top . I have an iphone 11 pro max get out of here with that bullshit
Eh, doesn't really follow the design convention on iOS. It'd be weird to see apps in the bottom row only. I kinda dig that they don't allow this. But maybe they will one day.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use exactly zero Apple apps on my iPhone so this is great news. It's crazy to me that Apple doesn't allow this right now. They must have no confidence in their apps if their forcing people to use them. Here's a tip: Make good apps and people won't want to switch.

Hopefully, they'll also improve widgets. When I had an Android, my entire screen on the left was my Google Calendar and my entire screen on the right was NBA or NFL scores. That's not possible on my iPhone, which is just bizarre to me. I need customization!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
i want google maps as my default. let's hope it happens because fuck apple maps.
I feel like Apple Maps has come a monumental way since it launched. It's my default now and actually trust it more than Google Maps. The only thing I'm angry is missing are multi-stop routing. It's such a weird thing to omit.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Long overdue. Its interesting to see Apple start to cave on a lot of the arbitary limitations of iOS, hopefully theres lots more to come.

jayjay

Oct 27, 2017
I think I am about to try the Outlook app for work emails.

Just be sure to check with your IT department, if you don't use Office 365 hosted Exchange anyway. Outlook for iOS and Android is great, but it does store your login credentials on an external server. It's the reason many companies I know don't allow it.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Default apps plus this are two out of the handful of things preventing me switching to an iPhone.

Allowing these would really tip the scales for me. As it is right now, I end up looking about once a year if it makes sense to switch to iPhone, but each time I find that I'd be giving up just enough in everyday usability that it makes no sense to switch.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
This is great news, but mainly because I hope that it makes Apple make their default apps better. A large part of why I use an iphone is to get away from google. I do use the Outlook app for mail though, it's better than either the built in or gmail IMO.